Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
panda clue
May 23, 2014

Ciaphas posted:

Have they said anything about a stat/HP squish for the expansion or similar?

Numbers aren't remotely inflated enough for them to have to do this. It took WoW what, 5 expansions before they did this? And their gear/stat jumps between expansions are far more significant than the gear jumps between the 14 expacs. I wouldn't expect this for a long time, if ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Brother Entropy posted:

well on the one hand that's kinda weird but on the other it ain't like anything in leveling or trial roulette is all that difficult

Being thrown into something like Sophia/Sephirot if it's your first time and you haven't read up on mechanics can be a bit of a whiplash, but most of it is manageable. At least they aren't sadistic enough to put EX trials in there.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

panda clue posted:

Numbers aren't remotely inflated enough for them to have to do this. It took WoW what, 5 expansions before they did this? And their gear/stat jumps between expansions are far more significant than the gear jumps between the 14 expacs. I wouldn't expect this for a long time, if ever.
Yeah, top-tier gear from ARR lasted like, halfway through levelling up in HW, while in WoW I remember your gear from the last expansion being obsolete immediately.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

panda clue posted:

The upper limit to where I'd see them doing so is us getting to 6 figure HP, since that'd make us able to survive a bunch of intentional raid wipe mechanics unsynced.

Also they could always just cap it to 99,999 for authentic FF flavor :v:

Radioactive Toy
Sep 14, 2005

Nothing has ever happened here, nothing.
I just finished ARR as a 52 DRG so I figure I'm at the optimal point if I want to start a RDM or SAM so I can go through all of the story content with one as my main. I never play casters but RDM looks pretty fun so I'll probably either do that or try to grind up a MCH. If I was already 60 on a class and done with the story I would probably skip the new classes as the level grind without quests really burns me out.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

EponymousMrYar posted:

The upper limit to where I'd see them doing so is us getting to 6 figure HP, since that'd make us able to survive a bunch of intentional raid wipe mechanics unsynced.

If they wanted to do this they would have done it for ARR, which had a lot of 9999 damage wipes in the early days. Most warriors were surviving them before ARR was even finished.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

panda clue posted:

And WoW only did it because they needed to buy time to go from 32bit. It's well past the point where they said it was too much for players to have in Pandaria now.

FFXIV doesn't need it and stat squishing feels really unsatisfactory anyway. They can probably get away with not having another 100+ ilvl jump in SB but I doubt they will.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Skaw posted:

I meant casual as in if thats all they're going to do, not the amount of time logged in to do it. It's still extremely casual play if you're logging in, queuing, and then doing things alt-tabbed or around the house while waiting, even if that wait is 20+ minutes. But sure, that's what Palace of the Dead is for too. In the context of leveling 50-60 on Red Mage or Samurai, that's still going to be decent experience.

If nin launch is anything to go by it isn't going to be 20+ minute queues it will be 2 hour+ queues.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Failboattootoot posted:

If nin launch is anything to go by it isn't going to be 20+ minute queues it will be 2 hour+ queues.

With me and my friends Red mage it may be quicker for us to do daily roulette via one of us queuing on tank.... then the other

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Failboattootoot posted:

It's not really directly comparable, people are going to be doing leveling roulette on their tanks/healers since they're going to be leveling too, just from 60-70. NIN was added at a time where everyone was already level cap and fewer people cared about doing that content.

It still isn't going to be pretty, but I'd be very, very surprised if queues were more than 40-60 minutes on average for DPS.

Injuryprone
Sep 26, 2007

Speak up, there's something in my ear.

I played this game for a few months 2 years ago and made it to lvl 32. Is that at least halfway through the 120 MSQ missions you all are talking about?

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Injuryprone posted:

I played this game for a few months 2 years ago and made it to lvl 32. Is that at least halfway through the 120 MSQ missions you all are talking about?

That's a bit past halfway to the end of the ARR main story, and then you have the 100 quests to get to heavensward, and then there's a whole bunch more.

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

Injuryprone posted:

There's a full expansion's worth of quests between A Realm Reborn (the original MSQ) and Heavensward. You're not even close because you have to beat ARR first i.e. be level 50 to even get there.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Injuryprone posted:

Lol you haven't even started the 120 MSQ missions yet, they begin at 50

Injuryprone
Sep 26, 2007

Speak up, there's something in my ear.

Jesus. I assume they're tied to dungeons so I won't be able to solo them all, yeah?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Injuryprone posted:

Jesus. I assume they're tied to dungeons so I won't be able to solo them all, yeah?

https://ffxiv.consolegameswiki.com/wiki/Main_Scenario_Quests

180 quests to get from 1 to 50. (You're halfway through this stage)

100 quests postgame ARR.

94 quests to get from 50 to 60.

44 quests postgame Heavensward.

Stormblood begins after that.

They do include dungeons but you can just do duty finder and it'll toss you in with people. People who queue duty finder at higher levels still get sent to lower level dungeons and their level is temporarily lowered.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
There are two kind of torturous stretches, the Titan quests (~30ish) and 2.1 through 2.3ish (at 50), everything else is anywhere from good to great, so the story requirement is not as terrible as it first seems.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

EponymousMrYar posted:

Tanks are getting there, to be fair. I think I had what, 20-22k HP in full augmented IW, and I have 44-45k in full Shire. :v:

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
It's an even bigger jump than that. Think PLDs/DRKs are in the upper 9000s at 50 with full IW/Dreadwyrm, with WARs at +25% that. Pretty sure 20k unbuffed wasn't until 60/Asuran for WARs.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Zereth posted:

Yeah, top-tier gear from ARR lasted like, halfway through levelling up in HW, while in WoW I remember your gear from the last expansion being obsolete immediately.

I remember using Cryptstalker all the way to the level cap in TBC just because of the set bonus, but yeah.

In other news I can tell "perfecting" my red mage skills is going to take some doing. At least it suggests that doing a normal rotation with RDM shouldn't lead to running out of MP with regular use of Lucid Dreaming (unless you die), assuming the numbers are correct and stay that way (big if, granted).

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

full augmented IW would give you something like 13k iirc, but back then all of the tanks used str right side anyway so who knows what they would have had if they were using full vit accessories.

20k for warriors was I think like the 160 gear from neverreap and fractal.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Magil Zeal posted:

In other news I can tell "perfecting" my red mage skills is going to take some doing. At least it suggests that doing a normal rotation with RDM shouldn't lead to running out of MP with regular use of Lucid Dreaming (unless you die), assuming the numbers are correct and stay that way (big if, granted).

This isn't a very good way of testing or even seeing how good you will be with Red Mage.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Josuke Higashikata posted:

This isn't a very good way of testing or even seeing how good you will be with Red Mage.

I disagree, getting comfortable with how the skills work seems like a good idea.

Obviously it's not anywhere close to being competent with it in actual fights, but it seems roughly as good as testing on a dummy.

Edit: Perhaps saying "I disagree" is too strong, I agree that isn't going to make you "good" at red mage, it's just a starting point. I do consider it useful for "testing".

Magil Zeal fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Jun 5, 2017

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Magil Zeal posted:

I remember using Cryptstalker all the way to the level cap in TBC just because of the set bonus, but yeah.
Okay barring set bonuses or trinket effects, yeah, but you'd zone into Hellfire Penninsula and it'd just start spewing poo poo of higher ilvl than you could possibly get before. IIRC the item budget also changed so it was substantially more powerful, especially in HP. I think it wasn't as dramatic in Lich King or Pandaria but still happened.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Off-topic but -

Zereth posted:

Okay barring set bonuses or trinket effects, yeah, but you'd zone into Hellfire Penninsula and it'd just start spewing poo poo of higher ilvl than you could possibly get before. IIRC the item budget also changed so it was substantially more powerful, especially in HP. I think it wasn't as dramatic in Lich King or Pandaria but still happened.

Nah, outside of exceptional cases, if you came into TBC with Tier 3 (ilvl 92), it wasn't until Nagrand quests or Zangarmarsh dungeons (both ilvl 94) that vanilla gear started getting phased out en masse. Hellfire blues weren't far off, but most were inferior even outside of set bonuses. TBC was, however, instant upgrades for alts or folks who didn't raid past Nefarian (which was most players).

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Fister Roboto posted:

If they wanted to do this they would have done it for ARR, which had a lot of 9999 damage wipes in the early days. Most warriors were surviving them before ARR was even finished.

It's weird because there are some 'wipes' that are already easily survivable (T5 enrage), some that are survivable by tanks (landing meteors too close to each other in T9), and some that will just gently caress you even at 70 (T9 turbo golem which does something like 100k damage with its stomp, plus it regenerates health super fast).

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

isk posted:

It's an even bigger jump than that. Think PLDs/DRKs are in the upper 9000s at 50 with full IW/Dreadwyrm, with WARs at +25% that. Pretty sure 20k unbuffed wasn't until 60/Asuran for WARs.

It's been a while since I was synced down to 50 so you may well be right.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

isk posted:

Off-topic but -

Nah, outside of exceptional cases, if you came into TBC with Tier 3 (ilvl 92), it wasn't until Nagrand quests or Zangarmarsh dungeons (both ilvl 94) that vanilla gear started getting phased out en masse. Hellfire blues weren't far off, but most were inferior even outside of set bonuses. TBC was, however, instant upgrades for alts or folks who didn't raid past Nefarian (which was most players).

And TBC->LK, I recall, had it even better; I didn't get rid of my last piece of Black Temple gear until 78.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
You guys are almost making me nostalgic to play WoW again.

Almost. I don't think I could juggle two MMOs.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Legion launch was fun, but since then the patches have been inconsistent in quality (if more substantial in scope than WoD's). Endgame's mostly about grinding Mythic+ dungeons for gear, world quests/invasions for the occasional legendary, and zerg rushing invasion buildings when they're up. Doesn't help that the dev team keeps going back on promises/previous expectations (which makes sense in light of their high level departures/transfers since Legion launch). WoW's in the best place it's been since, like, Wrath, but I can't recommend it two weeks out from Stormblood.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Modern WoW is basically turning into Diablo both for better and worse.

I'm nostalgic for classic WoW in the same way I'm nostalgic for classic Everquest and classic Final Fantasy XI, but all of those games were so massively time consuming and in many ways very sloooooow.

FFXIV is a pretty great mix of modern graphics (way better than WoW) some pretty good modern features and still a pretty big open MMO feeling.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

isk posted:

Legion launch was fun, but since then the patches have been inconsistent in quality (if more substantial in scope than WoD's). Endgame's mostly about grinding Mythic+ dungeons for gear, world quests/invasions for the occasional legendary, and zerg rushing invasion buildings when they're up. Doesn't help that the dev team keeps going back on promises/previous expectations (which makes sense in light of their high level departures/transfers since Legion launch). WoW's in the best place it's been since, like, Wrath, but I can't recommend it two weeks out from Stormblood.

if you're a person with a horrible system of choices like me you just start playing both

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

Zaphod42 posted:

FFXIV is a pretty great mix of modern graphics (way better than WoW) some pretty good modern features and still a pretty big open MMO feeling.
I wouldn't call FFXIV open MMO, but I must agree with the rest. Also, HW zones feel much more open than those tiny ARR zones.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I'm a newbie at this game and leveling MRD. Feels like aggro is pretty hard to hold at low levels. Is comboing to Skull Sunder the right way to gain enmity single target or should I just span Skull Sunder?

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Oh, honey. Heavy Swing -> Skull Sunder, all the way. The only combo skill you should be using uncomboed is Heavy Swing, and that's because it starts everything.

If you need snap aggro, packs or singly, don't be afraid to throw out an extra Overpower. That's what it's there for.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

So I'm guessing that there's no taunt in this game then?

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Short answer: There is a taunt. It's called Provoke, and is obtained by levelling GLD to 22, then cross-classing it to MRD.

Long answer: That's only true until the 16th of June, when the new expansion's headstart begins. On that date, Provoke will be relegated to a shared pool of powers by role. I don't remember if they have said how these powers will be doled out to you, whether gated by level or some other criteria, but on that date, all tanks will have their choice between Provoke, a single-target taunt that sets your aggro to (max aggro +1), or Ultimatum, an AoE taunt that does the same.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Jun 5, 2017

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe
There is a taunt but you need to level gladiator for it, until 2 weeks from now when it becomes a skill automatically given to all tanks at a certain level with stormblood

Yeah you gain aggro through using the 2 moves in a combo so 1212, just using the second move in the combo over and over like 2222 won't do anything.

E;fb!

On a side not I'm loving the gently caress out of that red mage simulator and I wish there was one of those for every job. It's a really fun little puzzle game to keep it going as long as possible without running out of Mana.

Yeah, it's nowhere near as fun as doing the cool moves in game, but not having to wait for cooldowns to reset when you know you screwed up and just wanna start over is a godsend, so I can just slam attempts and get parts down.

Getting used to verstone and verfire having 2 second casts and therefore not requiring a dualcast made it really interesting hopping back and forth between them and aero/thunder. The wham bam thank you ma'am (explosion!!!) of the melee combo is awesome too.

It's gonna be rough to remember to use the correct finisher though, I keep trying to use holy when I have more white Mana and flare when I have more black.

Jinh fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Jun 5, 2017

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Everybody in dungeons also wants to attack the target I'm not focusing on. I swear it's like I'm playing Vanilla WoW again in some respects. But I'm actually having fun because in WoW it was just "hit Thunderclap and go to sleep".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Vargatron posted:

I'm a newbie at this game and leveling MRD. Feels like aggro is pretty hard to hold at low levels. Is comboing to Skull Sunder the right way to gain enmity single target or should I just span Skull Sunder?

The short answer is that fresh low level tanks, at least until Stormblood (and probably still in stormblood tbh) have serious aggro problems. If you were in full high-quality gear you might be ok, but even then probably not. You probably shouldn't worry too much about it until you've got your job stone. If you've got your job stone and still lose aggro consistently in dungeons you get sync'd down into, then you've got a problem.

• Locked thread