Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

It definitely took me 3 days the first time I did it. Most of the people I've talked to sold that Soma you get as free DLC, since 50,000 yen is more than you're ever likely to see before the end of the second palace. Then they used the money to buy all the best equipment right away, plus all the adhesive bandages and cans of 5-SP-restorative soda they could carry.

Remember, though, you don't just get more options to spend your time as the plot advances, you also get more efficient options. Unless you absolutely insist on maxing out all social stats and confidants in a single playthrough there's no reason to insist on completing every palace in one day. Just be aware of how your progress affects the availability of party member confidants. They're not available to hang out with when you're down to the wire on time (I wanna say less than 7 days remaining?), and once you secure an infiltration route to the treasure they're unavailable until you actually steal it. This is more important for daytime slots since your daytime confidants consist entirely of other party members, plus two others, one of whom isn't even available until September.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

many johnnys posted:

Oh also Repel Phys chumps most of the game but you probably knew that.

Get Shiki-Ouji early, laugh as Joker is unkillable to a pretty big spread of early to mid enemies, I kept him fed all the way up until I got the first Girimehkala I saw thanks to Yoshida's last bonus.

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Jun 5, 2017

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
Has anyone played around with Ruthless much? I think the base game is a bit too easy outside of bosses/some tricky enemies but I tend to really dislike hard modes in Atlus games when they make everything cost more money since it just encourages boring grinding for cash.
I guess it's not as much of an issue in this game as with something like Nocturne where all the MC's abilities are gated behind big money walls though.

I have the feeling it would make the game easier if anything in most cases though, especially if knowledge about enemy weaknesses is retained on NG+.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Ruthless is just hard with docked XP as far as I've seen.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Yardbomb posted:

Ruthless is just hard with docked XP as far as I've seen.

It also increases technical damage, encouraging you to utilize status effects more.

many johnnys
May 17, 2015

From pages back but still lmao

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Huh. So here's a thing I just discovered. Caroline & Justine have special dialogue if you happen to have the next Persona on their list in solitary confinement. Not much dialogue, just a "Huh. How about that, you already have the next one in solitary." I'm mostly impressed it exists at all. I found this out when I ranked up and they automatically moved into their spiel for the next one.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Rangpur posted:

Huh. So here's a thing I just discovered. Caroline & Justine have special dialogue if you happen to have the next Persona on their list in solitary confinement. Not much dialogue, just a "Huh. How about that, you already have the next one in solitary." I'm mostly impressed it exists at all. I found this out when I ranked up and they automatically moved into their spiel for the next one.

That's because personas in solitary are still considered in your inventory.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

jfc Hifumi's mom is just a huge 'gently caress you' to anyone playing on Merciless. 100% does nothing but spam elemental weaknesses (and she seems to have all of them except light) and follows up on any extra turns she gets with Mudoon and Mamudoon. Also resists all elements. I'm legitimately not sure how you're meant to deal with that short of knowing the gimmick in advance, and even then you have to pray those 'Evade Element' skills trigger for your party.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

That fight was the most obnoxious poo poo in the game.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Rangpur posted:

jfc Hifumi's mom is just a huge 'gently caress you' to anyone playing on Merciless. 100% does nothing but spam elemental weaknesses (and she seems to have all of them except light) and follows up on any extra turns she gets with Mudoon and Mamudoon. Also resists all elements. I'm legitimately not sure how you're meant to deal with that short of knowing the gimmick in advance, and even then you have to pray those 'Evade Element' skills trigger for your party.

This must be what it's like for the shadows to fight Joker & crew except replace mudoon with bullshit all-out attacks and financial extortion.

"They've got this bullshit cat thing that just spams full heals EVERY ROUND!"

TheLoser
Apr 1, 2011

You make my korokoro go dokidoki.
"Sometimes, before the fight even starts, this UFO thing will just show up and knock you on your rear end. It's bullshit."

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
when I fought that mementos boss that brainwashes your entire party right out of the gate, I did the drew scanlon blink irl

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
my gimmick for every mementos boss on merciless was arsene + concentrate, black viper, and almighty boost/amp

Ruby Prism
Aug 7, 2011

With this, I'll be able to make the ultimate pie!
I'm trying to collect some decor, and I read Temperance gives you one after you take her on a couple of dates. And yet I still haven't figured out how to actually do that. Despite having several hangout spots unlocked, whenever I call her, she will bring up how she'll let me pick where we'll go that night. And then the game immediately cuts to the generic scene in the protagonist's room, without ever opening up the map and offering you a choice like it does with other confidants.

What am I missing?

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

Moltrey posted:

when I fought that mementos boss that brainwashes your entire party right out of the gate, I did the drew scanlon blink irl

Yeah, that was a fun one. That was my first and only game over in my first playthrough; my entire party got wiped before I even got to do anything.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

Sophism posted:

I'm trying to collect some decor, and I read Temperance gives you one after you take her on a couple of dates. And yet I still haven't figured out how to actually do that. Despite having several hangout spots unlocked, whenever I call her, she will bring up how she'll let me pick where we'll go that night. And then the game immediately cuts to the generic scene in the protagonist's room, without ever opening up the map and offering you a choice like it does with other confidants.

What am I missing?

Temperance will only ask you to go somewhere.

Ruby Prism
Aug 7, 2011

With this, I'll be able to make the ultimate pie!

SpazmasterX posted:

Temperance will only ask you to go somewhere.

Ah that's a shame. Was really hoping I'd get to initiate interaction after maxing the confidant, but oh well.

Mystery solved though, so thanks!

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

https://twitter.com/85kgx77kg/status/869907745826160640

Automatonic Water
Jul 8, 2012

dig thru the ditches
and burn thru the witches
and slam in the back of my.........
.........DRAGULA

Yams Fan

Thats quality poo poo

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Digirat posted:

That fight was the most obnoxious poo poo in the game.

I beat that boss by criting her twice and nuked her with all out attacks. (I had a persona with the passive +Crit ability and Ryuji with the comparative accessory. :v: )

Automatonic Water
Jul 8, 2012

dig thru the ditches
and burn thru the witches
and slam in the back of my.........
.........DRAGULA

Yams Fan

AlternateNu posted:

I beat that boss by criting her twice and nuked her with all out attacks. (I had a persona with the passive +Crit ability and Ryuji with the comparative accessory. :v: )

Yeah I'm pretty sure I chumped half the mementos bosses with liberal use of Miracle Punch.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

Automatonic Water posted:

Yeah I'm pretty sure I chumped half the mementos bosses with liberal use of Miracle Punch.

This but the entire game

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Miracle Punch definitely saved my rear end on more than one occasion.

I just cleared story mode earlier this evening. Holy poo poo, that game. It was worth the wait, but now I'm in that "I enjoyed the story and now I'm sad because I want more story" funk.
Still short some trophies. I followed the Max S.Links guide, so I know I missed out on a lot of side stuff.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
The Butler/Maid costume DLC came out today for for free for yall out there still playing the game. The Christmas outfits DLC comes out next month and I think that's wild for a story based game but hey

If you're still playing, get cozy with your handsome butler boys

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

Joker's Beetlejuice vest is actually pretty fly

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~
I want to say of course, Joker has a monocle because he's the type of guy that would ironically wear a monocle as a butler

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I need to get back to the bank, but Nier happened.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

SpazmasterX posted:

I want to say of course, Joker has a monocle because he's the type of guy that would ironically wear a monocle as a butler

lol, "ironically"

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Moltrey posted:

The Butler/Maid costume DLC came out today for for free for yall out there still playing the game. The Christmas outfits DLC comes out next month and I think that's wild for a story based game but hey

If you're still playing, get cozy with your handsome butler boys

Plz let me take screen shots atlus. Also, I put off NG+ so I could get this butler set for a month.

It's cute how Akira always wears glasses in every outfit except his PJs.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Alder posted:

Plz let me take screen shots atlus.

The way I've gotten around this lately and also streaming the game is through using remote play on PC, the native PS4 stuff may be blocked but they can't stop you from screen capturing. :v:

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Yardbomb posted:

The way I've gotten around this lately and also streaming the game is through using remote play on PC, the native PS4 stuff may be blocked but they can't stop you from screen capturing. :v:

My wifi isn't strong enough for remote play.

tom bob-ombadil
Jan 1, 2012

SpazmasterX posted:

Arsene Lupin is often portrayed with a monocle.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
I think I'm about to start Palace 7? Time/Mechanics question. Is it going to be like #6 where I have to wait until a certain day to finish? Am I gonna be locked out of doing anything by going as far in one day as possible? If I finish, will it fast forward time on me?

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Capsaicin posted:

I think I'm about to start Palace 7? Time/Mechanics question. Is it going to be like #6 where I have to wait until a certain day to finish? Am I gonna be locked out of doing anything by going as far in one day as possible? If I finish, will it fast forward time on me?

No to all three; it's just normal.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

Capsaicin posted:

Nope and send the calling card ASAP because you're in the home stretch and need as much time as you can to finish confidants and social stats

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

I forget, do you get (Palace 6 spoilers) temporarily locked out of party confidant leveling if you reach the treasure room before the last possible day? I actually don't remember, and it looks like it will be down to the wire on Haru and Futaba as it is, so I have to be careful. (Although they're literally the only ones left in the daytime slot, so...) Just now grabbed Bookworm, got the Homerun, Drink Fanatic and Guardian achievements earlier. Just waiting on Flu Season to go after the Reaper. (And also earn the absurd amount of cash I need to grind out the ultimate Personas.)

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Rangpur posted:

I forget, do you get (Palace 6 spoilers) temporarily locked out of party confidant leveling if you reach the treasure room before the last possible day? I actually don't remember, and it looks like it will be down to the wire on Haru and Futaba as it is, so I have to be careful. (Although they're literally the only ones left in the daytime slot, so...) Just now grabbed Bookworm, got the Homerun, Drink Fanatic and Guardian achievements earlier. Just waiting on Flu Season to go after the Reaper. (And also earn the absurd amount of cash I need to grind out the ultimate Personas.)

You're not. You reach the treasure, you pull out, and Akechi railroads the gang into invading on the last day possible. No time's lost either way.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Oh good. I'm still not 100% I've got this, tbh, but at least in Haru's case I only need like 6 days between now and the end of the game since she ranks up so fast. For Futaba, I'm basically just crossing my fingers at this point. OTOH if I end up spending the last two weeks before Christmas doing nothing but playing video games it would be an oddly fitting capstone. Since I'm in NG+ what's the last day to battle Caroline & Justine?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

Rangpur posted:

Oh good. I'm still not 100% I've got this, tbh, but at least in Haru's case I only need like 6 days between now and the end of the game since she ranks up so fast. For Futaba, I'm basically just crossing my fingers at this point. OTOH if I end up spending the last two weeks before Christmas doing nothing but playing video games it would be an oddly fitting capstone. Since I'm in NG+ what's the last day to battle Caroline & Justine?

I think it's the 24th beforr you reach the mementos depths, but I'm not certain.