Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
Hillary Tenton

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CassandraZara
Oct 21, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bernie Simons

ArgumentatumE.C.T.
Nov 5, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Hemingway To Go! posted:

Virtue signaling is always a worse term to use than actually explaining​ yourself.

I have to say that until "fake news", neither side really noticed how lovely it is to make up new buzzwords every day and hope they become hashtags, I remember articles proposing new ones and poo poo. Just keep making new words up to shut others out of your incrowd that fit in a tweet.

but how will we yell at each other on the internet all day and get nothing done if we address people's actual ideas instead of the ideas we ascribe to them from our unique and incompatible interpretation of one of the buzzwords they used eg 'whats wrong with fighting for social justice'

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

i think it was originally about this moralistic song-and-dance routine that progressives felt compelled to do whenever talking about anything political. "as a straight white man, i know that i owe a debt to..." it's a kind of argument that starts with this grand opening gesture and often seemed to be done for self-satisfied and self-involved reasons. or used as a smokescreen for defending the indefensible, like hillary's wall street speeches and the like.

i see the term now used by people on the right to point to any expression of opposing views to be virtue signaling. but i think this reflects an inability of people to see their enemies' "positive" actions as sincere. people think that if their enemies do a "good" thing, then they are faking the "good" part in the service of a sinister (globalist / soros-funded / etc.) agenda.

which was also the problem with the original virtue signaling. if you made an argument, even a progressive argument without doing the "as a [blank]..." song-and-dance routine, then you were treated as being insincere: you haven't checked your privilege. so of course you'd make that argument! you should be silenced!

see this interpretation is reasonable but also kind of divorced from mine

we could argue about something for days if i meant my virtue signalling and he read it as his virtue signalling

that's what the internet is here for

BattleSausage
Aug 14, 2003

I'm butter side up, baby.

Taco Defender
I associate Hillary Clinton with Mortal Kombat 2. It was a very bad movie therefore she will be a very bad president. Vote Sub-Zero('s younger brother) to make America great again.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

i associate hillary clinton with real life, since associating her with a video game implies a level of nonchalant-ness and levity towards her and the threat she is to my country, my party, and my politics, my employment prospects, and anything that may affect my livelihood, that i have sincere hostile hatred for. She is merely an actual loving demon.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

Fake News was real funny though because it immediately boomeranged on its creators because glass houses, stones, etc.

the things those people claim is fake news isn't fake so it isn't glass houses and stones at all.

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

i see the term now used by people on the right to point to any expression of opposing views to be virtue signaling. but i think this reflects an inability of people to see their enemies' "positive" actions as sincere. people think that if their enemies do a "good" thing, then they are faking the "good" part in the service of a sinister (globalist / soros-funded / etc.) agenda.

it's that they can't imagine someone caring about something that doesn't directly affect them so they assume the carer must be doing it just so people will like them.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

the data on fake news as reported by the left and right was like weighted way way way way way towards the right wing consuming more fake news than the left, like an 80/20 split.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Groovelord Neato posted:

the things those people claim is fake news isn't fake so it isn't glass houses and stones at all..

Those people?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

trump has claimed something as "fake news" when it was poo poo his subordinates confirmed on camera.

right wing retards like our glorious leader.

ArgumentatumE.C.T.
Nov 5, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Groovelord Neato posted:

it's that they can't imagine someone caring about something that doesn't directly affect them so they assume the carer must be doing it just so people will like them.

that is not the trending pattern of the accepted definition to be used in this thread at all

Laughing Man
Feb 11, 2008
I thought what I’d do was pretend I was one of those deaf mutes, or something...
is it fake news to say that social engineering is hacking and the russians leaked the illegal dnc emails or just a grossly negligent misrepresentation of the facts and rumors at hand? who is to say really

thoughts and prayers
Apr 22, 2013

Love heals all wounds. We hope you continually carry love in your heart. Today and always, may loving memories bring you peace, comfort, and strength. We sympathize with the family of (Name). We shall never forget you in our prayers and thoughts. I am at a loss for words during this sorrowful time.

never not misdirectin'

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.
using anonymous sources for everything is very hard to prove as fake news, and that seems to be by design

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

ArgumentatumE.C.T. posted:

that is not the trending pattern of the accepted definition to be used in this thread at all

what the gently caress do i care it's what it actually is in practice.

Laughing Man posted:

is it fake news to say that social engineering is hacking and the russians leaked the illegal dnc emails or just a grossly negligent misrepresentation of the facts and rumors at hand? who is to say really

social engineering is by far the most popular form of hacking and the russians are the ones who got the emails so uhh. the dems trying to blame their loss (wrongly) on it doesn't make it less true.

VikingSkull posted:

using anonymous sources for everything is very hard to prove as fake news, and that seems to be by design

hahahahahahahaha holy poo poo.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Groovelord Neato posted:

social engineering is by far the most popular form of hacking and the russians are the ones who got the emails so uhh. the dems trying to blame their loss (wrongly) on it doesn't make it less true.

There's really very little evidence the Russian government was the one who hackes the emils beyond "well who else would do it??" Like literally the only evidence is some cyrillic characters in a file header or something like that.

The hack was in no way sophisticated, it used no zero day exploits or anything. It was literally John Podesta getting an email that said "your password has expired" and believing it.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i know how the gently caress it happened.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Groovelord Neato posted:

But this happened to the rnc too and nothing was leaked?

Did it? Or maybe neither hack was successful and the emails were actually leaked by a DNC insider?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

hahaha was it...seth rich?

ArgumentatumE.C.T.
Nov 5, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Groovelord Neato posted:

what the gently caress do i care it's what it actually is in practice.

oh yeah

oh gently caress yeah

Shitty Wizard
Jan 2, 2013

ASK ME WHY
I VOTED
FOR TRUMP

Groovelord Neato posted:

"This is email security, your email is compromised so change your password by emailing it to me in plaintext"
"okay"

CLEARLY the only reasonable possibility for a high caliber hacking such as this is Russia :smugdog:

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Groovelord Neato posted:

Probably

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

There's really very little evidence the Russian government was the one who hackes the emils beyond "well who else would do it??" Like literally the only evidence is some cyrillic characters in a file header or something like that.

The hack was in no way sophisticated, it used no zero day exploits or anything. It was literally John Podesta getting an email that said "your password has expired" and believing it.

Now, before we assume he's an idiot for that, my employer has me use the same windows login across multiple domains and websites, many of which don't aren't my employer's, and many of which don't even match the name of the service located there. Also the passwords expire every 4 months or so. It would be very easy for someone who doesn't know how the password reset is supposed to work to get phished because they can never be sure what domain name they ought to be seeing.

If the DNC were running that sort of shitshow, they'd be similarly vulnerable.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

VideoTapir posted:

Now, before we assume he's an idiot for that, my employer has me use the same windows login across multiple domains and websites, many of which don't aren't my employer's, and many of which don't even match the name of the service located there. Also the passwords expire every 4 months or so. It would be very easy for someone who doesn't know how the password reset is supposed to work to get phished because they can never be sure what domain name they ought to be seeing.

From what I've read, that's more or less what happened.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
Regardless, it's not exactly a highly sophisticated attack strongly suggestive of a state actor. It could literally be anyone. Not that we know since the DNC refused to allow the FBI to investigate

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

MONTHS LATER IT STILL MATTERS LEAST WHO LEAKED IT SINCE IT IS APPARENTLY REAL AND DAMNING OF THE HIGH LEVEL DNC

BattleSausage
Aug 14, 2003

I'm butter side up, baby.

Taco Defender

VideoTapir posted:

I work for a federal agency and we had the senior database guy infect the network with ransom-ware.

"I just kept getting these pop-ups asking for my admin credentials. I just put in my password to make it go away"

Also the security guy that has access to literally everything had to contact the help desk because his monitor was unplugged. Sleep tight America.

Although, Clinton saying the reason she lost is that Russians showed how corrupt she is...

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

BattleSausage posted:

Although, Clinton saying the reason she lost is that Russians showed how corrupt she is...

SEXISM. That's what you were going to say, isn't it??? Because it IS. SEXISM.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound
There is nothing more sacred than our electoral process and those drat Russians should stay out of it.

*Is simultaneously making an argument in court that elections don't matter and they can do whatever they want.*

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Even her aides want her to shut the gently caress up

But they also unanimously said Clinton needs to rethink her public blaming tour.

“Good God, what is she doing?” one longtime aide wondered after watching Clinton at the Recode conference in California on Wednesday. “She's apparently still really, really angry. I mean, we all are. The election was stolen from her, and that's how she feels. 

“But to go out there publicly again and again and talk about it? And then blame the DNC?” the aide wondered. "It's not helpful to Democrats. It's not helpful to the country, and I don't think it's helpful to her.”

---

“I'm not sure there is a political strategy here,” said Democratic strategist Brad Bannon. “It sounds to me like more of a personal strategy. 

“Complaining about an outcome and blaming everyone else is not a good political strategy,” Bannon added. 

Jamal Simmons, a Democratic strategist, acknowledged some frustration among Democrats over Clinton’s remarks.

“Some people I know are just frustrated that it's happening,” he said. “She is a national hero and a great public servant and has the right to be upset."

But Simmons added that if she's going to discuss the loss, “it would be nice to hear a little more about the things she did wrong, which I believe mattered more than what she has discussed.”

National hero lmfao

FisheyStix
Jul 2, 2008

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
If she is anybody's hero, maybe they should rethink having heroes that are transparently self serving, gently caress everything up and then lose.

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Please disregard my advice w/r/t history.
https://theintercept.com/2017/06/02/hillary-clinton-barack-obama-an-attractive-good-looking-man/

"" posted:

“So I never said I was a perfect candidate, and I certainly have never said I ran perfect campaigns, but I don’t know who is or did,” she told interviewer Kara Swisher. “And at some point it sort of bleeds into misogyny. And let’s just be honest, you know, people who have a set of expectations about who should be president and what a president looks like, you know, they’re going to be much more skeptical and critical of somebody who doesn’t look like and talk like and sound like everybody else who’s been president.”

She then attempted to explain Barack Obama’s success and her failure by complimenting his looks.

“And you know, President Obama broke that racial barrier, but you know, he’s a very attractive, good-looking man with lots of —”

“Well, he’s likable enough,” Swisher quipped, a reference to a remark Obama made in a debate during the 2008 Democratic presidential primaries.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zl4IKItffvw
watch this video lolol

Toadvine fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Jun 5, 2017

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.
I would not put it past her ego to be doing this to force the DNC into backing her in 2020, and if they don't, laying the groundwork to run as an Independent to gently caress them over instead.

She's that vindictive, it seems.

Amarcarts
Feb 21, 2007

This looks a lot like suffering.
Climate change is stone cold real. Look at the massive loss of polar ice.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
She wants to bang Obama.

Fair enough.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017

Amarcarts posted:

meanwhile, Hillary Clinton's skin is synthetic and not real, and covers up a metallic endoskeleton that supports a Rube Goldbergesque collection of gears and pulleys enabling her locomotion

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Amarcarts posted:

Whether it's real and whether anything can be done about it are two different issues

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

This is loving disgusting

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

hilldawg posted:

And let’s just be honest, you 

You wouldn't even know how, you vile bloodsucker.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

tactlessbastard posted:

You wouldn't even know how, you vile bloodsucker.

The cheer after that was hosed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017

Blue Train posted:

The cheer after that was hosed

they sprayed the audience with the same chemical the Russians used to end the Moscow theater siege

• Locked thread