Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Has a meltdown ever helped someone's case even once in the history of anything ever?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

get that OUT of my face posted:

i dunno whose side to take: unfunny talk show host or screeching twitter moron who thinks every on-air miscue should be punished by cancellation. i think i'll just scream into my pillow instead and wait for the pain to go away

Laugh at both sides. Bill Maher for thinking he could say that in 2017 without kicking up a giant firestorm and stupid blogger lady for thinking that Bill Maher is the Tim Wise of HBO instead of the crass shithead he's always been.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

I'm glad that my senator, Ben Sasse, got Bill Maher to say the N word.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Call Me Charlie posted:

Laugh at both sides. Bill Maher for thinking he could say that in 2017 without kicking up a giant firestorm and stupid blogger lady for thinking that Bill Maher is the Tim Wise of HBO instead of the crass shithead he's always been.

pretty much this. laugh at both sides and their respective idiots. its the only way to stay sane.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Call Me Charlie posted:

laughing is healthier than screaming and wishing for death, so i'll do that instead

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

https://twitter.com/alsoconnor/status/871091752152596481

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

i JUDGE her.... unworthy

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
just a little multi-layered magic: the gathering humor for you all

lohli
Jun 30, 2008
Bill Maher's thing was funny, the Trumphead thing was not, the only funny thing about the trumphead stuff was how many of the people handwringing with glee over his kid freaking out thinking it was real were the safe-space/trigger-warning social justicey types.

I think it's pretty great that while Trump is being accused of being a Russian plant, so many of the people that turn up to "protest" him or his fans(or anyone they accuse of being fans) seem to be unironic (usually anarcho-)communists.

jack_squat
May 7, 2007
Don't expect much.

lohli posted:

I think it's pretty great that while Trump is being accused of being a Russian plant, so many of the people that turn up to "protest" him or his fans(or anyone they accuse of being fans) seem to be unironic (usually anarcho-)communists.

To be fair, I've noticed the further left of the DNC a person is, the more likely they are to be skeptical of the "Russian connection", albeit for different reasons.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

oliver willis, a shareblue/media matters journalist, and other shithead journalists just outright tweet absurd lies about glenn greenwald and take things out of context to try to smear glenn greenwald as against anti-trump leaks
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6Owre_FLdc

comedyblissoption has issued a correction as of 09:48 on Jun 4, 2017

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

comedyblissoption posted:

oliver willis, a shareblue/media matters journalist, and other shithead journalists just outright tweet absurd lies about glenn greenwald and take things out of context to try to smear glenn greenwald as against anti-trump leaks
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6Owre_FLdc

liberals gonna liberal. shareblue also paid uh shakesville (check her blog's commenting rules sometime lmao) and Matthew chapman to write pro-Hillary posts during the election. these fuckers are the worst of the worst bootlickers when it comes to sucking from the teet of power for money in order to kick out at left-leaning people

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
Pretty much everything and everyone I have seen associated with Shareblue is awful which is exactly what you'd expect given who founded it and runs it.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

if you don't like watching a jimmy dore video, here's the medium article some person wrote about how ridiculous these journalists are:
https://medium.com/@caityjohnstone/establishment-loyalists-spent-yesterday-circulating-blatant-lies-about-glenn-greenwald-64a16a0ef6ed

quote:

It is from this insane, gibbering McCarthyist cacophony that these drooling troglodytes lurched to screenshot a single tweet out of the context of its thread and pass it around with the intention of deceiving their followers into thinking it meant the exact opposite of what Greenwald was saying. Many high-profile accounts with tens of thousands of followers shared this screenshot and have left it up, despite being corrected by their own followers. Political commentator Marcus H. Johnson for example, who smeared both Jill Stein and Nina Turner in a single tweet yesterday, retweeted multiple posts featuring this bald-faced lie, and made a few of his own to boot.
In reality, of course, Greenwald was in no way, shape or form seen “being against leaks” or calling them “unethical”, which anyone who knows anything about him should realize instantly anyway. This is made abundantly clear even for those who aren’t familiar with Greenwald’s consistent non-partisan perspective on government transparency in the context of what he was saying:

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

edit: double post

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

lohli posted:

Bill Maher's thing was funny, the Trumphead thing was not, the only funny thing about the trumphead stuff was how many of the people handwringing with glee over his kid freaking out thinking it was real were the safe-space/trigger-warning social justicey types.

just because someone's a commie doesnt mean they're loyal to russia. it's not like stalin was actually a communist, he was a dictator

passionate dongs
May 23, 2001

Snitchin' is Bitchin'

if you don't like watching a jimmy dore video, here's the medium article some person wrote about how ridiculous these journalists are:
https://medium.com/@caityjohnstone/establishment-loyalists-spent-yesterday-circulating-blatant-lies-about-glenn-greenwald-64a16a0ef6ed

hahahaha

passionate dongs
May 23, 2001

Snitchin' is Bitchin'

quote:

What made this more than just your garden-variety smear campaign, however, was that Greenwald fought back. Hard. Not just with his usual approach of dropping a truth bomb or two and getting back to work; he kept pushing this thing into the light, over and over and over.

(....3 greenwald tweets follow)

this like a kid talking about noncanon super hero fights

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

jack_squat posted:

To be fair, I've noticed the further left of the DNC a person is, the more likely they are to be skeptical of the "Russian connection", albeit for different reasons.

I think the Russia thing is mostly hot air, but something that "stuck" because Trump is hated. After Trump beat Hillary in the primary IIRC per "Shattered", this was the official excuse used by the members of the Clinton team (along with "BERNIE BROS") to cleanse their hands of being beaten by a clown.

Neoconservatives hate his rear end. Neoliberals hate his rear end. Neoconservatives hold a lot of power of in the GOP think tanks, CIA, etc. Neoliberals hold a lot of power in the media and (sadly) in the democratic side of the government.

So we have to suffer through this poo poo because the Clintonites that run the Dems (and by proxy, the left) refuse to do some soul searching and think of policies to win in 2018, 2020.

It's frustrating because there's so many other drat things they could attack his over, and they go with this pathetic poo poo.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

every time i pass by a tv playing CNN it's almost always RUSSIA RUSSIA RUSSIA. nothing about the Paris Accords, nothing about the budget that the NYC mayor said would "kill people" (his words), nothing about any actual policies trump helped pass or wants to get through

it's not that there's nothing to it, but no sitting president has ever been successfully smeared as a traitor and it's not gonna start now

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

every time i pass by a tv playing CNN it's almost always RUSSIA RUSSIA RUSSIA. nothing about the Paris Accords, nothing about the budget that the NYC mayor said would "kill people" (his words), nothing about any actual policies trump helped pass or wants to get through

it's not that there's nothing to it, but no sitting president has ever been successfully smeared as a traitor and it's not gonna start now

Trump and Pence are currently rallying their supporters with the whole "Pittsburgh not Paris" line. It plays well to the working class that DNC keeps giving the finger to.

It's mostly horseshit and something that can be easily countered, offer alternatives to right now. Not only could you probably have a message that could play well with people concerned with the planet, but you could probably also have a message to play well to those who the DNC once had in their pocket.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

FuzzySkinner posted:

I think the Russia thing is mostly hot air, but something that "stuck" because Trump is hated. After Trump beat Hillary in the primary IIRC per "Shattered", this was the official excuse used by the members of the Clinton team (along with "BERNIE BROS") to cleanse their hands of being beaten by a clown.

Neoconservatives hate his rear end. Neoliberals hate his rear end. Neoconservatives hold a lot of power of in the GOP think tanks, CIA, etc. Neoliberals hold a lot of power in the media and (sadly) in the democratic side of the government.

So we have to suffer through this poo poo because the Clintonites that run the Dems (and by proxy, the left) refuse to do some soul searching and think of policies to win in 2018, 2020.

It's frustrating because there's so many other drat things they could attack his over, and they go with this pathetic poo poo.

idk. i think there is something to the russia stuff though unsure how damning it will be at this point and at best trump is going to looks like a incompetent rear end in a top hat for hiring and keeping on the worst people. i personally think trump will eventualy piss away the GOPs patience and they will find some excuse to toss him, especially loving up in Europe and antagonizing them more and attacking the mayor of london and making dickhead pithy statements after another terror attack. i honestly think what will gently caress him is when a giant super storm hits and destroys a city and the fact that NOAA and FEMA have no leadership right now and probably never will and trump will gently caress up the responce. or hell maybe when the next school shooting(with a double digit body count) happens and he doesnt do dick.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

FuzzySkinner posted:

Trump and Pence are currently rallying their supporters with the whole "Pittsburgh not Paris" line. It plays well to the working class that DNC keeps giving the finger to.

It's mostly horseshit and something that can be easily countered, offer alternatives to right now. Not only could you probably have a message that could play well with people concerned with the planet, but you could probably also have a message to play well to those who the DNC once had in their pocket.
you can also point out that trump didn't even attend his own event and went golfing instead. it's so loving easy. the lowest of low hanging fruits is all there, ripe for the picking

recent state election results have been encouraging, at the very least. two trump districts, one in NH and one in NY, went to a Democrat, one of whom is a leftie

get that OUT of my face has issued a correction as of 19:33 on Jun 4, 2017

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

you can also point out that trump didn't even attend his own event and went golfing instead. it's so loving easy. the lowest of low hanging fruits is all there, ripe for the picking

recent state election results have been encouraging, at the very least. two trump districts, one in NH and one in NY, went to a Democrat, one of whom is a leftie

Complaining about a president going golfing has never been a fruitful line of attack ever :colbert:

(Except for all the times it was used against Obama to rile up the GOP base)

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Not a Step posted:

Complaining about a president going golfing has never been a fruitful line of attack ever :colbert:

(Except for all the times it was used against Obama to rile up the GOP base)
yeah and all of the trump supporters seem completely cool with it now. but for everyone else (and there's a lot of people who don't like trump, never forget that), you can use the fact that he skipped a rally as a way to say he doesn't give a poo poo about anyone. not even the people he professes to care about

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

lohli posted:

lol if you actually think Barron saw that

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Whatever else he is, Glenn Greenwald is an opportunist who is no stranger to ripping things out of context to attack strawmen. I'm glad it's happened to him, now.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Tacky-rear end Rococco posted:

Bill Maher is actively loathsome and any bad things that happen to him are to be celebrated.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

the trump tutelage posted:

Whatever else he is, Glenn Greenwald is an opportunist who is no stranger to ripping things out of context to attack strawmen. I'm glad it's happened to him, now.

Yeah because two wrongs, one of which doesn't exist outside my head, make a truth in the middle

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

I think the bottom line with the mainstream left is pretty simple.

"It's a big club and we ain't in it".

All those guys rocking the blue checkmarks. The think tank types, Peter Daou's and others? They have no interest in hearing people (supposedly) from their side suggesting ideas that would be from outside of their own sort of club. They feel more comfortable with people like Louise Mensch, Evan McMullin's and Glenn Beck's of the world. These are people they'd rather rub shoulders with than someone like Cornell West, Tulsi Gabbard or anyone outside of their view of the world.

They don't want to hear it. This is what they want. They don't care about ending wars, actually helping the enviorment, and various other traditional causes. They want cosmetic change. A president that talks nice, pretends to care about minorities, while the poor continue to get hosed over. All of this while talking about Harry Potter while Beyonce plays in the background.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Crane Fist posted:

one of which doesn't exist outside my head,
Regardless of how you feel about Sam Harris, Glenn Greenwald has misrepresented his ideas and ripped his words from context to attack what I assume he thinks is the "spirit" of Harris's arguments (read: a strawman).

The rest of your post is a poorly constructed joke so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Sam Harris is an awful piece of poo poo, there's no way to represent his arguments that would be worse than what he actually believes

If anything Greenwald was too fair to him

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
The easiest way to tell the Russia stuff is nonsense is that in the Quist campaign they were trying to paint Gianforte as a secret russian plant because he had 250k invested in Gazprom. Hes a multibillionaire and probably has a massive share portfolio so 250k in a petro company would hardly even be noticed. Hes also a carpetbagging scumbag who hates everyone and wants them to die so there were so many actually useful lines of attack wasting breath on 'rich person has a varied stock portfolio' was dumb as poo poo.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Byolante posted:

The easiest way to tell the Russia stuff is nonsense is that in the Quist campaign they were trying to paint Gianforte as a secret russian plant because he had 250k invested in Gazprom. Hes a multibillionaire and probably has a massive share portfolio so 250k in a petro company would hardly even be noticed. Hes also a carpetbagging scumbag who hates everyone and wants them to die so there were so many actually useful lines of attack wasting breath on 'rich person has a varied stock portfolio' was dumb as poo poo.

hes not a billionaire and big single stock investments in russian-owned ventures arent really a standard part of any portfolio but youre otherwise correct, it's a ridiculous obsession

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
I think my favorite thing about the Russia thing is how it's always establishment democrats going 'ummmm idk guys i really think this russia thing has legs' as they descend further into :tinfoil: madness.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Call Me Charlie posted:

I think my favorite thing about the Russia thing is how it's always establishment democrats going 'ummmm idk guys i really think this russia thing has legs' as they descend further into :tinfoil: madness.

nah

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Call Me Charlie posted:

Louise Mensch's deranged rantings that somehow are being pushed by the centrists are the best bit.

Black Lives Matter? A trot plot

https://twitter.com/louisemensch/status/851044052044845056

The never trumper gop people? A trot plot

https://twitter.com/louisemensch/status/862718291894317056

The neigbour's wifi network? a trot plot

https://twitter.com/louisemensch/status/837666065186447360

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

p much yeah

the fact I trust the CIA more than I trust Wikileaks isn't a show of trust in the CIA, it's a total distrust of Wikileaks' motives

this would be a way more effective burn on :argh: ESTABLISHMENT LIBERALS :argh: if, y'know, Wikileaks wasn't blatantly a Russian asset

The Russia stuff is keeping the pressure on Trump and it looks like there's some serious poo poo that could actually gently caress him over. It's worth the congressional Dems focusing on because there's precious little else they can do in the minority.

It absolutely should not be a pillar of their election campaigning next year, however.

You don't have to "buy into the full-court press on Russia", whatever the gently caress that means.

You can and should recognize that it's in your interest to make Congress dig into all the Trump-Russia bullshit thoroughly, if for no other reason that it would give them less time to try and pass repeal-and-replace legislation.

lol

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

FuzzySkinner posted:

All those guys rocking the blue checkmarks. The think tank types, Peter Daou's and others? They have no interest in hearing people (supposedly) from their side suggesting ideas that would be from outside of their own sort of club. They feel more comfortable with people like Louise Mensch, Evan McMullin's and Glenn Beck's of the world. These are people they'd rather rub shoulders with than someone like Cornell West, Tulsi Gabbard or anyone outside of their view of the world.
if the term "3%ers" wasn't already claimed by a right-wing militia, i'd call them that, because they're the 3% of dems who think that Bernie Sanders is actively harmful to the party

Byolante posted:

and all this was from a candidate who was progressive on economic issues and had a lot of support from bernie. i guess i know now why quist got a fair bit of money from the party apparatus, at least compared to the $0 that james thompson got in kansas, and wasn't outspent that much by gianforte

the more i learn about how quist ran his campaign, the more i hate him and hope he gets crippled by whatever std he has (herpes?)

get that OUT of my face has issued a correction as of 02:41 on Jun 5, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

if the term "3%ers" wasn't already claimed by a right-wing militia, i'd call them that, because they're the 3% of dems who think that Bernie Sanders is actively harmful to the party

Call em the 2%ers then, accuracy is for nerds

• Locked thread