Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Man, nothing like waking up to watching Trump scream at his underlings and appointees that they're fuckups

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Mustached Demon posted:

Extreme vettings where potential refugees have to compete in the x games, right?

Most Extreme Immigration Challenge

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

skeleton warrior posted:

Man, nothing like waking up to watching Trump scream at his underlings and appointees that they're fuckups

I suspect there will be communications restriction for the President outside of official channels put in place in the next administration. It can easily be justified as a matter of national security.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

There Bias Two posted:

I suspect there will be communications restriction for the President outside of official channels put in place in the next administration. It can easily be justified as a matter of national security.

It would be otally unnecessary for any President that wasn't a stupid wang like Trump

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

I don't know about what might change in official channels; I'd just appreciate a President who doesn't open the morning triggering the PTSD my abusive father gave me

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

https://twitter.com/Morning_Joe/status/871683678371536898

Here's what l sparked that tweetstorm, based on timing

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

I mean, at this point, I'm assuming that by August, he'll open the morning with "STUPID Jeff Sessions, who was always a disappointment to me, can't do anything right! SAD!"

Setset
Apr 14, 2012
Grimey Drawer
shadow conspiracy: Trump wants the travel ban because he's pulled support for global anti-terrorism, wanting to focus on "america first"

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

whoo, okay, time for more xanax and a lie down

eta: the man make a tweet, indeed

skeleton warrior fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Jun 5, 2017

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible
Trump's latest tweet storm really works well in that official press release format:

https://twitter.com/RealPressSecBot/status/871674468896194560

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

skeleton warrior posted:

I mean, at this point, I'm assuming that by August, he'll open the morning with "STUPID Jeff Sessions, who was always a disappointment to me, can't do anything right! SAD!"

Nah, it'll be, "5-4 decision! I'm so glad I nominated Gorsuch! Got the job done! gently caress those Muslims, it's a Muslim ban, I can say that now!"

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

There Bias Two posted:

All refugees have to stick at least a 1080 or it's a no-go.

The new anti-immigrant rethoric will be all about them doing flips that are way too sick, neatly tying into healthcare cuts.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

meh

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 12:40 on Jun 5, 2017

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!

Mustached Demon posted:

Extreme vettings where potential refugees have to compete in the x games, right?

Starmaker
Dec 29, 2009

My people I bring you a message from the Lord!
Thank you for that, sincerely

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Melania can probably ride a mean BMX.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

There Bias Two posted:

Why is he writing EXTREME VETTING in all caps like it's some sort of Xtreme Food advertisement from the 90's?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=geEVwslL-YY

TL;DR: Even though it's not a conscious choice, or calculated in any way, Trump's, uh, "cadence" in speech is great for the exact kind of populism he embodies. His tweet's content can be absorbed without even actually reading it. People don't need to engage with the content, context, or reality of what he's proposing (which is good for him since he's not proposing anything) but can still get the idea.

Look at that tweet again. Without actually reading it you see "EXTREME VETTING", which lets you recall his statements from the campaign, then as you're just coasting over it you get the ending "Courts slow and political!".

That's all you need in order to know what he's saying. We need extreme vetting because it's a cure to slow and political courts which are a problem and blah blah blah the reader just fills in the rest themselves to match what they want. Which is why his supporters say "he gets me, he talks like I do, he thinks like I do". All he's doing is basically giving them a political "Mad Libs" to fill in themselves.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Nice to know whatever slim chance of the travel ban surviving the court is now incredibly dead.

NOT_A_VIRUS.EXE
Dec 10, 2001
I send you this file in order to have your advice!
I thought they were going to show this one, still my favorite Ban or No Ban video

https://twitter.com/BraddJaffy/status/826790216493125632?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

"MUSLIMS are evil scum! That's why I want to ban them! PS Jeff Sessions is a pussy! America!"

Could have just tweeted that out for brevity's sake donno

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Trump's personal lawyer has to demand to be paid very very well to put up with this sort of poo poo.

In advance, of course.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
https://twitter.com/neal_katyal/status/871698122409488385

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Shifty Pony posted:

Trump's personal lawyer has to demand to be paid very very well to put up with this sort of poo poo.

In advance, of course.

Probably because this is going to heavily stain his career, and the only client he'll be able to get after this is Trump.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

CommieGIR posted:

Probably because this is going to heavily stain his career, and the only client he'll be able to get after this is Trump.

I dunno. As long as he isn't doing anything actually unethical I don't think it will matter much if he has the connections.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Haha this is pretty rich, I missed this before

https://mobile.twitter.com/OmarJadwat/status/871680375700856835

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Radish posted:

I dunno. As long as he isn't doing anything actually unethical I don't think it will matter much if he has the connections.

He'll change his name to Saul and well..

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Radish posted:

Maybe, but Trump is so self-sabotaging, that its likely to come back on the lawyer.

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Ramos posted:

Nice to know whatever slim chance of the travel ban surviving the court is now incredibly dead.

I hope I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure the only way the ban dies in SCOTUS is if they amend the constitution to include Trump's thoughts.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Radish posted:

Normally I'd agree, but at this point is there anyone who has works for Trump in a way that involves personal contact of any kind and who isn't tainted by scandal as a result? Like, I'm sincerely asking; not merely being facetious. He really does seem to taint and corrupt anything he comes into contact with, in the few cases where the folks he's dealing with weren't criminals beforehand.

Trump really is a completely toxic person in a way few people (thankfully) are.

EDIT:

Phoix posted:

I hope I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure the only way the ban dies in SCOTUS is if they amend the constitution to include Trump's thoughts.

This is another thing where normally I'd agree with you. But normally the way these things were done is that there would be the blatantly obvious subtext of [clearly unconstitutional and discriminatory thing] that however blatant remained the subtext rather than the text. Normally these things were able to be easily and somewhat quietly rubber stamped by the SCOTUS because there was just enough obfuscation of the intent that the Conservative justices could plausibly make up an excuse for why it's okay (except Scalia who needed no excuse). With Trump constantly sabotaging his own efforts and making the subtext text, who knows. Maybe the justices wont give a drat anyway, or maybe they will. Things are definitely weird and different enough that I could see it going either way.

RoboChrist 9000 fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Jun 5, 2017

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

CommieGIR posted:

CommieGIR posted:

Maybe, but Trump is so self-sabotaging, that its likely to come back on the lawyer.

yeah that's nonsense. he represented the loving president of the united states, even if he loses this case that's a massive boost to his professional standing.

edit: which is as it should be, obviously. otherwise any defense lawyer who ever went to bat for a mass murderer would be out of a job and the whole justice system would be even worse than it currently is.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
https://twitter.com/BraddJaffy/status/871693071397904384

:tif:

Phoix posted:

Please, elaborate.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
E: DP

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

botany posted:

yeah that's nonsense. he represented the loving president of the united states, even if he loses this case that's a massive boost to his professional standing.

edit: which is as it should be, obviously. otherwise any defense lawyer who ever went to bat for a mass murderer would be out of a job and the whole justice system would be even worse than it currently is.

He's been hiring and employing lawyers for decades that openly attack small buisinesses and generally actually lose when it comes to going to court. I have my doubt about the competency of the lawyers he employs.

I wonder what happened to John Dean.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

CommieGIR posted:

He's been hiring and employing lawyers for decades that openly attack small buisinesses and generally actually lose when it comes to going to court. I have my doubt about the competency of the lawyers he employs.

I wonder what happened to John Dean.

sure, but that's a different question. if his lawyer is incompetent, he will still get a boost from being retained by POTUS.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Fuckin wow.

This is right into the face of all the namby pamby "hurrr, why matter if he don't say the magic words" fucktards. Cosmoline-in-chief loving deleted the reaffirmation of Article 5 and I'm taking that as 100% proof of him planning on either pulling out of or trying to disband NATO.

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Paracaidas posted:

Please, elaborate.

I think the current ban, as written with no outside context, is likely constitutional and I can't see the majority of sitting judges acknowledging Trump's tweets and interviews.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

botany posted:

sure, but that's a different question. if his lawyer is incompetent, he will still get a boost from being retained by POTUS.

....let's be honest: Who really wants a lawyer who works with a client like the current POTUS who is largely considered inept?

Phoix posted:

I think the current ban, as written with no outside context, is likely constitutional and I can't see the majority of sitting judges acknowledging Trump's tweets and interviews.

No. Because even Conservative judges on the Lower Courts have already said he's blown his own orders out of the water with his own tweets and claims. I doubt even the most conservative judge on the SCOTUS is going to ignore obvious pretense of what Trump and his allies say versus what the order says.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

CommieGIR posted:

....let's be honest: Who really wants a lawyer who works with a client like the current POTUS who is largely considered inept?

No. Because even Conservative judges on the Lower Courts have already said he's blown his own orders out of the water with his own tweets and claims. I doubt even the most conservative judge on the SCOTUS is going to ignore obvious pretense of what Trump and his allies say versus what the order says.

Counterpoint: Pile of poo poo masquerading as a SCOTUS Justice Samuel Alito.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

TARDISman posted:

Counterpoint: Pile of poo poo masquerading as a SCOTUS Justice Samuel Alito.

Well, that is a special exception.

• Locked thread