Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Savidudeosoo
Feb 12, 2016

Pelican, a Bag Man

jivjov posted:

Saber attachments:

Blade Drain: Draws power from another lightsaber it comes into contact with. Takes a triumph to activate, but it reduces the damage the opposing lightsaber deals for the rest of the encounter. Three threat causes a catastrophic self fail, shutting down the power supply of your own saber.

Hilt-masking kit: disguises the lightsaber as a mundane object. The flavor text covers all sorts of stuff, like Corran's speederbike handle or Sinube's cane from Clone Wars

Pommel Cap: Add a heavy cap to the end of the saber, allows you to use the hilt itself to make melee attacks, and with GM approval house a single encumbrance 0 item in secret storage.

Stun Blaster Attachment: See Ezra's first lightsaber from Rebels. Covers both sabers disguised as blasters and Ezra's saber/blaster hybrid.

Corrupted Crystal: Base Damage 6, Crit 2, Breach 1, Sunder, Vicious 2. All force checks while possessing the saber get one dark pip added. If the character rises to 70 morality, the vicious and the dark pip go away, all the other effects remain

Cracked Crystal: Base Damage 7, Crit 3, Breach 2, Sunder, Vicious 1. Generate Despair on the combat check and the crystal can shatter. Flavor text suggests fragments of the Death Star's reactor core as a possible source.

Seeker Crystal: Produces a pink blade, wielders can detect hidden people nearby. (Not a compass to point to them; but wielder knows they are being secretly observed)

Solari Crystal: Light side version of corrupted crystal Dam 7, Crit 2, Breach 1, Sunder, Defensive 1. Blade is wider and easier to use to deflect blaster bolts. Morality drops below 50, all those properties are lost.

Formal Council Armor: Def 0, Soak 2, Encum 6/ Automatic 2 Advantage to Negotiation checks when interacting with individuals who hold Jedi in high regard; GM discretion 2 Advantage to Coercion when interacting with those who hate or fear Jedi

Ebb/Flow:

Ebb: Make an Ebb Power check, spend Pip to suffer 1 strain and inflict 1 strain on all other engaged characters, cannot be activated multiple times.

Flow: Make a Flow Power check, spend Pip to heal one strain, cannot be activated multiple times.

Magnitude upgrades let you exclude targets, Only one range upgrade.

Control upgrades let you consult the Force (the GM) on a single Yes/No question for three pips, when making an Ebb/Flow check as part of a combined check you can (Ebb)add Threat to engaged opponents or (Flow)Add Triumph to more checks of the same skill, same as before but adding (Ebb)failure and (Flow)success, can commit a Force die to add a Force die to all skill checks. Pips add success or advantage to check, but Dark pips make you suffer strain and conflict.

Mastery effect: Ebb: Once per session if a target suffered 5 strain from a single use of this power, add Despair to target's next check. Flow: If user healed 5 strain from single use of this power, add Triumph to user's next check.

Are tbere any upgrades for the Solari crystal?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Crystals linked to Morality is still just as stupid as it was in KotOR.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
New Force Power:

Also, rules for different force traditions, including Sith Lords. That was a surprise.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Covok posted:

Also, rules for different force traditions, including Sith Lords. That was a surprise.

What do you mean by rules

Like "here's how you might act if you're trying to RP a member of such-and-such tradition, here are their tenets, here's some other flavor about them", or something mechanical?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

PupsOfWar posted:

What do you mean by rules

Like "here's how you might act if you're trying to RP a member of such-and-such tradition, here are their tenets, here's some other flavor about them", or something mechanical?

Mechanical. Like, if you want to be a Sith Lord, you get a 15 XP reduction to buying the basic power of Heal/Harm, Misdirect, and Protect/Unleash, minimum cost 5XP. However, you got a drawback: whenever your morality drops, double the amount it drops. So, if you got Conflict 7 and roll a 3, you go down by 8 morality instead of 4. You can buy this drawback away by spending 30XP. You know, if you ever want to be redeemed. Frankly, sounds like a hell of a deal to me, especially since it doesn't require you being dark side to do it.

All the force traditions do that: benefit and drawback. Except for Jedi. They claim the Jedi option is choosing a Jedi mentor in the corebook (5XP reduction to all basic powers). One could argue the drawback is the opportunity cost of the other chargen benefits.

The ones included are:
Baran Do Sages
Dagoyan Masters
Gand Findsmen
Sith Lords

This is on page 79.

I could post all their benefits and drawbacks, but that could be :filez:

Covok fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Jun 5, 2017

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Covok posted:

Mechanical. Like, if you want to be a Sith Lord, you get a 15 XP reduction to buying the basic power of Heal/Harm, Misdirect, and Protect/Unleash, minimum cost 5XP. However, you got a drawback: whenever your morality drops, double the amount it drops. So, if you got Conflict 7 and roll a 3, you go down by 8 morality instead of 4. You can buy this drawback away by spending 30XP. You know, if you ever want to be redeemed. Frankly, sounds like a hell of a deal to me, especially since it doesn't require you being dark side to do it.

All the force traditions do that: benefit and drawback. Except for Jedi. They claim the Jedi option is choosing a Jedi mentor in the corebook (5XP reduction to all basic powers). One could argue the drawback is the opportunity cost of the other chargen benefits.

The ones included are:
Baran Do Sages
Dagoyan Masters
Gand Findsmen
Sith Lords

This is on page 79.

I could post all their benefits and drawbacks, but that could be :filez:

It might be, but the "I have it" thread in the FFG community forums has all that and a hell of a lot more detail, so people can find it there if they want to go check it out.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

So in the current game I'm playing in I've got a Zabrak Marauder/Enforcer with the Enhance force tree. I'm tougher than all the other character by a mile but my offense feels a step behind with Brawling. Is this just a downside to the flexibility of brawling or have I taken a bad step?

I would post my talents and stuff but my sheet is at home :/ but my Brawn is currently a 5 since I know that matters.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

TheKingslayer posted:

So in the current game I'm playing in I've got a Zabrak Marauder/Enforcer with the Enhance force tree. I'm tougher than all the other character by a mile but my offense feels a step behind with Brawling. Is this just a downside to the flexibility of brawling or have I taken a bad step?

I would post my talents and stuff but my sheet is at home :/ but my Brawn is currently a 5 since I know that matters.

Brawling definitely does less damage than Melee (vibroaxe) or ranged heavy.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

alg posted:

Brawling definitely does less damage than Melee (vibroaxe) or ranged heavy.

Gotcha. It makes sense but I'm not overly familiar with the system.

I'll take solace in the fact that most of the group falls down long before I do.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

TheKingslayer posted:

Get the giant arm blades, mod them to the nines, be space Wolverine.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Are there ways to add more hard points or am I restricted to just the one they both have?

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.

TheKingslayer posted:

Are there ways to add more hard points or am I restricted to just the one they both have?

Tinkerer.

Probably not worth it, honestly. One per item, one item per rank.

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010

TheKingslayer posted:

Try the Martial Artist specialization from No Disintegrations, the Bounty Hunter Book. It's built around making your Brawl more effective.

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.
Actually, speaking from personal experience, gently caress Enhance, get up to 2 FR and go hard down the left side of Sense.

Two upgrades on all your attacks, plus two upgrades against the first two attacks you take every round.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Ablative posted:

Actually, speaking from personal experience, gently caress Enhance, get up to 2 FR and go hard down the left side of Sense.

Two upgrades on all your attacks, plus two upgrades against the first two attacks you take every round.

The wookiee Armorer/Marauder in my campaign has invested in both.

Enhance for the extra ability die and point of soak (the utility of which is somewhat increased by Supreme Armor Master), as well as the occasional force-leap, which is useful since his main weakness is lack of strain and mobility.

Sense for the double buff and for RP utility.

Sense is particularly good if you can stack the defensive buff with a couple of ranks in Dodge or the offensive buff with a couple of ranks in Frenzied Attack.

Harkano
Jun 5, 2005

I've got a player going crazy with the weapon and armour modifications.

Is there anything I need to watch out for? Armour spikes, underslung flamethrower, the VX "Sidewinder" Repeating Blaster with an Overcharge Valve are the current things on his shopping list.

He's also excited for the armour attachment that lets him strap a weapon to it.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Disruptors.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Crit rating 1 weapons can be pretty powerful if your player also specs for high crit rolls - only really need to worry he's melee though.

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!
Underslung flamethrowers can be very nasty (breach is stunningly good) but can be balanced by the fact that it is almost as illegal as lightsabers are in Imperial space

Foxtrot_13 fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Jun 12, 2017

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

So, other than briefly playing one of the starter adventures, I'll be playing this system for the first time in a month or two. I'm working on a character, and wanted to know if there are any common character building tips. If it matters, we will be playing Edge of the Empire primarily, though Age of Rebellion material is allowed. I'm currently thinking of playing a surgical droid with the Colonist: Doctor career. I read somewhere it's beneficial to spend starting XP primarily on Characterstics. Does that sound right?

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

glitchwraith posted:

I read somewhere it's beneficial to spend starting XP primarily on Characterstics. Does that sound right?
Generally, yes. But in shorter campaigns, one-shots, and certain specific character builds, no.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

nelson posted:

Generally, yes. But in shorter campaigns, one-shots, and certain specific character builds, no.

I'll keep that in mind. It is planned to be long term, but with this group, that could easily become a one shot or relatively short game. Will probably save some points for a few off-class skills and a talent or two.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

For most species you'll have 5-10 XP left over anyway. I think it's pretty rare to be able to spend literally all of your starting XP on characteristics.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE
I usually buy a point or two and get whatever else I need from Dedication.

I ran my first game of Chronicles of the Gatekeeper and it went pretty well. One of my players re-purposed his old character from an abandoned Old Republic campaign we ran last year (a force time warp brought him to the current timeline, long story), along with their former group mentor, who is now a goofy old force ghost. I had the force ghost muster the party members and put them in the same cantina at the same time. I then had him play matchmaker with everyone until they all got drunk together and became BFFs. We didn't get far but this was a new group of characters so I wanted them to get to know each other before just throwing them in.

Also, beware the bearsloth!

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

glitchwraith posted:

So, other than briefly playing one of the starter adventures, I'll be playing this system for the first time in a month or two. I'm working on a character, and wanted to know if there are any common character building tips. If it matters, we will be playing Edge of the Empire primarily, though Age of Rebellion material is allowed. I'm currently thinking of playing a surgical droid with the Colonist: Doctor career. I read somewhere it's beneficial to spend starting XP primarily on Characterstics. Does that sound right?

You don't need to try and max out your primary stat for whatever you're doing. A 3 is perfectly serviceable (though personally I still shoot for a 4) trying to get to 5 in a stat will leave you under equipped for things that aren't your speciality.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

8one6 posted:

You don't need to try and max out your primary stat for whatever you're doing. A 3 is perfectly serviceable (though personally I still shoot for a 4) trying to get to 5 in a stat will leave you under equipped for things that aren't your speciality.

Ah, good. A 3 in Intelligence was what I had been shooting for, and that was the most likely one to get bumped to 4 if I could budget it. Since I'm playing a droid, though, I'll need to spread them out to minimize dump stats. I'll have to play with the numbers to figure out the sweet spot.

Thanks again for the input, everyone.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

The exception to not shooting for 5 is Brawn, since it does double duty.

8one6
May 20, 2012

wiegieman posted:

The exception to not shooting for 5 is Brawn, since it does double duty.

Yeah, if you're using a sword and you can hit 5 then do so. Be the wookie stab beast!

Savidudeosoo
Feb 12, 2016

Pelican, a Bag Man

8one6 posted:

Yeah, if you're using a sword and you can hit 5 then do so. Be the wookie stab beast!

My murder wookie slaughtering a cargo container's worth of Stormtroopers is still one of my fondest tabletop memories.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
So, attributes work kinda weird! They have almost a sort of reverse chargen problem, where they're a flat cost after chargen (though of course you have to GET the talent) but in chargen the cost scales depending on level. Personally, I find 3's in "side attributes" and a 4 in "main attribute" to be fine; first dedication can either knock that 4 into a 5, or turn a 3 into a 4, depending on what I'm going for. But, I like playing non-humans, or rather, I like playing with a 1 somewhere.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

An attribute will never be cheaper than at character creation. The dedication talent requires you to finish a career (100-150 xp) and spend 25 xp on the talent itself. Talents and skill ranks always cost the same so it makes sense to buy them later, especially in a game where more dice is always better.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

wiegieman posted:

An attribute will never be cheaper than at character creation. The dedication talent requires you to finish a career (100-150 xp) and spend 25 xp on the talent itself. Talents and skill ranks always cost the same so it makes sense to buy them later, especially in a game where more dice is always better.

Yes, but the weighing of attributes is all screwy because that talent raises one attribute by one regardless, whereas in chargen it costs more to raise them higher depending on how high they already are.

8one6
May 20, 2012

ProfessorCirno posted:

Yes, but the weighing of attributes is all screwy because that talent raises one attribute by one regardless, whereas in chargen it costs more to raise them higher depending on how high they already are.

Huh, I never considered that. It does make the odds of anyone using dedication to turn a 1 into a 2 really low.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

But by the same token, when you buy dedication for a level 4 characteristic you get a 50 xp benefit, as opposed to 40 xp worth for a level 3 -- and you've been rolling 4 dice instead of 3 for the whole time it took you to get there.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

ProfessorCirno posted:

I mean yeah its not as clean as that because every table is wildly different in terms of dedicate value to begin with (because they straight up talent taxes between dedications on talent trees which are too good). Ultimately this just reinforces the gold rule of spending as much xp as possible on stats.

FuriousAngle
May 14, 2006

See your face upon the clean water. How dirty! Come! Wash your face!
So, correct me if I'm mistaken, but it seems like you really have to pick 1-3 characteristics to be "dump stats" that you never plan on using. Like a pilot would dump brawn and cunning for sure. Then you pick 1 characteristic to shoot for a 4 or 5 in (the pilot would choose agility). Then the other characteristics are in the "maybe? I dunno, we'll see" category.

So for my Force Sensitive Exile/Pilot Human I chose Agility to be my high characteristic, going with a 4 and will use my first Dedication to raise it to a 5. Brawn is my dump stat, so I stuck with 2 in that and will never raise it. Willpower is my secondary so I went with a 3 in that. Cunning and Presence are both my "we'll see" stats, starting off with the basic 2 but they maaay get raised with a future dedication.

It becomes even more important if you're playing a droid, where you really have to build your characteristics from the ground up, right?

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

FuriousAngle posted:

So, correct me if I'm mistaken, but it seems like you really have to pick 1-3 characteristics to be "dump stats" that you never plan on using. Like a pilot would dump brawn and cunning for sure. Then you pick 1 characteristic to shoot for a 4 or 5 in (the pilot would choose agility). Then the other characteristics are in the "maybe? I dunno, we'll see" category.

So for my Force Sensitive Exile/Pilot Human I chose Agility to be my high characteristic, going with a 4 and will use my first Dedication to raise it to a 5. Brawn is my dump stat, so I stuck with 2 in that and will never raise it. Willpower is my secondary so I went with a 3 in that. Cunning and Presence are both my "we'll see" stats, starting off with the basic 2 but they maaay get raised with a future dedication.

It becomes even more important if you're playing a droid, where you really have to build your characteristics from the ground up, right?

Yeah kinda, I find 5 a bit overkill but Agility is kind of the king stat so you can get away with rushing a 5 if you want. Essentially you have two super common stat spreads as a non-droid character that require 100xp which isn't hard start with if you've got some obligation to get the 90 or 95 from race to bounce it up):

4/3/3/2/2/1 (humans can only go 4/3/2/2/2/2) or 3/3/3/2/2/2 (humans can go 3/3/3/3/2/2)

You can obviously put those stats in any order but I'm just using this to show the range of starting stats. On the left is the focused character who essentially picks 1 great stat and 2 good stats but must eat 1 garbage stat and the generalist who picks 3 good stats amd 3 average stats. Humans are a bit different but obviously they are way better generalists with their bonus xp and no negative stat. It's important to note that the average check for this game is 2 purple dice so if you can find just a single blue dice to add to a check for some reason then your stat of 2 suddenly becomes more likely to pass than fail against the standard check. 2 is not a dump stat but very much average chance of pass or fail on most things.

You are definitely right in that you will pick half the stats to be ones you care about and want to upgrade and about half you don't.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!

ProfessorCirno posted:

The math and scaling in this game is all over the shop across the board.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

I don't know what kind of game you are playing but my players who started with 4s in their primary stat almost always succeed in their chosen abilities. 5 is probably not necessary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE
5 is great for unskilled checks of associated skills but for someone who specializes in those skills, 4 is enough IME