Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Sardonik posted:

Same here, introducing a friend to it the 10PM show tonight.

I remember going to one the shortly after the election. The drinking game was a loud, enthusiastic, "gently caress TRUMP!". :allears:

I was at the 10pm also. I was really hoping the drinking game tonight would not be covfefe, but there was no stopping the mob.

I did a Christmas show, and our drinking game was gently caress trump as well. The main guy John really hates Trump to the point where I think the election devastated him. I'm fine with the anti Trump jokes and enjoy it being a two hour trump mock - but I know some people don't. gently caress those guys though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

Man who doesn't know women can now be drafted is somehow dumber than you'd think.

karlor posted:

Taylor is effectively Republican and Nirenberg got Castro's endorsement. I don't know much about him but he seems to care about improving transportation infrastructure (which I like). Honestly, I'm mainly interested in voting out Taylor since 1) it was really lovely that she got appointed interim mayor after Castro on the promise that she wouldn't run for mayor afterwards, which of course she broke, and 2) in the debates during the previous runoff she stated that she wouldn't even consider any light-rail/commuter-rail projects (I know it's unlikely that we'll ever get light-rail but I would at least like a mayor that's open to the possibility).

Voted Ron for the same reason even though I feel like I'm the only person on the east side to do so. But I'm definitely making sure my councilman is gone how in the hell did he think the I was drugged excuse was going to work.

SirKibbles fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Jun 5, 2017

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot
https://twitter.com/clmazin/status/871412126774165504

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

https://twitter.com/TexasTribune/status/871887121354817537

That's quite a steep drop, even at rich schools.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

ReidRansom posted:

https://twitter.com/TexasTribune/status/871887121354817537

That's quite a steep drop, even at rich schools.

Thank god the Lege knows what's really important (property tax reduction).

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Fake property tax reduction

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Companion tweet:

https://twitter.com/TexasObserver/status/871865852609646596

Parachute
May 18, 2003
best *chokesonownwords* in the world!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Abbott is having a press conference at 2:30 that everyone assumes is the special session announcement. He was agitating about property taxes yesterday, but not the bathroom bill, so the supposition is that he's going to add property taxes to the call. Dunno how that's going to work, you can't actually reduce/reform property taxes without tackling school finance, and the Senate isn't going to go along with a new finance plan that doesn't include vouchers, and the House had 2 votes last session where more than 2/3s of the body rejected any public money going to private schools. Also, the Senate's property tax proposal, cutting the rollback rate and making rollback elections automatic, has no support in the House.

The problem with the property tax bills (and the bathroom bill) wasn't that they ran out of time, it's that the House and Senate have fundamentally unresolvable differences on the issues. All the Perry specials came about because Senate Democrats were able to leverage the 2/3s rule to block GOP priority bills like abortion poo poo and voter ID. With that gone, the R's can get anything through the Legislature they want. There is no Republican consensus on property tax reform or the bathroom bill, and 30 days, or 60 or 90, aren't going to change that.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
What's some good reading material on the screwed up school finance system in Texas?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

There's not much to it: we pay for schools with local property taxes and state funding from the Permanent School Fund. But the legislature has chronically underfunded their share of public education, meaning more and more of the cost gets put on the local tax base. There's Robin Hood, ASATR, the 2006 tax compression and the finance formula is byzantine for sure, but the core problem is that the state isn't paying its fair share. Same thing with higher ed, which is why tuition is skyrocketing.

Here's the TEA site with like 15 one-pagers on all the different weights and allotments that determine how much a school gets per student.

zoux fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Jun 6, 2017

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Also the property tax system is hosed up.

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

Badger of Basra posted:

This.

I have an ex-GIRLFRIEND who was a property tax consultant in Houston. Companies get tons of reductions if they just show up and dispute property taxes.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Badger of Basra posted:

Yeah but that's because of school finance.

https://twitter.com/amanbatheja/status/872105619511271425

Also yes, that's us and 15 other states filing an amicus brief in favor of the travel ban to SCOTUS because we WILL be on the wrong side of history goddamn it.

zoux fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Jun 6, 2017

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008

zoux posted:

There's not much to it: we pay for schools with local property taxes and state funding from the Permanent School Fund. But the legislature has chronically underfunded their share of public education, meaning more and more of the cost gets put on the local tax base. There's Robin Hood, ASATR, the 2006 tax compression and the finance formula is byzantine for sure, but the core problem is that the state isn't paying its fair share. Same thing with higher ed, which is why tuition is skyrocketing.

Here's the TEA site with like 15 one-pagers on all the different weights and allotments that determine how much a school gets per student.

What's the bigger cause of the underfunding, the state not keeping pace with growing costs or a reduction in funding? How can the state raise the funds if they chose to unfuck everything (tax increases, budget reallocation, policy changes?).

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

JUST MAKING CHILI posted:

What's the bigger cause of the underfunding, the state not keeping pace with growing costs or a reduction in funding? How can the state raise the funds if they chose to unfuck everything (tax increases, budget reallocation, policy changes?).

The former. The easy fix is a graduated income or property (or wealth! lol) taxes, and a statewide or preferably nationwide educational funding system. Local control is about segregation.

iirc the system was cut after the 2008 crash and funding has gone up more slowly than necessary every year since.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

This year they put in, I think, like $2.5 bn into the FSP to cover enrollment growth, which is like less than half of what they need.

Also, Texas will never, ever have a state income tax because of the Bullock amendment in the state constitution, which requires that two-thirds of Texas voters approve it.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008

zoux posted:

This year they put in, I think, like $2.5 bn into the FSP to cover enrollment growth, which is like less than half of what they need.

Also, Texas will never, ever have a state income tax because of the Bullock amendment in the state constitution, which requires that two-thirds of Texas voters approve it.

Yeah, I knew that much about state income tax so I'm not even going to bother with that type of solution. Who wants progressive taxation anyway, all tax is theft!

What other actually likely to happen funding solutions are there? Seems that everyone I know that owns a house disputes their property taxes to lower them, despite their property values skyrocketing since they became owners.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Is that income only? Could they pass an asset tax with a simple majority?

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Remember that the state and literally every local entirety trips over themselves to hand out property tax abatement to businesses, further reducing the tax base.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

likely to happen funding solutions

None. It's more likely that we'd increase the sales tax than anything, and even that is a loooooong shot. We passed a franchise tax in 2006 to cover the revenue loss from the prop tax cut and now it's like everyone's #1 priority to get rid of it. With no new revenue to cover it. Remember the Republicans here, and everywhere, think we already have way more money than we need, it's just bad teachers/welfare queens/federal regulations that are making us not have enough.

Aliquid posted:

Is that income only? Could they pass an asset tax with a simple majority?

Depends on what the courts say

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

zoux posted:

Also yes, that's us and 15 other states filing an amicus brief in favor of the travel ban to SCOTUS because we WILL be on the wrong side of history goddamn it.

Chinese historians probably won't have the same view as the illiterate warlords ruling over North America.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/amanbatheja/status/872105619511271425

Lol this is because of Trump's tweet.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Much like most of American politics in the last six months, yes.

e:https://twitter.com/TexasGOP/status/872133206954389505

lol the GOP is so loving backwards.

zoux fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Jun 6, 2017

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

zoux posted:

Much like most of American politics in the last six months, yes.

e:https://twitter.com/TexasGOP/status/872133206954389505

lol the GOP is so loving backwards.

quote:

freedom of speech*

hahaha

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/PatrickSvitek/status/872152678373224448

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

19 items ughhhhh

E: he wants the Senate version of property taxes and the House version of the bathroom bill.

Also a panoply of city-loving bullshit, abortion crap and budget restrictions

The public union busting bill is back too. And special ed vouchers. Just a smorgasbord of red meat GOP primary voter bullshit. What a disaster.

zoux fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Jun 6, 2017

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Lived here 10 years, but only recently started caring about local politics.

Can someone point to me to something that explains special sessions?

What happens when nothing gets done in these sessions?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

skipdogg posted:

Lived here 10 years, but only recently started caring about local politics.

Can someone point to me to something that explains special sessions?

What happens when nothing gets done in these sessions?

The governor can call a 30-day session whenever he wants and he sets the agenda. He can modify that agenda at will. Only what he puts on the agenda is eligible. After 30 days, he can call another one. And another one. And another one.

But it sounds like he won't, they're gonna get this one shot and then that's it.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

So which of the 19 things are actually going to be addressed, because there's no way they can hit all of them

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Badger of Basra posted:

So which of the 19 things are actually going to be addressed, because there's no way they can hit all of them

Bathroom bill is a lock, property taxes is dicey because rural House members won't back the auto rollback provisions, teacher pay is possible, all of the city-loving laws are possible, maternal mortality is probable. It's basically going to come down to the order they come up in, the later they go the less of a chance. Also, since Abbott said he won't open the call until Sunset passes (thereby precluding Patrick holding it to force Abbott to put his specific crap on the call) expect Dems to drag that out to a week or so.

Anyway, thanks to the NYT for their "Abbott is a lil bitch" article yesterday that led to this stunt.

E: good news from that presser is that he signed the texting while driving ban, which I'm a fan of.

zoux fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Jun 6, 2017

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

I'm slightly surprised redistricting didn't make the cut. There was talk of calls for that from US House members.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

ReidRansom posted:

I'm slightly surprised redistricting didn't make the cut. There was talk of calls for that from US House members.

Not without a court holding a gun to their heads.

I agree, as usual, with Hooks here.

https://mobile.twitter.com/cd_hooks/status/872181931638755328

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

zoux posted:

Not without a court holding a gun to their heads.

I think he means the talk about them wanting to gerrymander again before the court makes them unfuck it.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Badger of Basra posted:

I think he means the talk about them wanting to gerrymander again before the court makes them unfuck it.

Well the court that's gonna make em un gently caress it will be deliberating the case during the special, so a bad faith last ditch on purpose gerrymander probably wouldn't endear them to the court. Also I think the intent is to have new maps by the midterms.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/meridithmcgraw/status/872279100081262592
https://twitter.com/alexburnsNYT/status/872279859233509376

RIP Chet.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Lol

https://twitter.com/TexasTribune/status/872440791326740480

The last Dem rep that did this lost her seat, but she was from El Paso and got primaried (and hit somebody). Naeve beat a GOP incumbent to take the seat in 2016, so it wasn't guaranteed she'd win the district again in 18, but now that's a lot harder.

e: oh lol I forgot the House Dem caucus named her freshman of the year. She also did that ridiculous hunger strike against SB 4

zoux fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Jun 7, 2017

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

zoux posted:

Lol

https://twitter.com/TexasTribune/status/872440791326740480

The last Dem rep that did this lost her seat, but she was from El Paso and got primaried (and hit somebody). Naeve beat a GOP incumbent to take the seat in 2016, so it wasn't guaranteed she'd win the district again in 18, but now that's a lot harder.

e: oh lol I forgot the House Dem caucus named her freshman of the year. She also did that ridiculous hunger strike against SB 4

From the Dallas Morning News:

quote:

An officer wrote that she was "uncooperative" and "staggering" as she refused to complete a field sobriety test.

"I love you and I will fight for you and I'm invoking my 5th amendment rights," Neave repeatedly told an officer while slurring her words, according to the warrant.

Sucks but hopefully we can replace her with a another dem.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

RisqueBarber posted:

Sucks but hopefully we can replace her with a another dem.

It's been a pretty tight district in the past, I do think that we're going to have an energized Dem voter base compared to an apathetic GOP one, but never bet against Republicans in Texas. I think one reason (besides being Steve Hotze's catspaw) that Patrick is going so HAM on bathrooms this session is because he's worried about a very different political landscape in 2018. A lot of it is going to depend on if SB 4 turns out the endlessly vaunted but yet to materialize sleeping giant Dem Hispanic bloc vote. But that group has supposed to have appeared and banished the GOP to the wilderness for about five sessions now, so don't hold your breath.

Also lol

Oh poo poo I'm in favor of SB 4 now
https://twitter.com/PatrickSvitek/status/872464397737877504

zoux fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Jun 7, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

As an Austinite I would be ok with SXSW leaving.

But I do hope that the SB4 bill gets shut down in court.

Zil fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Jun 7, 2017