Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.
Reminder that most irl Yinzers are working poor and under-educated, so check out all these cool posters flying their cool classist flags

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Internet
Apr 20, 2005

:love: HOTLANTA :love:
IS WHERE YOUR HEART IS
How is that a talking point? Why can't the article say, "when PK Subban glided over to two separate Penguins at the end of game 3 and pointed to the dressing room it was obvious he was talking some big yay. Obviously no one made an elementary school joke about breath and PK made some stuff up on the spot when asked a pointed question."

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

MY NIGGA D-LINK posted:

Reminder that most irl Yinzers are working poor and under-educated, so check out all these cool posters flying their cool classist flags

How woke of you.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

"He just likes the attention" is a really hollow comeback to something someone who already had 19 cameras in his face said.

For hockey robot Sidney Crosby that's the cruelest insult he can inflict on another hockey player.

Captain Internet
Apr 20, 2005

IS WHERE YOUR HEART IS
Pittsburgh is in a super fun pickle wherein there are a lot of opportunities for the incredibly educated and specialized but almost nothing for undergrad degrees. (True of most of the nation/rust belt) but unlike the rust belt, the transient engineers, computer science, and medical professionals prop up our joke of a region and make it look more prosperous and habitable when it is actually a opioid filled trash fire where you and your state sponsored university bachelors degree will rot while you scrabble along trying to support a family on 30-40k a year.

But hey man, the hockey is pretty cool to watch in June.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

MY NIGGA D-LINK posted:

Those other posters are also Americans so it's fine.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?

Captain Internet posted:

Pittsburgh is in a super fun pickle wherein there are a lot of opportunities for the incredibly educated and specialized but almost nothing for undergrad degrees. (True of most of the nation/rust belt) but unlike the rust belt, the transient engineers, computer science, and medical professionals prop up our joke of a region and make it look more prosperous and habitable when it is actually a opioid filled trash fire where you and your state sponsored university bachelors degree will rot while you scrabble along trying to support a family on 30-40k a year.

But hey man, the hockey is pretty cool to watch in June.

Pretty much this but I have degrees in philosophy and sociology so I dug my own grave.

Anyway Sid is just practicing his interviewing skills so he can take over for Pierre when he retires. "How is your breath?"

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky

Schremp Howard posted:

Pretty much this but I have degrees in philosophy and sociology so I dug my own grave.

jesus man

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Couldn't afford a gravedigger with his salary.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.
"He just likes the attention" is a great comeback because it's true.

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH

Benson Cunningham posted:

"He just likes the attention" is a great comeback because it's true.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS
"ya breath stank" is exactly the cutting insult I believe Crosby would use, though. It's a tough call, everyone.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
I like to think that nonzero number of Nashville hockey attendees went to the trouble of taping a rotting catfish to their person, then pussed out and didn't throw it and instead had to walk out of the arena and drive home with said catfish still on their person.

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

bewbies posted:

I like to think that nonzero number of Nashville hockey attendees went to the trouble of taping a rotting catfish to their person, then pussed out and didn't throw it and instead had to walk out of the arena and drive home with said catfish still on their person.

They had bins you could throw your illicit catfish into outside the stadium.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Infidel Castro posted:

They had bins you could throw your illicit catfish into outside the stadium.

Excuse me I think you mean criminal instrument

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

Scaramouche posted:

Excuse me I think you mean criminal instrument

Ain't a jury in Tennessee that'd convict, son.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

ive never been a hockey fan of any note, but i must say that i extremely approve of the level of petty that the cup brings out of people

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Blue Raider posted:

ive never been a hockey fan of any note, but i must say that i extremely approve of the level of petty that the cup brings out of people

Because it's the cup

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
My all time favorite Cup pettiness is still Draper losing his poo poo over Crosby taking too long to get to the handshake line.

Captain Internet
Apr 20, 2005

IS WHERE YOUR HEART IS
This years best petty I think was either the Ducks being pissbabies in the very end of their elimination game or Torts skipping the players' handshake line and just quickly shook Sullys hand so he could beat the traffic.

In years past, best petty is anytime any player shoots at opponent goal during warm up. It never ceases to rile idiots up. Oh and the time Ovi took a half court slapper (at Letang) at the buzzer of a very over game.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Ginette Reno posted:

My all time favorite Cup pettiness is still Draper losing his poo poo over Crosby taking too long to get to the handshake line.

You mean when Draper and Lidstrom left the ice without shaking the Pens' hands? Yeah, that was pretty lovely of them.

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

Captain Internet posted:

In years past, best petty is anytime any player shoots at opponent goal during warm up. It never ceases to rile idiots up.

It happened this year too!

https://twitter.com/TSNRyanRishaug/status/853071125483372547

2017 NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs: The Year of Pettiness

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
This was some good petty http://www.sportingnews.com/nhl/new...gl1p1dbn4w490r2

Ginette Reno posted:

My favorite thing was the Wings not letting Nashville use their ping pong tables a few years ago.

Captain Internet
Apr 20, 2005

IS WHERE YOUR HEART IS
There definitely should be an end of the year award, ala The Golden Shoe, called The Coat Junction and the pettiest poo poo wins the award. Fun petty stuff like Kessel making a fake stall for Malkin in the hallway of the dressing room to like legit, savage acts like immediately firing Gallant and making him take a cab away from the arena or public ally announcing that you aren't going to come back and coach in the middle of the off season but not tell your bosses. Or just straight up getting your GM and Coach fired because of interpersonal issues. Or keeping a defensemen healthy scratched for the whole season because he was too good to send down but not good enough to crack the 6 man roster.

There has been a LOT of petty poo poo.

Edit: Or trading a dude straight up for another dude who is older with a longer, worse contact with a worse stat line because of "character issues." Firing the coach which was the cause of those "character issues" literally as soon as a better option hit the market even though you were leading your division. God drat Montreal, you Kyle and Tom. Petty as poo poo.

Captain Internet fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Jun 5, 2017

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Honestly when I saw them chirping and PK talking to Pierre after, my first thought was actually that Sid said something worse and PK made the breath thing up

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

https://twitter.com/AGretz/status/871373419589382145

the nhl wants to crack down on slashing but doesn't want a parade to the penalty box, so... can the refs have rulers to smack the hands of these rude boys who keep slashing? maybe a leather paddle so we can get some spankings for repeat offenders

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
is it petty to mock whoever that drunk broad was who croaked out the anthem on saturday?

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Aye Doc posted:

https://twitter.com/AGretz/status/871373419589382145

the nhl wants to crack down on slashing but doesn't want a parade to the penalty box, so... can the refs have rulers to smack the hands of these rude boys who keep slashing? maybe a leather paddle so we can get some spankings for repeat offenders

If there were consistency in calling, regardless of the score or other ice circumstances, the players could learn what a penalty is and stop doing it. But they've kind of established you're allowed to do those slashes this year, so it would be odd to start calling them now.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

How long would a parade to the penalty box really last before they figured out they have to knock off the slashing?? Oh well we'll never know

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

myron cope posted:

How long would a parade to the penalty box really last before they figured out they have to knock off the slashing?? Oh well we'll never know

well boys it looks like we have 13 of us in the penalty box and will be at a 5-on-3 disadvantage for the rest of the game, so i want you to go out there and slash some wrists to get us back in this thing

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

bewbies posted:

is it petty to mock whoever that drunk broad was who croaked out the anthem on saturday?

No she sounded pretty bad.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

myron cope posted:

The beginning of the obstruction era, with the new "I have a grapefruit" hand signal, was pretty unwatchable but then.... um... i was going somewhere with this....

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

They're professional hockey players. You penalize them for doing a thing, they'll stop doing it, and find some other new way to be dirty shitheads on the ice.

Except for the puck over the glass penalty. That will always be a thing no matter how much they try to avoid it.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

In the current NHL, they could call slashing per the rules one game, and people would stop after 3 or so calls are made.

But then the next game they are going to go right back to it. That's the problem with lack of consistency. You don't want to fix the behavior for 60 minutes, you want to fix it for an entire season. And you can't do that without being more consistent in calling.

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

Captain Internet posted:

Edit: Or trading a dude straight up for another dude who is older with a longer, worse contact with a worse stat line because of "character issues." Firing the coach which was the cause of those "character issues" literally as soon as a better option hit the market even though you were leading your division. God drat Montreal, you Kyle and Tom. Petty as poo poo.

my favorite part about this whole thing is hearing sports journalists speculating why pk subban takes so much criticism while dancing around saying the word 'black'

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

inferis posted:

my favorite part about this whole thing is hearing sports journalists speculating why pk subban takes so much criticism while dancing around saying the word 'black'

It's a universal plague. See also: Tiger Woods.

For a good litmus test, see how people react to what Tiger did compared to Bill Clinton.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

iospace posted:

For a good litmus test, see how people react to what Tiger did compared to Bill Clinton.

The problem for PK is he's not only black with all the baggage that entails in the sports media but he also prominently displays his enthusiasm when playing the game which the dinosaur hockey media really hates. Nobody is allowed to have fun. You must take this game played by little boys 100% seriously all the time.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

iospace posted:

I'm not debating the existence of tacit/institutional and or overt racism but...if we're talking about marital infidelity I'm pretty comfortable saying Bill Clinton got it from society/media a whole lot worse than Tiger did.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

bewbies posted:

I'm not debating the existence of tacit/institutional and or overt racism but...if we're talking about marital infidelity I'm pretty comfortable saying Bill Clinton got it from society/media a whole lot worse than Tiger did.

I'm talking about after the fact, as in a few years down the line. Obviously immediate reaction you're right, I'll give you that point. My mom would cheer when Tiger did horribly after the whole thing came out, but when I'd ask her what she thought about Bill's stuff, she'd shrug about it.

Ginette Reno posted:

The problem for PK is he's not only black with all the baggage that entails in the sports media but he also prominently displays his enthusiasm when playing the game which the dinosaur hockey media really hates. Nobody is allowed to have fun. You must take this game played by little boys 100% seriously all the time.

Yup. See also: baseball writers.

iospace fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Jun 5, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carver
Jan 14, 2003

Ginette Reno posted:

This is what I love about Nashville and how everybody seems to embrace it instead of being all like "shuuuuuuuuuush"

• Locked thread