Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ultramega
Jul 9, 2004

Actually it's funny so that's kind of a big distinction

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
I haven't paid attention to Maher in years, so I am just now realizing that Paul Rust's "new no-nos" bit is all about making GBS threads on him.

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever
New No-No! If Bill Maher is going to say the n-word, well guess what? I'm going to NOT say the n-word.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
RL Stephens has a pretty good podcast called stockton to malone if people liked his interview.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m posted:

I listened to this today:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvN464imtMQ

Holy poo poo this guy just lost all connection with reality as soon as he heard Amber chime in. Dude breaks into prayer when confronted with a woman who says she had an abortion.

Also, Matt shouting "Butt sex!"

Edit:

Matt Walther: 'That is.. that is satanic and not funny'
Amber: 'Hail satan'
Will: 'Actually its hilarious'
Matt C: 'It's very funny'

Heard this for the first time and goddamnit I couldn't stop laughing when this rando just brings up punching a baby in the face to compare it to anal lmaooooo

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

Uh, dude looks white AF to me.

You have to remember, the 90s were a different time. Many Americans weren't ready to accept a black man as a bestselling children's book author, so under commercial pressure, the publisher chose to use a photo of a white man in the books' about the author page.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m posted:

I listened to this today:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvN464imtMQ

Holy poo poo this guy just lost all connection with reality as soon as he heard Amber chime in. Dude breaks into prayer when confronted with a woman who says she had an abortion.

Also, Matt shouting "Butt sex!"

Edit:

Matt Walther: 'That is.. that is satanic and not funny'
Amber: 'Hail satan'
Will: 'Actually its hilarious'
Matt C: 'It's very funny'

This was really weird. What was the point of this? Context?

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

They got in a Twitter fight with some tradcaths -- instigated not over politics, but by making fun of some dork who got stuck in an elevator -- and wound up inviting one of them on the show for an argument like the Robby Sauve episode. Then they did the interview and it was so bad they refused to release it as an episode so they just dumped it on YouTube and played a short highlight clip on the regular show set to Yakkety Sax.

Ultramega
Jul 9, 2004

Sebadoh Gigante posted:

You have to remember, the 90s were a different time. Many Americans weren't ready to accept a black man as a bestselling children's book author, so under commercial pressure, the publisher chose to use a photo of a white man in the books' about the author page.

R. L. Stephens was at one time head writer of the hit children's show "Eureka's Castle". The character Batley was based on his son who would routinely gently caress up doing something and exclaim, "I meant to do that!"

snucks
Nov 3, 2008

Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

Sebadoh Gigante posted:

It's embarrassing how many goons read these books but don't know where the term 'ghostwriting' comes from.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

snucks posted:

It's embarrassing how many goons read these books but don't know where the term 'ghostwriting' comes from.

We don't know where it came from. It just showed up one night.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cS_lD9_Ur3g

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

https://twitter.com/cushbomb/status/871461729787670528

does this look really uncomfortable to anyone else or is it just me?

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Rhesus Pieces posted:

Horrible for your neck and spine, but I learned at a young age with my Gameboy.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

Rhesus Pieces posted:

*something something 400 pound hacker sitting in their bed something something*

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Rhesus Pieces posted:

It's canon that they don't have headboards

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
I'm the second laptop

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

marxist-linenist

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Rhesus Pieces posted:

Not Pictured: A floor covered in laundry, both clean and dirty.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Are Mollie Hemingway and her husband swingers or something? I keep getting that impression from listening to the Chapos constantly making reference to that notion.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
I've been laughing for 5 minutes now about how Virgil says "geocities".

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Thaddius the Large posted:

I've been laughing for 5 minutes now about how Virgil says "geocities".

I thought Felix messed that up.

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever
that was felix I thought? but whoever it was, pronouncing geocities like atrocities was perfect

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

GalacticAcid posted:

The critiques of Coates are valid and Coates is good. His ideological pessimism is understandable and probably justified.

Lol if you think anything matters.
The interview reminded me a great deal of a point made many episodes back, in the review of Crash and again in that discussion of that conservative book about poor rural whites--liberals tend to want to see bigotry as this spiritual disease that can only be fought by curing each person afflicted with it, but that's tantamount to admitting defeat.

Which, now that I think about it, reminds me of Orwell's critique of John Galsworthy.

quote:

We all rail against class-distinctions, but very few people seriously want to abolish them. Here you come upon the important fact that every revolutionary opinion draws part of its strength from a secret conviction that nothing can be changed.

If you want a good illustration of this, it is worth studying the novels and plays of John Galsworthy, keeping one eye on their chronology. Galsworthy is a very fine specimen of the thin-skinned, tear-in-the-eye, pre-war humanitarian. He starts out with a morbid pity-complex which extends even to thinking that every married woman is an angel chained to a satyr. He is in a perpetual quiver of indignation over the sufferings of overworked clerks, of under-paid farm hands, of fallen women, of criminals, of prostitutes, of animals. The world, as he sees it in his earlier books...is divided into oppressors and oppressed, with the oppressors sitting on top like some monstrous stone idol which all the dynamite in the world cannot overthrow. But is it so certain that he really wants it overthrown? On the contrary, in his fight against an immovable tyranny he is upheld by the consciousness that it is immovable. When things happen unexpectedly and the world-order which he has known begins to crumble, he feels somewhat differently about it. So, having set out to be the champion of the underdog against tyranny and injustice, he ends by advocating...that the English working class, to cure their economic ills, shall be deported to the colonies like batches of cattle. If he had lived ten years longer he would quite probably have arrived at some genteel version of Fascism. This is the inevitable fate of the sentimentalist. All his opinions change into their opposites at the first brush of reality.

Impermanent posted:

He's saying that essentially most of the legal battles possible against racism have already been won, and that to push forward you would need organization that transforms the framework upon which the legal system rests.
I have a pet theory that trans rights is such a hot button issue not only because of how fundamental gender is to how so many groups of people across the political spectrum see the world, but because transpeople's struggles illustrate the limitations of the civil rights legislation that we already have. It's not enough to re-fight and re-litigate the same battles to get the same protection granted to other groups. It reveals a lot of uncomfortable truths about how little protection workers really have.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

R. Guyovich posted:

marxist-linenist

mattress-leninist

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

lmao
https://twitter.com/evepeyser/status/871743251694460929

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Jonas Albrecht posted:

I thought Felix messed that up.

Probably was, I thought I heard Virgil's reedy voice but was trying to parse what he meant when Amber jumped on it.

Serf
May 5, 2011

it was definitely felix and it definitely has to be a put-on at this point

steakmancer
May 18, 2010

by Lowtax
i dont think this is a good ep, i dont need them to read an article for 55 minutes

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Yeah I went to read the article afterward and every single good like was said in the episode

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

Yeah this really felt like a filler episode, they could've just posted a link to the article on the Chapo twitter account and it would've had the same effect.

Team_q
Jul 30, 2007

And miss out on that great Geocities bit?

smr
Dec 18, 2002

padijun posted:

that was felix I thought? but whoever it was, pronouncing geocities like atrocities was perfect

I'm fuckin' 43 and was working ISP tech support when GeoCities was new and hip and I've always pronounced it like Felix did. I know I'm wrong and people gave me poo poo back in the day about this, too, but Gee-AH-ci-tease just sounds way more right to me, always has.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
how the gently caress does that sound more right than geo cities you know the 2 drat words mashed together not some insanely stupid new word

you FUCKEN clown

Uranium
Sep 11, 2001

Through constant decay
Uranium creates
the radioactive ray.

*extremely music man voice* so "geo" means "earth" and "cities" means "cities"

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

smr posted:

I'm fuckin' 43 and was working ISP tech support when GeoCities was new and hip and I've always pronounced it like Felix did. I know I'm wrong and people gave me poo poo back in the day about this, too, but Gee-AH-ci-tease just sounds way more right to me, always has.

:yikes:

smr
Dec 18, 2002

cat doter posted:

how the gently caress does that sound more right than geo cities you know the 2 drat words mashed together not some insanely stupid new word

you FUCKEN clown

well back in the FUCKEN day nobody ever heard the goddamned stupid word said out loud and dumbshit portmanteaus weren't ALL THE FUCKEN RAGE like they are these days so I saw the loving word, read it as "Gee-AH-ci-tays" and it FUCKEN stuck.

You don't even wanna hear what I do to "ephemeral".

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
trying to think of a hosed up way to pronounce tripod but alas

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

trying to think of a hosed up way to pronounce tripod but alas

trip-odd

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

https://twitter.com/cushbomb/status/871973334652735488