Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

I feel like the madness is a side-effect of resisting the influence, not something that is innate to worshiping/acknowledging the Radiance. There isn't really any evidence that supports the idea that the Radiance is a megalomaniac who demands every being worships her exclusively, she just seems to not want to be locked away and forgotten. We don't really have any evidence of what life was like before the Pale King, but we do know there were civilizations before him, so maybe things weren't that bad and he has just played it up to justify his usurpation of the throne. The Infection seems more like a side of effect of trying to deny that The Radiance exists, and not specifically a malicious act by the Radiance.

This is like, a weird level of apologia. Like I can get the idea of unreliable narrators, but at a certain point you have to sort of accept that IN GENERAL, some things people say are VAGUELY accurate, especially without any particular evidence or detailing of some deliberate Great Lie or propaganda effort.

This idea that you just go crazy because you don't acknowledge the Radiance, and that the Infection isn't a malicious act, or w/e just ascribes... weird traits to the setting and plot, and sort of removes agency from the Radiance. And this idea that the Pale King is some malevolent tyrant that caged the humble sun-moth is just... not really supported by anything else? If you're going to take a single line from a goofy character like Mister Mushroom and interpret 'thrall' as in literally enslaved, or take the fantasy notion of a king and interpret as a harsh and brutally stratified feudal system where he is crushing the peasant class beneath foot, then I feel like you're kinda of ignoring the overwhelming fondness virtually every single NPC has for the Pale King/the Pale King's era/everything about Hallownest.

Also, given that the process of creating void servants and void vessels to contain the Radiance seems like it came after Hallownest was good and properly established, I don't think the binding the Radiance into the Hollow Knight came until after Hallownest was established.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
I'm going through taking screenshots of Dream Nail text from as many enemies as I can. There's a really impressive amount of variety here.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
While I wouldn't call the Pale King a malicious tyrant, he's definitely not a good guy and the events of the game may have been his fault.

For one, Hallownest's society was not that great. It had many castes, ranging from incredibly wealthy bugs that did basically nothing to literal slaves that are treated like garbage. The False Knight's entire story is about how he was one of the few creatures legitimately better off under the Radiance. Cause before the Radiance came, his entire species were at best slaves and at worst food. So what did he have to lose under the Radiance? The Radiance gave him the strength to protect his family and also forced those that would normally prey upon them to stand down. Or at least it did up until you came along and killed him.

The King also seemed to bury any evidence of civilzations prior to Hallownest. He wanted his civilization to be regarded not as the greatest but as the only true on. Some of the tablets make it sound like Hallownest is the only civilization, but that clearly isn't the case. The King covering up all traces of past societies whenever possible may have been what pissed off the Radiance in the first place, as it was now in danger of being completely forgotten. He had no interest in honoring the past and wanted only his greatness to be revered.

The King built a wondrous society, but it was an incredibly egotistical one.

FisheyStix
Jul 2, 2008

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Internet Kraken posted:

The King built a wondrous society, but it was an incredibly egotistical one.

But at least he made us pretty. :kiddo:

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

FisheyStix posted:

But at least he made us pretty. :kiddo:

Seriously, he has good taste in decor. The city of tears is a beautiful place.

He needs to watch that saw-blade fixation though. They really ruin the ambiance you know?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

What are these things, anyway?

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
It's a Chozo

No idea, some sort of ancient Void-bug maybe?

Here's some neat stuff Team Cherry released the other day
https://twitter.com/TeamCherryGames/status/870442271807688704

Dunno if I'll get anything but those shirt designs are pretty nice and plush knight is very cute

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

skasion posted:

What are these things, anyway?

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.
So the combination of the tablet in the Howling Cliffs that talks about having to give up your mind before being able to leave to the wasteland, and the Mask Maker's dialogue about how the Masks they create overwrites a bug's mind entirely, with only the strongest of wills retaining anything at all, makes me think that the Pale King 'expanded' the bugs minds by masking them, effectively personality deathing everyone in the Kingdom and then keeping everyone locked in by threatening to render them mindless again if they wished to leave.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Eopia posted:

So the combination of the tablet in the Howling Cliffs that talks about having to give up your mind before being able to leave to the wasteland, and the Mask Maker's dialogue about how the Masks they create overwrites a bug's mind entirely, with only the strongest of wills retaining anything at all, makes me think that the Pale King 'expanded' the bugs minds by masking them, effectively personality deathing everyone in the Kingdom and then keeping everyone locked in by threatening to render them mindless again if they wished to leave.

That dialogue from the Mask Maker was a metaphor for the Radiance's influence. He mentions it as part of how "the kingdom's stasis became the Wyrm's legacy," i.e. how the King and all his works were ultimately unmade by the resurgence of Radiance and the way it "hides all faces within itself."

The King is unambiguously a benevolent character who was driven to desperate ends to escape the infection.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I don't get how you can play this and not see how the King was a megalomaniac. Even the Mask Maker points out that his reach exceeded his grasp;

"I see another takes mantle of king? Then grim responsibility that shall bestow.

No bug has ever laid claim to this whole. Even the beasts knew their limits and bound their realm at Nest's edge.

It is the ancient caste that made attempt at such vast rule. Hallownest's ruin reflects well those fared attempts."

The King created a society that had several tiers of castes where the higher ones lorded over those below, with the royal acolytes and himself at the top. Just because he helped engineer the solution to the Radiance doesn't mean he's unambiguously benevolent. He might have been the one that caused that whole problem in the first place by attempting to remove all traces of its existence.

Anyways, has anyone deciphered the nonsensical tablets in the Archives? Those might contain some interesting info but hell if I can figure out that gibberish.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

The king was a megalomaniac insofar as he really was a sorcerous dragon god emperor with incomprehensibly vast powers including something like immortality. Mask Maker's dialogue is abstruse as gently caress even by this game's standards and I don't see how it really tells us anything more than that the society of Hallownest benefited some much more than others.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

skasion posted:

The king was a megalomaniac insofar as he really was a sorcerous dragon god emperor with incomprehensibly vast powers including something like immortality. Mask Maker's dialogue is abstruse as gently caress even by this game's standards and I don't see how it really tells us anything more than that the society of Hallownest benefited some much more than others.

Yeah, Kraken's quoted dialogue mentions "caste" in the context of age, not class - i.e. the King and his private retinue were the only ones who tried to lay dominion to the whole of Hallownest and it blew up in their face (and that the Grey Wastes are an absolute border to the kingdom itself, which is probably the reason for all the warning signs). The only mention we get of a hard caste system comes from the maggots. Everything else suggests it was an enlightened, egalitarian place - the only one who repeatedly condemns it is the Hunter, and that's because they think the citizenry all became soft and indolent due to the embrace of civilization. Even the stag beetle preferred it to being under Radiance's heel, and he literally existed as transportation.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

The glowing tablets appear to specifically be for void beings created by Wyrm, which were the people whose minds were created by the mask maker. "ancient caste" might actually refer to the Void civ, who seem to have once occupied the entire playable area.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Jun 4, 2017

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I would not call a civilization that has a literal slave caste and a bunch of nobles that do nothing but lord over those that have less money than them "enlightened". It looks good because the only thing we have to compare it too is a bunch of light drunk zombies stumbling around.

EDIT: Well actually you can compare it to the Mantis Tribe as well, but a murderous matriarchy isn't exactly great either.

Anyways I don't think the King is evil or anything but I don't think the game paints him as a totally good person either. I think finding him as a corpse in a desolate palace filled with nothing but guards, traps, and sycophants is really supposed to show the extent of how far he fell.

skasion posted:

Just because he's the reincarnation of a pseudo-deity doesn't mean he can't be egotistical. A god like being that is undone by their own ego isn't exactly an uncommon story.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Jun 4, 2017

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.
One thing to note about the King is that in the fungal wastes There's one mushroom in the core that thinks about something along the lines 'What use is there in begin able to see a demise you cannot prevent?', as Wyrms can see the future, so did the King know that the infection would occur before it ever began?

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

The Radiance Did Nothing Wrong

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

The Radiance Did Nothing Wrong

We must secure the existence of our light and a future for moth larvae

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

This game is so marred by having White Palace included in it.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Eh, It's optional and I think it's a nice challenge for most people.

I think the worst part is having to do a few parts over if you mess up too much. Maybe they could have been more generous with the benches. But barring that, if you have hiveblood then it becomes: Okay how do I get through this challenge? Then this challenge? and you never really have to worry about back tracking to do parts you already did if you die. It makes you think and adjust how you move in ways no other area does and is a fine end game test. That plus the dream bosses are pretty good prep for the final boss. If you struggle with both of those, chances are you are not going to have fun with the true final boss at all anyways. I'm pretty certain it takes longer for most people to beat the final boss than it does to get through the white palace. The final boss is certainly far more punishing on mistakes.

I think if it were me, the one thing I'd do is mute the saw blades. The music there is awesome and the sound of them just gets in the way of it.

And it's not like you get no prep for it. If you've been doing the optional content there's plenty of dicey platforming parts that are good practice. Getting to that one nail master where you have to do the downslash hopping, that one fricken grub in Queen's Garden You know the one. Etc.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

You don't need to listen to the saw blades, just turn the sound effect volume down. I still would have preferred something other than saw blades (why not like, a weaponized version of the motes that are floating around all the dreams) but eh.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

It is good actually

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
I hated White Palace until I equipped Hiveblood. I suck at those type of platforming sections but having Hiveblood is unlimited retries so I was able to get through it. Still couldn't beat The Radiance but getting through White Palace was pretty rewarding even if Hiveblood eliminated the difficulty of having to do it all in a single life bar.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

PaybackJack posted:

I hated White Palace until I equipped Hiveblood. I suck at those type of platforming sections but having Hiveblood is unlimited retries so I was able to get through it. Still couldn't beat The Radiance but getting through White Palace was pretty rewarding even if Hiveblood eliminated the difficulty of having to do it all in a single life bar.

I don't know if you are still trying but if it helps

I think the secret to The Radiance is just learning when it's safe to hit her or when you have to spend 100% of the time avoiding attacks. For me the worst two attacks were the homing orbs, and the horizontal swords. The others were usually easy to get a lot of damage off on the boss while also dodging.

Also what helped me, is I learned the fight with Grubberfly Elegy, Quick Slash, and the +2 Lifeblood charm (+3 is good if you have it but don't use Joni's) as grubberfly will last for two hits instead of one with that. Once I learned the fight well enough that my performance was more or less consistent, I swapped Lifeblood for Fragile Strength to make the phases shorter. The trip back to the merchant isn't that long and you can always just return to title screen right before dying if you don't want to worry about the charm breaking. I'm not great at platforming but this worked well enough for me.

Some people had some success just using Lifeblood charms + that spell damage charm and spamming Abyss Shriek. So that's worth trying too if you don't like the above.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

JuniperCake posted:

I don't know if you are still trying but if it helps

I think the secret to The Radiance is just learning when it's safe to hit her or when you have to spend 100% of the time avoiding attacks. For me the worst two attacks were the homing orbs, and the horizontal swords. The others were usually easy to get a lot of damage off on the boss while also dodging.

Also what helped me, is I learned the fight with Grubberfly Elegy, Quick Slash, and the +2 Lifeblood charm (+3 is good if you have it but don't use Joni's) as grubberfly will last for two hits instead of one with that. Once I learned the fight well enough that my performance was more or less consistent, I swapped Lifeblood for Fragile Strength to make the phases shorter. The trip back to the merchant isn't that long and you can always just return to title screen right before dying if you don't want to worry about the charm breaking. I'm not great at platforming but this worked well enough for me.

Some people had some success just using Lifeblood charms + that spell damage charm and spamming Abyss Shriek. So that's worth trying too if you don't like the above.

I never got the timing on the horizontal swords. By the 20th try I'd gotten to the second part of the battle a couple times but having to replay the hollow knight fight everytime was just so taxing. I eventually got to the final segment and jumped into a lightblast and died right before I reached him. I had already seen the ending after that so I just said gently caress it and called it a day. I'm not a competitionist so I don't have a problem not beating it properly. I did everything except the carry the flower(?) without getting hit quest so that's good enough.

PaybackJack fucked around with this message at 12:40 on Jun 5, 2017

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

The flower carrying quest isn't that hard. At first glance it looks like you're carrying poo poo all the way across the loving world through a gauntlet, but in practice if you start from the Traitor's Grave and clear out the enemies on the way to the Gray Mansion, almost nothing dangerous respawns. The biggest headache is not bumping into the little jellyfish in Fog Canyon.

Dancer
May 23, 2011

skasion posted:

The flower carrying quest isn't that hard. At first glance it looks like you're carrying poo poo all the way across the loving world through a gauntlet, but in practice if you start from the Traitor's Grave and clear out the enemies on the way to the Gray Mansion, almost nothing dangerous respawns. The biggest headache is not bumping into the little jellyfish in Fog Canyon.

Pff! What kind of coward clears out enemies ahead of time! Shame!

(and the IMO trickiest bit, though it's short, is the two tiny jumps just at the end of it. Can't clear those out)

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

Dont go through fog canyon

I just went through Resting Grounds, Crossroads, Greenpath, Garden

edit: For the last boss, I just went Joni's, Lifeblood core, Fragile Strength. I don't like using spells so I didn't do the shaman stone/abyss shriek thing. You have so much life you can just get in Hollow KNight's grill and chop him up and you'll get to the end of the fight before you run out of life probably. Your life refills for Radiance. And on Radiance, the other guy was right, the fight is just focus on dodging, and don't be greedy with trying to get damage in unless it's safe.

Ambivalent fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Jun 5, 2017

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Just did my first Arena fight. Beating Zote's rear end felt so good.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

I'd love some additional, harder arena fights.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

VolticSurge posted:

Just did my first Arena fight. Beating Zote's rear end felt so good.

Discendo Vox posted:

I'd love some additional, harder arena fights.

Same, though with how nasty the last one gets I'm kind of afraid of them making even harder ones.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Jun 6, 2017

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011
http://store.steampowered.com/news/?appids=367520

First new content pack is two new bosses and songs, an extra stag station, and whatever dream gate is. It sounds like maybe you can place two teleport ports or something

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

So It Goes posted:

http://store.steampowered.com/news/?appids=367520

First new content pack is two new bosses and songs, an extra stag station, and whatever dream gate is. It sounds like maybe you can place two teleport ports or something

Yeah sounds like a Recall Portal, which would be nice. Unfortunately I'm going to have beaten the game by the time this comes out.

I do wish there were a lot more Stag stations, or slightly better Fast Travel. While I'm glad I can't instantly go any room I want to, I've seen the same room dozens of times with different backtracking and "wait did I go over there, and was there something I couldn't reach before but now I can with double jump?? ok let me run back ahh gently caress I forgot that annoying spike-bouncing precise wall jumping room :argh:"

It's also annoying a little annoying that Crossroads gets all gummed up and pathways that used to work (i.e. dropping down to go to the Charm seller bug) require you to go all the way around now :(

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Not too subtle with who these are, eh?

Dream Defender and dream Zote

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
I'm excited

I really hope they sneak another White Palace-style platforming area into one of these dlc packs, wanna do some more good jumps

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

I'm really hyped that they're actually continuing to add to this game but I have to say I'm hoping for a few wholly new boss designs at some point and not just dream versions of stuff we've already seen. Or at least they could touch up bosses that are kind of underwhelming in the main game like Nosk or the big dumb jellyfish rather than bosses that are already cool and good. I guess dream Zote would have to be pretty original of necessity. Unless the "fight" is just you playing astral pinball with his limp, pathetic spirit.

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011
The jellyfish fight is great because of the way it's staged. One of the best moments in the game imo. Nosk definitely is missing an attack to go with his running back and forth, makes him feel like a mini boss

I imagine dung defender you will dream nail whiles he's sleeping in his room. No idea what zotes set up will be. Or what the rewards for the fights will be. I guess one will be the dream gate

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Nosk really confuses me. There's a whole bunch of effort put into setting it up but then the fight itself is really easy and underwhelming. Terrifying apex predator of the darkness that just runs back and forth like an excited dog.

Honestly, I'd love dream versions of more of the bosses just to see what they would be like as a difficult fight. I assume Hornet's DLC will have more wholly original bosses but if they wanna add more dream fights to the main game I'm totally down with that. Like one where you fight all 4 Mantis Lords at the same time.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

Internet Kraken posted:

Nosk really confuses me. There's a whole bunch of effort put into setting it up but then the fight itself is really easy and underwhelming. Terrifying apex predator of the darkness that just runs back and forth like an excited dog.

Honestly, I'd love dream versions of more of the bosses just to see what they would be like as a difficult fight. I assume Hornet's DLC will have more wholly original bosses but if they wanna add more dream fights to the main game I'm totally down with that. Like one where you fight all 4 Mantis Lords at the same time.

:agreed:

Dream Mantis Lords is something I've wanted since finding out about the Dream Boss thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

skasion posted:

I'm really hyped that they're actually continuing to add to this game but I have to say I'm hoping for a few wholly new boss designs at some point and not just dream versions of stuff we've already seen. Or at least they could touch up bosses that are kind of underwhelming in the main game like Nosk or the big dumb jellyfish rather than bosses that are already cool and good. I guess dream Zote would have to be pretty original of necessity. Unless the "fight" is just you playing astral pinball with his limp, pathetic spirit.

given the angle of the sword he's holding and the shoulders, I think we're in for Giant Grimdark Beefcake Zote, who might be in Bretta's dream instead of his own.