Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Space Taxi
Oct 31, 2016
The HitB honeymoon skit is going to give half the people in this thread an anurism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Giga Gaia posted:

Glad RLM finally put some of Glistening Hodors fanfiction on the screen.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

Space Taxi posted:

The HitB honeymoon skit is going to give all the people in this thread an erection lasting for 3 or more hours.

LiterallyATomato
Mar 17, 2009

Space Taxi posted:

The HitB honeymoon skit is going to give half the people in this thread an anal fissure.

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.

Vakal posted:

I hope they do either a Space Balls re:view or commentary track one day.

A re:view would be better than commentary. You can't comedy a comedy.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

PostNouveau posted:

Yeah me too so they can let everyone know it doesn't hold up and actually sucks poo poo. People need to know.

It still holds up though. It`s one of those rare parody's that stands on its own even if you have never seen the original source material that it is mocking.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

PostNouveau posted:

Yeah me too so they can let everyone know it doesn't hold up and actually sucks poo poo. People need to know.

Seriously. Who even remembers Star Wars and Alien?

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sen8Tn8CBA4

Vakal
May 11, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5drjr9PmTMA

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Star what?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Spaceballs being a later Mel Brooks flick is so packed with jokes and gags even if over half go thud now it still is pretty entertaining. (Notable exception to this is Men in Tights, but that was bad even on release)

Plus John Candy and Rick Moranis! I watched it a few weeks ago and enjoyed it quite a bit. Probably the 3rd best Alien movie too.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
If you're going to poo poo on Mel Brooks for whatever reason, the easy target is RH: Men in Tights. It's largely based on one very specific film most people now haven't seen or barely remember.

Young Frankenstein and Spaceballs will always work because Star Wars and Frankenstein are just common knowledge. You know those movies without having to see them.

Blazing Saddles, The Producers, and High Anxiety work flawlessly without any knowledge of where they came from, and only get better the more knowledgeable of their origins you are.

And you'd have to literally be the dumbest person living the farthest under a rock to not get History of the World.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up
I stopped wanting to be Batman when I grew up when I was 21 years old. I mean 6.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
They should make a movie version of The Secrets of Isis, that was the best TV show with a female superhero.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Oh this reminds me that Lindsay Ellis did a great video very recently about Mel Brooks and mostly The Producers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62cPPSyoQkE

I was a huge Brooks fan growing up (and still am) and probably saw a few first time at too young an age to get all of what was going in but still loved them. And now they just improve with age imo.

Bonus points for bashing on Life Is Beautiful

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up

priznat posted:

Oh this reminds me that Lindsay Ellis did a great video very recently about Mel Brooks and mostly The Producers:

"Ethics of Satire about Nazis"

What's her stance on ridiculing Nazis?

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

a cartoon, now a role model for grown women everywhere

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
What are they they going to do to be more like Wonder Woman? Occupy Palestine?

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Wonder Woman is portrayed by Gal Gadot who was in the IDF meaning she is someone whose family​ fled the nazis just to become nazis themselves.

Captain America cut through all the horseshit and just killed nazis.

Marvel wins again. Eat a dick, DC.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Uhm, America is the real nazi, actually.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

vermin posted:

"Ethics of Satire about Nazis"

What's her stance on ridiculing Nazis?

Mel does it well, Chaplin did it well, using nazi imagery in non comedies is more fraught as actual nazis may think it's pretty badass (see: american history X)

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Paladinus posted:

Uhm, America is the real nazi, actually.

Kinda makes you think.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Heil Hydra.

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

If you're going to poo poo on Mel Brooks for whatever reason, the easy target is RH: Men in Tights. It's largely based on one very specific film most people now haven't seen or barely remember.

Young Frankenstein and Spaceballs will always work because Star Wars and Frankenstein are just common knowledge. You know those movies without having to see them.

Blazing Saddles, The Producers, and High Anxiety work flawlessly without any knowledge of where they came from, and only get better the more knowledgeable of their origins you are.

And you'd have to literally be the dumbest person living the farthest under a rock to not get History of the World.

Dracula Dead and Loving It is so much worse than Men in Tights.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Irradiation posted:

Yes, but the problem isn't that no one gets it or that it doesn't hold up.

It's bad purely on the power of its own shittiness.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Comedies I used to love but find it harder to love years later:

Mafia
Hot Shots Part Deux
Blues Brothers 2000
Rocketman
National Lampoon Vacation sequels
Ace Ventura, Pet Detective 2
Water Boy

Comedies that still hold up:

Black Dynamite

vermin fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Jun 5, 2017

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

:love::love::love:
Johnny Dangerously? Anyone remember Johnny Dangerously?

Haven't seen it in like 25 years but I'm just gonna go ahead and assume that it doesn't hold up.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

vermin posted:

Comedies I used to love but find it harder to love years later:

National Lampoon Vacation sequels

Surely you don't mean Christmas Vacation and European Vacation.

Those are timeless classics.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Irradiation posted:

The only good part of that movie was Leslie Nielson's chemistry with Peter MacNicol, but it felt less like Mel Brooks comedy and more like an unused Zucker Abrahams Zucker sketch.

I like Spaceballs, but it doesn't hold a candle to Young Frankenstein and Blazing Saddles, which are tied for greatest comedies of all time. Gene Wilder's Frankenstein is his best role ever, even better than Willy Wonka.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Captain America cut through all the horseshit and just killed nazis.

No, Cap killed Hydra-ites or whatever. The Hydra people may have started as Nazis, but in the context of the film, I'm pretty sure they just wanted to conquer the planet. They didn't talk a lot about murdering all the Jews.

Just one way CA:TFA sucked. It was like subbing out the Nazis for the Reds in the fourth Indiana Jones.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Captain America 1 is basically an Indiana Jones movie already, made by 2nd Generation Lucas/Spielberg guy Joe Johnston.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Surely you don't mean Christmas Vacation and European Vacation.

Those are timeless classics.

This is gonna sound stupid but I forgot Christmas Vacation was related to the first one, but yeah I retract that statement

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Captain America 1 is so drat generic I can't remember anything about it other than the one good thing in the movie; captain america spreading propaganda on stage

Actually, I remember the end too. Agent Smith held a little cube in his hands and dissolved or something.

Jesus christ marvel is bad at villains

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
You'd think The Dark Knight showed the world how important a good villain is and how much a good villain can elevate a movie, but no other movie has come close to making a fun interesting villain like that. They almost accidentally got a decent villain with Loki, but then they never did anything fun with him. Even in Avengers he barely does anything

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
I have a cousin who weighs around 350 El bees and he looks 45 but he's in his late 20s and he goes and watches all the marvel movies multiple times in the theater and he recommends them to everyone. Always making sure to add, "don't miss the after the credits scene!"

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
quite shocking that 350 pound folk can go anywhere tbh

does he occupy three seats in the cinema

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
"cousin"

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Trunko posted:

I have a cousin who weighs around 350 El bees and he looks 45 but he's in his late 20s and he goes and watches all the marvel movies multiple times in the theater and he recommends them to everyone. Always making sure to add, "don't miss the after the credits scene!"

Aunt Alicia isn't bringing the potato salad to the reunion so tell your mom she has to make it.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cless Alvein
May 25, 2007
Bloopity Bloo

priznat posted:

(Notable exception to this is Men in Tights, but that was bad even on release)

You go gently caress yourself. I love Men in Tights. I guess it helps that even though I'm only 30, my dad is 77 and I've seen Errol Flynn's Adventures of Robin Hood a few times. Also that I absolutely adore Disney's Robin Hood. That is probably my 2nd fav Disney film. First being Sword in the Stone.

• Locked thread