Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

mcmagic posted:

LOL @ that 10 point swing from Gallup to Ras.

And that it adds up to 102%

note: I am not a statistician and know only enough to do my own job when it's needed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Ralepozozaxe posted:

Trump just isn't able to handle Khans.

I hope he spends a few minutes in the ring with Amir Kahn

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

mcmagic posted:

LOL @ that 10 point swing from Gallup to Ras.

Rasmussen is a bad joke. America is the punchline.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

ReidRansom posted:

Really though what's wrong with Qatar? Aside from the slavery thing.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

theflyingorc posted:

It should be pointed out that Trump's basically at historic lows right now, if you look at the aggregate:

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/trump-approval-ratings/

He sorta appears to be on a plateau right now, but given how poorly he handles every single thing that happens I just don't see an easy path for him to go up. 55% disapprove in June of his first year is real bad

Yeah, but his ratings haven't actually fallen very far :downs:

http://www.npr.org/2017/06/03/531088285/trump-s-approval-rate-decline-is-nothing-compared-to-other-presidents

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Saudi Arabia obviously isn't mad at Qatar about that though, don't be obtuse.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Pikavangelist posted:

Boris Johnson and Trumpy are literally the exact same human being, and you can't convince me otherwise.

Boris was born in the US.

Prepare yourself for a third President Johnson.

AstheWorldWorlds
May 4, 2011

orange sky posted:

Oh no, this keg involves much more than international business dealings.

You're gonna privatize everything that wasn't as of yet privatized these 4 years. And you'll never get all that poo poo back. Never. The US people won't react well to the word "nationalize", once it's gone it's gone.

And you're gonna do it for everything. Maritime and air traffic control, pensions, probably everything related to VA, roads, parks..

Everything is hosed in the USA, it doesn't really take much prescience to get that. Even with a best case scenario of an impeachment you have Mike Pence to look forward too. And then Paul Ryan.

I think a more sober assessment of the American republic would show a consistent long term drift into right wing government and corporate domination. Any concessions made to the people just don't stack up against an almost linear increase in capitalist class domination and the significant advantages our conservative factions/right wing enjoy.

We're at the point where this becomes more obvious due to the fullness of time, but that is also the point of no return imo.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

ReidRansom posted:

Really though what's wrong with Qatar? Aside from the slavery thing. I've been to Doha, it was alright. And Qatar Airways is tits. They run AJ and it's always been pretty solid. What's the beef all of a sudden?
"Aside from that, Mrs. Lincoln, how was the show?"

Total Party Kill
Aug 25, 2005

With this morning's tweets the only two logical conclusions anyone can come to are that trump wants to be impeached (because his ego cannot allow him to quit and he HATES this job) or that he has a severe mental illness and should be removed from office.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

ReidRansom posted:

Really though what's wrong with Qatar? Aside from the slavery thing. I've been to Doha, it was alright. And Qatar Airways is tits. They run AJ and it's always been pretty solid. What's the beef all of a sudden?

Aside from that, how was the play, Mrs. Lincoln?

e: gently caress

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Sinteres posted:

Saudi Arabia obviously isn't mad at Qatar about that though, don't be obtuse.

That doesn't make the sentence any less cringeworthy

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

AstheWorldWorlds posted:

I think a more sober assessment of the American republic would show a consistent long term drift into right wing government and corporate domination. Any concessions made to the people just don't stack up against an almost linear increase in capitalist class domination and the significant advantages our conservative factions/right wing enjoy.

We're at the point where this becomes more obvious in the fullness of time, but that is also the point of no return imo.

trump is not very pro-corporate, and is hastening the exodus of educated whites into the democratic party (which was counteracted by the exodus of poor whites from the democratic party in 2016)

he has an alliance with the remaining corporate groups in the republican tent but those are getting more and more nervous and have been increasingly breaking away from republicans

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Yes obviously that's bad. But I mean in regard to the poo poo going on with them, because their neighbors certainly don't care about slave labor either.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Chilichimp posted:

That doesn't make the sentence any less cringeworthy

Thank Christ you got an opportunity to let everyone know slavery is actually bad.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Sinteres posted:

Thank Christ you got an opportunity to let everyone know slavery is actually bad.

Man it wasn't even your post, lighten up, Francis.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Ague Proof posted:

Boris was born in the US.

Prepare yourself for a third President Johnson.

Is that before or after President Sasse?

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

mcmagic posted:

Is that before or after President Sasse?

I would smoke a bowl with President Sasse

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account
I believe Rasmussen is the only outfit that applies likely voter screens to their approval ratings, so I wouldn't dismiss them out of hand.

AstheWorldWorlds
May 4, 2011

evilweasel posted:

trump is not very pro-corporate, and is hastening the exodus of educated whites into the democratic party (which was counteracted by the exodus of poor whites from the democratic party in 2016)

he has an alliance with the remaining corporate groups in the republican tent but those are getting more and more nervous and have been increasingly breaking away from republicans

I'm saying Trump is a symptom of long running trends in the republic that if not somehow corrected will produce the same lovely outcomes for most people and more serious versions of Trump.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Elotana posted:

I believe Rasmussen is the only outfit that applies likely voter screens to their approval ratings, so I wouldn't dismiss them out of hand.

you can, their LV screening is real bad, their predictions are real bad

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

ReidRansom posted:

The best explanation I've seen is that Trump's trip convinced the Saudis he was solidly behind them enough to make this power play in the region. This is about Qatar not falling in line behind the saudis, not anything else. Neither party here is good: the Saudis fund the Wahabbis who officially don't support terrorism but espouse the precise ideology that forments it while displacing moderate muslim ideologies. Qatar funds the Muslim Brotherhood and other groups like that that are terrorist-linked but are (worse, in Saudi eyes) also somewhat in favor of less autocratic states.

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

ReidRansom posted:

Yes obviously that's bad. But I mean in regard to the poo poo going on with them, because their neighbors certainly don't care about slave labor either.

Qatar has been making an effort to keep ties to both sides of the ME cold war between KSA and Iran. They have supported groups like the Muslim Brotherhood and Hamas, which are friendly with Iran and were also the only Gulf state supporting democratic movements during the Arab Spring (outside Gulf States obviously. No need for democracy at home). Basically of the GCC states they are the 'weak link' in Saudi facing off against Iran. They also helped broker the talks between Obama administration and Iran that reopened the Nuclear talks so I think the Saudis generally want to be the only player in the region. Upstarts need to be put in their place.

I can't believe other than this will be traced back to Trump getting all pally with Salman and assuring him that the US wouldn't have a problem with KSA taking action to get Qatar in line. He probably assumed that meant threaten them with a lawsuit and probably didn't realise CENTCOM is in Qatar. I somehow doubt you're going to see an administration reaction to this either because it's a pretty obvious foreign policy gently caress up weeks after his first big foreign trip.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich
E:^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ exactly this

ReidRansom posted:

Yeah I wasn't being obtuse but your post wasn't clear at all.

As for the actual reasons:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iran%E2%80%93Qatar_relations

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

AstheWorldWorlds posted:

I'm saying Trump is a symptom of long running trends in the republic that if not somehow corrected will produce the same lovely outcomes for most people and more serious versions of Trump.

and i'm saying your causes don't match the outcomes, trump isn't really an outgrowth of corporatism and is somewhat of a backlash against it

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

The dichotomy of this thread, people rush to unfunnily point out that a poster said "other than slavery" while other posters answer his question in a clear and concise way.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

evilweasel posted:

and i'm saying your causes don't match the outcomes, trump isn't really an outgrowth of corporatism and is somewhat of a backlash against it

Have you seen his cabinet? He's a perfect outgrowth of modern conservatism. Corporate funded fake populism. He's nothing new.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

mcmagic posted:

Have you seen his cabinet? He's a perfect outgrowth of modern conservatism. Corporate funded fake populism. He's nothing new.

Exactly, we need to stop pretending that Trump isn't the corporeal form of the GOP.

Tac Dibar
Apr 7, 2009

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

This thread moves pretty fast, but take some time to listen to this song because it's really good.

Hey, thanks!

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

evilweasel posted:

The best explanation I've seen is that Trump's trip convinced the Saudis he was solidly behind them enough to make this power play in the region. This is about Qatar not falling in line behind the saudis, not anything else. Neither party here is good: the Saudis fund the Wahabbis who officially don't support terrorism but espouse the precise ideology that forments it while displacing moderate muslim ideologies. Qatar funds the Muslim Brotherhood and other groups like that that are terrorist-linked but are (worse, in Saudi eyes) also somewhat in favor of less autocratic states.

MrNemo posted:

Qatar has been making an effort to keep ties to both sides of the ME cold war between KSA and Iran. They have supported groups like the Muslim Brotherhood and Hamas, which are friendly with Iran and were also the only Gulf state supporting democratic movements during the Arab Spring (outside Gulf States obviously. No need for democracy at home). Basically of the GCC states they are the 'weak link' in Saudi facing off against Iran. They also helped broker the talks between Obama administration and Iran that reopened the Nuclear talks so I think the Saudis generally want to be the only player in the region. Upstarts need to be put in their place.

I can't believe other than this will be traced back to Trump getting all pally with Salman and assuring him that the US wouldn't have a problem with KSA taking action to get Qatar in line. He probably assumed that meant threaten them with a lawsuit and probably didn't realise CENTCOM is in Qatar. I somehow doubt you're going to see an administration reaction to this either because it's a pretty obvious foreign policy gently caress up weeks after his first big foreign trip.

Thank you both. This is what I was trying to ask.

Makes sense.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

mcmagic posted:

that's largely Trump's personal obsession with wealth and his need to strike alliances with the other parts of the Republican coalition to tamper down internal dissent

trump himself has no loyalties to the causes that put him in office, but the driving force behind him wasn't corporatism. many of the things that led to him are outgrowths of the noxious methods conservatism has used to advance its ends - such as railing against education and expertise because facts show conservative economic theories are garbage fit only for mockery - but what put trump over the top in the states that gave him the presidency wasn't corporatism, it was (fake) opposition to it

he is absolutely something new: railing against free trade is very, very new for republicans and fairly anti-corporatist. like, he's governing as a fairly standard republican, but much more incompetent, but he didn't run as one and he didn't get his nomination and election by acting like one

AstheWorldWorlds
May 4, 2011

evilweasel posted:

I think the growing power of corporate influence and the right wing is fairly uncontroversial, even during the New Deal period. I'm not sure how stating that this trend will produce figures like trump as a product of the stresses wealth inequality, right wing policies, and the overwhelming influence of corporate entities place on the republic is inconsistent or contradictory.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

evilweasel posted:

Trump's populism is very... business-y. I'm not really sure of the word that I'm looking for here, but Trump being a rich businessman was a huge part of the cover for his racism and sexism. I don't think someone like him could have actually gotten anywhere without that particular characteristic.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account

theflyingorc posted:

you can, their LV screening is real bad, their predictions are real bad
Their final national poll was Clinton +2 :confused:

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
:qq:

https://twitter.com/thehill/status/871752001109069828

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Paradoxish posted:

Trump's populism is very... business-y. I'm not really sure of the word that I'm looking for here, but Trump being a rich businessman was a huge part of the cover for his racism and sexism. I don't think someone like him could have actually gotten anywhere without that particular characteristic.

i think he used his wealth to suggest he must be incorruptible and competent, both of which are hilariously untrue, but like for part of the republican primary he was running on increasing taxes on the rich, running against free trade, and the racism and sexism was part of his appeal rather than a thing he needed cover for

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

I WILL PUT THIS FLAG ON FREAKING EVERYTHING BECAUSE IT IS SYMBOLIC AS HELL SOMEHOW

Paradoxish posted:

He's the man his voters wish they could be. Trump is just like them, only with, like, a bajillion dollars, which they would also have if it weren't for those drat foreigners and muslims everywhere getting in the way of white real America (TM). He makes the solutions to these very complex problems seem so simple and easy, and his voters are just happy that someone finally gets that the problem isn't institutionalized racism, or classism, or social justice or poverty or climate change or other things they don't care about, but these other issues that (in their minds) have all these simple, broad, and most importantly, powerful solutions.

In short, Glazier has it right.

Glazier posted:

Exactly, we need to stop pretending that Trump isn't the corporeal form of the GOP.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
They're essentially the only statements we get from the White House, so...yes?

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_vault/2013/05/15/cold_war_map_shows_areas_prohibited_to_soviet_travelers_in_the_united_states.html

This map shows where Soviet citizens, who were required to have a detailed itinerary approved before obtaining a visa, could and could not go during their time in the United States. Most ports, coastlines, and weapons facilities were off-limits, as were industrial centers and several cities in the Jim Crow South.

How the gently caress was this supposed to work? Were we just counting on their citizens expecting "Papers, please!" around every street corner and not realizing you could freely travel inside the US?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Meanwhile, Kellyanne's husband -

https://twitter.com/gtconway3d/status/871746245630590980

• Locked thread