Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

How does the falling back out of combat thing work? Is it just a small move distance away? Is it done in the attackers turn, or the attacked players?

Did I mention I have a small Tau army? :ohdear: also how did the Tau do in that livestream earlier? Couldn't watch it much, stream kept buffering on me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
Falling back is done during your movement and you move however far your movement speed is.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Solemn Sloth posted:

Has there been any indication of how/of allies will work in 8e?

Everybody in your army is buddies so allies basically don't exist.

For battle-forged, everybody has to share some keyword.

So Chaos Daemons with Chaos Marines, All of the Imperium with each other, Tyranids with Genestealer Cultists, and Eldar with Drew Careys.

Orks, Tyranids and Necrons are strong single women who don't need no man.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
Huh, Forgeworld is still including rules for the Dominus Siege Bombard in the new index despite it never having a model. Even in 6th and 7th editions I don't think there was anything else that remained in the rules unmodeled that I can think of?

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

my kinda ape posted:

Huh, Forgeworld is still including rules for the Dominus Siege Bombard in the new index despite it never having a model. Even in 6th and 7th editions I don't think there was anything else that remained in the rules unmodeled that I can think of?

They've got all those 5th edition badab war characters that never had models.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Zaphod42 posted:

Everybody in your army is buddies so allies basically don't exist.

For battle-forged, everybody has to share some keyword.

So Chaos Daemons with Chaos Marines, All of the Imperium with each other, Tyranids with Genestealer Cultists, and Eldar with Drew Careys.

Orks, Tyranids and Necrons are strong single women who don't need no man.

Stealer Cults have a special rule letting them bring an IG detachment for each GSC detachment as a special exception to the keyword restriction.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

So my now 86 genestealers are loving awesome again?

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.

chutche2 posted:

They've got all those 5th edition badab war characters that never had models.

I liked using raptors- the dream is still alive.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!

Kilo147 posted:

So my now 86 genestealers are loving awesome again?

Yes, very. With a couple of broodlords to give bonus bubbles they are even better.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

goose willis posted:

Yeah no I make enough to buy my own dudes but when I told her about how people will literally spend hundreds of dollars on some painted plastic figurines on eBay she was amazed

There are professional companies that do painting. I believe their model is to contract a lot out to (hopefully) reliable painters to do the actual work. Maybe your mother could approach one of those with some samples and see if she can get a regular gig rather than having to rely on ebay?

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
Painting for profit is basically impossible unless you're very good AND very fast. Even if she's an accomplished artist she's never done miniatures before so it's pretty silly to say she should sign on with a professional company. And really the only one of those I've heard of was Blue Table Painting which was essentially a first world sweatshop pumping out poo poo quality paint jobs.

By all means try and make a little side cash painting, but do it on your own terms.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*
The best way to make money in miniature painting is Historicals. Lots of older Grogs with bad eyesight and large incomes

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

I don't have the leaked rules to refer to at the moment - what do bright/dark lances do now that armour values don't exist?

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice
They're simply AP -4 now

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Corrode posted:

I don't have the leaked rules to refer to at the moment - what do bright/dark lances do now that armour values don't exist?

A Bright lance is strength 8, ap-4 d6 damage. A dark lance is the same but is considered an assault weapon on a vehicle.

Basically anti vehicle weapons are high str, ap and damage but usually only one attack (so its overkill on most troops) while most "anti infantry" guns will have multiple attacks.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

RagnarokAngel posted:

A Bright lance is strength 8, ap-4 d6 damage. A dark lance is the same but is considered an assault weapon on a vehicle.

Basically anti vehicle weapons are high str, ap and damage but usually only one attack (so its overkill on most troops) while most "anti infantry" guns will have multiple attacks.

Also, because I've saw a few people making this mistake already: One multi-damage shot does not roll over to other models. So, for example, if you shoot a dark lance at a unit of single wound infantry, the most you can kill, even if you roll a 6 for damage, is 1 model.

Hamshot
Feb 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
What if it's mortal wounds? Any difference?

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Hamshot posted:

What if it's mortal wounds? Any difference?

Mortal wounds always roll over, they're special.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

RagnarokAngel posted:

Mortal wounds always roll over, they're special.

Warhammer 40K: Your wallet takes mortal wounds.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

RagnarokAngel posted:

Nice, Raiders and Ravagers look fully sick for ruining vehicles/MCs although I'm sure they're ridiculously expensive.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Warhammer 40K: Your wallet takes mortal wounds.

At least Instant Death is no longer a rule :unsmith:

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

RagnarokAngel posted:

At least Instant Death is no longer a rule :unsmith:

True, but debt carries over.

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man

Corrode posted:

Nice, Raiders and Ravagers look fully sick for ruining vehicles/MCs although I'm sure they're ridiculously expensive.

A raider with lance is basically twice the cost now but you get the new Nightshield (5+ invuln against ranged) for free. They lost access to all other wargear though so no sails or anything. Shock prow is still a thing though kinda bad, it lets you do a single base strength (as opposed to the bizarre fixed 4 of the bladewanes weapon the model usually melees with) at ap-1 and D3 damage if you charged, but it only costs 1 point so hey, why the gently caress not.

The Ravager meanwhile is one of the big winners of the edition, being barely more expensive with a triple lance loadout than in 7th. For some weird reason the Ravager's Nightshield is also the only one which is just a straight up 5+ invulnerable against everything.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Gonna throw down three Ravagers and just delete poo poo off the board, as is tradition.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Does WYSIWYG still exist in 8th?

Hamshot
Feb 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
I can't find anything about it. Should only be an ironclad rule if you're playing using power instead of points.

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man
WYSIWYG might rear it's head again if sanctioned GW tournaments starts being a thing again, as has been suggested I think? Otherwise as long as everyone knows what a given unit is equipped with nobody has ultimately given a poo poo if their opponent's stuff is WYSIWYG for a long time.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Generally it's at the discretion of the tournament organizer. For example if my 1K list doesn't have PKs but my nobs are carrying them does that mean I need to cut them all off? Probably not.

In my case I'll probably be doing a lot of tweaks to get my army legal again. For example putting force field generators on the battlewagons to show that they're now close-topped, and having my big meks equipped with burnas now have "really big mek's tools".

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
Jes Goodwins talking through the design for the new marines until 4:30.

DO IT TO IT
Mar 3, 2008

I know "mon" means man, but I don't think "Och" means anything.

I made a random Tyranids list that I'm going to use in my first test game of 8th edition. My buddy will probably be using Necrons, maybe Tau if we play 2 games. I'm really just trying random stuff to see what it's like, but here they are.

Tyranids 1 (1000 pts)
Hive Tyrant w/ Monstrous Scything Talons, Heavy Venom Cannon, Adrenal Glands, Catalyst power
30x Hormagaunts w/ Adrenal Glands
Lictor
3x Zoanthropes w/ Neurothrope, Onslaught power
5x Raveners w/ Rending Claws
2x Carnifexes w/ 2x Monstrous Scything Talons, Bio-plasma, Adrenal Glands
Mawloc

I was going to burrow the Raveners just to try that mechanic out.

I made another list as well just to try out some other stuff, but I don't know if we'll get the chance to play a 2nd game.

Tyranids 2 (996 pts)
Broodlord w/ Catalyst power
15x Genestealers
15x Genestealers
3x Hive Guard w/ Impaler Cannons
Maleceptor w/ Adrenal Glands, The Horror power
Biovore
Mawloc

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender
Some forgeworld previews up today:
https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/06/05/forge-world-preview-indexes/

Spartan Assault Tank and Brass Scorpion

TwingeCrag
Feb 6, 2007

I got a Phd in Badassery

TheChirurgeon posted:

Some forgeworld previews up today:
https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/06/05/forge-world-preview-indexes/

Spartan Assault Tank and Brass Scorpion

That laser destroyer though. Man.

Fun fact edit: Grey Knight terminator librarians can take storm shields now. This is a cool and good fact.

TwingeCrag fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Jun 5, 2017

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

TwingeCrag posted:

That laser destroyer though. Man.

Yeah that thing is brutal

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Any IG players around that can tell me if it's feasible to magnetize a Baneblade to keep the options open for the variant builds? Thinking of adding one to my GSC army come 8th.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

So I'm not sure if I want to preorder the main rulebook and both Imperium indexes or just the rulebook and then borrow any indexes if I end up playing.
(And then buy another shelf to fit all the new books I might end up buying.)

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007
Report on my 2000pt Necron v Death Guard

The new line of sight mechanics are brutal. I couldn't hide anything from his Havocs and then I made the mistake of assaulting a helbrute with 1 wound left with 8 praetorians and NOT killing it.

He also rolled 11 TWICE on smite, and then rolled 6 TWICE on the D6 mortal wounds, so I lost large swaths of warriors from Typhus doing that.

The lychguard were easily my most effective unit. With two wounds, a 3+ invuln, and reinanimation protocols, a full 10 of those guys will not die. I lost one, and then got it back from reanimation.

I think the game is more balanced but I rolled some key stuff really bad and he rolled some key stuff really well. I will probably change up my list, as I was trying to cram in a bunch of stuff to try it all.

The monolith was mostly ineffective. With no way to hide, if your opponent has a squad of 5 lascannons it's not going to make it.

He also played against Orks and won again, but the Orks did WAY better than they used to. Either way, my local meta has now shifted to "How do we beat death guard"

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Cooked Auto posted:

So I'm not sure if I want to preorder the main rulebook and both Imperium indexes or just the rulebook and then borrow any indexes if I end up playing.
(And then buy another shelf to fit all the new books I might end up buying.)

I would hold off on buying indexes unless you really need them. At some point (who knows when though) they will be replaced with a codex. It's probably better not to waste money, in my opinion.

Also, if you can afford it, by the box set. keep the rulebook, and sell off the models on Ebay if you don't want them. I guarantee you'll make your money back and likely get the book for free.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

berzerkmonkey posted:

I would hold off on buying indexes unless you really need them. At some point (who knows when though) they will be replaced with a codex. It's probably better not to waste money, in my opinion.

Also, if you can afford it, by the box set. keep the rulebook, and sell off the models on Ebay if you don't want them. I guarantee you'll make your money back and likely get the book for free.

Yeah I am probably going to get a lot more enjoyment for a while just reading through the rulebook. It was pretty much the reason I got the 3rd to 6th ed books previously. Need to find the whole 7th ed set for cheap somewhere to complete my collection.

It is tempting to grab the starter since I do want the Primaris marines but at the same time I can hold off on getting those until they get a separate release. I mostly just want the 5 man squad for painting purposes anyway and I've got enough a backlog as it is.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
Interesting take away from that interview with Goodwin, he re-iterates the sentiment that GW got a lot of poo poo for that they're a miniatures company first with unit rules have basically no bearing on their design work but it wasn't in a money grubbing cynical business way that it was with GW as a company stating it. He's just a fella that wants to make :krad: toy soldiers and his passion really comes across.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
So after the game last night, I think I'll drop my sternguard. 5 sternguard just didn't really do much.

For less points, I can sub in 2 guard special weapon squads inside a chimera, flamers and grenade launchers.

• Locked thread