Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

precision posted:

The second one is definitely less than stellar but I did enjoy it. It has a far weaker villain (which is ironic, since it's Moriarty, but the first film had Totally Not Aleister Crowley which really can't be beat).

But the first one is definitely what I would consider the piece of Sherlock Holmes media that I have enjoyed the most. I can't and won't speak to whether it's "the best adaptation of the stories" because, for one, I think the stories are super overrated.
I do enjoy the final confrontation between Holmes and Moriarty, I loved that whole gimmick with Holmes being able to analyze everything in bulletime only to find out that Moriarty could do the same so it became like a battle between two psychics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
The most disappointing thing about RDJ Sherlock Holmes 2 is that they gave the dog its own poster but then never actually had him do anything in the movie to justify it.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Wheat Loaf posted:

Guy Ritchie movies with RDJ are the best major Sherlock Holmes adaptation of the past 10 years or so.

I really liked the first act of the first one. It was fun, stylish, but still kinda grounded. Then it kind of turned into Batman Forever as it went on, with goofy macguffins and ridiculous villains and really ugly CG setpieces.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

MiddleOne posted:

Longer than an actual Sherlock episode even! For those of you not perusing the right threads, the following is the video he's referring to and it's really worth a watch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LkoGBOs5ecM

If I wanted to be reminded why Sherlock is bad, I'd watch any given episode post season 2. I'm not gonna though, because that's the kind of bad television that sticks with you.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

raditts posted:

If I wanted to be reminded why Sherlock is bad, I'd watch any given episode post season 2. I'm not gonna though, because that's the kind of bad television that sticks with you.

Just watch this part.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I really enjoy the part where he breaks down what is wrong with Moffat's Dr Who also.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

If you watch a two hour Youtube video about a show you don't like I think you need better time management. Honestly that would probably also be the truth if you watch any two hour Youtube video.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Oh god, not people watching videos for entertainment!

In the tv thread of all places!

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I just don't understand people who care so much about Sherlock one way or the other. In seven years it has had 13 episodes. That's a whole lot of nothing to get worked up about.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
I'm not really sure what the point of this is. Someone made a video about SHERLOCK and the writer's other work at large. It doesn't need an excuse to exist and if people want to watch it that's up to them. Lord knows plenty of us have spent longer watching far worse.

Anyway, THE KEEPERS takes a pretty dark turn in the second episode. What better way to treat the victim of sexual abuse than to tell her that she was a whore and to have her fellate you because that's where the 'holy spirit' is. It's insane how protected these people were.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Jekyll has an 8.2/10 on IMDB. Hmm...

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

muscles like this! posted:

I just don't understand people who care so much about Sherlock one way or the other. In seven years it has had 13 episodes. That's a whole lot of nothing to get worked up about.

I'm considering watching it and I don't even watch Sherlock (though I have seen a fair bit of modern Dr. Who) because it sounds entertaining and I'm always up for a dumb poo poo roast.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

X-O posted:

If you watch a two hour Youtube video about a show you don't like I think you need better time management. Honestly that would probably also be the truth if you watch any two hour Youtube video.

I turned it on to see what it was and it spent about 40 minutes explaining why Moffatt's tenure as showrunner of Dr Who has been terrible then it got extremely boring because yeah Sherlock is bad, but nobody needs to go on a deep dive as to why.

Also this guy tries excruciatingly hard to be Red Letter Media and fails to the point where you could do another overly long internet video about that.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

McSpanky posted:

I'm considering watching it and I don't even watch Sherlock (though I have seen a fair bit of modern Dr. Who) because it sounds entertaining and I'm always up for a dumb poo poo roast.

The last couple seasons are definitely a very fun hatewatch.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I think Sherlock is fine but nothing special. It doesn't rouse up particularly strong feelings in me though I certainly understand why people hate it. What I have a harder time understanding is why it inspires such fanatacism. It can't just be because Benedict Cumberbatch is good-looking.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I legit think.Benedict looks ugly and his face looks like a warning against incest. His voice on the other hand...

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I can't decide if I should watch The Leftovers or Twin Peaks at 9pm.

Probably The Leftovers since it's the series finale?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Twin Peaks will definitely be up for streaming immediately. How are HBO with that stuff?

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Escobarbarian posted:

Twin Peaks will definitely be up for streaming immediately. How are HBO with that stuff?

I have HBO Now and the stuff is up as soon as it starts airing. The only thing I have noticed is that Last Week Tonight sometimes doesnt go up for a few hours, but I assume thats because of last minute changes and edits since its taped that day.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
the part of that video tearing down how they queer-coded Moriarty as a shorthand for "he's crazy" is extremely on point

i thought it was entertaining to listen to while i played Steam games :shrug:

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

British shows do that a lot. I think the stereotype is called a fop.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

try the new taco place posted:

Speaking of shows for idiots, Kevin Can Wait has let go Erin Hayes (the wife, mother of his kids, etc) for Leah Remini (former cop partner that hates him).

That is ridiculous, even for a lazy CBS multicam. I don't watch, but I did catch a scene with Remini in it a few weeks ago and thought "Wow, they're so desperate for ratings that they're already playing the King of Queen reunion card, huh?"

Also that really sucks for Erin Hayes. I hope she got a nice payout. On the plus side, she doesn't have to work in Long Island anymore.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

McSpanky posted:

Only the first 6 episodes are arguably worth watching for the "dumb poo poo roast" factor. The rest beyond that are just aggravatingly "why did I waste my time on this poo poo" not-even-in-the-fun-way bad.

IRQ posted:

I turned it on to see what it was and it spent about 40 minutes explaining why Moffatt's tenure as showrunner of Dr Who has been terrible then it got extremely boring because yeah Sherlock is bad, but nobody needs to go on a deep dive as to why.

Like yeah Moffat had some real stinkers, but at least he's not Russel T. Davies. He never made a Love and Monsters.

raditts fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Jun 5, 2017

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Season 4 of Sherlock is unimaginably bad. And I liked season 3 a LOT.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

raditts posted:

Only the first 6 episodes are arguably worth watching for the "dumb poo poo roast" factor. The rest beyond that are just aggravatingly "why did I waste my time on this poo poo" not-even-in-the-fun-way bad.

Like yeah Moffat had some real stinkers, but at least he's not Russel T. Davies. He never made a Love and Monsters.

No, he made Let's Kill Hitler. which is actually worse. :colbert:

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Somebody broke the world record in Plinko on The Price is Right the other day, I don't think I will ever experience this much excitement in my life.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=naUppHrHJpI

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

That still doesn't match Aaron Paul's performance

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

Guy Mann posted:

Somebody broke the world record in Plinko on The Price is Right the other day, I don't think I will ever experience this much excitement in my life.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=naUppHrHJpI

Want to know something that'll make any and all enjoyment you experienced at that completely reverse, like a loogie being sucked back up after danging near to the floor? That Ryan dude is a right-wing Trumpkin shitbag.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Apoplexy posted:

Want to know something that'll make any and all enjoyment you experienced at that completely reverse, like a loogie being sucked back up after danging near to the floor? That Ryan dude is a right-wing Trumpkin shitbag.

Well in that case I guess Ryan has flown too close to the sun by having any measure of happiness or fortune that could also make other people feel better about their day and deserves to be dragged back down in Icarian public shaming and scorn.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Guy Mann posted:

Well in that case I guess Ryan has flown too close to the sun by having any measure of happiness or fortune that could also make other people feel better about their day and deserves to be dragged back down in Icarian public shaming and scorn.
He's not just a Trump supporter. He was a Trump delegate at the GOP convention and said "I've been a supporter of his since I was 7 or 8."

This guy is the epitome of MRA Pepe scum.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Jun 5, 2017

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Trump can even rig Plinko. My god :stare:

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
The big wheel on The Price is Right is filled with dead people parts.

People who were killed after failing to win Hole In One (Or Two).

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Open Source Idiom posted:

Literally any excuse to post this .gif, I do.

Possibly the only truly wonderful thing to come out of those later seasons.

I like to think she's redeemed herself from that now on Lucifer.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Josh Lyman posted:

Jekyll has an 8.2/10 on IMDB. Hmm...

Jekyll is good. Sherlock and Dr. Who are later Moffett where he has his head up his rear end.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Open Source Idiom posted:

Literally any excuse to post this .gif, I do.

Possibly the only truly wonderful thing to come out of those later seasons.
What am I supposed to be looking for?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Josh Lyman posted:

What am I supposed to be looking for?

Pay attention to her silverware use.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Jekyll is good. Sherlock and Dr. Who are later Moffett where he has his head up his rear end.

Nesbitt alone carried me through Jekyll but it really does get a bit too silly in the latter half.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Rhyno posted:

Pay attention to her silverware use.

That's pretty much all you can do with plastic knives and forks

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012
Was that plinko dude seriously chanting his own name? Jesus christ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
I loved the first 3-4 seasons of Castle, loved Forever and currently love Lucifer. What else (good) can I find along those lines?

• Locked thread