Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

psydude posted:

Question about licensing: if I purchase a 2016 license for 16 cores and 2 processors, does that mean I can deploy 16 one-core VMs of 2016?

No, the license is for physical cores.

Data center allows for unlimited vm's, standard allows for 2 vm's

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

The Fool posted:

Interesting. That's irrespective of the hypervisor I'm using, right? So even if I'm deploying it on ESXi and not HyperV, I still get unlimited VMs?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

That's correct.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I would be amazed if there is a deployment of Windows Server where Datacenter licensing doesn't make sense. I mean there might be an edge case of a VM cluster where you only want to run six guests but that's a loving huge up-front hardware investment to do very little with.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

This is for a lab environment so that we can run software and other poo poo for customer-facing demos. It may still be cheaper for us to go with Data center, though.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Is it worth pursuing the MS Partner agreement to get free licensing for internal/demo usage?

https://partner.microsoft.com/en-gb/membership/internal-use-software

https://assets.microsoft.com/en-gb/mpn-maps-software-iur-competency-license-table.pdf

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

The Fool posted:

You can also use multiple standard licenses on a single machine, for instance 3 copies of standard to run 6 vms. I think with pricing the breakoff point was somewhere around six last time I checked.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Zero VGS posted:

You can also use multiple standard licenses on a single machine, for instance 3 copies of standard to run 6 vms. I think with pricing the breakoff point was somewhere around six last time I checked.

Yes, but for each set of 2 VM's you need to pay for all of your physical cores again.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Maybe. I don't see us selling a lot of Microsoft stuff ever, but maybe transactional stuff.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Depends. We're able to run all of our internal stuff on partner grants (we're a gold partner), but the partner grants are moving more towards cloud grants vs on-prem software if that is a big deal to you. You also miss out on a lot of benefits that normally come with volume license versions of the software.

EssOEss
Oct 23, 2006
128-bit approved
I am looking for a Windows Server 2016 unattended installation answer file configuration reference and failing to find anything. Is this part of some hidden SDK? Is it completely undocumented? Latest that I find by googling is for Vista.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

So if I have 3x UCS blades with 2 processors and 6 cores each running in my cluster, how would I license that? Would it be one license per blade, or just one license for 6 processors and 36 cores? Would I need to purchase multiple licenses for 6 processors and 36 cores? Or is it only on the actual number of cores that I plan on using?

e: Or can I just purchase a single Datacenter license for the number of processors and cores that I have in my cluster and go hog wild with deploying VMs?

psydude fucked around with this message at 15:13 on May 19, 2017

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

psydude posted:

So if I have 3x UCS blades with 2 processors and 6 cores each running in my cluster, how would I license that? Would it be one license per blade, or just one license for 6 processors and 36 cores? Would I need to purchase multiple licenses for 6 processors and 36 cores? Or is it only on the actual number of cores that I plan on using?

e: Or can I just purchase a single Datacenter license for the number of processors and cores that I have in my cluster and go hog wild with deploying VMs?

Each node needs to be licensed separately, and needs to be licensed for all vm's in the cluster "In case all but one node fails"

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

I can't conceive of a way to do this, but I'm asking anyway:

I have use for providing a popup to certain users, "Hey rear end in a top hat, friendly reminder that you should hop on the VPN after connecting per your employment agreement."

This client doesn't need to have wifi networks blocked; they just need to provide an (intentionally-annoying) popup every time they join a network.

And yes, the best way to meet the true need of the client would be with an MDM system deployed to their laptops and something like DUO or fleshed-out AD CA infrastructure for client and AP certificates.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

BgInfo with a custom message? Or deploy DirectAccess I guess.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?
Is triggering a Powershell script an option? Powershell can do text popups and text to speach.

Caf
May 21, 2004

I'm King James! The Lion King!

Potato Salad posted:

This client doesn't need to have wifi networks blocked; they just need to provide an (intentionally-annoying) popup every time they join a network.

If there is an event ID that corresponds to connecting to a wireless network you can just run a scheduled task to display a message based on that event.

Edit: Yeah, 8000

EssOEss
Oct 23, 2006
128-bit approved

EssOEss posted:

I am looking for a Windows Server 2016 unattended installation answer file configuration reference and failing to find anything. Is this part of some hidden SDK? Is it completely undocumented? Latest that I find by googling is for Vista.

Found it! Apparently now it is under the hardware category and appears to be invisible to Google or something, so it never shows up in my search results.

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/hardware/commercialize/customize/desktop/unattend/index

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

What's everyone experience with Azure Site Recovery?

And what I am getting myself into with a 100+ VM Migration from VMware to Hyper-V? Not leading it but helping...

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Azure Site Recovery is good as long as you fit the use case nicely - make sure you have a decent idea of your environment and things like virtual disk counts

https://azure.microsoft.com/en-gb/resources/videos/azure-site-recovery-deep-dive/

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

My HR dept decided to go take everyone's picture and are now wanting us to upload these pictures to Active Directory.

I have a file share with ~300 user pictures and we use Office 365. Where do I start with this and can I prevent people from changing their profile picture in Office 365 once we upload it in AD?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

kiwid posted:

My HR dept decided to go take everyone's picture and are now wanting us to upload these pictures to Active Directory.

I have a file share with ~300 user pictures and we use Office 365. Where do I start with this and can I prevent people from changing their profile picture in Office 365 once we upload it in AD?
Set-UserPhoto is the cmdlet you want.

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

anthonypants posted:

Set-UserPhoto is the cmdlet you want.

So do I just set the picture on the user in our on-prem AD and let dirsync do its thing to sync up to o365?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

kiwid posted:

So do I just set the picture on the user in our on-prem AD and let dirsync do its thing to sync up to o365?
No, Set-UserPhoto is an Exchange cmdlet, you would connect to Exchange Online and pass Set-UserPhoto a user and a photo. Here, I googled the words for you and found a link which you can click on: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj218694.aspx

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

anthonypants posted:

No, Set-UserPhoto is an Exchange cmdlet, you would connect to Exchange Online and pass Set-UserPhoto a user and a photo. Here, I googled the words for you and found a link which you can click on: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj218694.aspx

So is there any point in adding the picture to AD?

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

kiwid posted:

So is there any point in adding the picture to AD?

By using Set-UserPhoto you are adding the picture to AD.

Hawzy
Dec 13, 2002

We use O365 and I use a modification of this script:
https://community.spiceworks.com/scripts/show/3179-microsoft-office365-employee-photo-upload-script-powershell

to upload user photos directly to exchange online, storing in AD is pretty useless nowadays IMO. There are a couple people with AD profile pics still and I've only seen them show up in Azure AD.

PUBLIC TOILET
Jun 13, 2009

Is there any ETA for the next major patch of Windows Server 2016? I had a ton of problems with the current version when I was trying to configure a Windows Server Essentials role so I've since had to use Windows Server 2012 R2. No idea why but everything works fine in 2012 R2 but if I attempt the same process on 2016, it's like pulling teeth.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

PUBLIC TOILET posted:

Is there any ETA for the next major patch of Windows Server 2016? I had a ton of problems with the current version when I was trying to configure a Windows Server Essentials role so I've since had to use Windows Server 2012 R2. No idea why but everything works fine in 2012 R2 but if I attempt the same process on 2016, it's like pulling teeth.

1) Patch Tuesday in June
2) What problems, in detail, are you having?

PUBLIC TOILET
Jun 13, 2009

CLAM DOWN posted:

1) Patch Tuesday in June
2) What problems, in detail, are you having?

• Have to disable telemetry, etc. just like Windows 10 (no surprise, whatever.)
  • Adding some NTFS formatted drives in 2016 are, for reasons unknown, unreadable (but the data on them can be read just fine in 2012 R2.) (This may have been a Stablebit DrivePool compatibility issue)
  • The Windows Server Essentials add-in for Windows Server 2016 just flat out doesn't work properly (no known/working fixes on Google, same features work fine in 2012 R2) (Can't remember specifics at this time, but this may be because I was using the Server Core version)
  • No compatible media pack for 2016's Windows Server Essentials (this enables DLNA, certain sharing features, etc. Google searches indicate Microsoft has no plans to ever release a working version for 2016.)
  • Hyper-V from a Windows 10 client workstation will randomly stop remembering how to connect to your 2016 server's Hyper-V system.
  • The "Shared Folders" feature within the Windows Server Essentials Dashboard application installed on a Windows 10 workstation is broken (It won't open the shared folders. Other people have complained about this on Google with no resolution.)
  • Accessing folder shares manually from a Windows 10 workstation on the 2016 server will randomly stop working with an error about no longer having access to them (including the C$ share.)
  • No useful Microsoft documentation on configuring anything really (but there's plenty of 2012 R2 documentation so I presume Microsoft just expects you to use that for 2016)

Those were just some of the things I experienced, mostly within Server 2016 Core. I ended up starting over with Server 2012 R2 and none of those issues were present in that version following the same installation/configuration processes. I should also note this was on a home lab server in a workgroup setting (not a domain.) With that said, I can only assume the majority of my issues were directly related with using the "Core" version without the full GUI. However, I'm now using Server 2012 R2 Core with a Hyper-V VM running Server 2012 R2 GUI and that hasn't had any issues.

PUBLIC TOILET fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Jun 1, 2017

EssOEss
Oct 23, 2006
128-bit approved
Better luck with Windows Server 2018, perhaps? I wouldn't expect any major changes before the big number gets incremented. I have also noticed the total lack of 2016 documentation, though from some recent digging it seems that it is in some regard a discoverability issue - Google might not find it but sometimes the search in Microsoft documentation actually does. Still, rather annoying to always have to double check and wonder "Is this still up to date? If so, why doesn't it say also valid for 2016?"

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

The 2016 documentation is loving hot garbage. You can really tell MS laid off a big chunk of the tech pub dept. I'm doing a PoC with MIM 2016, and half the documentation isn't updated for 2016, or is just plain loving wrong.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
It's bizarre that they're putting more effort into Windows 10 than Server 2016. I thought the time they spent between the Windows 10 RTM and the Server 2016 RTM would have accomplished something, but if they did I don't know what it was.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

And meanwhile documentation for some of the stuff on EMS is excellent.

One Microsoft my rear end, everyone is still doing whatever the gently caress they want on their business unit

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

The whole "One" Company thing is just a fad. It's pretty much going through every F500.

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

Regarding the employee photo uploads again, I wrote this script to run through all the photos but it fails on users who have a last name with an apostrophe, for example: "O'Neal" or "O'Reilly".

Anyone who is better than me at PowerShell know what's up?

https://pastebin.com/qZBpHE5i

orange sky
May 7, 2007

kiwid posted:

Regarding the employee photo uploads again, I wrote this script to run through all the photos but it fails on users who have a last name with an apostrophe, for example: "O'Neal" or "O'Reilly".

Where does it fail? Try catching the error and printing it - https://www.vexasoft.com/blogs/powershell/7255220-powershell-tutorial-try-catch-finally-and-error-handling-in-powershell

Briantist
Dec 5, 2003

The Professor does not approve of your post.
Lipstick Apathy

kiwid posted:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh531527%28v=ws.10%29.aspx

Check the section titled "special characters"

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

kiwid posted:

Post the script

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

anthonypants posted:

Post the script

It's in the pastebin link.

Anyway, I only had two users so I just did them manually. I don't have anyone else I can test with now so gently caress it.