Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

As a point of reference, Laguna Seca has a dBA limit of 92, and Indycars are something like 110-120.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

gently caress NIMBYS

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Oh and for any F1 fans looking to try going to an indycar race for the first time, get a pit/paddock pass. It's always worth it, especially at venues that host multiple racing series on the same weekend.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I got a paddock pass for RA, and garage access!

Lord Crapulus
Feb 12, 2003

About as successful at Le Mans as Toyota
Road Atlanta is supposedly not suitable for open wheel, although I'm not sure why they decide that something like that doesn't have enough runoff or whatever, but something like Long Beach or Belle Isle is okay. I suppose the cars would be going much faster at Road Atlanta.

iospace posted:

Have you been there before? All the access is pretty awesome and since everywhere is open I still haven't really decided where my favorite spot for actually watching the racing is.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Lord Crapulus posted:

Have you been there before? All the access is pretty awesome and since everywhere is open I still haven't really decided where my favorite spot for actually watching the racing is.

First time going, actually. Doing Saturday and Sunday.

And yeah, I'm looking the Xfinity series being there, 75 bucks for the weekend.

And 75 bucks for Saturday only garage passes while the track is cold :psyduck:

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

92 points in both Fantasy races this weekend. At least I'm consistent? :confused:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

About as consistent as Dixon, who is now in 1st place by 8 points over Helio in the standings without winning a race.

Sato is in 3rd, 3 back from Helio.

Honda has a nice, solid lead too, 664-608.

Oddly enough, Honda: 5 wins, 3 poles. Chevy: 3 wins, 5 poles.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

iospace posted:

I wouldn't put much into Honda's lead right now. Manufacturers get 10 points if an engine hits its mileage life, but loses 20 points for every engine that doesn't. If enough Hondas start grenading later in the season they may not have enough of a lead to make up 30-point swings per engine.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Lord Crapulus posted:

Road Atlanta is supposedly not suitable for open wheel, although I'm not sure why they decide that something like that doesn't have enough runoff or whatever, but something like Long Beach or Belle Isle is okay. I suppose the cars would be going much faster at Road Atlanta.

The last straight into the hard left/hard right has claimed many a car in racing games. I imagine that's the main worry.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

Peanut President posted:

The last straight into the hard left/hard right has claimed many a car in racing games. I imagine that's the main worry.

There's lots of runoff there, though. If I had to guess I'd say the biggest concern would turn 5 at the bottom of the esses. Indycars could probably take the esses flat and even in a slow car if you overcook turn 5 you're going into the wall.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Looking at a satellite view, they have a couple chicanes in the esses, if the one closer to turn five was used, it could keep the cars from carrying too much speed into it. You could also use the alternate turn 12, which is nearly a 90 degree turn, to keep speeds down across the front straight.

It would not be the traditional Road Atlanta, but it may work.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Speaking of Road Atlanta, one of the corner judges at turn 7 was killed by a bike today :(

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

If we're racing Georgia? My vote is for them to bring Hutchinson Island up to code TBH.

Seems like you could sucker someone into investing money into it and making it a year round club circuit.

iospace posted:

About as consistent as Dixon, who is now in 1st place by 8 points over Helio in the standings without winning a race.

Sato is in 3rd, 3 back from Helio.

Oddly enough, Honda: 5 wins, 3 poles. Chevy: 3 wins, 5 poles.

So is this another year where Dixon gets the title? Kinda at a loss as the Penske's don't seem into it right now. (save for helio who's track record for titles is choking them away)

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

FuzzySkinner posted:

So is this another year where Dixon gets the title?

I Dixon wins another title I will start hating him under the premise that he must have surely made a deal with the devil.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

Dixon winning the title without winning a race would be the Scott Dixonest thing ever.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

Bentai posted:

Looking at a satellite view, they have a couple chicanes in the esses, if the one closer to turn five was used, it could keep the cars from carrying too much speed into it. You could also use the alternate turn 12, which is nearly a 90 degree turn, to keep speeds down across the front straight.

It would not be the traditional Road Atlanta, but it may work.

The road Atlanta club circuit chicanes are blasphemy.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

The Road Atlanta chicanes are god drat trash garbage.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Wherever you go, whatever you do, I will be right here waiting for you...

Yams Fan

iospace posted:

99.9% sure those are the same thing.

Road Atlanta would be a cool race, although it's only about 3 hours from Barber and might cannibalize their tickets

Lord Crapulus
Feb 12, 2003

If they have to neuter the track to race there, it's not worth it. I really would like to see them get more road courses (as opposed to having so many street courses) on the schedule, but it seems like there's always too many stumbling blocks. Hopefully the Portland rumors pan out, I guess.

Shibby, you're at RA again this year too? Anyone else going? I'm going to drive up just for Sunday.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

Lord Crapulus posted:

Shibby, you're at RA again this year too? Anyone else going? I'm going to drive up just for Sunday.

Yeah my dad and I will be there Fri-Sun

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

KingShibby posted:

99.9% sure those are the same thing.

I know, I'm just excited about it.

Lord Crapulus posted:

If they have to neuter the track to race there, it's not worth it. I really would like to see them get more road courses (as opposed to having so many street courses) on the schedule, but it seems like there's always too many stumbling blocks. Hopefully the Portland rumors pan out, I guess.

I think you, Shibby, myself, Tupaculypse, maybe a couple others.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Theris posted:

Dixon winning the title without winning a race would be the Scott Dixonest thing ever.

There's like a 95% chance he'll at least win at Mid Ohio though.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

Lord Crapulus posted:

Hopefully the Portland rumors pan out, I guess.

There's Portland rumors? With the Glen back, if they get Portland the only traditional tracks missing that aren't a total pipe dream are Fontana, MIS, Milwaukee* and Cleveland.

*They haven't torn it down yet, right?

Edit: Forgot Loudon

Theris fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Jun 5, 2017

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Theris posted:

There's Portland rumors? With the Glen back, if they get Portland the only tracks missing that aren't a total pipe dream are Fontana, MIS, Milwaukee* and Cleveland.

*They haven't torn it down yet, right?

It's still there, but probably needs repairs at this point. I'm surprised Cat hasn't been approached to try to sponsor a race there or something.

Lord Crapulus
Feb 12, 2003

It pops up a lot in Robin Miller's mailbag, he seems to think it's possible for next year.

iospace posted:

I think you, Shibby, myself, Tupaculypse, maybe a couple others.

Well, if any of you feel like meeting up at some point on Sunday, PM me and we can figure something out.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I liked the races at both Laguna and Portland. Before the chorus of "you can't pass there!" well you can't pass at Mid-Ohio or Sonoma either really.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Two questions:
1. How feasible is the Loudon road course for Indy cars anyway?
2. How long does it take to change configurations for it?

Lord Crapulus
Feb 12, 2003

iospace posted:

Two questions:

Going off of iRacing's version anyway, it is really really not. It's already fairly claustrophobic in much slower cars, and I think where you come back on to the oval wouldn't work unless they redid the large curb there. I'd guess an Indycar could do a 40 second lap.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
The Loudon road course is tiny and would be slow as hell for Indycars.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

So there goes the idea of a double header doing both the road and oval courses. Oh well.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

iospace posted:

Two questions:

The road course there would most likely only work for USF2000 & Pro Mazda. I actually mentioned this exact thing to the PR director for MRTI, she said that if IndyCar were to ever go back there that having the whole ladder there split between the 4 series over the 2 configurations would potentially work.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Do the oval and shift to the roval mid-race

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Have they ever raced on the roval at homestead?

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

KingShibby posted:

The road course there would most likely only work for USF2000 & Pro Mazda. I actually mentioned this exact thing to the PR director for MRTI, she said that if IndyCar were to ever go back there that having the whole ladder there split between the 4 series over the 2 configurations would potentially work.

This is a cool idea. I'd like to see that at other rovals where it would make sense.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

Basticle posted:

Have they ever raced on the roval at homestead?

I don't believe they've ever raced on that roval, but teams do testing there and MRTI has an annual pre-season test there.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

WindyMan posted:

This is a cool idea. I'd like to see that at other rovals where it would make sense.

Texas, maybe? IMO the other tracks it might work at (Phoenix, Loudon if it happens) are short enough that the whole ladder should be running the oval. I guess they could do both, since they normally do multiple races a weekend anyway.

I just think the lower rungs need more ovals. USF2000 only runs Iowa, and Pro Mazda only...*Googles*... Gateway? And not Iowa? Wtf?

At least bring back the Night Before the 500. :bahgawd:

Edit: Pocono and Gateway both have rovals, too.

Theris fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Jun 5, 2017

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

KingShibby posted:

I don't believe they've ever raced on that roval, but teams do testing there and MRTI has an annual pre-season test there.

Yeah I think CART used to do a spring training week of testing at Homestead and tested on both the oval and the road course. That makes me think Homestead could relatively change their configuration from oval to road course.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Looking at Homestead's roval, it's actually... a road course and not something like "lolkansasroval".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

iospace posted:

Looking at Homestead's roval, it's actually... a road course and not something like "lolkansasroval".

I've never actually seen a race at homesteads roval but the Sunset Peninsula track from Forza is a slight rearranging of it so in my head head canon it's a great track.

• Locked thread