Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011

Captain Oblivious posted:

CURSE THOSE IVORY TOWER LIBERAL ACADEMICS

lol actually it's fine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Unless you're overtly writing about gender pronoun guides are dumb and people need to knock that poo poo off. Just write your loving characters and people will catch the nuances over time. *shakes cane at cloud*

Actually this ties into another pet peeve of mine where a character will be trans/gay/whatever but no one will ever mention it and it won't inform the story in any meaningful way. I get that the author probably wants to lead by example and show a society where people get along but even in a perfectly #woke society people will notice and talk about that poo poo (because these traits are unusual and people are gossipy little assholes).

Softies is actually a pretty good example of what I'm talking about. Every time I read it I ask myself why the writer decided to make Kay a girl since she's visually and functionally a boy in every way and her lack of conforming to gender norms is never once brought up. That's not to say I'm against the author wanting to tell a story about a tomboy in space but I feel like if you're going to introduce an interesting character trait like that you should actually DO something with it. Did Kay get poo poo on for being different on earth? Does she feel more free to be herself now that she's in space? Is that why she's taking the potential deaths of billions of people (including her family) so well? We'll never know because the author doesn't actually have anything to say about any of these topics and it's really frustrating.

Edit: Seriously though, why is she so OK with the fact that everyone she ever knew is dead?

readingatwork fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Jun 5, 2017

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I didn't think it would be Esther, but even less was I expecting this.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Oh poo poo I'd never have got that.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

YggiDee posted:

I can't read hover-text on my phone so putting important info there drives me up the wall.
I'm using chrome on android and usually holding my thumb on the image for a second or two brings up the title text for me.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
why is this character queer they seem like a perfectly normal person so why cant they just be normal instead

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
if you're going to complain about queerness not being the defining force that shapes a character's personality and/or the events in their life you could at least call it unrealistic wish fulfillment, thats at least a technically accurate argument

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
though to be entirely fair the last bad post in this thread is more "why does she have to be a girl why can't she just be normal" which is a completely different can of worms

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

Bell_ posted:

It's going to be Mother Shipton.

Or Natalie.

Or... was it Margo Plods?
I was still hoping it would be the witch, but it's not like we'll see that resolved ever.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Bongo Bill posted:

I didn't think it would be Esther, but even less was I expecting this.

Who's Natalie, again?

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

readingatwork posted:

Unless you're overtly writing about gender pronoun guides are dumb and people need to knock that poo poo off. Just write your loving characters and people will catch the nuances over time. *shakes cane at cloud*

Actually this ties into another pet peeve of mine where a character will be trans/gay/whatever but no one will ever mention it and it won't inform the story in any meaningful way. I get that the author probably wants to lead by example and show a society where people get along but even in a perfectly #woke society people will notice and talk about that poo poo (because these traits are unusual and people are gossipy little assholes).

Tumblrites have nothing interesting to say about queerness, or any other topic.

feetnotes
Jan 29, 2008

The Lord of Hats posted:

Who's Natalie, again?

Ryan's French ex-love interest, ex- because she was...burned to death? By, I think the same busybody old ladies that run a competing antique store to Amy's in bad machinery but i'm not 100% on that

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

feetnotes posted:

Ryan's French ex-love interest, ex- because she was...burned to death? By, I think the same busybody old ladies that run a competing antique store to Amy's in bad machinery but i'm not 100% on that

Is there any more reliably evil character archetype in Tackleford than gossipy old women?

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

feetnotes posted:

If I recall, she burned to death, showed up in the afterlife, and got a job as grim reaper?

edit: http://scarygoround.com/sgr/ar.php?date=20060508

Later it was revealed that her skeleton face was a thing she could turn on and off, but that's all I recall.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
I'm so tired of every trendy tumblr artist blatantly jacking Steven Universe's artstyle. It's gotten to the point where I've actually seen a few artists rip off character designs wholesale from the show. I know every popular thing has its imitators but the sheer amount of SU clones is unreal

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Bobulus posted:

If I recall, she burned to death, showed up in the afterlife, and got a job as grim reaper?

edit: http://scarygoround.com/sgr/ar.php?date=20060508

Later it was revealed that her skeleton face was a thing she could turn on and off, but that's all I recall.

Lol, I'm reading this now. Ryan's never going to pull in the underworld if he insists on sticking to his standard that his girls have to be living and un-putrefying.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl

Tollymain posted:

why is this character queer they seem like a perfectly normal person so why cant they just be normal instead

Because ugghhhhh why do you have to remind me that gender is complicated and sometimes unintuitive. Why do I have to read like two extra words.

readingatwork posted:

Yeah, cast page pronoun guides are a janky solution, and you should ideally be able to glean that information straight from the text. But webcomics are a slow serial medium and sometimes the text isn't all there in the present moment. And text cues that are obvious to one group of readers will go over the heads of other groups. Also some people are just bad at reading between the lines, and some people are good at making GBS threads up comments sections with arguments. These two groups tend to overlap. An immediate authoritative answer is sometimes useful. That authoritative answer also takes like a handful of extra words at best.

I don't read or care about Never Satisfied.

Wrist Watch posted:

Why does it matter that the character is gay in this instance

Like, it's not bad enough that people are mad or out for blood over this teenage character, but because she's gay too that makes it worse I guess? I don't read the comic and probably never will because I really don't like the art style but that just feels like a cheap guilt trip

Like, on a total blind guess? I don't think that had anything to do with guilting a straight reader.

So there's been this thing going around on like tumblr and twitter and everywhere, where self-righteous teenagers are loving crucifying other marginalized folks for the smallest problematic missteps, in ways they don't direct at like cishet white dudes. The recent fuckspree over The Adventure Zone comics is a good example. Queer woman does something unpopular. Cue calls for boycotts and rumormongering and demands for her career and/or head on a platter. There were also similar fuckpiles directed at people working on Steven Universe, like Lauren Zuke.

So like, suddenly a bunch of your readers get crazy bloodthirsty at your queer character, because said character did something said readers don't like. Maybe you point that out and try to throw water on that. Y'know, before you do something they don't like, and they get thirsty for your blood.

Again, just a guess. I don't read the comic.

gutterdaughter fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Jun 5, 2017

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Gutter Owl posted:

Like, on a total blind guess? I don't think that had anything to do with guilting a straight reader.

So there's been this thing going around on like tumblr and twitter and everywhere, where self-righteous teenagers are loving crucifying other marginalized folks for the smallest problematic missteps, in ways they don't direct at like cishet white dudes. The recent fuckspree over The Adventure Zone comics is a good example. Queer woman does something unpopular. Cue calls for boycotts and rumormongering and demands for her career and/or head on a platter. There were also similar fuckpiles directed at people working on Steven Universe, like Lauren Zuke.

So like, suddenly a bunch of your readers get crazy bloodthirsty at your queer character, because said character did something said readers don't like. Maybe you point that out and try to throw water on that. Y'know, before you do something they don't like, and they get thirsty for your blood.

Again, just a guess. I don't read the comic.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say this is less due to internalized homophobia and mroe due to teenagers having the finely honed bullying senses to figure out that the straight white dude doesn't read their blog or care that they think he's 'problematic', but other social justice tumblr teenagers and comic book people who base their business on social justice tumblr teenagers will, a lot.

the fictional character also doesn't read their blog or care, so it's a little funny to start making defensive posts about them getting cyberbullied in the exact same tone you would an actual kid with a real sexuality and ego and a psyche that exists outside the readers' heads. maybe the author's just freaked out because they've never seen an internet comments section act like a bunch of unhinged lunatics before but it makes them sound a lot like the other tumblr cartoon community folks who talk about their headmate tulpa Harvey the Rabbit who they made real through the power of loneliness.

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Jun 5, 2017

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
Cis straight male creators have been catching hell for this kind of stuff for the better part of a decade. Its hilarious how many people in the progressive community have been in denial about the pervasiveness of this sort of harassment for so long that when it starts happening to them their first response is to pretend it's never happened before.

Jeff Jack stab he own hand

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
in a shocking turn of events, the internet continues to make people stupid

Spaseman
Aug 26, 2007

I'm a Securitron
RobCo security model 2060-B.
If you ever see any of my brothers tell them Victor says howdy.
Fallen Rib
Well Octopus Pie just ended. I had no idea its been updating for ten years but there it is.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
Marginalized groups are exactly as capable of being shitheads as a cishet white male is, they just get less opportunity to show it off on a large scale because there's less of them.

humanity is lovely and we really should just destroy our own species for the greater good, basically

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
I don't see a problem with a pronoun guide in a cast page. I wouldn't get bothered by people messing up a fictional character's pronouns unless someone's doing it deliberately though. Webcomic readers as a whole have a crushing density that rivals the core of a dying star.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Nuns with Guns posted:

I don't see a problem with a pronoun guide in a cast page.

In a medium that suffers terribly when authors don't try to say as much as they can in as few words as they can, it's a page of "I needed to fill space"

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Nuns with Guns posted:

I don't see a problem with a pronoun guide in a cast page. I wouldn't get bothered by people messing up a fictional character's pronouns unless someone's doing it deliberately though. Webcomic readers as a whole have a crushing density that rivals the core of a dying star.

The problem is this thing apparently doesn't actually indicate pronouns within the comic itself. You shouldn't need to read supplementary materials to know what pronoun to refer to a character by. Show, don't tell.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

In my humble opinion, the cast page is one of those things you only look at if you want to know more about the characters. So including extra info there that readers might be interested in seems useful. Now, making that the primary info on the cast page seems a bit strange, but, for example, if was included along with a bunch of other incidental facts (age / birthday / etc)? Not a big deal.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Bobulus posted:

In my humble opinion, the cast page is one of those things you only look at if you want to know more about the characters. So including extra info there that readers might be interested in seems useful. Now, making that the primary info on the cast page seems a bit strange, but, for example, if was included along with a bunch of other incidental facts (age / birthday / etc)? Not a big deal.

I think the original idea of them was kinda the same as the dramatis personae in a play, especially since a lot of early webcomics were uh not well conveyed and people could do with a quick reference to flip back to on who the hell the bird-haired cyber assassin who shares a weird amount of incidental traits with the author is. A lot of the time it's the same kind of jerking off that produces elaborate maps of nowhere the characters will ever visit and detailed loadouts of what brand of lasers are on the steampunk zeppelin though

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
the best cast pages are those that haven't been updated in 15 years

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Octopus Pie just ended :unsmith:

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

A lot of the time it's the same kind of jerking off that produces elaborate maps of nowhere the characters will ever visit and detailed loadouts of what brand of lasers are on the steampunk zeppelin though

I have never seen a cast page with anywhere near that much detail.

Anyway, having a character's pronouns is not a bad use of a cast page. If you have characters who have known each other for years, and they're just talking to each other at first, it might not come up naturally for a while.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

HorseRenoir posted:

I'm so tired of every trendy tumblr artist blatantly jacking Steven Universe's artstyle. It's gotten to the point where I've actually seen a few artists rip off character designs wholesale from the show. I know every popular thing has its imitators but the sheer amount of SU clones is unreal

They should be more like me and rip off SU storyboard artist Paul Villeco's artstyle

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Where is the comic about tedious drama teens that apes Goya's artstyle

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Jun 5, 2017

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

I improved it!

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

Where is the comic about tedious drama teens that apes Goya's artstyle

Not gonna lie, Saturn Devours His Teenagers is a pretty sweet name for a hipster webcomic...

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.

You really didn't though.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Just Offscreen posted:

You really didn't though.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
Octopus Pie is one of my favorite webcomics of all time and it feels very bittersweet that I just read the last one. I realized that it was gonna be the end when the format of the front page was different. I started reading it in 2010 and I liked just how realistic the characters and their issues felt, even when the comic would get into the surreal. I was sad that Hanna and Marigold never made up but we don't always get a clean resolution like that in real life and Gran conveyed that really well. At this point I'm in my mid 20s and it's been a rough go figuring out what I'm supposed to do and this last arc, particularly this final update, spoke to me.

It felt like there would be some long periods without any updates but it always felt worth it to me whenever they finally happened. I'm glad that I got to read Octopus Pie in real time for as long as I did and I'll miss it a lot

Dangerous Person fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Jun 6, 2017

Ironic Twist
Aug 3, 2008

I'm bokeh, you're bokeh
gj on a great ten years Meredith Gran, now please don't insistently go back to the same universe like John Allison

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morbi
Aug 7, 2013

CONTRABAND
Pronoun listings on cast pages are an extremely dumb thing to get mad about

• Locked thread