Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

https://twitter.com/Rachel__Nichols/status/871565022752784384

I didn't realize LeBron even drank alcohol. The way he treats his body, I'd assume he doesn't drink.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Rabid Snake posted:

I didn't realize LeBron even drank alcohol. The way he treats his body, I'd assume he doesn't drink.

https://twitter.com/BecksWelker/status/835266361756647424

http://www.nba.com/article/2017/02/25/cleveland-cavaliers-lebron-james-misses-shootaround-questionable-game-against

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Lol at this.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Rabid Snake posted:

One of my all time favorite LeBron moments was when he smoked a cigar at his first Heat Championship parade and a concerned poster thought it might hurt his chances of winning the next season.

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

They ruined basketball

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

BWV posted:

I'm torn.

I think against any other team outside the Raps and the Cavs I'd love to watch the Warriors dominate. I usually prefer to watch excellence own over competition for competition's sake. And undoubtedly, there is something so amazing about watching a team break the sport over its knee, both with their talent and strategy. You don't really see that stuff happen often in your life time and I really think its a type of team people will be like "WTF how did that happen" 20 years from now.

Then again, I'm a Lebron stan and I want him to succeed at all costs. I loving hate that the best player I've ever seen is going to lose again in the finals, and I hate that such a magical finals like last years (the best finals I can remember) is less likely to repeat itself because the second best player in the NBA happens to be colossally bitchmade. I hate that their best conference opponent from the year before ditched his team t, and their best conference opponent from this year got injured in game 1.

Makes me think everything feels worse because last year was so loving good Warriors still on pace to blow a 3-1 lead

I had a big soft spot for the Warriors before this year. Curry has always been an extraordinarily fun player to watch and it was great to see him overcome the injury history to ascend to another level; they play a good brand of basketball that delivers a big ol gently caress you to the worst parts of the Old NBA; they were a testament to good team building and the idea that you didn't have to tank your way into becoming a championship squad.

Once they hit the 73-win mark, it was kind of hard to resist the urge to root for someone to knock them off, but that was more of a desire to see affirmation that nobody is invulnerable (and there was the Light Years Ahead/Valley tech bro stuff that helped tun them into heels). But the basketball itself was always extremely good, and the knowledge that a team playing by the same rules as everyone else was able to piece together this beautiful high-functioning machine was awe-inspiring even if you rooted for it to come apart.

The Durant signing just completely tips the balance in terms of making things marginally suspenseful. Now, there's no real mystery of "can they pull it off?" — when the inevitable happens and they win a series, well, of course they did. They took the best team of all time and added the second best player in the league. The basketball is still very good, but the upgrade in the product on the court doesn't come close to making up for all the narrative downgrades

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The NBA would be more compelling if the East was worth a drat to watch, because as much as they are dominant, The Cavs dominate their conference way more. You can imagine the Jazz/Spurs beating the Warriors, but no one remotely is close to the Cavs in the East.

As it is, you have one team that's expected to win and one team that will win but will not give a gently caress in the regular season because the regular season doesn't matter to them.

The closest team to "beating" the Cavs is if Fultz is the Tim Duncan of rookies and they sign Hayward and then trade all their remaining picks for Butler.

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

the warriors are on year 3 of huge rest minutes for their stars cause they only have to play 2-3 quarters. they dont give a poo poo about the regular season either

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
Wish the cavs had better competition in the east, it would make them a better team

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

The Duggler posted:

They ruined basketball

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
where all y'all gently caress parity posters at now

still enjoying this poo poo

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

I decided I don't care about parity because my team will still be terrible

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I mean that's the problem no one addresses: Parity doesn't prevent stupid gms from continuing to do stupid things.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

xbilkis posted:

I had a big soft spot for the Warriors before this year. Curry has always been an extraordinarily fun player to watch and it was great to see him overcome the injury history to ascend to another level; they play a good brand of basketball that delivers a big ol gently caress you to the worst parts of the Old NBA; they were a testament to good team building and the idea that you didn't have to tank your way into becoming a championship squad.

But Curry was a 7th pick and Klay was 11th? Anyways the Spurs prove your point better than the Warriors do.

Away all Goats fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Jun 5, 2017

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

I don't blame the Dubs for signing KD, and they clearly deserve the rings and they are very fun to watch even if I'm cheering for Lebron, but unless he goes and wins another ring with a different team, we should all make fun of KD for the rest of his career because he jumped from a top 5 team with another top 5 player to The Best Regular Season Team In History Ever and based on how they were playing without him, the dubs probably could have won this ring without him. bitchmade like no one ever before

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

Away all Goats posted:

But Curry was a 7th pick and Klay was 11th? Anyways the Spurs prove your point better than the Warriors do.

That's more a team being normally bad instead of the extreme bottoming out people tend to advocate for now IMO

The NBA is more fun when you can convince yourself a guy who isn't universally hailed as a generational talent might still be the guy who carries your team to a title. Having the best team in the league anchored by the 7th, 11th and 35th pick makes that easier

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010

Lessail posted:

where all y'all gently caress parity posters at now

still enjoying this poo poo

What do you want the NBA to do? Abolish free agency?

Confounding Factor
Jul 4, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Best clip of the series yet, good poo poo LeBron I love it.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

The cavs will still win, they just have to wait until the warriors stop lucking into jumpshots

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Still right here watching one of the best teams of all time if not the best.

I'm cool with it.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

DC Murderverse posted:

I don't blame the Dubs for signing KD, and they clearly deserve the rings and they are very fun to watch even if I'm cheering for Lebron, but unless he goes and wins another ring with a different team, we should all make fun of KD for the rest of his career because he jumped from a top 5 team with another top 5 player to The Best Regular Season Team In History Ever and based on how they were playing without him, the dubs probably could have won this ring without him. bitchmade like no one ever before

He's by far the best player on that team.

Confounding Factor
Jul 4, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Ghost Dog posted:

the warriors are on year 3 of huge rest minutes for their stars cause they only have to play 2-3 quarters. they dont give a poo poo about the regular season either

Jesus that is ridiculous.

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.
Was that a reference about that guy saying Warriors were lucky Cavs shot 36% or whatever?

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

DC Murderverse posted:

I'm sure OKC's offensive sets that consist of 'watch russ pound the rock for the shot clock' was super appealing to KD.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

E2M2 posted:

Was that a reference about that guy saying Warriors were lucky Cavs shot 36% or whatever?

Increasing your sample size by one doesn't change much.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

cavs are gonna win because jump shooting teams dont win championships

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

DC Murderverse posted:

It's pretty staggering the level of bitchmade really.

Related, but I feel there isn't enough discussion about Kevin Durants balding head and its weird rear end shape.

my guys head looks like the back of a camel

accurate model from 2k12:

Is Kevin Durant a Kappa??? Does he store water on the top of that weird rear end dome?? LeBron should bow to him before game3 and see if he bows back.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Panzeh posted:

I'm sure OKC's offensive sets that consist of 'watch russ pound the rock for the shot clock' was super appealing to KD.

People just bring up OKC because they really could have beaten the Warriors last year. It's not like KD was leaving the 2010 Cavs.

I'm sure most NBA fans wouldn't have cared if KD left OKC. But him joining the Warriors completely fucks everything up, playoffs wise.

Like if KD joined the Spurs last summer that team would probably be just as dominant as the Warriors are now, but with less complaining from everyone.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Lockback posted:

I mean, if you are saying would I trust you more or a proffesional scout more, I'd probably say a pro scout, if we're having the "appeal to authority" discussion. But mostly its:

I don't think it'd be insane not to draft him #2, but the guy showed NBA range, has great size, and showed skills, and is 19. While I don't watch college ball I have seen a lot of NBA guys with unothrodox shots work in the NBA, so I think the "he'll shoot as bad as Rubio" is very premature. I think he's getting nitpicked because of the spotlight his dad has caused (which is what happens every year at this time) that's not the only reason I don't think you don't like him, but I do think its a factor. Ball is getting way more attention at 2 than Fultz @ 1 or Josh Jackson (a guy who also has jumpshot problems) @ 3.

I wouldn't call him future Kyle Korver if I wasn't giving him his credit for his three point shot. The problem is that is all he has that's compatible with the NBA is that jumper.

I mean if looking at stats is appealing to authority now then I don't even know what to say. His pick and roll numbers are bad. He has very few drives to the baskets. We have no official measurements on him, but he never demonstrated athleticism outside of the fast breaks, and struggled against athletic players (athletic for college, even, not just future pros). To Libertine: what are these stats that you have that no one else does that say he should be drafted?

The other top prospects are all college freshmen as well, so I don't get why being 19 is an excuse for Ball, and it's much easier for me to tell you the story of how most of them earn minutes once the rookie honeymoon wears off (I do think Ball has a higher floor than De'Aron Fox but I also do not think he should be drafted top 5 either).

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I wouldn't mind the Warriors winning except that the coward Kevin Durant backstabbed Russell Westbrook and now I want Durant to never experience success ever again

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

loving lol that you think this is "shook"

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Paul Zuvella posted:

loving lol that you think this is "shook"

That video made me like LeBron even more.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Dutchy posted:

Nobody seems to say that. It's all about creating more and more convoluted and strange rules that never work. The rules are so complicated now that very few understand them in totality.

WhyteRyce posted:

So does Igoudala win MVP again this Finals?

Through two games it appears KD has the advantage.

code:
Player	 		GmSc
Kevin Durant		67
Stephen Curry		52.2
LeBron James		51.9
Kevin Love		35.2
Kyrie Irving		21.4
Klay Thompson		17.1
Draymond Green		15.2
Andre Iguodala		14.5
Ian Clark		9.5
Iman Shumpert		9.1
Zaza Pachulia		9.1
Dahntay Jones		9
Shaun Livingston	8.8
Tristan Thompson	8.5
JaVale McGee		8.3
Richard Jefferson	8.2
Kyle Korver		7.5
David West		3.8
James Michael McAdoo	2.9
Derrick Williams	2.3
Matt Barnes		2
Channing Frye		0.5
Patrick McCaw		0.5
James Jones	       -0.4
Deron Williams	       -4.3
JR Smith	       -4.8

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016

E2M2 posted:

Is there something confusing about that? Had the Cavs shot closer to their average the first game it would have been way more competitive. It was in response to people posting about GSW defense, which people tend to give way more credit than due in some cases in general.

The Cavs can score against good defenses and at a relatively efficient clip. Their defense really is that bad and GSW offense that good though. I wouldn't attribute GSW success on that end to luck (but if the Cavs won a game where GSW shot 35% I would attribute the Cavs win to 'luck' in the sense that it isn't likely to happen again).

I do attribute a team 10+ percentage points off of their normal shooting percentage to 'luck' or sample size or whatever you want to call it. Really a controversial stance, wonder what posters in this thread will choose to be thin skinned baby bitch retards about next.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

Dutchy posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2uC1SFmyAPo

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Memnaelar posted:

Does anyone outside the Bay Area (and, well, maybe Miami) actually think this is good and fun to watch?

It was okay. It'd be kind of interesting if GSW scored 150+ points in G3 or G4. Maybe go for that playoff record and score 160.

Ghost Dog posted:

They could go 80-2 next year maybe.

Mike Brown was supposed to go 16-0.

:lol:

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

DC Murderverse posted:

[Really dumbass voice] I should just keep playing with Russ, or I guess maybe I should sign with a team that sucks rear end

roundmidnight
Jul 9, 2010
I'll just have to be satisfied knowing that part of KD knows that this title and the ones that will come after it aren't particularly meaningful for him personally and he'll always be associated with them rather than the other way around.

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.

milk milk lemonade posted:

Is there something confusing about that? Had the Cavs shot closer to their average the first game it would have been way more competitive. It was in response to people posting about GSW defense, which people tend to give way more credit than due in some cases in general.

The Cavs can score against good defenses and at a relatively efficient clip. Their defense really is that bad and GSW offense that good though. I wouldn't attribute GSW success on that end to luck (but if the Cavs won a game where GSW shot 35% I would attribute the Cavs win to 'luck' in the sense that it isn't likely to happen again).

I do attribute a team 10+ percentage points off of their normal shooting percentage to 'luck' or sample size or whatever you want to call it. Really a controversial stance, wonder what posters in this thread will choose to be thin skinned baby bitch retards about next.

It's not luck when it's good defense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stump collector
May 28, 2007

AggressivelyStupid posted:

It's pretty staggering the level of bitchmade really.

Related, but I feel there isn't enough discussion about Kevin Durants balding head and its weird rear end shape.

my guys head looks like the back of a camel

accurate model from 2k12:

Is Kevin Durant a Kappa??? Does he store water on the top of that weird rear end dome?? LeBron should bow to him before game3 and see if he bows back.

his skull formed around his headphones

• Locked thread