Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

Now that I've had some time to reflect a bit I'm warming up to it.

Also, how amazing was it when Kevin said "sometimes I just like to get a little :lost:"?

I don't feel cheapened by the Laurie thing. She said she was an avid diver and maybe she didn't think she'd get back to Australia. It really was now or never for her to dive there. It also explains how serene she was despite her kids calling. No need to be torn up if you aren't going to kill yourself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poppyseed Poundcake
Feb 23, 2007

Chadzok posted:

i want a fourth season where it turns out that because of the machining people back and forth one of the universes starts to die and they go to war with each other and poo poo that would be loving sweet

And then a fifth season where all the people in the other world turn out to be Cro-Mags

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
When Kevin said "i believe you" i howled and let loose a torrent of tears not unlike a small waterfall. Thank you damon lindloft.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

I don't feel cheapened by the Laurie thing. She said she was an avid diver and maybe she didn't think she'd get back to Australia. It really was now or never for her to dive there. It also explains how serene she was despite her kids calling. No need to be torn up if you aren't going to kill yourself.

I think the fact that she's alive recontextualizes the scene where she gets the phone call from Jill and Tommy. I originally read it as "My kids are fine, they don't need me anymore, just like the world in general has no need for people like me anymore," but now I think it's more "who the gently caress cares if everything I thought I 'knew' about the world has been thrown to the wind? I know that I have people who love me and that's all that has ever really mattered anyway."

e: Although that scene was always ambiguous, the later reveal of Laurie being alive I think solidifies it

Pepe Silvia Browne fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Jun 5, 2017

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Yeah I think Nora was lying. A world full of orphans and apparently she was the only one who wanted to go back?

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

Despera posted:

Yeah I think Nora was lying. A world full of orphans and apparently she was the only one who wanted to go back?

Well if the only representatives they see from the 98% world are as hosed up as Nora and Mark Linn Baker I wouldn't want to go their either.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I just finished it. Man :negative:

And that part about Matt not wanting his son growing up forgetting about him really loving hit me :smith:

EDIT: Ha, so I work in the outskirts of Montreal, and this is where my Weather Underground App thinks I am.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Jun 5, 2017

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

I think the fact that she's alive recontextualizes the scene where she gets the phone call from Jill and Tommy. I originally read it as "My kids are fine, they don't need me anymore, just like the world in general has no need for people like me anymore," but now I think it's more "who the gently caress cares if everything I thought I 'knew' about the world has been thrown to the wind? I know that I have people who love me and that's all that has ever really mattered anyway."

e: Although that scene was always ambiguous, the later reveal of Laurie being alive I think solidifies it

Yeah some people were aggressively certain she killed herself. I thought she did but was always open to the possibility that she didn't.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

When Kevin said "i believe you" i howled and let loose a torrent of tears not unlike a small waterfall. Thank you damon lindloft.

Not coincidently the part in The Constant in Lost where Desmond says to Penny "You believed me." had the same effect on me.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Nora decided not to kill herself at the last second because she realized her kids didn't need her anymore.

Laurie decided not to kill herself at the last second because she realized her kids still did.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
That finale was wonderful. I could niggle about not really being into revealing whether or not Laurie died and the lack of Jill and Tom this season and other such minor issues but honestly I'm just so impressed with how they pulled it off.

People complaining that this finale was almost all Kevin and Nora should note they've basically been closing off other arcs in the last few episodes anyways. This entire last half of the season has been like, finale after finale.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Lindelof did say that a John/Erika episode and a Tom/Jill episode would have happened if they had 10 episodes instead of 8.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

Klungar posted:

Lindelof did say that a John/Erika episode and a Tom/Jill episode would have happened if they had 10 episodes instead of 8.

hmmm gently caress hbo? but also thank hbo for letting it end :worship:

rip deadwood

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

"A Lie Agreed Upon" describes this show well.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Rocco posted:

I was never expecting answers to why the departed left- or even real answers to the things I just mentioned. I guess to me, they just seemed like weird things to -drop completely- and never get into again. "Let the mystery be" is fine, but to never even address or investigate these insanely bizarre events just feels kinda disappointing to me.

This is just one of those things that you kind of have to accept as part of the premise of the show. The reality is that something like the sudden departure would never be dropped, not without the very fabric of society being altered, and not even after centuries. People just vanishing changes something fundamental about our understanding of everything. That's not something the writers are really interested in engaging with, though, so instead any kind of work to figure out what actually happened is written as crazy or fringe. Damon Lindelof also seems to have a kind of weird understanding of and/or relationship with science and I think that shows in a lot of what he's been heavily involved in too.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Niwrad posted:

I think she made it up. It made a better story. It allows her to bring Kevin back into her life.
Nora was getting mad at people lying all episode long. She wouldn't let Kevin back because he was lying and she screamed at a nun for lying, so would she really lie to Kevin? Doesn't seem like it, but then again she got super enraged about the machine and then actually went and got in it, so maybe.

In terms of like realism or whatever it seems like she absolutely has to be lying, because otherwise some fly-by-night physicist basically "solved" the departure and then built another machine just for Nora and can send people back and forth between worlds. He figured this out like 15 years ago and still nobody knows about it. Also in terms of realism the fact she yelled something in the machine right before they cut the scene, well, she has to hold her breath for 30 seconds or her lungs will fill up with a fluid that will harden and kill her, so once she screams they probably have to slam the stop button on that whole procedure. But I don't know if they really intend for us to think about these aspects of this.

I didn't really like how they fit Laurie into this episode of Nora hiding on the other side of the world.

ten_twentyfour
Jan 24, 2008

Fast Luck posted:

Nora was getting mad at people lying all episode long. She wouldn't let Kevin back because he was lying and she screamed at a nun for lying, so would she really lie to Kevin? Doesn't seem like it, but then again she got super enraged about the machine and then actually went and got in it, so maybe.

In terms of like realism or whatever it seems like she absolutely has to be lying, because otherwise some fly-by-night physicist basically "solved" the departure and then built another machine just for Nora and can send people back and forth between worlds. He figured this out like 15 years ago and still nobody knows about it. Also in terms of realism the fact she yelled something in the machine right before they cut the scene, well, she has to hold her breath for 30 seconds or her lungs will fill up with a fluid that will harden and kill her, so once she screams they probably have to slam the stop button on that whole procedure. But I don't know if they really intend for us to think about these aspects of this.

I didn't really like how they fit Laurie into this episode of Nora hiding on the other side of the world.

When Nora was filming the I Agree To This video she flat out says she doesn't lie. (I think she was lying)

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Nora lied, people died.

I sure did, excellent finale

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Fast Luck posted:

Also in terms of realism the fact she yelled something in the machine right before they cut the scene, well, she has to hold her breath for 30 seconds or her lungs will fill up with a fluid that will harden and kill her, so once she screams they probably have to slam the stop button on that whole procedure. But I don't know if they really intend for us to think about these aspects of this.

The lungs hardening is only IF you breath in or swallow the liquid. I.E. what happens if you fail to hold your breath once you are submerged and the device activates.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Yeah I know but that's why they can't have you talking/yelling right as the fluid approaches your head if they don't want that to happen.

Again though I don't think you're meant to crack whether she's lying by analyzing this fact though

Fast Luck fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Jun 5, 2017

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Fast Luck posted:

Yeah I know but that's why they can't have you talking/yelling right as the fluid approaches your head if they don't want that to happen.

Again though I don't think you're meant to crack whether she's lying by analyzing this fact though

You could sort of explain this away as her being REALLY scared, nervous, whatever. I mean, it's almost to the point where she might actually be about to be killed, that poo poo's gotta gently caress with your head.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Oh, well, here's a big one: (to me at least) no one who departed originally left a fossil behind

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

RentACop posted:

Oh, well, here's a big one: (to me at least) no one who departed originally left a fossil behind

But no one who departed originally was encased in a sphere of liquid with metal and radiated away. They just poof disappeared

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

RentACop posted:

because they didn't use the metal and water technique that the scientists came upon to approximate the situation

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
It's Schrodinger's Nora.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Ahh, poo poo, yeah they make a point of saying the liquid solidifies too. Retracted!

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.
I like to think that Nora didn't go to wherever the departed went rather she was transported to a timeline where she became a cop in Minnesota for several years before coming back.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I think The Leftovers....might be the best show HBO has ever produced? It's definitely all time top three overall.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
Just to put the Laurie thing to rest Lindelof said that she's alive. They actually wrote Ep 8 with the idea of her killing herself at the end but when they watched Amy's performance it felt more like she didn't, so they went with that.

quote:

I understand that suicide happens, but there’s going to be ambiguity both surrounding the decision to kill yourself and also to not kill yourself. If Nora had basically said, “Tell me again why you came out of the water,” and Laurie goes, “Nora, we’ve been over this a billion times before, I came out of the water because…,” there’s no good version of that! There just isn’t. I think that when people see that Laurie is alive, my hope is that they go, “What a relief, because it makes more sense to me that she came out of the water than it does that she stayed under it.”

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Lick! The! Whisk! posted:

I think The Leftovers....might be the best show HBO has ever produced? It's definitely all time top three overall.

Still not as good as the Sopranos but it's up there IMO.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Matt Zerella posted:

Still not as good as the Sopranos but it's up there IMO.

I mean...yes, but also no? Sopranos is incredible, but has a fair number of mediocre/bad episodes and plots. TL is 28 episodes of start-to-finish all-time greatest television, and I would argue that their highs are equally as high or maybe even higher for Leftovers. Kevin's return to the hotel in S2 is one of the all-time greatest moments of television, before we even mention his dream in 307.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Lick! The! Whisk! posted:

I mean...yes, but also no? Sopranos is incredible, but has a fair number of mediocre/bad episodes and plots. TL is 28 episodes of start-to-finish all-time greatest television, and I would argue that their highs are equally as high or maybe even higher for Leftovers. Kevin's return to the hotel in S2 is one of the all-time greatest moments of television, before we even mention his dream in 307.

I just finished a complete rewatch and even the bad episodes have some really funny poo poo in them so Imo no, its still tops.

Aexo
May 16, 2007
Don't ask, I don't know how to pronounce my name either.
So did the world Nora visit lose 98% of the population? Or was it a mirror world where the 2% went to? If the former, where did their 98% go to? If the latter, how was there infrastructure already in place?

Chadzok posted:

i want a fourth season where it turns out that because of the machining people back and forth one of the universes starts to die and they go to war with each other and poo poo that would be loving sweet

This is literally a major plot line for Fringe.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Nora's world lost 2%, the other world lost 98%. Same world.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Aexo posted:

So did the world Nora visit lose 98% of the population? Or was it a mirror world where the 2% went to? If the former, where did their 98% go to? If the latter, how was there infrastructure already in place?

Reality branched out, and 98% of people ended up on one branch while 2% ended up on the other branch. Each group saw the other vanish. Both branches of reality have an Earth, an Australia, an America, a Mapleton, etc. The LADR machine can send people from one branch of reality to the other.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
The Vulture piece on the making of the finale is an amazing read. As much detail as you'd ever want to know about the show and how it ended.

http://www.vulture.com/2017/06/leftovers-finale-behind-the-scenes-exclusive.html

This part was interesting:
FIVE REJECTED IDEAS FOR THE ENDING

1. “It’s the end of the season. Oct. 14 comes and goes. There’s a huge massacre. Nora uses the LADR. There is a loud noise and then she kicks open the door and walks onto the street and there is nobody there. She walks until she finds an older couple that is surprised to see her.”
2. “Nora gets vaporized. We break her POV and she’s gone. ‘I guess she believes in us now.’ All the scientists high five. Then Kevin would come two days later and he goes after her. And none of us know if they’re alive or dead.”
3. “Kevin could use the hotel to find Nora if she’s died. Kevin’s shaman journey with Nora or maybe Nora is a shaman in her own right.”
4. “Nora comes through and there is an elderly couple. [They tell her] ‘Here is the deal, you can’t tell anyone that you came from a place where only 2% of the world population disappeared. It will destabilize the harmony. It was rough for a couple of years. Everyone lost everyone, but we have formed new families and new connections … And if we understand from the 84 people that came before you that world is a loving mess.’”
5. “Kevin dies as a martyr. The only way to end your story is to take yourself off the table. Staged crucifix and then you have to go lay low. In this world Kevin is a grief-stricken messiah who is grieving and he never went and followed Nora.”

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.

Aexo posted:

This is literally a major plot line for Fringe.

:thejoke:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

qbert posted:

The Vulture piece on the making of the finale is an amazing read. As much detail as you'd ever want to know about the show and how it ended.

http://www.vulture.com/2017/06/leftovers-finale-behind-the-scenes-exclusive.html

This part was interesting:
FIVE REJECTED IDEAS FOR THE ENDING

1. “It’s the end of the season. Oct. 14 comes and goes. There’s a huge massacre. Nora uses the LADR. There is a loud noise and then she kicks open the door and walks onto the street and there is nobody there. She walks until she finds an older couple that is surprised to see her.”

So, massacre aside, wouldn't this be the same version of what she told Kevin?

Onomarchus
Jun 4, 2005

So do they keep the goat? They keep the goat, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Is there a real life heart condition that would explain all the Kevin shenanigans like appearing to have no pulse or surviving a gun shot? Like some overdeveloped heart muscle or something?

• Locked thread