Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Today in Canadian Politics: pmselfie appears on Live with Kelly and Ryan!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

Postess with the Mostest posted:

Inquiring minds are curious what degrees? I wish I knew how to frame properly

Carpentry/trades was the before, during, and after bill-paying exercise for my English degree. Surprisingly, I couldn't find a job that utilised that degree very well. Strange, I know. So what do you do to make an English degree useful? Get an education degree! Call me Mr. Plan B. Except now most school divisions aren't hiring new teachers at all because of the deep cuts in the last provincial budget, so fuckin' lol here I am framing again while I pray for a phone call.

Framing honestly isn't that hard. All the individual steps are pretty easy to execute. it is putting them all together in the proper order and keeping them square and true that takes a bit of a knack. As a rural landowner you should be scoffing at the notion of inspectors anyway!

This link is framing in Canada: the book -

https://www03.cmhc-schl.gc.ca/catal...r=1496671873109

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Stickarts posted:

So what do you do to make an English degree useful?

Get a job in "communications"

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

infernal machines posted:

Get a job in "communications"

Does shitposting on SA count?

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
What we do here qualifies as communication, barely, so you could probably puff up 'shitposting in canpol' to a half decent sounding volunteer position on your resume if you're that desperate.

EDIT: "Volunteer contributor to a bipartisan political and economic awareness group."

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

infernal machines posted:

The touching of computers is a noble profession. Besides, we're basically the modern day blue collar tradesmen.

It's an industry ripe for unionization, and only our unfailing belief that we are the Randian Ubermench of the future prevents it.

IT professionals by and large are modern day plumbers.

Expand your network so you 'got a guy' in every trade if need be. Needless to say, I got a guy that goes bang bang with a hammer for big enough jobs.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

Criminology

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

Risky Bisquick posted:

IT professionals by and large are modern day plumbers.

Expand your network so you 'got a guy' in every trade if need be. Needless to say, I got a guy that goes bang bang with a hammer for big enough jobs.

Computer janitors are the mechanics, developers and poo poo are the engineers. The Janitor spectrum comes with varying levels of skill requirement, pay, responsibilities, duties and sometimes even a little prestige. The janitors and devs often hate each and disparage each other.

:iiaca:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
DevOps, or how to hate yourself.

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

EvilJoven posted:

EDIT: "Volunteer contributor to a bipartisan political and economic awareness group."

If I ever make a linkedin, this is my header.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Stickarts posted:

Carpentry/trades was the before, during, and after bill-paying exercise for my English degree. Surprisingly, I couldn't find a job that utilised that degree very well. Strange, I know. So what do you do to make an English degree useful? Get an education degree! Call me Mr. Plan B. Except now most school divisions aren't hiring new teachers at all because of the deep cuts in the last provincial budget, so fuckin' lol here I am framing again while I pray for a phone call.

Framing honestly isn't that hard. All the individual steps are pretty easy to execute. it is putting them all together in the proper order and keeping them square and true that takes a bit of a knack. As a rural landowner you should be scoffing at the notion of inspectors anyway!

That's too bad, a teaching degree seemed to be plan B for all my arts friends. Thanks for the link. I've been procrastinating building a proper woodshed in my rural paradise just because I don't know where to start, permits be damned.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
Canadians are so nice and friendly and never would have elected Trump

http://toronto.ctvnews.ca/woman-berates-chinese-grocery-employees-because-they-don-t-speak-english-1.3443604

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

That's too bad, a teaching degree seemed to be plan B for all my arts friends. Thanks for the link. I've been procrastinating building a proper woodshed in my rural paradise just because I don't know where to start, permits be damned.

Let me tell you about teaching degrees, they are worthless in Ontario. Teachers that retire (in their 50s) can collect their pensions and continue to work part-time distorting the job prospects for new teachers.

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

I'm being cynical and self-deprecating. I actually do love it. Looking at grad school at U of T/OISE as we speak, actually. Any Toronto posters know the odds of getting funded to go to grad school out there? What's the average rent for a bachelor suite/1-bedroom? How hosed financially am I if I do grad school in Toronto?

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe

Stickarts posted:

Goons looking out for goons ITT

the trump tutelage posted:

Heyo --

Currently on a weeklong probation so I can't do this myself, but if you have a moment, please let Stickarts know that BC is hiring teachers like crazy right now as a result of an SPCC decision against the Ministry which is requiring them to rebalance the teacher:pupil ratio (+ new curriculum incentivizing early retirements). Alberta is hiring as well, though not as much. Finally, KPDSB in northwestern Ontario is always in desperate need of supply teachers (3-5 days a week) and it'd be easy to supplement his teaching income there if he's a handyman.

If he's not already, he should be using applytoeducation (and makeafuture for BC specifically) to look for jobs.

So maybe just maybe you can put your degrees to use. Polish that resume and give it a go.

EDIT: and get yourself plat. Lowtax needs the 5 bucks.

EvilJoven fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Jun 5, 2017

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Baronjutter posted:

I know 3 electrical engineers all at different stages of their career. Youngest guy is working his rear end off for little pay and poor hours. Middle aged guy is always stressed and has to work long hours for salary for a company that has a culture where you just get your project done no matter what even it means 12 hour days and weekends at no extra pay. 3rd guy is nearing retirement and rich and had a great fun career and funnels his money into as 1,200 sq ft model train.

The best career advise I can give anyone is to travel back in time and start your career in the 60's or 70's and don't exist in this miserable timeline.

:ohdear:

Yeah this is pretty much what I'm afraid of, if I can even land a job somewhere

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

EvilJoven posted:

Uhhhhh

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

EvilJoven posted:

Goons looking out for goons ITT

So maybe just maybe you can put your degrees to use. Polish that resume and give it a go.

EDIT: and get yourself plat. Lowtax needs the 5 bucks.

Oh snap! Who ate the probie that I have to thank? Maybe once I'm making that serious teacher bank I can afford platinum.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Yeah, it's a really really good time to be a teacher looking for work in BC, get to work applying.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
the trump tutelage

Forgot to put his name in the quote.

I hear teaching can be a heartbreaking profession full of BS sometimes but seriously our society needs more people willing to educate our youth.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Stickarts posted:

I'm being cynical and self-deprecating. I actually do love it. Looking at grad school at U of T/OISE as we speak, actually. Any Toronto posters know the odds of getting funded to go to grad school out there? What's the average rent for a bachelor suite/1-bedroom? How hosed financially am I if I do grad school in Toronto?

I don't know about grad school, but you're looking at $1,200+ for a bachelor/one bedroom. It's rough here, do a teaching cert in peterborough or kingston or somewhere else reasonable.

Living in Toronto is amazing, but I wouldn't want to do it on credit. Best of luck!

e: I was in Manhattan with my wife last week and honestly Toronto cost of living makes that place seem reasonable even after the exchange. Maybe even cheap. So that's where we're at here, we make NYC seem affordable.

Reince Penis fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Jun 5, 2017

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Well you see we like both the communist party AND the Marxist Leninist party.

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

Trump, Clam, Evil, PK, etc., sincere thanks for the help, y'all. Doing (roughly) the same job I was doing two degrees ago was making me laugh/cry.

I hear OISE is globally renowned, so I would love to study there, but I'm so deep into debt I think I would classify as "too big to fail" if I had to carry that cost of living. Teaching is indeed the land of mediocrity and heartbreak but dammit I want in!

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

Risky Bisquick posted:

Let me tell you about teaching degrees, they are worthless in Ontario. Teachers that retire (in their 50s) can collect their pensions and continue to work part-time distorting the job prospects for new teachers.

Same thing happened to teacher friends of mine in Manitoba, the worst part is you get passed over for full-time teaching jobs if you don't sub enough so they effectively got locked out of working for 2 years.

Jordan7hm posted:

Well you see we like both the communist party AND the Marxist Leninist party.

We need someone to come in and compress the left

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
GUYS, life is so unfair why won't the high paying jobs come to meeeee

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Hi CI!

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

namaste faggots posted:

not gonna lie, the thread is a lot more boring when you're not around, you hateful rear end

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

namaste faggots posted:

Just rely on mincome and buy lo sell hi options trading on margin amirite

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Who left the door to the shame cube open

Goddammit there's poo poo all over the thread again!

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
did senator colonel super humanitarian soldier romeo dallaire forget to wear his diapers again

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Stickarts posted:

Does shitposting on SA count?

These days? Probably. People get paid to write tweets for brands.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

CanPol Megathread: Return of the King

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Corbyn, Horgan, and the Hurtin' Albertans

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Stickarts posted:

If you get an OGS or a CGS you'll be doing very well, but U of T generally funds its grads quite well. If you get accepted, I think you'll be fine.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

https://twitter.com/jjhorgan/status/871769424327569409

:kimchi:

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Scheer straight up trolling half his party at the Press Gallery dinner lol

quote:

Scheer seemed to cough on his words as he told the gallery he wasn’t under influence from any fringe group: “There’s some suggestion out there that I’m beholden to a certain group within the Conservative family,” he said, clearing his throat. He then pulled out a carton of milk and took a swig, thanking Canada’s dairy farmers.

Reince Penis fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Jun 5, 2017

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
God, gently caress Scheer and gently caress the Conservatives and gently caress the the dairy farmers too for good measure.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

He looks like he wants to sell me some renovations to my house.

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.

PK loving SUBBAN posted:

Scheer straight up trolling half his party at the Press Gallery dinner lol

Hey are the alt-right still drinking milk as a white supremacist gesture or is this just some bizarrely-timed calcium supplementation?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Skippy Granola posted:

Hey are the alt-right still drinking milk as a white supremacist gesture or is this just some bizarrely-timed calcium supplementation?

What, is/was that actually a thing??!