Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Norns posted:

What type of disposal unit did you get your engine from?

My engine cost less than the price of rebuilding one which says alot.

Also the face on the guy who's poo poo I borrowed to do the alignment suggests that my previous set up was less than optimal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Stop buying cheep booze and fix your poo poo lmao

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

gently caress. Yes.

I'd race the poo poo out of that, mower blade still attached so I could run over my opposition. :orks101: as gently caress.

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008
I would love to drive your garbage, 1500

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

:perfect:

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

OhsH posted:

I would love to drive your garbage, 1500

Brake caliper bracket lmbo:

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Dubs posted:

driven
torque
I forgot about Driven. Throw that one on the list way below Days of Thunder. Torque wasn't a racing movie though.
Also for anyone who hasn't seen it, Days of Thunder has a righteous and honorable American (Tom Cruise) ramming a devious and underhanded Brit (Cary Elwes) into a wall

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
The only realistic part of Driven was where at a CART race debris flew into a crowd, killing people.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Feels Villeneuve posted:

The only realistic part of Driven was where at a CART race debris flew into a crowd, killing people.

Also the part where a paraplegic team boss convinces an over the hill driver to come out of retirement to race for his team and to mentor his rookie teammate.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Remember that bit in Days of Thunder where it explains that in NASCAR when there is an accident rather than slow and perhaps try to minimize the injury to your fellow racers, you should change gears 4 times and just loving floor it into the rising smoke cloud and either come out the other side a hero or Zanardi every poor oval office in there

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Remember the part when Gugelmin (I think) lands in the Harbor at Belle Isle?

Although, personally I don't think CART's safety record was too bad all things considered. Well aside from 1999 of course.

Human Grand Prix fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Jun 5, 2017

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Tony Montana posted:

Remember that bit in Days of Thunder where it explains that in NASCAR when there is an accident rather than slow and perhaps try to minimize the injury to your fellow racers, you should change gears 4 times and just loving floor it into the rising smoke cloud and either come out the other side a hero or Zanardi every poor oval office in there

I love to take huge shits.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

nice to know their F1 engine budget went to a good place.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Human Grand Prix posted:

Remember the part when Gugelmin (I think) lands in the Harbor at Belle Isle?

Although, personally I don't think CART's safety record was too bad all things considered. Well aside from 1999 of course.

There actually were (are) rescue boats there in the unlikely case of that happening.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Honda's racing engines may be a joke but lay off the small power equipment. I worked in a factory for gas-powered water pumps, bench testing 40-50 units a day for three years and so help me god, every single GX-series engine I ever laid hands on started on the first pull.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Has anyone pointed out that Honda are the largest kart and karting engine manufacturers in the world yet?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

learnincurve posted:

Has anyone pointed out that Honda are the largest kart and karting engine manufacturers in the world yet?

That explains why they thought they could just bolt 6 1 cylinder engines together and be competitive.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

learnincurve posted:

I was about to, their experience and market share is at total odds with their F1 programme.

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

was Driven the one where sylvester stallone and some guy had an open wheeled car chase in the middle of new york or

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Yeah and Til Schweiger was the evil german.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJRDOWOhoHA

Man, nobody does a car chase like Hollywood. Was the manhole cover a tip of the hat to Monaco?

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Tony Montana posted:

https://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2017/05/pirelli-boss-hits-back-at-toto-wolffs-italian-mystery-line-after-monaco-f1-defeat/

The president of F1’s tyre supplier Pirelli has responded to Mercedes’ boss Toto Wolff’s line that the reason why Ferrari is able to master the tyres and Mercedes cannot is an “Italian mystery”.

Oh piss off Toto. We can put Michelins on them and then Renault is cheating. Or Bridgestones and then it's Honda. How about we put German tires on them? A quick look and the last time someone wore Continentals to a F1 race was in the 50s. Don't start getting all snippy now you're not winning Toto, RBR did that and boy were they lambasted for it.

Surely I'm not the only one who remembers the Merc as being the Trulli Of Cars? Fast qualifying, then tyres degraded faster than everyone else.

Then they had that extended tyre test for Pirelli after one of the races and became almost unbeatable for the next few years. And Ferrari called bullshit but it turned out Ferrari had been offered and said 'gently caress you, we aren't helping you with your tyre experiment on our own dime'

E: this one
http://m.bbc.com/sport/formula1/22999260

simplefish fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Jun 5, 2017

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Pirelli said to Ferrari, do you want testing time with the new tire? Not all the teams are getting this. Ferrari said gently caress off, Merc said omg lol sure sure!

This really happened? lol why do make it so hard to love you Ferrari

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Tony Montana posted:

Pirelli said to Ferrari, do you want testing time with the new tire? Not all the teams are getting this. Ferrari said gently caress off, Merc said omg lol sure sure!

This really happened? lol why do make it so hard to love you Ferrari

Stubbornness, cheapness, shortsightedness and a little bit of nationalism.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Tony Montana posted:

Man, nobody does a car chase like Hollywood. Was the manhole cover a tip of the hat to Monaco?

There was also a film called Thunderbolt starring Jackie Chan which was hilariously loving terrible.

Don't watch it, just read the Wikipedia entry to get a feel for how batshit the plot is.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I rather suspect it was the cheating with the using oil as fuel thing rather than one tyre test.

I wonder what happened with Toto and Paddy? It seems odd that he goes to Williams, suddenly there is an explanation as to why the Mercades works team were so much quicker than customer teams with identical engines, and Williams goes completely to poo poo in 2017.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Theophany posted:

There was also a film called Thunderbolt starring Jackie Chan which was hilariously loving terrible.

Don't watch it, just read the Wikipedia entry to get a feel for how batshit the plot is.

And now I've been reminded that the cannonball run exists, also that the cannonball run II was the rat pack's last movie.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Not a movie but a documentary worth seeing: Hitting the apex.

aequalis
Aug 11, 2010

Fernando is smugger than you. Can you confirm you understand that message?

Tony Montana posted:

I used to love this movie as a kid, now as an older man I have so many questions.
1. Who started the engines for them?
2. How did they manage to fasten their 5-point harnesses by themselves?
3. How did Stallone's pointy crocodile shoes fit inside that foot well?
4. How many glowing metal sparks can Stallone possibly drive through without going blind?
I'm having an aneurysm here JFC

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
how can you see poo poo at night going 200mph without a helmet?

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Theophany posted:

I saw that movie late night on the TV years ago

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Theophany posted:

That was a fantastic film and I still love it even today

Definitely worth a watch. If you like seeing 90s GT cars and Jackie Chan fight scenes, go find it. If you want a deep story, look elsewhere.

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

I remember watching the special effects feature for Driven, and the Max Papis crash they filmed where the car launches up and over another car and gets airborn wasn't cgi.... and they miscalculated it, and the car went much further than they expected.

Also, Driven was the best because it has a cameo from Montoya in it!

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I've always loved the Le Mans movie. It may be lacking in plot but as a visual thing it's mindblowing.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Thanks guys, now I have to waste two hours of my life rewatching Driven instead of unpacking my apartment.

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
Disregard Stroll outside zone.
Red Bull bitched about tyres until they were gifted a championship. Everyone else gets a pass until the end of existence

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

wicka posted:

Thanks guys, now I have to waste two hours of my life rewatching Driven instead of unpacking my apartment.

I watched from that stupid city chase onwards. I used to love driven. Still do, it's so terrible!

I am now watching the indycar race that was on today, it's lacking jimmy Blyth!

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Dubs posted:

Red Bull bitched about tyres until they were gifted a championship. Everyone else gets a pass until the end of existence

I think Fernando should be gifted a championship

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

GramCracker posted:

I think Fernando should be gifted a championship

But he's already MWDC :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Roberto Moreno should be gifted a lifetime achievement award.

• Locked thread