Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

RandomBlue posted:

He literally thinks he just has to say it and sign a piece of paper and it's done. The rest is just details.

e: This extends to all of his campaign promises, he seems to believe the President is King of the USA.

What's even funnier about this is that this has also never actually been true for kings, either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
Trump's hardcore base doesn't care about the Russia stuff. No matter how bad it gets they absolutely will rationalize it as a partisan witch hunt / actually colluding with Russia is good and they are our friend.

What will lose him support is him failing to pass his agenda (remember THE WALL was absolutely his biggest campaign plank) and apolitical fuckups like botched response to natural disasters because he hasn't bothered to staff FEMA and NOAA. Katrina 2.0 will be an absolute nightmare.

The best thing for the GOP would be for Trump to do a Nixon, pardon everyone, resign, have Pence pardon him. The longer this shitshow continues it's just going to make a Dem wave in 18/20 more likely. On the other hand, if Trump does resign the GOP probably loses a lot of his hardcore base, they'll still vote GOP but with a lot less enthusiasm.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
Russia kills Muslims, hates gays, is super religious, and is authoritarian as all hell.

What's not for a far right American conservative to love?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
If they attempted to gloss over the wholesale corruption of our democratic process by pardoning everyone involved there would be armed insurrection

I think the only thing keeping people in check is that the targets in question will be held accountable and brought to justice by the justice system.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Pellisworth posted:

What will lose him support is him failing to pass his agenda (remember THE WALL was absolutely his biggest campaign plank) and apolitical fuckups like botched response to natural disasters because he hasn't bothered to staff FEMA and NOAA. Katrina 2.0 will be an absolute nightmare.

I think the funniest part of his budget plan was that despite it being two trillion (!) dollars over budget the wall wasn't on it.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

The 36% or whatever left will never believe anything damaging about Trump, his administration, or GOP leadership. Whatever Trump says, goes.

There could be a videos from different angles released with Trump shaking Kislyak's hand saying "Thanks for all the money and hacking, you'll receive Ukraine soon," corroborating testimony, tavel logs, you name it, and Trump supporters would say it's all faked.

I'll believe he's removed from office when he's, you know, removed from office.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Captain Invictus posted:

If they attempted to gloss over the wholesale corruption of our democratic process by pardoning everyone involved there would be armed insurrection

I think the only thing keeping people in check is that the targets in question will be held accountable and brought to justice by the justice system.

What makes you think that?

The only armed insurrection from Trump pulling a Nixon would be from the right wing militia / neo-nazi types.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
lol armed insurrection.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

Russia kills Muslims, hates gays, is super religious, and is authoritarian as all hell.

Unless they're a part of the Russian Federation, in which case we must uphold the shared values of traditional Islam and the Russian orthodox church (and keep Putin's head attached to his shoulders).

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Zil posted:

Would be fun to get Ron Howard to do voice overs of Trumps bullshit.

Daniel Stern or Richard Dreyfuss would work, too. “I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was just another candidate. Jesus, does anyone?”

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Pellisworth posted:

Katrina 2.0 will be an absolute nightmare.

Hell, I'm not sure this administration could handle another Matthew.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Triskelli posted:

It's a good thing the climate is really stable and not going crazy, then.

oh dear

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Nixon had 40% approval ratings when he was impeached.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Pellisworth posted:

Trump's hardcore base doesn't care about the Russia stuff. No matter how bad it gets they absolutely will rationalize it as a partisan witch hunt / actually colluding with Russia is good and they are our friend.

The best thing for the GOP would be for Trump to do a Nixon, pardon everyone, resign, have Pence pardon him. The longer this shitshow continues it's just going to make a Dem wave in 18/20 more likely. On the other hand, if Trump does resign the GOP probably loses a lot of his hardcore base, they'll still vote GOP but with a lot less enthusiasm.

I disagree. A lot of them just don't believe it. Everyone cares about different things. Everyone has their own lines that they won't cross. Acts that will make them quit in disgust if they're ever found out to be true. If the Trump and Russia thing is confirmed then some of his base will abandon him. Not all. Not most. Not even a lot. However some of his base will abandon him because they never believed it before.

People are varied. They care about different poo poo. Messing with that poo poo makes them mad. It's not going to be one thing that will break Trump's support by his base unless it's another Katrina. It'll be lots of stuff. Don't worry on that end. He's supplying a wide variety of screw ups that are pissing almost everyone off.

I'd very much like for everyone to keep in mind that republicans are not adding enough members to replace the ones that are aging out. He won on a technicality. Four years down the road means nearly 4% less republican voters. If he runs again he's going to get crushed. By then he won't be an outsider. He'll be a politician. His promises won't have been kept. The wall won't be built. America will not be made great again. It'll be worse off. If someone primaries him and succeeds he'll rip the republicans apart and if no one primaries him he won't be able to promise everyone everything and be believed, because that's what happened before and it's four years later. Republican voters are winning by razor thin margins and the only things that keep them in power are gerrymandering and them turning out at incredible rates. Redistricting is coming up again and the dems are going to banish them to the weeds for a decade by gerrymandering them out of existence.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Remember how" heckva job Brownie!" went down?

Now imagine instead of just being tone deaf the President leans into it

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Triskelli posted:

I just had a mental image of Trump at Mar-a-Lago heading disaster relief.

Reminder: http://www.newsweek.com/trump-hurricane-matthew-relief-north-carolina-607803

quote:

The state asked for $929 million, most of which would go toward initiatives like fixing homes damaged by flooding, supporting farmers who lost livestock and funding mental health services for survivors.

This week, the state discovered it was likely getting $6.1 million—less than 1 percent of the amount requested.

This was just a couple weeks ago.

edit: in swing state North Carolina no less. I wonder if there's been any state polling on how voters reacted to Trump screwing them on relief funding? I'd bet he lost / will lose a good chunk of support.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Jun 4, 2017

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Covok posted:

While this is true it fell a lot lower over time. Impeachment was just the start.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i think it was two months before nixon resigned, 51 percent of americans said the media was spending too much time focusing on watergate.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Covok posted:

No he didn't. Nixon had sub-30% approval ratings during all of 1974.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Pollyanna posted:

gently caress do you even do for 4.5 hours of golfing besides the obvious? Is it just "me time" for him or does he do other shady poo poo at the same time?

HIs russian contacts are posing as caddies at his golf course. He sees to it they get hired and are assigned to him.

(A conspiracy I just made up...)

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Party Plane Jones posted:

If there was ever a reason to drop your NYT sub, it would be this hot take

https://twitter.com/speechboy71/status/871056260417933312

Fyi for everyone else, the real :lol: involved in this tweet is not so much the article by itself, but the fact that the NYT interviewed the exact same Trump supporter from 2 months ago, wearing the exact same clothes from two months ago, to "prove" that this Trump supporter (and therefore by extension, all Trump supporting small business owners) still holds the same positive opinion of Trump that he did two months ago.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Today I learned that the only President to resign under an impeachment had a 24% approval on that day.

:lol:

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Has a sitting president ever been primaried? When did that happen? When was the last time someone seriously tried?

e: Oh right Ted Kennedy and Carter, and google also says Buchanan attempted the primary Bush Sr?

JAY ZERO SUM GAME fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Jun 4, 2017

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
When he resigns, I don't think Pence will pardon him. I think they'll try really hard to kill the ongoing investigation and poo poo will literally hit the fan because no one will feel any loyalty toward the administration and the pissgates will open.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

Has a sitting president ever been primaried? When did that happen? When was the last time someone seriously tried?

e: Oh right Ted Kennedy and Carter, and google also says Buchanan attempted the primary Bush Sr?

You should try googling that. There are a lot of interesting discussions on the topic.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Ted Kennedy primaried Carter in '80.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

D-Pad posted:

HIs russian contacts are posing as caddies at his golf course. He sees to it they get hired and are assigned to him.

(A conspiracy I just made up...)

Trump's razor means there is a chance this is true though. Time to start bugging his golf bag and carts to see what the idiot is leaking on the course.

Zil fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Jun 4, 2017

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

LBJ decided not to run.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

I don't believe it's happened in modern times, google-fu says that Pierce got primaried by Buchanan, because lol early 19th century America. The other four times were done to VPs that ascended because POTUS was either assassinated or was Harrison.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Covok posted:

did the republicans control the senate and house then

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Pollyanna posted:

gently caress do you even do for 4.5 hours of golfing besides the obvious? Is it just "me time" for him or does he do other shady poo poo at the same time?
Probably plays the back nine then has three hookers piss on him in the clubhouse for being so bad at golf.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Ice Phisherman posted:

. Four years down the road means nearly 4% less republican voters.

This sounds right, and it isn't that I don't believe it, but do you have some kind of link or source to back this up? I need to show this to a few of my friends.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
also why is everyone convinced trump will resign?

trump seems incapable of admitting failure, so i don't see why he'd do that. i could see him obstinately staying put and doing crazy poo poo like pardoning himself and everyone around him, but not resigning

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Don't you need to be convicted of something before you can be pardoned, at which point it doesn't really matter because the president is removed from office when he's convicted?

Edible Hat
Jul 23, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Reagan primaried Ford in '76. LBJ stepped out of the race in '68 because he likely would not have won the Democratic nomination. Before that, there wasn't much of a primary system to speak of.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Zil posted:

Trump's razor means there is a chance this is true though. Time to start bugging just gold bag and carts to see what the idiot is leaking on the course.

Neither dumb enough, nor crazy enough.

Trump is hiring US intelligence agents to give his Russian golf partners intelligence directly.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

The 36% or whatever left will never believe anything damaging about Trump, his administration, or GOP leadership. Whatever Trump says, goes.

There could be a videos from different angles released with Trump shaking Kislyak's hand saying "Thanks for all the money and hacking, you'll receive Ukraine soon," corroborating testimony, tavel logs, you name it, and Trump supporters would say it's all faked.

I'll believe he's removed from office when he's, you know, removed from office.

The only thing that could get the GOP base to hate Trump is if he started doing things that made liberals happy. They don't really care about the issues they proclaim to vote based upon beyond how mad the issues make their opposition.

Remember how the GOP would be all for a thing until the instant Obama said he was for the thing and the they 180°ed pretty much mid-sentence? They didn't (just) do that because they were racist but instead because they understood that their base would instantly turn on that issue because if the liberals want it then it can't be good.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
We really need "Nixon was pardoned even though he never was convicted" to be the thread title.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

TARDISman posted:

Don't you need to be convicted of something before you can be pardoned, at which point it doesn't really matter because the president is removed from office when he's convicted?

pre-emptive pardons are a thing

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Why? I never get this constant circle jerk about how powerful and beloved trump is. He's had a political career that is like a year and a half long. I imagine someone somewhere was really into his books and maybe he has a fan base from that time he was on home alone 2 but I don't get the idea that trump is some eternal beloved thing. Right wing poo poo bags won't turn on being right wing poo poo bags but why is their a belief that they are pledged to trump specifically? Is it because there is a reddit with 24,000 posters? Some of which are joking?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Jealous Cow posted:

When he resigns, I don't think Pence will pardon him. I think they'll try really hard to kill the ongoing investigation and poo poo will literally hit the fan because no one will feel any loyalty toward the administration and the pissgates will open.

Serious question. I know everyone makes fun of the whole piss tape thing, but even if such a thing exists, does anyone think that it would hurt Trump's popularity with his idiot supporters? Moreover, would someone as shameless as Trump give a poo poo about such thing being leaked (no pun intended*)? Trump will scream FAKE NEWS on Twitter, and his mouthbreathing followers will defend his depraved act by arguing who among us hasn't engaged in sexual urine play at one point in our lives.

*okay, maybe a little intented

• Locked thread