Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Roadie posted:

There's basically a third party version of this already, but it has a bunch of lovely reviews.

Not really. It's an adapter and it only supports power, not data. I meant having the USB-C port be compatible both with standard cables and breakaway cables, for both power and data. It'd be neat, but I'm just dreaming out loud.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Roadie posted:

There's basically a third party version of this already, but it has a bunch of lovely reviews.

If Apple would just make an official version of this, they'd have yet another license to print money.

NoDamage
Dec 2, 2000
Speaking of which, can anyone recommend a longer USB-C charge cable to replace the default 2 meter one that Apple ships with the 2016 MacBook Pros? Since Apple stopped bundling the extension cord with their power bricks I figure it's easier just to get a longer USB-C cable instead.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Haha, like there's any chance the next MagSafe option will work with current models.

It will come out right about the time early adopters get that itch to upgrade. Also people who didn't go for the 2016's will be even more desperate for a new machine.

Apple prints money. Even on a dying PC platform.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

NoDamage posted:

Speaking of which, can anyone recommend a longer USB-C charge cable to replace the default 2 meter one that Apple ships with the 2016 MacBook Pros? Since Apple stopped bundling the extension cord with their power bricks I figure it's easier just to get a longer USB-C cable instead.

I can't find any reputable USB-C to USB-C cables over 6ft.

This might explain why: https://superuser.com/questions/961176/usb-type-c-power-delivery-profile-max-length

There are some on Amazon but YMMV: https://www.amazon.com/Cable-WiRoTe...in%3A7800928011

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

Krispy Kareem posted:

Haha, like there's any chance the next MagSafe option will work with current models.

It will come out right about the time early adopters get that itch to upgrade. Also people who didn't go for the 2016's will be even more desperate for a new machine.

Apple prints money. Even on a dying PC platform.

thank you for your wisdom

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Pivo posted:

This might explain why: https://superuser.com/questions/961176/usb-type-c-power-delivery-profile-max-length

The table in that link shows 4.0m as a legal length for USB 2.0 type C cables capable of 5A (100W) power delivery, 2.0m for USB 3.1 gen1, and 1.0m for USB 3.1 gen2. Those length limits are about the data side, not the power. It should be trivial to make the power side of USB-C work over long cable runs: increase wire gauge until resistance is in spec. Data is much harder and there's a reason why 2.0 speeds (~10x slower than 3.0) are allowed to have a longer cable.

It might be the case that few companies feel it's worthwhile to sell a super long USB-C cable that that only works for power delivery, or perhaps USB2 data plus PD. Just imagine how many people will buy such a cable assuming that it can do USB3 data, and then return it when that doesn't work. (This is the downside, to manufacturers, of one plug for everything.) However, such a product clearly can exist.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Did you read the answer? It's not quite that simple.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
At some point the extra thick conductors needed to carry 85 W at 20 V exceeds the extra thick insulation needed for 120/240 V.

Then you solve the problem from the mains side with a IEC 60320 C7 (“figure of 8”) cord.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

So let me get this straight, some rando posts some wild rumors on reddit, real fanwank territory garbage if you look at a bunch of the claims, but claims to be part of a Foxconn insider leaker network that sells Apple secrets and thus we can totally believe them, but we are supposed to ignore that if they are selling this info why are they posting it on reddit

Like sorry op who posted that but there's a shitload of red flags here, even if reddit mods "verified" something (what?) and are vouching for the veracity of this dude (lol reddit mods)

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

Pivo posted:

Did you read the answer? It's not quite that simple.

Did you read the table taken from the spec? USB 2.0 data with 5 amp power delivery is specifications legal up to 4 meters.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

That's 5A at the standard USB 5V isn't it? That's just 25W. Not charging a MacBook Pro off that.

Plus, will they even charge off a USB 2.0 cable? I thought all the fancy higher-limit power negotiation trickery is USB 3's game, including splitting the current over the pins dynamically. Will a MBP even charge off USB 2.0?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

BobHoward posted:

So let me get this straight, some rando posts some wild rumors on reddit, real fanwank territory garbage if you look at a bunch of the claims, but claims to be part of a Foxconn insider leaker network that sells Apple secrets and thus we can totally believe them, but we are supposed to ignore that if they are selling this info why are they posting it on reddit

Like sorry op who posted that but there's a shitload of red flags here, even if reddit mods "verified" something (what?) and are vouching for the veracity of this dude (lol reddit mods)

Yea, it's all bullshit

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

Pivo posted:

That's 5A at the standard USB 5V isn't it? That's just 25W. Not charging a MacBook Pro off that.

Plus, will they even charge off a USB 2.0 cable? I thought all the fancy higher-limit power negotiation trickery is USB 3's game, including splitting the current over the pins dynamically. Will a MBP even charge off USB 2.0?

No it's 12V or 20V. USB-PD profiles are 5V@2A, 12V@3A, 20V@3A, 12V@5A, and 20V@5A.

USB-C doesn't do power negotiation over the USB data bus, either 2.x or 3.x. It uses a dedicated pair of connection sense pins (CC1 and CC2) and so far as I can tell from skimming docs nothing that goes on there is high speed. They probably didn't want to require chargers to have to implement any of the relatively complex digital smarts needed to be even a USB 2.0 data device.

NoDamage
Dec 2, 2000

Pivo posted:

There are some on Amazon but YMMV: https://www.amazon.com/Cable-WiRoTe...in%3A7800928011
Ah, that's too bad. Sounds like it might be too risky to try one of these aftermarket cables, so I'll just get the extension cord for the brick instead.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

BobHoward posted:

It's still bullshit but the guy actually claimed that all of this stuff would be revealed at apples event this week so the leaks were no longer worth selling so he was going to give them out free.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

GutBomb posted:

It's still bullshit but the guy actually claimed that all of this stuff would be revealed at apples event this week so the leaks were no longer worth selling so he was going to give them out free.

Missed that but yeah even with that it's still bullshit

In that situation, why would you ever blab anything like this in public. Risks revealing yourself and then your gravy train is cut off.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

BobHoward posted:

No it's 12V or 20V. USB-PD profiles are 5V@2A, 12V@3A, 20V@3A, 12V@5A, and 20V@5A.

USB-C doesn't do power negotiation over the USB data bus, either 2.x or 3.x. It uses a dedicated pair of connection sense pins (CC1 and CC2) and so far as I can tell from skimming docs nothing that goes on there is high speed. They probably didn't want to require chargers to have to implement any of the relatively complex digital smarts needed to be even a USB 2.0 data device.

well don't hate on me for quickly looking at wikipedia because i don't know the engineering details of USB-C PD modes off by heart
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB#Power_Delivery_.28PD.29

quote:

In July 2012, the USB Promoters Group announced the finalization of the USB Power Delivery (PD) specification, an extension that specifies using certified PD aware USB cables with standard USB Type-A and Type-B connectors to deliver increased power (more than 7.5 W) to devices with larger power demand.
ok so fundamentally to deliver more than 7.5W as in the spec, it has to be through a PD-aware USB cable...

quote:

The Power Delivery specification defines six fixed power profiles for the power sources. PD-aware devices implement a flexible power management scheme by interfacing with the power source through a bidirectional data channel and requesting a certain level of electrical power, variable up to 5 A and 20 V depending on supported profile. The power configuration protocol uses a 24 MHz BFSK-coded transmission channel on the VBUS line.

The USB Power Delivery revision 2.0 specification has been released as part of the USB 3.1 suite.[107] It covers the Type-C cable and connector with four power/ground pairs and a separate configuration channel, which now hosts a DC coupled low-frequency BMC-coded data channel that reduces the possibilities for RF interference.[108] Power Delivery protocols have been updated to facilitate Type-C features such as cable ID function, Alternate Mode negotiation, increased VBUS currents, and VCONN-powered accessories.

Hmm... PD 2 is part of USB 3.1, also talks about power management through a bidirectional data channel

Based on what I know about USB PD, it's obvious it's not just 'plug it in and ago' with a hot, a cold and a ground. For example people always argue with two devices with USB-C charging and big batteries, who charges who?

Anyhow, it seems to me that 85W over a USB 2.0 cable is not to spec, since the devices won't be able to negotiate it without USB 3.1 support, which requires an active cable, which seems to be limited to 2m by the spec ...

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

NoDamage posted:

The extension is $19 from Apple if that helps. It'd be nice just to have a big old 12ft cord, but oh well. https://www.apple.com/shop/product/MK122LL/A/power-adapter-extension-cable

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

Pivo posted:

well don't hate on me for quickly looking at wikipedia because i don't know the engineering details of USB-C PD modes off by heart
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB#Power_Delivery_.28PD.29

LOL man I don't know this off the top of my head I just went to usb.org and downloaded specs and skimmed them, and I've been lazy about even that, I have probably gotten some details wrong. I'm just operating from much more background knowledge and experience in interpreting hardware specifications (iirc you are a software dude, and not the low level embedded type either).

quote:

Based on what I know about USB PD, it's obvious it's not just 'plug it in and ago' with a hot, a cold and a ground. For example people always argue with two devices with USB-C charging and big batteries, who charges who?

Yes duh it requires some smarts to support that and like I just tried to explain to you, USB-C cabling has dedicated pins for a low speed data link that is used for negotiation and configuration only:

Wikipedia posted:

The USB Power Delivery revision 2.0 specification has been released as part of the USB 3.1 suite.[107] It covers the Type-C cable and connector with four power/ground pairs and a separate configuration channel, which now hosts a DC coupled low-frequency BMC-coded data channel that reduces the possibilities for RF interference.[108]

The USB-C connector has a lot of pins, grouped into several functions. The pins which can move bits around are: a D+/D- pair (half-duplex USB 1.x/2.x, up to 480 Mbps), SSTXP/SSTXN and SSRXP/SSRXN (full-duplex USB 3.x, up to 10 Gbps), and CC1/CC2 (configuration channel, who the gently caress cares how fast because it's designed to be slow and cheap). The standards deliberately do not force you to implement everything, there are permitted subsets.

So once again. Just as the table in your original link said, the standards permit a 4.0m type C cable which doesn't support 3.x data yet does support all the negotiation features needed for high power PD.

I think something which you don't get because you don't design hardware for a living is that the circuitry needed for high data rate comms (especially USB3 rates) is pretty out of place in a power brick. (Relatively) expensive, and massive overkill for that purpose. This is why I knew even before halfass investigating anything that odds were good that USB-PD's negotiation features would not depend on the USB3 high speed data link.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Not sure if this is the best place to ask this, but for those of you with cMPs, if you have a UPS for it, what load capacity did you go for with it? I'm seeing a wide variety, but it seems like for the 2009-2012s, people often went in the 1350 - 1500 VA range.

I know it partly depends on how long I'd want it to run before shutting down. The goal would probably be to buy myself 5-ish minutes maximum for safe shutdown, and to save power otherwise for the router and cable modem as the principal hardware to keep running.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

BobHoward posted:

(iirc you are a software dude, and not the low level embedded type either).

While I have done some embedded stuff, it was for personal use, not professional. My professional life lives firmly in C and above, it's true.

Thanks for your explanation.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Let's hope WWDC gives us something to gossip about this PM..

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
poo poo the bed - that looks like an external GPU

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

AMD 580 in an external, Metal for VR, holy balls ...

Steam VR SDK, Unity and Unreal on mac are mentioned

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

:stare: new apple who dis?

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

64gb RAM on 27" and a push to fusion drives as standard, iMac confirmed as a baller device. GPU bumps too.

Radeon Pro :five::five::five:

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

$1299 4k iMac too wow. Where the gently caress is the Pro, Craig???

This is so weird. they're showing off star wars and saying things like 'value'.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
The Pro is right there.

The iMac Pro.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

well why not posted:

64gb RAM on 27" and a push to fusion drives as standard, iMac confirmed as a baller device. GPU bumps too.

Radeon Pro :five::five::five:

Eh the 580 is just a re-badged 480, which already struggles some at 5K in demanding circumstances. It'd have been better for a desktop 1070 or 1080 to be used but, of course not since Apple and nVidia can't make amends.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

hahah you're right ahahahah

It's black and has an 8 / 10 / 18 core Xeon. This will not be cheap.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
lmaoooo

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

That's one beautiful iMac.

eames
May 9, 2009

Heh HCC Basin Falls in the iMac.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

jfc just put it in a box with no screen c'mon

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

SourKraut posted:

That's one beautiful iMac.

It's a Space Gray iMac. That's all the external difference.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

well why not posted:

jfc just put it in a box with no screen c'mon

With a couple PCIe slots.

eames
May 9, 2009

That iMac pro is Apple's :fuckoff: to all the complaining "prosumers", although I'm pretty sure it'll cost $10k maxed out.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

lmao starting at 'just' $4999.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Why the hell is 10gb a small woo? Steve jobs stood up on stage and proclaimed we're changing the game by giving you a 1gb port. Sell that poo poo, it's 2017 and we're barely getting a non-ridic expensive 10gb option for regular pcs.