Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nerses IV
May 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

I think about this every time I get on a swing stage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
There's worse videos out there. There's one from Kazakhstan where there's four window cleaners who aren't even in a bucket, they're just in harnesses hanging from ropes with the winds whipping them wayyyyy way out and them slamming them into the side of the building. Apparently all four died.

schmug
May 20, 2007

Not sure if this was actually explained in the last few pages, so here is a real easy explanation on fire. It takes three thing to make: Fuel, heat, AND oxygen. Oxygen is neither a fuel, nor a heat source.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

schwaa posted:

Not sure if this was actually explained in the last few pages, so here is a real easy explanation on fire. It takes three thing to make: Fuel, heat, AND oxygen. Oxygen is neither a fuel, nor a heat source.

What if it's very hot oxygen?

schmug
May 20, 2007

Jerry Cotton posted:

What if it's very hot oxygen?

Are you the fuel? Then yes. Boom.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

schwaa posted:

Are you the fuel? Then yes. Boom.

I am the fuel.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Oh sorry fool.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

"A high-rise residential building leans against another building after toppling over in a central neighborhood of Alexandria, Egypt, June 1."

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Jerry Cotton posted:

Oh sorry fool.

Jer fools can't melt steel beams

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

schwaa posted:

It takes three thing to make: Fuel, heat, AND oxygen. Oxygen is neither a fuel, nor a heat source.
Technically you need an oxidizer, which is not necessarily oxygen. Flourine, Chlorine, etc will quite happily provide that part of the equation as well, and are generally less picky about fuel.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

schwaa posted:

Four things:
Fuel
Heat
Oxygen
Chemical reaction

Halon stops fires by messing with the chemical reaction instead of blocking oxygen or removing heat.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.

Collateral Damage posted:

Technically you need an oxidizer, which is not necessarily oxygen. Flourine, Chlorine, etc will quite happily provide that part of the equation as well, and are generally less picky about fuel.

That reminds me of the wonderful substance Chlorine Trifluoride. A Fluorinating agent that's a better oxidizer than Oxygen. :v: "It can burn stuff sane people might think of as non-flammable, like bricks, or asbestos... or thing that have already been burned." - Hank Green.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Three-Phase posted:

Four things:
Fuel
Heat
Oxygen
Chemical reaction

Halon stops fires by messing with the chemical reaction instead of blocking oxygen or removing heat.
Or you can keep it the simple triangle that is inherent to all redox reactions by calling it reducer (fuel), oxidizer, and initiation energy to cover all the quibbles on the page. Halon extinguishes by raising the bar for required initiation energy, hot oxygen can bring its own initiation energy to the party etc.

Ak Gara posted:

That reminds me of the wonderful substance Chlorine Trifluoride. A Fluorinating agent that's a better oxidizer than Oxygen. :v: "It can burn stuff sane people might think of as non-flammable, like bricks, or asbestos... or thing that have already been burned." - Hank Green.
Halogens in general are better oxidizers than oxygen which is why they tend to already be in a stable state in nature having done their oxidizing. Oxygen is a weird crossroads element which is ridiculously reactive for how common it is in the atmosphere.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
We live on a planet with a ridiculously reactive atmosphere, where a ridiculously good solvent falls from the sky and covers 70% of the surface. There’s an unshielded fusion reactor of astronomical size just 1 AU away.

It’s just that our biology is adapted to these things.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

The famed children's story about strange weather falling from the sky took a dark turn in the latest of the series: Cloudy With a Chance of People.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Ak Gara posted:

Please use the superior quote:

John D. Clark posted:

It is, of course, extremely toxic, but that's the least of the problem. It is hypergolic with every known fuel, and so rapidly hypergolic that no ignition delay has ever been measured. It is also hypergolic with such things as cloth, wood, and test engineers, not to mention asbestos, sand, and water — with which it reacts explosively. It can be kept in some of the ordinary structural metals — steel, copper, aluminum, etc. — because of the formation of a thin film of insoluble metal fluoride which protects the bulk of the metal, just as the invisible coat of oxide on aluminum keeps it from burning up in the atmosphere. If, however, this coat is melted or scrubbed off, and has no chance to reform, the operator is confronted with the problem of coping with a metal-fluorine fire. For dealing with this situation, I have always recommended a good pair of running shoes.

Applesnots
Oct 22, 2010

MERRY YOBMAS

Platystemon posted:

We live on a planet with a ridiculously reactive atmosphere, where a ridiculously good solvent falls from the sky and covers 70% of the surface. There’s an unshielded fusion reactor of astronomical size just 1 AU away.

It’s just that our biology is adapted to these things.

I have always been amazed by this. Just a few more percent nitrogen in the atmosphere and we literally could not have discovered fire. No modern society as we know it.

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

Our current atmosphere would be toxic to the earliest forms of life on Earth. One creature's paradise is another's hideous death zone.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

VectorSigma posted:

Our current atmosphere would be toxic to the earliest forms of life on Earth. One creature's paradise is another's hideous death zone.

Our current atmosphere was (originally) generated by the earliest life forms on earth. Oxygen was a toxic waste product that primordial anaerobic microbes released into the atmosphere, until they made it so toxic for themselves that they could only continue to exist deep underground or inside other organisms, protected from the air.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

VectorSigma posted:

That's our only hope against the viruses, bacteria, and giant monkeys currently frozen in the siberian permafrost.

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

There's gotta be some exotic biochemistry out there that uses a halogen much like animal life uses oxygen. There's probably some alien out there that farts HF.

schmug
May 20, 2007

zedprime posted:

Or you can keep it the simple triangle that is inherent to all redox reactions by calling it reducer (fuel), oxidizer, and initiation energy to cover all the quibbles on the page. Halon extinguishes by raising the bar for required initiation energy, hot oxygen can bring its own initiation energy to the party etc.

Halogens in general are better oxidizers than oxygen which is why they tend to already be in a stable state in nature having done their oxidizing. Oxygen is a weird crossroads element which is ridiculously reactive for how common it is in the atmosphere.

OSHA: Simple, man. Keep it simple.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

zedprime posted:

Or you can keep it the simple triangle that is inherent to all redox reactions by calling it fuel, fire, and that which I desire to cover all the quibbles on the page.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

http://i.imgur.com/wdQfg3K.mp4

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

This ha s a certain amazing beauty to it.

BattleSausage
Aug 14, 2003

I'm butter side up, baby.

Taco Defender

I don't even

Why is there a roller machine that can and will murder people that only has the purpose of squishing things it just spat out

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Have you never made pasta? Industrial noodles that.

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

BattleSausage posted:

I don't even

Why is there a roller machine that can and will murder people that only has the purpose of squishing things it just spat out

I watched it a few times, and I can't tell what the end product is, but it seems like whatever it is, they are using the giant roller machine to mix it up.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
They're dying silicone I think.

BattleSausage
Aug 14, 2003

I'm butter side up, baby.

Taco Defender

Sammus posted:

I watched it a few times, and I can't tell what the end product is, but it seems like whatever it is, they are using the giant roller machine to mix it up.

*Rolls up your post, stuffs it back in the machine*

*gets arm stuck in machine, is rolled into paste*

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbtoX6nSnpA

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Nebalebadingdong posted:

"A high-rise residential building leans against another building after toppling over in a central neighborhood of Alexandria, Egypt, June 1."

Ugh, get a room you two!

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

There is enough high-quality silicone rubber in each roll to make anywhere from 25 to two adult toys.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Three-Phase posted:

There is enough high-quality silicone rubber in each roll to make anywhere from 25 to two adult toys.

GE Cafe?

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

SniperWoreConverse posted:

They're dying silicone I think.

Correctamundo.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Every big black dildo comes with the fear of losing one's arm rolled into it.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I can't express how happy I am that this gif continued until the material was fully mixed

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon

Isn't that a (really lovely and dangerous) way to de-ice your windows? Most people who do it don't use a hose tho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Colonel Cancer posted:

Isn't that a (really lovely and dangerous) way to de-ice your windows? Most people who do it don't use a hose tho.

:stare: you learn something everyday...