Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

i believe that for the old faction that only applies in the combined map mode, as for the new factions

No regional occupation limits: factions can settle anywhere.

Factions instead will have preferred climates. Settling in an environment that your faction isn't good with will lead to penalties such as increased build times, reduced growth and public order, and so on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Davincie posted:

i believe that for the old faction that only applies in the combined map mode, as for the new factions

No regional occupation limits: factions can settle anywhere.

Factions instead will have preferred climates. Settling in an environment that your faction isn't good with will lead to penalties such as increased build times, reduced growth and public order, and so on.

Right. From what I've seen so far, I think they're pretty much leaving the Old World Campaigns untouched, unless you play the Combined Map, which unlocks all the various Game 2 mechanics like no regional occupation, expanded building slots, dragon breath, exploring ruins, rogue armies, ect.

CA has said that they (rightfully) expect the combined map campaign to become the default play experience in the long run, so it makes a certain amount of sense to treat the Old World as it's own standalone campaign experience, like the Vortex campaign will be in like two years when Game 3 comes out.

madmac fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Jun 4, 2017

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

madmac posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/totalwar/comments/6f4njh/compilation_of_all_tww2_new_information/

Most notably I would say just the surprising admission from CA that they can create non-armybook factions.

God (Allah, I guess?), I hope we'll get Araby as a faction for game 2.

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived
I am extremely hyped for this, it really sounds like they taken the lessons learned introducing more factions to vanilla to heart by making lords increasingly unique and putting in more abilities and just generally making factions distinct and interesting.

Perhaps they'll give Warriors of Chaos a look to make it a more interesting faction with the old/new world merge dlc? I'm also curious to see if the horde factions get an update to building slots in some fashion since they are expanding it for settled factions.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

ZearothK posted:

I think we'll get multiple minor factions in Game 2, if only because they've got no DLC to sell otherwise. I mean there's Tomb Kings, Couple of Lord Packs, and that's it unless they get creative.

Compared to the first game that had Four DLC factions+The Blood Pack and 2 Lord Packs and that was CA being conservative with planned DLC because they didn't know how well the game would sell.

Plus the New World is where most of the cool but obscure lore factions hang out anyway. Vampire Coast, Araby, Estalian Conquistadors/Dogs of War, Amazons, even Norscans (Wulfrick the Wanderer!) would all be workable.

Also Fishmen, obviously. Can't have Warhammer without fishmen.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

ZearothK posted:

I think Araby's religion, from what has been written over the years, in the Warhammer world is basically just Islam and Zoroastrianism mashed together. Their god is Ormazd (another way of writing Ahura Mazda) and the religion was revealed by a prophet (which is a common thing for both Islam and Zoroastrianism).

madmac posted:

I think we'll get multiple minor factions in Game 2, if only because they've got no DLC to sell otherwise. I mean there's Tomb Kings, Couple of Lord Packs, and that's it unless they get creative.

Compared to the first game that had Four DLC factions+The Blood Pack and 2 Lord Packs and that was CA being conservative with planned DLC because they didn't know how well the game would sell.

Plus the New World is where most of the cool but obscure lore factions hang out anyway. Vampire Coast, Araby, Estalian Conquistadors/Dogs of War, Amazons, even Norscans (Wulfrick the Wanderer!) would all be workable.

Also Fishmen, obviously. Can't have Warhammer without fishmen.

It would be cool if they made a non-lovely Norscan roster for whatever that Norscan colony in Lustria is called. Though I will say that I would be more excited for Estalia. And I can't really see how they'd include Araby as just Empire units without it just seeming ridiculous, so I would even think it's quite possible they will have a roster upon release if we are going to have the Southlands from the start. Estalia might use Empire units from start, but I have hmy hopes up that they will get their own stuff.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Jun 4, 2017

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS
Cataph has some pretty fantastic factions out for all of the minor factions barring Kislev. So at least there's that.

Also, I just realized that Skaven magic is going to be loving hysterical. Picture vortex spells, only harder to control and far more dangerous to you.

Edit: Personally, now that we know that elves are getting actual espionage in along with them i'm hoping one of the DLC's adds in the Lahmian vampire bloodline as a faction alongside the Tomb Kings. Not only are they a shoo in for being a rival faction but the implications on how they would work in a strategic campaign mean that they're honestly one of the most interesting factions to play on the espionage end of things.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Jun 4, 2017

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I'd be content with Kislev and the southern realms being Empire rosters with tweaks. IE reskin them, remove units that don't make sense, and add a few unique units and maybe a unique character type.

IE Tilea doesn't get the luminark, demigryphs, greatswords, or reiksguard but does get pikemen, birdmen (of catrazza as an RoR), duelists as super-free company, and a master engineer lord. They're a defensive, engineering-focused faction. Estalia loses the same stuff as Tilea and also loses any war machine fancier than the great cannon, but gets pikemen, duelists, superior swordsmen (loose formation sword-and-buckler types in conquistador helmets), horse-drawn light cannons, and a pistolier-type unit with decent melee and armor stats. A Conquistador lord who has Skarsnik-esque buffs. They're focused on surrounding their core pike blocks with light, elite skirmisher types well-suited for jungle fighting. Kislev gets the Empire roster, again minus any contraption fancier than a cannon, no demigryphs or Sigmar stuff. Their greatswords are Boyars wielding both greataxe and bow, well-suited for fighting chaos warriors and marauder horse, and instead of knights and pistoliers they have superior winged lancers and ungol horse archers respectively. Their Lord is a Boyar Prince who is tougher than an empire general in melee, carries a bow, and can ride a bear. Maybe give them a light gun mounted on a tachanka. They get ice wizards instead of imperial college ones. They're specialized to fight Chaos. Add in a roster with a mix of Kislev and southern realms RoRs that Kislev, Empire, or the southern realms all have access to.

Border Princes can get an even more cut down Empire roster with duelists and pikemen added, as well as a few dwarf units, marauders, goblin wolves, and access to the empire, human, and dwarf RoRs. Toss in some ogre units when they come, too. They're the faction version of a rogue army.
You could also maybe give each roster a flat stat change compared to the empire versions- Kislev loses armor but gains speed and charge, Tilea loses melee attack but gains armor, Estalia loses weapon damage but gains melee attack and defense.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

ZearothK posted:

I just hope this freedom means they come up with a faction name that's less on the nose than "Araby". Elephants are cool, genies are cool, but saying a real-world place fits in a fantasy world without even a name change isn't cool (see also Nippon & Cathay)

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Though I'd appreciate finding an adequately cheesy replacement, comparable to Bretonnia.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

my dad posted:

Though I'd appreciate finding an adequately cheesy replacement, comparable to Bretonnia.
Yeah, though they did just steal city and region names straight up, like Carcassone and Aquitaine. Bordeleaux at least adds a tiny bit of obscurity. Still, with the Bretonnian factions and subfactions, it comes across as cheesy instead of just weirdly lazy. Nippon sticks out the most in that regard.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

I hope they add a way to 'fix' bad traits for everyone.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Ravenfood posted:

Yeah, though they did just steal city and region names straight up, like Carcassone and Aquitaine. Bordeleaux at least adds a tiny bit of obscurity. Still, with the Bretonnian factions and subfactions, it comes across as cheesy instead of just weirdly lazy. Nippon sticks out the most in that regard.

Araby, Nippon, Ind, and Cathay, along with the only native sub-saharan africans or americans being dinosaurs and orcs, kinda reminds of how 80s british nerds were hella racist.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Araby, Nippon, Ind, and Cathay, along with the only native sub-saharan africans or americans being dinosaurs and orcs, kinda reminds of how 80s british nerds were hella racist.

not true they had pygmies

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

No, they just needed a name to put on the map and were lazy.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!

drat Dirty Ape posted:

It would be cool if it was unique to to each race.

Empire: Fill all the offices and negative traits will slowly drop off at random.

Dwarves: Fulfill a grudge to remove a negative trait with that Lord.

Vampires:?

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

I just got done with a wood elf campaign. Is Durthu really supposed to be so small? He's not even that big compared to normal units.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

I just got done with a wood elf campaign. Is Durthu really supposed to be so small? He's not even that big compared to normal units.

I mean, human sized units barely reach his knees, how big were your expecting him to be exactly? The only Lord who even approaches him in size is Kholek Sun-Snacker

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

drat Dirty Ape posted:

They said they're doing the Bretonnian style trait system for everyone, and they can remove negative traits by camping in towns with churches to pray in (unless that's just a mod I use). With increased building options I'm sure there will be something similar for other factions.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

If they make every faction have a Bretonnian-esque mechanic like chivalry, a Wood-elf style final battle, and Beastmen-esque "dilemma events" I would be so happy.

Speaking of: does anyone know of good dilemma-event mods for current factions?

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
Oooh sfo is fun. First time in a dwarf campaign the greenskin factions have been aggressors. It takes me back to TWW launch when Grimgor would always show up by turn 5 and wreck your poo poo. I'm expanding but slowly and always dancing around to put out fires.

Grimgor just stopped by the silver road with 4 giants and is about to probably end my campaign if I can't figure out a way to damage him enough with my noob stack that he'll retreat

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Can't believe Miners with Blasting Charges are actually doing pretty decently in my pre-midgame composition. They're certainly not a counter to cavalry, but they'll bloody anyone that they fight, and anyone stupid enough to not engage them catches bombs to the face. Not as good as killing as Irondrakes, nor savaging cavalry like Great Weapons, but a decently-effective hybrid for a gold-starved player.

BTW, Mammon, your melee infantry damage skill doesn't affect Miners with Blasting Charges.The melee attack/charge skill works fine though, and so does the 2x explosive charge skill.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Ammanas posted:

Oooh sfo is fun. First time in a dwarf campaign the greenskin factions have been aggressors. It takes me back to TWW launch when Grimgor would always show up by turn 5 and wreck your poo poo. I'm expanding but slowly and always dancing around to put out fires.

Grimgor just stopped by the silver road with 4 giants and is about to probably end my campaign if I can't figure out a way to damage him enough with my noob stack that he'll retreat

Quarrelers eat giants alive, since they have no armor. We're talking like 5 volleys from one unit before it goes down.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Dramicus posted:

No, they just needed a name to put on the map and were lazy.

Lol google the pygmies

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Panfilo posted:

It would be cool if it was unique to to each race.

Empire: Fill all the offices and negative traits will slowly drop off at random.

Dwarves: Fulfill a grudge to remove a negative trait with that Lord.

Vampires:?

Vampires: Kill an enemy character (either via assassination or by participating in a battle where they die) and snack on their delicious blood/lifeforce/bone marrow.

Orcs: Git krumpin'. :orks101:

Lizards: Perform some rites around a magical nexus point.

Dark Elves: Sacrifice a whole bunch of slaves.

High Elves: gently caress if I know. Cuddle some dragons?

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006

Ravenfood posted:

Bordeleaux at least adds a tiny bit of obscurity.

It's also a pun on "bordello" right?

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters

Perestroika posted:

Vampires: Kill an enemy character (either via assassination or by participating in a battle where they die) and snack on their delicious blood/lifeforce/bone marrow.

Orcs: Git krumpin'. :orks101:

Lizards: Perform some rites around a magical nexus point.

Dark Elves: Sacrifice a whole bunch of slaves.

High Elves: gently caress if I know. Cuddle some dragons?

High Elves could go nap in their magic whirlwind maybe. Skaven, of course, go for a roll in some warpstone.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

vorebane posted:

High Elves could go nap in their magic whirlwind maybe. Skaven, of course, go for a roll in crumble up and snort some warpstone.

Fixed that for you.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

wiegieman posted:

Quarrelers eat giants alive, since they have no armor. We're talking like 5 volleys from one unit before it goes down.

Yeah I have 4+ Grimgor + skulkers by the time I've dropped one half my line of ranked DW are routing lol. Going to try some formation fuckery

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
Has CA said if they are going to rework the original lords to bring them inline with the newer ones?

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Ammanas posted:

Yeah I have 4+ Grimgor + skulkers by the time I've dropped one half my line of ranked DW are routing lol. Going to try some formation fuckery

Are you fighting them at Karaz-a-Karak or one of the minor settlements? If you're fighting a max stack on the field without a max stack of your own then of course you're going to lose.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Ammanas posted:

Against AI Dwarfs can safely bring 1:1 ranged:melee. You should be able to drop a few giants before they even hit your line.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Here's a secret about fighting dwarves: if you can outgun them at range, do so. Dwarves hate an enemy with more ranged firepower than they do, especially in artillery, since they're so slow to move. The Empire and welves obviously have the easiest time with this, but if your unit options allow you want to grind them down at range and make them on their stubby little legs come to you.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Dwarves have incredible ranged units though imo. Mortars may be better for s
Destructive force but my ai armies rely a lot on thunderers, quarrelers, and arty

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters

Archonex posted:

Fixed that for you.

Sure, if you're a slave rat, but the upper crust Skaven need enough warpstone to go diving in.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

It's also a pun on "bordello" right?
it's some extraneous letters crammed into the name of a real life french city.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

Dwarves have incredible ranged units though imo. Mortars may be better for s
Destructive force but my ai armies rely a lot on thunderers, quarrelers, and arty

3 mortars beats 2 cannons. You don't need better artillery, you just need more artillery. Here's a helpful tutorial:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNgNBsCI4EA

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Asehujiko posted:

it's some extraneous letters crammed into the name of a real life french city.

It's both

This is the company that gave us Grimloq the t-rex, Margaret Thatcher the ork boss and Tic Tac To the skink

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Periphery posted:

Has CA said if they are going to rework the original lords to bring them inline with the newer ones?

When asked about this on previous ask me anythings, they have said that this is something they want to do "at some point", but it's not a development priority. So maybe sometime in the distant future, but not any time soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!

vorebane posted:

High Elves could go nap in their magic whirlwind maybe. Skaven, of course, go for a roll in some warpstone.

The Skaven will have nothing but negative traits, and they'll be drat proud of it. I mean, can you imagine a Skaven with brave or fearless?

• Locked thread