Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Party Boat posted:

Cameron thought no-one was going to win in 2015 which is why he promised the brexit vote, it would have been the first thing to go in coalition negotiations

Apparently it can turn out where they can't put together any coalition and have to do the whole election over again.

That would be the A+++ outcome.

May winning and Britain going to Brexit Hell would be an A++ outcome in terms of being a hilarious shitshow.

Corbyn winning and Britain being run by a wild eyed commie throwback nutcase would be an A++ outcome in terms of being a hilarious shitshow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Aliquid posted:

wait so wikileaks is pro-trump and pro-corbyn

Yeah corbyn is anti nato/anti american and would destabilize and weaken britain and europe.

Wikileaks is a russian proxy propaganda and intelligence service and its actively hostile to western democracy.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

hakimashou posted:

Yeah corbyn is anti nato/anti american and would destabilize and weaken britain and europe.

Wikileaks is a russian proxy propaganda and intelligence service and its actively hostile to western democracy.

Oh poo poo you're that guy.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Ignore hakamishou's award for top quality posting. He hasn't got a clue about anything.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Baron Corbyn posted:

Ignore hakamishou's award for top quality posting. He hasn't got a clue about anything.

What was I wrong about there out of curiosity?

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Who actually votes lib dem

like, seriously, who, who wants them

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

rudatron posted:

Libertarians, super-centrists and people who just haven't moved on afaik.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

rudatron posted:

The lib dem politicians I've seen all have the same sort of look about them. I can't put my finger on it. They're all just weird.

I imagine their voters are the same.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

rudatron posted:

The Lib Dems were the only major party to oppose the war in Iraq. If you squint really hard and imagine everything was specifically Nick Clegg's fault, you could maybe imagine them as still having some credibility.

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers

rudatron posted:

Young, better off men in south east England. I heard Stephen Bush describe the typical lib dem voter as the kind of guy who has atheist in his twitter bio and from the thankfully scant interaction I've had with them in my life, that is painfully accurate.

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

Jeb! Repetition posted:

They're supposedly in favor of anything that weakens the Western order vis-a-vis Putin, and I guess you could argue that NATO's alliance with Saudi Arabia is part of that. But I think their actual politics if any are more complicated than that.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Oh yeah and the LDs are running on an anti-Brexit platform, which is probably worth a few percentage points in itself.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
lol

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2017/jun/05/farmers-feeling-increasingly-gloomy-about-future-ahead-of-brexit-says-nfu

quote:

Despite overwhelmingly being in support of leaving the European Union at the Brexit referendum, farmers are increasingly gloomy now that they are staring down the reality of what leaving will entail.

In two years, confidence levels on the outlook for the next three years, as measured by the National Farmers’ Union (NFU), have plummeted to just above zero from a high of 19 points on the positive side, in the wake of the general election being called and Brexit being set.

Farmers were among the staunchest supporters of leaving the EU, despite their dependence on the €3bn (£2.5bn) of subsidies they receive each year. Rural voters opted in large numbers to leave the EU in most of the country, excluding Scotland, Northern Ireland and parts of Wales.

Before the referendum, many farmers told the Guardian they preferred to be outside the EU despite the lack of certainty on future subsidies, because they disliked EU regulations or were confident the UK could compete independently with other countries.

However, since the referendum farmers have also raised concerns that the end of free movement and the single market could be severe blows. Tens of thousands of migrant workers, mostly from former Eastern Europe, are required seasonally for harvesting, and the majority of the UK’s food and farming export trade is with the EU. The loss of the former will raise costs and if farmers are penalised by EU trade tariffs, their exports are likely to suffer markedly.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

think this only has youth voting at around 50% lol

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I've also heard that Methodists have been historically linked to the Lib Dems

Dunno how well that holds now

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

hakimashou posted:

What was I wrong about there out of curiosity?

In the post quoted specifically, Corbyn weakening and destabilising Europe for one. May acting as a fifth column in Europe and preventing us from putting up a united front against Trumpism is a far bigger threat than Corbyn's animus towards the USA which is actually mainstream in Europe right now. There's nothing in his manifesto that would weaken or destabilise Britain either but I admit a minority Labour government might do so if some of his MPs act the same way towards him as Prime Minister as they do as leader.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

you're putting a lot of effort into responding to hakimashou about politics. you'd do better talking to him about taiwan

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

There are more Americans in this thread who might not know enough about hak or British politics to realise he talks a load of bullocks :shrug:

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Jose posted:

you're putting a lot of effort into responding to hakimashou about politics. you'd do better talking to him about taiwan

Which is #1 btw

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

uh, we may be the losers

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

I've also heard that Methodists have been historically linked to the Lib Dems

Dunno how well that holds now

Probably not very well. It makes sense historically I guess, South West England has pretty strong Methodist roots and that was the Liberal/Lib Dem heartland (until they lost every one of their seats there in 2015 lol)

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Hebrides holding strong, go libdems!!

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Wrong poster

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Baron Corbyn posted:

In the post quoted specifically, Corbyn weakening and destabilising Europe for one. May acting as a fifth column in Europe and preventing us from putting up a united front against Trumpism is a far bigger threat than Corbyn's animus towards the USA which is actually mainstream in Europe right now. There's nothing in his manifesto that would weaken or destabilise Britain either but I admit a minority Labour government might do so if some of his MPs act the same way towards him as Prime Minister as they do as leader.

You guys are just going to have to suffer through trumpism to one extent or another with us, fences can be mended later.

I don't think corbyn is some existential threat to britain or europe or stability, but he's not mainstream and he could be disruptive. He's far too friendly toward bad actors like Iran and probably Venezuela and suffers from the disgusting shame of many from that kind of left where American ""imperialism"" is imagined to be the worst of all ills. Its tragic that the good kind of leftism get stained with that debased wretchedness.

I don't think its too controversial to say that there is more to Corbyn than just Labour's manifesto. He doesn't seem very friendly to britain's powerful financial sector either.

I do believe and have said before that any harm he is able to do to NATO and the military solidarity of democratic countries might well be offset by making the brexit 'softer' and maintaining european solidarity there.

I do think he'd be probably be better for british people than Theresa May, and if I were British I could not bring myself to vote for a tory, just as I would never vote for a Republican here.

He is divisive and disruptive because he's outside the liberal political consensus of the democratic world. That's reason enough by itself for Russia to prefer him and for its agents like wikileaks to do their thing. The Brexit itself is the main boon to the Kremlin, but I don't think they're putting themselves out too much having wikileaks nudge things toward a little extra icing on the cake.

hakimashou has issued a correction as of 09:02 on Jun 5, 2017

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
I remember the halcyon days of this thread, when we talked about what really mattered: space communism

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

he's going hard against saudi arabia and its going mainstream which is very ftw

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

rudatron posted:

I remember the halcyon days of this thread, when we talked about what really mattered: space communism

Yeah seriously this place was red af in gordy brown's time, what happened

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Aliquid posted:

Look at the DnD UK thread.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

hak, I'm assuming it's deliberate but the way you always refer to Brexit as "the Brexit" is even more irritating than the fact Brexit caught on a name in the first place. Well done.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Aliquid posted:

wrong thread/forum

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

What is this actually from?

Aliquid posted:

I think the traditional response is "GBS started leaking". UKMT is still fairly lefty, but there was a rather large cull of American voters who toxxed themselves about Trump.

hakimashou posted:

You guys are just going to have to suffer through trumpism to one extent or another with us, fences can be mended later.

I don't think corbyn is some existential threat to britain or europe or stability, but he's not mainstream and he could be disruptive. He's far too friendly toward bad actors like Iran and probably Venezuela and suffers from the disgusting shame of many from that kind of left where American ""imperialism"" is imagined to be the worst of all ills. Its tragic that the good kind of leftism get stained with that debased wretchedness.

I don't think its too controversial to say that there is more to Corbyn than just Labour's manifesto. He doesn't seem very friendly to britain's powerful financial sector either.

I do believe and have said before that any harm he is able to do to NATO and the military solidarity of democratic countries might well be offset by making the brexit 'softer' and maintaining european solidarity there.

I do think he'd be probably be better for british people than Theresa May, and if I were British I could not bring myself to vote for a tory, just as I would never vote for a Republican here.

He is divisive and disruptive because he's outside the liberal political consensus of the democratic world. That's reason enough by itself for Russia to prefer him and for its agents like wikileaks to do their thing. The Brexit itself is the main boon to the Kremlin, but I don't think they're putting themselves out too much having wikileaks nudge things toward a little extra icing on the cake.

He's not mainstream for Britain. Within the EU he'd probably be being denounced as a splitter/capitalist.

And why isn't American Imperialism "bad"? I mean you have the contras, US funding to the Mujahideen, US overthrowing the Democratic government of Iran, US funding terrorism in Africa. ETC ETC. Not saying that Russia and its invasions (Afghanistan for instance) or the general fuckwadery of South America (c.f. Venezuela) were better, its still Imperialism when you come down to it.

Plus, as is becoming increasingly clear, the financial sector is nobodies friend but itself. You shouldn't be friendly because, for the most part, the financial powers just want to move round the world and pay as little tax as possible.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Aliquid posted:

the threads a bit new to have been around since then. cspam too

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment

Aliquid posted:

Wrong poster

I know, but does it matter?

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment

Josef bugman posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lar0fNuBA1U

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Josef bugman posted:

I think the traditional response is "GBS started leaking". UKMT is still fairly lefty, but there was a rather large cull of American voters who toxxed themselves about Trump.

He's not mainstream for Britain. Within the EU he'd probably be being denounced as a splitter/capitalist.

And why isn't American Imperialism "bad"? I mean you have the contras, US funding to the Mujahideen, US overthrowing the Democratic government of Iran, US funding terrorism in Africa. ETC ETC. Not saying that Russia and its invasions (Afghanistan for instance) or the general fuckwadery of South America (c.f. Venezuela) were better, its still Imperialism when you come down to it.

Plus, as is becoming increasingly clear, the financial sector is nobodies friend but itself. You shouldn't be friendly because, for the most part, the financial powers just want to move round the world and pay as little tax as possible.

It's from the british DnD thread. The yellow cartoon guy is Pissflaps, someone bought me this avatar to look like his. It's a great honor, he is one of the best posters on SA.

American imperialism certainly hasn't been good, but fellow travelers and other people tend to use it as a catch-all for everything American, and even at some of our worst moments it was means to a worthy end. Not all but some.

Like I said, the issue is when ""american imperialism"" with the big double quotation marks around it is fixated on as the worst thing on earth, even to the extent that people are willing to debase themselves by siding with real monsters.

The financial sector isnt perfect but it is a significant element in britain's power. Britain will be both literally poorer and also more vulnerable if that industry moves away. I'd be thrilled if some of it moved to America, selfishly, and thrilled if some of it moved to europe, since I think Britain deserves to suffer for the Brexit, but any British leader has a moral and political responsibility to put the interests of Britain before anyone else.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

rudatron posted:

My sister is a Lib Dem and Nick Clegg is still her favourite politician

I love her and she usually has good views (she helps out the homeless, stuff like that) but i literally did a :psyduck: when she told me this

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

lol at our insanely poo poo voting system

https://twitter.com/PickardJE/statu...D102%23lastpost

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

uh, we may be the losers
Yeah but he needed a bulletproof vest, not an alternative voting system

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
She needs life-saving medical equipment, not an alternative voting system. *underfunds the NHS, none of us get either*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Josef bugman posted:

gently caress are you on about lol

Almost all of Europe now has pretty hard right government, including woke rear end pretty ones like Ireland or France. He is to the left within Europe even if he wants to leave it.