Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

I'm surprised this had as much of a resolution as it did regarding where the people went.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

Can I recognize this as good but not really what I wanted? I feel like paring down the show to just kevin and nora, while emotionally satisfying, ignored the broader world eating itself alive.

stoops
Jun 11, 2001
So a whole hour of nothing, just to explain it in the last 15 minutes?

Eh.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

RentACop posted:

Except I'm pretty sure Nora was starting to yell "Stop" right before the scene cut, which means she made up that whole story. Or did she?!?!

Everyone canon being a liar right to the very end is more realistic

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

RentACop posted:

Except I'm pretty sure Nora was starting to yell "Stop" right before the scene cut, which means she made up that whole story. Or did she?!?!

I think that's what you are supposed to think. I figured the scene cut meant she stopped things while initially watching the scene, but then Nora's story could also be a possible explanation, or just a story she tells herself/others. We'll just have to let the mystery be.

e: a picture from Sepinwall's review:

Klungar fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Jun 5, 2017

frgildan
Apr 6, 2005

I went some place mum and everyday I woke up in that place and told myself I'm alive and I was.

meanolmrcloud posted:

Can I recognize this as good but not really what I wanted? I feel like paring down the show to just kevin and nora, while emotionally satisfying, ignored the broader world eating itself alive.

I feel like the ending taking place probably 20+ years after the departure kinds of shows society bounced back.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

Nichael posted:

I'm surprised this had as much of a resolution as it did regarding where the people went.

OR DID IT??????

I thought this was perfect. It's something I can see a lot of people having problems with, and their objections aren't necessarily wrong. But for me, perfection. Tweet I just saw of "extraordinary yet simple series finale " is dead on. And of course, once Kevin said "I believe you" and the main musical motif started playing it was definitely waterworks time.

Ausmund
Jan 24, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER
The episode was good but... uuuuuuuuuuuhhh disappointed as poo poo that they actually explained what happened to the departed.

CodeJanitor
Mar 30, 2005
I still can't think of anything to say.
Personally, I very much enjoyed the ending and the final story it finished with. Nora's version of what happened is just as correct as what Kevin felt he experienced with his death experiences...whether both were fake, hallucinations, or actual events took a back seat to being narratives each character needed to deal with what happened from their perspectives.

For wider viewpoints of the world at large, it doesnt matter. Just like every other previous "the end is near" prophecy, it didnt happen and life went on and everyone forgot about it (hence everyone being on their roofs finding out the next day started and ended just like every other).

It felt like a good point to end on from my perspective.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
drat Kevin. That must be some bomb rear end pussy

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Man, that was good. Also, that loving Robin Trower song at the wedding is a deep-rear end musical cut. Max Richter on point like always.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

Josh Lyman posted:

I feel like it was a nice ending, but it didn't hit me like I wanted. I didn't cry, not even close.

I want a refund. :colbert:

Same.

Scurvy
Dec 28, 2002

So wait, did Laurie not die?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
It was perfect

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Well that was loving amazing, even more than I hoped. Goodbye you ridiculously good show.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

But did Nora kill John Connor?

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Josh Lyman posted:

I feel like it was a nice ending, but it didn't hit me like I wanted. I didn't cry, not even close.

I want a refund. :colbert:

If you didn't cry during the scene between Matt and Nora you have no soul.

I mean, I didn't cry, but I can see how those with souls would

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day

Scurvy posted:

So wait, did Laurie not die?

She did not. Must have changed her mind.

I thought it was the perfect ending. 1 supernatural thing happened and everyone is super hosed up about it for the rest of their lives. The world will go on and in a couple generations it won't even have mattered.

I totally understand if people are disappointed though.

Scurvy
Dec 28, 2002

fullroundaction posted:

She did not. Must have changed her mind.

I thought it was the perfect ending. 1 supernatural thing happened and everyone is super hosed up about it for the rest of their lives. The world will go on and in a couple generations it won't even have mattered.

I totally understand if people are disappointed though.

I'm really glad she didn't.

What a satisfying ending to a show.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
Nora's story doesn't really add up. If all these people were coming through to departed-land that would be proof to the departed people that you can move between worlds. Wouldn't the scientist have immediately started building a machine and sending everyone home?

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
100% perfection. Lost is forgiven.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

UmOk posted:

Nora's story doesn't really add up. If all these people were coming through to departed-land that would be proof to the departed people that you can move between worlds. Wouldn't the scientist have immediately started building a machine and sending everyone home?

Yeah it's almost as if she's completely full of poo poo and just hosed off to the outback for 20 years

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

100% perfection. Lost is forgiven.

I thought Lost was 100% perfection. This was good, but I'm not sure how I feel about it yet. :iiam:

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

I thought Lost was 100% perfection. This was good, but I'm not sure how I feel about it yet. :iiam:

I actually liked Lost a heck lot but it shoulda been 4 seasons at most.

Ausmund
Jan 24, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

UmOk posted:

Yeah I'm a moron. Laurie changed her mind. So did Nora. "It's a nice story". The whole thing with the doves not really going anywhere. Kevin making up a story on how he found her. It even ended with the doves coming back. Went from being disappointed to really appreciating it. Just had to think on it a bit.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

UmOk posted:

It was one last test of faith and it's up to you to decide if it's a thing he believed or another thing he just wanted to believe

It was a good 5 minute realization amidst an outstanding 15 minute scene that was unfortunately at the end of an unnecessary 75 minutes. I feel like I would have loved the episode if it definitely wasn't the longest of the season

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Here's an interview between Sepinwall and Lindelof about the finale:
http://uproxx.com/sepinwall/the-leftovers-finale-damon-lindelof-recap-review/

Interesting that originally they wanted to actually show Nora going through.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

UmOk posted:

He's going to scrounge up enough supplies in an apocalyptic wasteland to send 140 million people back home?

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS
It was aight. Now that it is over I have made up my mind that Lost was the better show.

Pokemaster #421
Jul 14, 2005

For a swift one at the wrist, down on the old main drag.
Yeah Nora's whole conversation with the nun really sums up the ending for me. It's a better story, and Kevin believing her brought them back together and if that's what it takes to find happiness in the end then so be it. The more I think on it the more I really like the way it ended. What a drat good show.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Speaking of Lost, was the nun the stewardess from the tail of Oceanic 815?

CortezFantastic
Aug 10, 2003

I SEE DEMONS
I would say people thinking Nora may be lying is insane but then again they did base the entire episode on people lying so, who knows. Great ending. I believe her.

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

Nora and Kevin. gently caress, those are such good characters. Really pleased with the ending and am going to miss this show.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
That was excellent. I'm happy as hell for Kevin and Nora.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Let the mystery be.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
That was a really beautiful, understated ending to a fantastic show.

Ausmund
Jan 24, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I suspect "so the 2% were in a parallel universe" will be the new "so they were dead the whole time"

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
That was such a beautiful way to end the show.

I want to see Laurie's prop phone properly, which I believe was the only real nod to "Hey, it's the future" in the episode.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

JethroMcB posted:

That was such a beautiful way to end the show.

I want to see Laurie's prop phone properly, which I believe was the only real nod to "Hey, it's the future" in the episode.

I'd say Kevin's car too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
Great ending. I didn't come in expecting an explanation, and whether or not Nora was telling the truth, I'm good either way.

• Locked thread