Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Inventory list:
x2 spirit dust
x1 secret book
x1 goddess icon
x1 dracoshield
x1 talisman
x2 boots
x1 Paragon Scroll

Future non-negotiable decision is heart sealing Ophelia back to Sorcerer. Possibly Effie to Great Knight, but Beast Killer is an actual problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Junpei posted:

The translators didn't write the basic plot for Fates, IntSys did. Sure, I can say that Echoes has a better overall translation than Fates, but I'd rather have a good plot that was translated sub-parly rather than an excellently translated plot that sucked.
You were writing out specific snappy lines though, which is the work of the translators.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Endorph posted:

You were writing out specific snappy lines though, which is the work of the translators.

Well, yeah, you have a point, but those lines had to have existed in some way, shape or form in the original Japanese script.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

Junpei posted:

Well, yeah, you have a point, but those lines had to have existed in some way, shape or form in the original Japanese script.
Uh, no. One of the marks of a good translator is taking liberties with the script where appropriate to make things better for the intended audience.

Like IIRC in Awakening, Henry was a completely different character between the English and Japanese versions. There was no basis for his "happy-go-lucky-about-death" shtick in the Japanese version whatsoever.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

Uh, no. One of the marks of a good translator is taking liberties with the script where appropriate to make things better for the intended audience.

Like IIRC in Awakening, Henry was a completely different character between the English and Japanese versions. There was no basis for his "happy-go-lucky-about-death" shtick in the Japanese version whatsoever.

Not quite. Japanese Henry was more "Laughing to cover the pain" than the US version, but his basic schtick was the same.

Oddly enough, if my research is correct, Awakening's localized script both was both more faithful and better than Fates's.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
On the flipside, Gregor's entire schtick was made up for the translation, so if you thought that was good that's on the translation team

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Junpei posted:

Not really at all. The sentiment being expressed is often but not always in the original script, but the line itself is always made up for the translation. Like, always. Literal translations of Japanese into English don't exist. The JP line for 'shut up, tobin' is just a rude dismissal, then Tobin's name. and there's a billion ways you could translate that that would be more or less natural. "Be quiet, Tobin," which is less rude, "You don't know what you're talking about, Tobin,' which isn't as snappy, "Cram it, Tobin.' You could even totally rewrite it so that Gray redirects the conversation back to Clive, since Clive picks up talking after that line. "Like you could understand what a knight's been through. Right, Clive?"

You could hand that whole exchange to a hundred different translators and get a hundred and one different versions of it, some of which would be really dry, some of which would be funny, and at least two of which would involve Gray calling Tobin a cuck. and it's like that for every line in every video game that's ever been translated, pretty much. even very bland statements of fact often get translated differently based on whether or not the translator feels like trying to add some spice to it.

Heck, if a different group had translated Awakening, the army wouldn't even be called the Shepherds. In the Japanese version, they're just Chrom's vigilante band and are referred to as just "Chrom's vigilantes," no proper title or anything. Someone else might have given them a different name, and a third person might have kept that blandness.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Jun 5, 2017

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Endorph posted:

Not really at all. The sentiment being expressed is often but not always in the original script, but the line itself is always made up for the translation. Like, always. Literal translations of Japanese into English don't exist. The JP line for 'shut up, tobin' is just a rude dismissal, then Tobin's name. and there's a billion ways you could translate that that would be more or less natural. "Be quiet, Tobin," which is less rude, "You don't know what you're talking about, Tobin,' which isn't as snappy, "Cram it, Tobin.' You could even totally rewrite it so that Gray redirects the conversation back to Clive, since Clive picks up talking after that line. "Like you could understand what a knight's been through. Right, Clive?"

You could hand that whole exchange to a hundred different translators and get a hundred and one different versions of it, some of which would be really dry, some of which would be funny, and at least two of which would involve Gray calling Tobin a cuck. and it's like that for every line in every video game that's ever been translated, pretty much.

Wow. I legitimately did not know this. Thank you for telling me.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Iago is trolling us again? Man, this is getting old.

Yes, but soon this long ordeal will finally be over. If we can take control of the capital and seize the throne room, victory will be ours.

You still haven't explained why we won once Garon sits on the chair.

Azura...
Are you OK with that?
...Why do you ask?
We're about to conquer the place where you grew up...the castle you called home.

...Did you just forget who came up with the whole "We must conquer Hoshido and get dat chair" plan

If you need to, go hide somewhere safe until our work here is done.
Thank you, my friend, but I'm afraid I can't do that. I didn't side with Nohr just to lose my nerve and turn tail at the pivotal moment.
I told you once, and I shall tell you again. I am with you until the bitter end. Ending this war will benefit us all, even the kingdom I grew up in. This is what I need to do, not just for you, not just for the world...

How...wha...why...

why are we having this discussion now

That is what I believe, with all my heart. It is why I am able to bear this burden.
Azura...
Speaking of our Hoshidan siblings... We never did find him.
You're right. I don't know what to think... It's too much to process right now.
Poor Takumi. Our troops made a thorough search of the area, but didn't find a thing. Nothing... Not even a single clue as to where he might have gone.
It's as though Takumi just...vanished. But I know that's not possible.

Yeah, vanishing just like that. That's impossible. Right, Azura?

Right, the hostage we have because Garon takes hostages randomly? Keep this in mind.

She has enough to deal with at the moment.
Yes, I agree. There will be plenty of time to further break her heart later. *sigh*
Corrine, I must speak with you.
Let me guess... Is it time?
We have received our orders from Father. We are to invade the capital immediately. Please prepare your troops...and yourself.
Understood.

Oh snap, Garon is a mounted unit??

They're so frightening... Like an army of reapers out for blood!
Look! Princess Traitor is marching with them! SHAME on her!
*sigh*
How dare you show your face here after what you did to Queen Mikoto!
My husband died in that explosion, just like our queen. Monsters! All of you!!
I must...stay strong...
Filthy street rats! Out of my way! *kills the grandma*

Iago!
Hmph, one less blathering fool in the world.
Rest easy, Lady Corrine. I shall personally destroy anyone who dares speak an ill word about you.
GWAHAHAHA!! Just try and cross us Nohrians, and watch the bodies drop!

*Hans kills more civilians*

No... Please...
Patience, Corrine. King Garon is close behind. There is no telling what he'll do if he sees you standing up for Hoshidans.

They must be in defense mode. I'd wager that all of their forces are waiting inside.
Hmm, so it would seem. This bodes well for us. Our army is large enough to surround the entire premises. We might be able to secure their surrender without raising a blade.
Oh, I'm afraid that won't do, Lord Xander.
Pardon?

Oh good, they're comically evil AND inept at basic strategy. Let's just CHARGE in the defenses as their peak instead of waiting out their resources.

They don't deserve the honor of a clean and quick surrender. Besides, so long as they live, those who follow them will never stop fighting. Now is the perfect opportunity for us to kill their royalty and stake our claim. For The glory of Nohr, every last one of the Hoshidan royals must die.
That's low even for you, Iago!

How are you surprised by this, how is anyone surprised by this at this point

Oh? Well let's ask our king, shall we? King Garon! Your Majesty! What do you think of my plan? May I proceed?

I thought you might say that. Thank you, my liege.
Father...

HOW ARE YOU STILL SURPRISED BY THIS EVERYTIME

Now that we've settled our differences, let's begin the invasion. My men will attack from the rear while Lord/Lady Corrine's troops storm the front. Divide and conquer, as they say!
What say you, Corrine? Any objections?
...None. If this is what Father wishes, then so be it.
Oh, Xander, hasn't your "little princess" grown so? How proud must you be!

Do try your best not to slip and die on your own tears, will you? Heh heh heh. *leaves*
Xander, what do we—?

But we must stay strong. If we falter now, the whole world will pay the price. Corrine... Camilla told me you once asked her where justice lies.
Yes. She didn't have any more answers than I do.
Little princess... The sad truth is that justice is an illusion. A child's fairy tale. There is no light path that always leads to good, nor dark path that leads to evil. To believe that—to see the world in black and white—is missing half the picture.

So what does that have to do with the Conquest route

But this? It's too much...
Letting innocents die is a tragedy, but so is letting the chance for peace slip away. This is war. There is no such thing as a clean win when lives are on the line. Instead of clinging to a false sense of justice, hold strong to something true... The desire to do what you know is right and to protect the ones you love... And the ambition to see your vision of a peaceful future through to the end.

You goddamn hypocrite

Remember that, and find solace in it.
You're right, Xander. I know in my heart that you're right. Gods, give me strength...

This map is very annoying. That's all I'll say.

Arthur is out. He's just way too low-leveled even with me feeding him 2-3 levels every mission and his aura buff is superfluous when Selena has the exact same thing. Doesn't help that his stats are average or below in every stat.

Tae fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Jun 5, 2017

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

xander is way more evil than garon tbh. at least garon kills people because he thinks its the best for his country. kinda. or at least the best for him. xander lets people die then whines about how that actually makes him the real hero of the story.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
Youve got 2 of the same Lake picture right at the end there, not sure if that was intentional.

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.
I really like this map. I like the gimmick, the enemy layouts, all of it. It might have to do with my passion for more movement focused units, but this map was a nice reprieve from the last one.

Also, Xander is not more evil than Garon. He's certainly not the best person, but living under the yolk of a tyrant and still trying to help those when possible is potentially the best thing he can do. If he had made any overt attempt to counter his father he would have been killed on the spot.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Tae posted:

Little princess... The sad truth is that justice is an illusion. A child's fairy tale. There is no light path that always leads to good, nor dark path that leads to evil. To believe that—to see the world in black and white—is missing half the picture.
I'm all for skilled localization but I've been staring at this line for 2 minutes and wondering if there's any team in the world that could have salvaged this plot. Mid-90s Working Designs, maybe, but there's a 50/50 chance they'd do it by rewriting the entire story to revolve around Garon's uncontrollable flatuence or something.

I suppose if you're way into Fire Emblem's gameplay the maps are all that matter, but this plot reached the point where it would've actively impeded my enjoyment a while ago and it's done nothing to improve my opinion since.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Krumbsthumbs posted:

I really like this map. I like the gimmick, the enemy layouts, all of it. It might have to do with my passion for more movement focused units, but this map was a nice reprieve from the last one.

Also, Xander is not more evil than Garon. He's certainly not the best person, but living under the yolk of a tyrant and still trying to help those when possible is potentially the best thing he can do. If he had made any overt attempt to counter his father he would have been killed on the spot.

Look man he's done a lot of heinous poo poo without Garon egging him on to do it

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Rangpur posted:

I'm all for skilled localization but I've been staring at this line for 2 minutes and wondering if there's any team in the world that could have salvaged this plot. Mid-90s Working Designs, maybe, but there's a 50/50 chance they'd do it by rewriting the entire story to revolve around Garon's uncontrollable flatuence or something.

I suppose if you're way into Fire Emblem's gameplay the maps are all that matter, but this plot reached the point where it would've actively impeded my enjoyment a while ago and it's done nothing to improve my opinion since.
mid 90s working design sucked my poo poo

Krumbsthumbs posted:

Also, Xander... still trying to help those when possible is potentially the best thing he can do.
name one instance where he's done that, instead of said that it'd be really cool if he did that

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Dammit Xander, that's literally what we're doing! Our vision is supposedly those two kingdoms at peace, Garon's vision is slaughter and bloodshed!

Why do I get the feeling that putting Garon on the chair solves absolutely nothing?

Emperordaein
Jul 1, 2013
Xander's little spiel there was when I went from seeing him as just a callous idiot with some good moments, to outright despising him. Not only is he trying to paint a grey morality situation, in the most unfitting story for it possible, but his attitude, this real sense of "Oh well, that's life if it's not happening to me or my family" made my skin crawl. But it did that because of the context. See, this would be fine if Xander was a villain, and this was his warped view of the world. Which, hey, he is like this on Birthright. But they made him a hero in Conquest, and didn't change it. This moment, and how Corrine reacts to his words, tells us that this is Xander's wisdom. His righteous perspective that we're supposed to be inspired by, when it's short sighted and morally bankrupt. And guess what? He barely learns from it, because whoops. Dad's a slime monster. No moral conflict!

And lets not forget how on Birthright he gets Elise killed, and decides to suicide himself fighting Corrine, rather than respect her last wishes, and stand down. That, combined with his speech, makes me wish Corrin shoved Yato through the shithead's chest a few more times to make him shut up faster.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Emperordaein posted:

Xander's little spiel there was when I went from seeing him as just a callous idiot with some good moments, to outright despising him. Not only is he trying to paint a grey morality situation, in the most unfitting story for it possible, but his attitude, this real sense of "Oh well, that's life if it's not happening to me or my family" made my skin crawl. But it did that because of the context. See, this would be fine if Xander was a villain, and this was his warped view of the world. Which, hey, he is like this on Birthright. But they made him a hero in Conquest, and didn't change it. This moment, and how Corrine reacts to his words, tells us that this is Xander's wisdom. His righteous perspective that we're supposed to be inspired by, when it's short sighted and morally bankrupt. And guess what? He barely learns from it, because whoops. Dad's a slime monster. No moral conflict!

And lets not forget how on Birthright he gets Elise killed, and decides to suicide himself fighting Corrine, rather than respect her last wishes, and stand down. That, combined with his speech, makes me wish Corrin shoved Yato through the shithead's chest a few more times to make him shut up faster.

Ok, but have you considered that hes a good unit? Like, really good.

That makes him a hero right?
or a boss fight

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Endorph posted:

mid 90s working design sucked my poo poo
Don't be a hater, what's a few Harry Potter references and fart jokes between friends. :v:

It does sorta beg the question, though: is there a way of interpreting this dialogue that would make the plot hold up better? Seriously asking this time.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Rangpur posted:

It does sorta beg the question, though: is there a way of interpreting this dialogue that would make the plot hold up better? Seriously asking this time.

Nothing is impossible with the Ted Woolsey school of interpretation! :v:

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

"My magic powder ran out->I let you win" except the whole game

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

I don't think with what's been written in the game you can actually have Xander bitch about justice at all because if he actually believed his own justice he'd have killed Garon. Nobody actually seems to care about Garon as their father, they all see him as the pointlessly evil tyrant he is. You could have Xander rage about how he feels powerless to stop this, have Garon be a lot scarier, and make Xander try to mitigate as much of Garon's poo poo when Garon is offscreen as possible, but this just doesn't work.

To make this actually work you'd need to make this be Xander legitimately forced into doing this against his will AND show that this is the last thing Xander would want to be doing. The game does neither.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

I don't think with what's been written in the game you can actually have Xander bitch about justice at all because if he actually believed his own justice he'd have killed Garon. Nobody actually seems to care about Garon as their father, they all see him as the pointlessly evil tyrant he is. You could have Xander rage about how he feels powerless to stop this, have Garon be a lot scarier, and make Xander try to mitigate as much of Garon's poo poo when Garon is offscreen as possible, but this just doesn't work.

To make this actually work you'd need to make this be Xander legitimately forced into doing this against his will AND show that this is the last thing Xander would want to be doing. The game does neither.

He does want to rebel against Garon

in his A support

Xander posted:

I see... Well, I suppose I owe you the courtesy of explaining a thing or two. You were right about me taking out my anger at Father during my training. Sometimes being crown prince means following the king's orders no matter what. But there were times when I felt his commands crossed a line. Sometimes it didn't feel like he was trying to benefit the kingdom at all, just himself. Having to do things I didn't believe in weighed heavily on my heart. Now I'm wise enough and brave enough to stand up to Father. But back then... Those were the nights you spoke of, when I swung my blade like a wild beast.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Rangpur posted:

Don't be a hater, what's a few Harry Potter references and fart jokes between friends. :v:

The actual sequence of events would be the same but you could at least rewrite things to make the motivations less stupid/patch over insanely obvious plot holes. FE10's translation did some of that.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Tae posted:

Counterargument.

Seriously, everyone else has pointed out how full of poo poo that speech is, but man. MAN that is some lovely everything right there.

It's a speech you give to a villain specifically so the heroes can roll their eyes and maybe make a "wanker" gesture. Giving it to a supposedly sympathetic character... yeah.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

chiasaur11 posted:

Counterargument.

Seriously, everyone else has pointed out how full of poo poo that speech is, but man. MAN that is some lovely everything right there.

It's a speech you give to a villain specifically so the heroes can roll their eyes and maybe make a "wanker" gesture. Giving it to a supposedly sympathetic character... yeah.

Eh. If Conquest was genuinely the "good people in a bad place trying to make it better" story that it was originally billed as, I could see his point as billing the protagonists as the lighter shade of grey.

Fire Emblem and shades of grey have never coexisted well in my experience with the series.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Tae posted:

He does want to rebel against Garon

in his A support
"Now I'm wise enough and brave enough to stand up to Father."

except he never actually does

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

The Xander stuff is overshadowing that Corrine actually thinks Azura might coward out

Chapter 15:

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

azura keeps giving me secret villian vibes

Wayne
Oct 18, 2014

He who fights too long against dragons becomes a dragon himself

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

I don't think with what's been written in the game you can actually have Xander bitch about justice at all because if he actually believed his own justice he'd have killed Garon. Nobody actually seems to care about Garon as their father, they all see him as the pointlessly evil tyrant he is.

That's what gets me. Comfy Chair strats are a great backup plan; y'know, if no good situation comes up to launch a coup on Murderdad then if you make it to Hoshido there's still one last card to play. It makes absolutely no sense for that to be Azura's and Corrine's primary plan, let alone apparently their only plan.

Plus, unless I missed something, why would Azura think that would work in the first place? Garon clearly knows about the happy thoughts barrier and how it works, because he had to use Corrin to kill Mikoto (well, after trying to kill him/her first, of course), wouldn't it be a huge risk to assume he doesn't know about Hoshido's other defenses? I get the gameplay reason, because you need a clear but long-distance goal to mollify players for spending a good chunk of playtime on Team Evil; but not in-story.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Maybe if rather than "reveal he's evil" the chair was supposed to actually depower Garon somehow it could work. And the other children could be in on it, just establish that they literally can't take him because he's too strong, rather than they just don't want to, so that would really be the only way to have a chance against him.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

Avalerion posted:

Maybe if rather than "reveal he's evil" the chair was supposed to actually depower Garon somehow it could work. And the other children could be in on it, just establish that they literally can't take him because he's too strong, rather than they just don't want to, so that would really be the only way to have a chance against him.

Yeah, this would work SO MUCH better than what they actually gave us. Like, let's say that Xander witnessed an assassination attempt that actually managed to hit Garon, thus revealing (to him, at least) that his father (as far as he knows, at least) is Literally Invincible, and make that the SOLE reason he doesn't attempt a coup d'etat (in this scenario, he's been trying to covertly search for the means to actually harm him, and is playing along with the insanity and Blatant Evil to buy time), rather than sentimental whining over something he'll obviously never get back. Infinitely better scenario right there; he has a reason to not revolt in that he knows it won't work, he's actually trying to do something about the problem by trying to find a way to MAKE an assassination attempt work, and he isn't loyal to someone who does literally everything possible to alienate everyone with functioning morals.

Really, as is Xander comes off more as either a brainwashed underling or a spineless coward even worse than Yarne was in Awakening, neither of which is something we want to see in a protagonist unit.

Bit of a derail here, but as to what I expected Azura's crystal to show... well, honestly I was expecting something from the third route. (That's vague enough to not be a spoiler, right?)

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Frankly, the "Nohrian Royals obey Garon because they believe it's physically impossible to beat him" thing is already my headcanon. We saw in Birthright that he is, in fact, obscenely strong - if Xander, for example, had ever seen him at even a fraction of that strength, it's not unreasonable that he'd doubt anyone's ability to kill him. And if Xander says someone can't be killed, the other Nohrian siblings are likely to follow suit.

Since the throne is supposed to reveal their true nature, I figure the idea is MORE than just "show them he's an rear end in a top hat" - they already know this. But by showing it's gone FURTHER than that, and he's actually become a literal demon, they gain the motivation to try regardless. And as a bonus, by revealing his true nature like that, it DOES weaken him - he will likely lose any semblance of sanity, reason, strategy or skill that would make the raw power he holds so dangerous. He's still an obscenely powerful foe, but one that is no more intelligent than a wild beast.

I say this having never seen anything more of Fates than what I have been shown in this LP.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

I think in that case, revealing that he's a dragon should just make them even more afraid to fight him.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Avalerion posted:

I think in that case, revealing that he's a dragon should just make them even more afraid to fight him.

Well, it wouldn't give them much of a choice - and besides, they should know about that already, shouldn't they?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Cythereal posted:

Eh. If Conquest was genuinely the "good people in a bad place trying to make it better" story that it was originally billed as, I could see his point as billing the protagonists as the lighter shade of grey.

Fire Emblem and shades of grey have never coexisted well in my experience with the series.
there's been plenty of decent shades of grey in the series, like in fe4 and 5. this game's writing, is just bad.

Emperordaein
Jul 1, 2013
I'd say that the game fumbles the whole point of Garon being too strong to kill by a) barely acknowledging it (His stats are high, but honestly not that threatening. Hell, Xander in Birthright gets more hype for his power than Garon) and b) His attitude is so laughable, it's hard to take him seriously. The way he's cackling and ranting like a Saturday Morning Cartoon Villain sucks away his menace.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I'm switching Ophelia back to Sorcerer since she's learned everything from being a Witch. She loses some speed but she's still miles ahead of 99% of the cast.

Selena gets an Arms Scroll to push her swords to A rank so she can wield a Brave Sword. Combined with her skills, she's going to be a great team attacking supporter.

Azura gets both Boots because it makes the most sense.

Let's begin.

Corrine... Hmph.
Are we going to fight?
Yes. I will not let Castle Shirasagi fall, even to my own sister. Don't let even a single person breach the throne room! If I can't at least stop that, I'm a sorry excuse for a princess.
OK, sure... I'll do my best.
We will protect you, Lady Hinoka, with all the strength we possess.
Heh, I never thought I'd hear you speak so gravely, Azama. Whatever happens, I'm proud to fight with the two of you at my side. Thank you, Azama. And you, Setsuna. Thank you for everything.
And don't even try to die on me... We're in this together!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZaYJgLNihA

Falling off her peg knight...is she divebombing us?

Is...is she flying by spinning her lance really fast?

...Didn't we already fight at mount rainbow sage....?

So here's the main gimmick of the map. There are Kinshi and Falcon Knights that plague the field. Normally not a big deal, but Hinoka every four turns or so activates a permanent Dragon Vein that adds half of a flier's movement, making them go really far. All non-fliers have their movement reduced by half their movement, so the standard promoted unit of 6 becomes 4.

However if I use a Dragon Vein, the opposite occurs. Using the Veins strategically is how to counter this.

Me? I just create a wall to bait and kill all the fliers.

A lot of fliers get killed in a shifting wall of attacks, with Leo getting a near perfect level in the process, only missing defense.

There's generally three fliers:
-Silver Yumi Kinshi Knights with either Air Superiority or Bowbreaker. Their stats aren't special, but they are designed to kill your own flier units.
-Falcon Knights with Silver Naginata with Pass or Aegis. These are generally the most fearsome enemies because they have 30 speed, which can double most of my party.
-Falcon Knights with Bolt Naginata, same thing. Fearsome in hitting your low res units.

24 speed is a bit disappointing, but you are not the most disappointing unit so good job?

Soleil gets a matching 27 strength and speed, while Selena gets to level 31 for a meager +HP/SKL for actually killing the flier.

For some reason, only these two mages aggro way out from their starting position while everyone else just sits still.

As I'm crawling along, I see Setsuna at the distance. Her abilities are kinda meh aside from having Swordbreaker, but her stats are insane with 35 speed. So she's really hard to hit unless you treat her like a boss.

As for that green aura, that's Azama and his blasted Hexing Rod again. And good christ, those stats. He's beefy, faster than most of my team, and has higher attack as well.

So my plan here is to have Forrest take the hit while boosting his resistance up like crazy with Rallying Resistance. My plan worked, as Azama missed twice and hit Forrest once.

I take a small detour and have Ophelia fly down to the southwest island to pick up a level for Bowbreaker.

The reason why I didn't attack the island until now is because attacking those enemies trigger another wave of flier reinforcements.

Standing in the middle area here is the best way to safely take on those without using up a Dragon Vein.

1% mwuahahaha

Ophelia takes out both with help from Azura who gets flown in.

Meanwhile, I take care of some sudden aggro Oni Chieftains.

That takes care of those flier reinforcements.

Having even a specialized mage killer like Soleil is dangerous against these sets of mages because they all have Seal Resistance.

My own fliers got some action as the predators, with Percy getting a nice +HP/STR/LCK/DEF/RES level. Soleil also improved with a +STR/MAG/SPD/DEF level.

Setsuna has an 18% chance of hitting Ophelia. Breaker skills are awesome.

What's not awesome are more goddamn reinforcements triggered once you fight Setsuna. And there's two more turns of reinforcements after this one.

Setsuna is seriously difficult to hit otherwise without a breaker skill. Like Hana levels of dodge.

Corrine will block off the foot soldiers on that bridge, while the rest of the army prepares against the fliers.

94% crit chance sounds okay

At this point, the reinforcements are just getting really overbearing and I saved up enough Dragon Veins to move to seizing the mission point.

Odin finishes off the last foot soldier in the area for a...+HP/STR/SKL/LCK level. I'm impressed that he refuses to gain speed and still pack enough punch with basically a forged Thunder tome.

Not 94% but still good enough for the one-shot. Charlotte is almost at 40 strength with an absurd 33 speed, and she picks up Axefaire. Like she needed it.

After many turns later, I have an army awaiting just outside Hinoka. I need to one-shot her and seize immediately because I really don't want to deal with her reinforcements as well.

Absurd stats and Luna is a dangerous combination. Normally a boss tile would not be a big deal but she has a special skill called Winged Shield that prevents flier weakness and gives them Terrain bonus. Sure. Why not.

Here you are back in your true home. How does it feel?
I'm sorry, Hinoka, but I must seize the Hoshidan throne. Let me pass, or I will strike you down.
You can't mean that! Do you really feel nothing for this place? For us?! I always imagined welcoming you home, seeing you running up those steps. I longed to watch you grow up...to call you sister and hold you tight. That was my dream. But now...
That dream is dead. Isn’t it, Corrine?
Hinoka...
Psh, what am I wasting my time for? Dreaming of things that will never be... The enemy commander is right in front of me. There’s only one thing to do. When I’m through with you, you will never threaten this kingdom again!

Ophelia's Heartseeker and Dragonic Hex is enough to make Effie able to hit her target, downing Hinoka before she got a full guad meter. She drops a Speedwing, and Effie gets to 40 strength.

And in case you thought you were done once Hinoka was defeated, she was paired up so you actually have to kill twice before seizing. Conquest, people.

Make peace with your choices, for I am about to send you to your death!

I haven't forgotten about you, rear end in a top hat

gently caress Hex Rods so much. Did you know he has 9 uses on Lunatic??

Tae fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Jun 6, 2017

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Honestly the game fumbles a lot of poo poo, we're pretty close to the endgame so I don't think it's a huge spoiler to mention that Nohr being a lovely barren wasteland that, you know, would give Garon an actual motivation, never comes up in Conquest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
This was my favorite map on the game on normal but the reinforcements are a bit too much on any of the higher difficulties. It's terrifying to try and guard yourself against so many mobile units with different forms of offense, but the dragon veins give you enough of a boost to turn a bad situation around.

• Locked thread