Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

PostNouveau posted:

Nah, there wasn't a lot of good jokes in this one.

Also, the explicit mention that he didn't use a condom sets up a completely unfunny "the lady at the VC firm finds out she's pregnant and Richard gets all ~wacky~ again because he thinks he's the father" arc.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Jun 5, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Also, the explicit mention that he didn't use a condom sets up a completely unfunny "the lady at the VC firm find out she's pregnant and Richard gets all ~wacky~ again because he thinks he's the father" arc.

I groaned audibly at this bit. Andy Daly always kills though, no exception tonight. Such a cheerful rear end in a top hat.

The Jian Yang/Gilfoyle feud could be interesting.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Gilfoyle's reaction to the smart fridge encapsulates everything wrong with the tech industry. They're not making anything new or innovative and haven't for years. Their "creative" output is either a repackaged version of an old idea, usually with wifi capability or the ability to sync to a computer or smartphone, or an app that's esoteric crap.

Cojawfee posted:

Haven't we had enough of them being poo poo on?
I'd go as far as to say that this was just desserts for Richard. He went to a bunch of app makers, brought up a disgusting frat house ritual to one of them, saw his plan backfire, and ended up paying $2,000 more than if he just swallowed his pride and settled. I will say that the ending was a bit of a dud, though. The episode itself was OK, I thought.

I also disagree with the view that they should come out on top just so that it can happen. Seeing a flawed character- especially when they're lovely or amoral- getting comeuppance for their actions is a TV comedy trope going back to at least Seinfeld. It's funny to see, say, Erlich injuring his leg because he falls off a garage door while installing a basketball backboard so that he can be more "manly" with Ed Chen and the VC gang.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Characters getting what they deserve is nice, but it gets tedious when that's the plot of every episode. The characters getting torn down carries no weight if that's all that ever happens to them.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

PostNouveau posted:

Nah, there wasn't a lot of good jokes in this one.

fight me irl

Jian Yang loving with Erlich, who is fat and poor.

Gilfoyle's misanthropic rant about solutionism.

Anton.

That loving fridge and its B-plot

The buzzer during the Erlich-Chen phonecall.

Jared idealizing Ed Chambers, who shits on Jared.

Chambers getting a pallet of grapefruit La Croix for an amazeballs price

Erlich eating poo poo.

This episode loving ruled.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Cojawfee posted:

Characters getting what they deserve is nice, but it gets tedious when that's the plot of every episode. The characters getting torn down carries no weight if that's all that ever happens to them.
To me, it depends on whether or not it's consistently funny. This one wasn't as much.

One thing I will say- I have no idea where this season is gonna end up. With the first two seasons, you knew there was gonna be some grand climax. Last season, you could tell something was going to happen when the Erlich/Bighead plot came back together with the plot involving the rest of the Pied Piper gang. With this season, though, I'm not sure. It doesn't help that we have no idea how well the Internet 2.0 project is going, when previous episodes revolved around technical snags in their projects. Dealing with a patent troll doesn't pack the same punch. The first three seasons were a steady jog to the finish, but this one feels like it's plodding to the end.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I think the other poster nailed it and we're gonna get a pregnant what's her name in the last episode to torpedo the gangs progress.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Solice Kirsk posted:

I think the other poster nailed it and we're gonna get a pregnant what's her name in the last episode to torpedo the gangs progress.

With it ultimately resulting in her having already having been pregnant by her fiancee (which had her hormones out of whack and why she ended up loving *Richard* of all people), which becomes a problem anyway because Richard will almost certainly find a way to reveal it to him in a 'hilarious' and predictably 'wacky' way, setting them back to square one with no loving hope of funding except maybe Russ.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Accretionist posted:

fight me irl

Jian Yang loving with Erlich, who is fat and poor.

Gilfoyle's misanthropic rant about solutionism.

Anton.

That loving fridge and its B-plot

The buzzer during the Erlich-Chen phonecall.

Jared idealizing Ed Chambers, who shits on Jared.

Chambers getting a pallet of grapefruit La Croix for an amazeballs price

Erlich eating poo poo.

This episode loving ruled.

Eh, none of these really did it for me. I guess Ed Chambers was sorta funny.

They can't all be winners.

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004
if Ed Chambers doesn't make another appearance on the show i'll be mad irl

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

code:
Changelog:
  -- Version 0.2.3 Gilfoyle
     --- Suck it Jin Yang

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Someone please get a gif of the Jin Yang blowjob mime

FeastForCows
Oct 18, 2011
Is there any explanation why this show has so much ADR done? It really sticks out for me and I feel it's done much more than on any other shows I've watched.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Yeah, really would've liked them to take Ed Chambers further.

FeastForCows posted:

Is there any explanation why this show has so much ADR done? It really sticks out for me and I feel it's done much more than on any other shows I've watched.
All the private jets flying overhead?

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
You guys just need to ignore all the false outrage that plagues the internet these days.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

tarlibone posted:

How about we replace TJ with Jason Mantzoukas?

Hell, have some fun with it. Just have Mantzoukas come out playing Erlich, and doing it in his own style. Never explain the change. Go straight-up soap opera on it!

Except Jason Mantzoukas is Russ Hanneman. At least the characters he typically plays in tv shows like the league and parks and rec.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
So did we just witness Chekhov's expired yogurt?

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Troy Queef posted:

someone on AV Club pointed out that the patent lawyer had a box of Flutie Flakes on his bookshelf--and if you either hate football or aren't from Western New York, all the proceeds from the sale of Flutie Flakes went to benefit kids with autism, as Doug Flutie's kid is autistic.

yes, he's that big of a dick to sue a charity initiative. (also Flutie Flakes were pretty tasty.)

I think the thing that proves he's that big of a dick isn't just the fact that he's got Flutie Flakes on his wall or on his shelf... it's the fact that his home office is a trophy room at all. Because that's exactly what it is. Everything on the wall is something he's used litigious assholery to profit from. You know how the worst hunters, or at least the ones who are portrayed in movies as being the worst, always have trophy rooms like that, with stuffed bears and heads on the wall? This is the attorney equivalent. That he jokes that Stevie Wonder "didn't see [the lawsuit] coming" is just the corn kernel on the soft serve poo poo sundae.

What a truly despicable character.

My problem with the episode was the rather predictable nature of the lawsuit plot. I knew from the moment the lawsuit was handed to him that he'd fight it even though it would clearly benefit him not to do so. And, when he organized that group of app creators, I knew immediately that they'd pre-emptively settle with Counselor Sues-a-lot, which would raise the price to Richard. The only thing I didn't see coming was that they didn't let that fester for a few episodes--Richard used his brains to bullshit his way out of trouble. And him doing that was really surprising to me because, well, he is caught so often carrying the idiot ball having him do something smart (not to mention something that works exactly the way he planned it) is conspicuous.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I want Jin Yang to win.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

FeastForCows posted:

I noticed that a lot this episode. Very distracting. And it was when people weren't facing camera so it felt more like they needed some story cleanup/clarification rather than a recording problem.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

emanresu tnuocca posted:

So did we just witness Chekhov's expired yogurt?

That's a weird thing to call Richard's jizz but I'll allow it.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

BIG HEADLINE posted:

With it ultimately resulting in her having already having been pregnant by her fiancee (which had her hormones out of whack and why she ended up loving *Richard* of all people), which becomes a problem anyway because Richard will almost certainly find a way to reveal it to him in a 'hilarious' and predictably 'wacky' way, setting them back to square one with no loving hope of funding except maybe Russ.

What if they mirror Steve Jobs' illegitimate kid and Richard denies paternity despite his mounting success and wealth

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

EugeneJ posted:

What if they mirror Steve Jobs' illegitimate kid and Richard denies paternity despite his mounting success and wealth

He'd need some mounting success and wealth for that to come to fruition and the writers are dead set on not letting that happen. We need more Bighead in these episodes.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
the little jokes like jian yang telling gilfoyle "you spell my name wrong" make me lose it

also "goldfoyle" from a few episodes ago

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

sometimes it's a wheat thin

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

There's gotta be some joke in there about everyone ordering whatever the fridge suggests, leading to a huge bill that will undoubtedly get placed in Erlich's lap.

victorious
Jul 2, 2007

As a youth I prayed, "Give me chastity and continence, but not yet."

Fullhouse posted:

sometimes it's a wheat thin

The delivery of this line was incredible.

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.
I hope Ed Chambers eventually saves the day somehow. That gag deserved more.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

I eat that fucker's lunch every day. No, I actually eat his food!

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

victorious posted:

The delivery of this line was incredible.

Zach Woods is the single greatest part of SV. Like, I might be sad if some of the others ended up going... but I'd refuse to watch anymore if he left.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

BonoMan posted:

Zach Woods is the single greatest part of SV. Like, I might be sad if some of the others ended up going... but I'd refuse to watch anymore if he left.

Him and Jimmy O. Yang are really the breakout stars

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

Respectable Bespectacled Receptacle
I'm still partial to Gilfoyle/Dinesh being sharing the best spot with their back and forth but there hasn't been as much of that in the last few episodes. Jared is great all the time though.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Gilfoyle was under used for a bit there but has found new life messing with Jian Yang.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo

priznat posted:

Gilfoyle was under used for a bit there but has found new life messing with Jian Yang.
Jian Yang should win.

Jared flat out explaining Gilfoyle's motivations to Richard only made me realize I want to see Gilfoyle knocked off his high horse more.

Like, have him realize he's just like Dinesh.

Brick Card
Oct 12, 2008

Better by far you should forget and smile than that you should remember and be sad.

FeastForCows posted:

I've noticed it since the first season. It's especially noticeable when you have headphones on. It's like the writers keep writing the episode well into the editing process.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Echo Chamber posted:

Jian Yang should win.

Jared flat out explaining Gilfoyle's motivations to Richard only made me realize I want to see Gilfoyle knocked off his high horse more.

Like, have him realize he's just like Dinesh.

Yeah Jian Yang will definitely win and then he spells Gilfoyle's name wrong for the coup de grace.

Jared really is the best regular on the show, I agree with y'all. They can mine his backstory for pathos mixed with hilarity so effortlessly.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
gilfoyle has never been a good character. he's edgy dilbert. he's daria meets dennis the menace.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Gilfoyle is best when he's trading verbal barbs with Dinesh. But there hasn't been a lot of that this season.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

BonoMan posted:

His character in The Office was pretty bad, and even then he had some really good moments. He's been delightful in everything else I've seen him in, like The League.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Gabe ruled in The Office. I liked the whole "what if Smithers sucked at his job?" thing they had going for him.

• Locked thread