Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC
Carriers in general simply need to be removed till they figure out what they are supposed to do.

This 'hurrrrrr but they can lose all their planes' is small consolation to the guy who is either dead or crippled 3 min into the match

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

MikeC posted:

Carriers in general simply need to be removed till they figure out what they are supposed to do.

This 'hurrrrrr but they can lose all their planes' is small consolation to the guy who is either dead or crippled 3 min into the match

Yeah, but if you gently caress off into a torpedo wall from a DD the same thing can happen.

I only find carriers sort of overwhelmingly offensive to the point I'm briefly thinking "broken mechanics!" at tier IX and X.

At tier IX and X carriers won't be running out of planes, and if you're in a Battleship when a carrier driver decides to focus on you, no matter how good your AA, there is literally no defense.

JacksLibido
Jul 21, 2004

ZombieLenin posted:

Yeah, but if you gently caress off into a torpedo wall from a DD the same thing can happen.

I only find carriers sort of overwhelmingly offensive to the point I'm briefly thinking "broken mechanics!" at tier IX and X.

At tier IX and X carriers won't be running out of planes, and if you're in a Battleship when a carrier driver decides to focus on you, no matter how good your AA, there is literally no defense.

There's a major difference between a dd launching a wall of torps from 10km away that you can: sonar and dodge, use a pubbie to spot and dodge, or to just not go in a straight line and dodge; and a carrier that will cross drop on you from 1km away and completely gently caress you up regardless of what you do.

az
Dec 2, 2005

All Carriers Are Bastards

Cippalippus
Mar 31, 2007

Out for a ride, chillin out w/ a couple of friends. Going to be back for dinner
Dying to DD torps is basically something you choose. You have to be quite dumb or lazy for that to happen.

Carriers, on the other hand, can gently caress you up even if you play perfectly. Granted, there are some counters (staying close to other ships to create an effective AA bubble) but they are not always available.

Edit: on that topic, a Kaga trying to bomb 2 Iowas staying close is pretty funny.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram
When does the Bismarck campaign end and does anyone know how much silver one gets if you already have the Bismarck? I need credits to get a Fiji.

Also, yes this past weekend was terrible. I enjoyed watching someone with their brand spanking new Bismarck get into their first Tier X game. They charged in and promptly died.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013
Because what the games needs is more battleships.
https://worldofwarships-eu.gcdn.co/dcont/fb/image/0fac4c44-49f9-11e7-ab90-ac162d8bc1e4.jpg
https://worldofwarships-eu.gcdn.co/dcont/fb/image/93b7ae90-49de-11e7-a5f3-ac162d8bc1e4.jpg
https://worldofwarships-eu.gcdn.co/dcont/fb/image/554b553e-49df-11e7-9749-ac162d8bc1e4.jpg
https://tof.cx/images/2017/06/05/187f80847efa07e51bf1098363f98855.jpg
https://worldofwarships-eu.gcdn.co/dcont/fb/image/97148dce-49de-11e7-90eb-ac162d8bc1e4.jpg

Rumor has it that they will have a radar.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Battleships sell subs unfortunately; or at least gold and premium time. Given this, I'm honestly surprised that the German, British, and French lines started with cruisers.

Re: DD/Carriers

Yes, you guys are right and things with DDs have gotten a bit better since Wargaming "fixed" stealth firing; however, I stand by what I said earlier.

At lower tiers carriers aren't that annoying. I agree actually that they probably should have never been in the game at all given the fact that carriers were always going to be hard to balance in a naval gun surface combat game.

That ship us sailed though. I don't know how you would fairly "remove them" from the game, or balance them in a way that makes them more appropriate to high tier games.

Edit

What tier is the KGV. I've been curious how they would balance what should be a high tier BB with 14 inch main guns.

ZombieLenin fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Jun 5, 2017

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
It feels really hard to play the cruisers that are in the middle of the pack. Toward the lower end of things, tier 5-ish, you can do pretty OK if you aren't up-tiered. Climbing into 6 and 7...eh. If I play in the open and I'm in something small and compact that can turn a while, I can survive. I can do well. I can evade enough shells and start enough fires that things work out OK.

But in some of the larger, or slower cruisers, I don't know. One salvo that's aimed kind of well, and you're done. If battleships just stop shooting at enemy BBs to target you ( which they do, because they know they'll do a shitload of damage ), they can knock you out somewhat swiftly and go back to doing whatever.

Maybe I am just doing it wrong.

Menelven
Mar 28, 2010

Rumour is a strong word, given we have an in game screenshot of it with radar.

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

Another interesting thing about the Conqueror: its secondary guns are termed "Mine action guns" unlike the rest of the line. Perhaps a special type of secondary ammunition?

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013

ZombieLenin posted:

What tier is the KGV. I've been curious how they would balance what should be a high tier BB with 14 inch main guns.
Shown here as T7 :

Yea BB sells subs...I hope the french DD will be some BB burning monsters, like a whole line of khabarovsk with better range but rubbish torps.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

I want the RN BBs pretty bad, but I can't help but cringe when I see that they might get radar.

az
Dec 2, 2005

I was preparing myself for british bbs with smoke already.

Menelven
Mar 28, 2010

Triggerhappypilot posted:

Another interesting thing about the Conqueror: its secondary guns are termed "Mine action guns" unlike the rest of the line. Perhaps a special type of secondary ammunition?

Apparently it's a translation issue. They're normal DPs according to others.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Ice Fist posted:

I want the RN BBs pretty bad, but I can't help but cringe when I see that they might get radar.

I'm actually ok with that if it's short-ranged.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

Short ranged, I can live with.

Probably.

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe
Kind of wish they would introduce a secondary skill similar to Def Fore but for surface contacts. Would be a good fit for Brit BBs, push the close in brawl idea they want. And having a MOAR DAKKA button would be fun.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

It feels really hard to play the cruisers that are in the middle of the pack. Toward the lower end of things, tier 5-ish, you can do pretty OK if you aren't up-tiered. Climbing into 6 and 7...eh. If I play in the open and I'm in something small and compact that can turn a while, I can survive. I can do well. I can evade enough shells and start enough fires that things work out OK.

But in some of the larger, or slower cruisers, I don't know. One salvo that's aimed kind of well, and you're done. If battleships just stop shooting at enemy BBs to target you ( which they do, because they know they'll do a shitload of damage ), they can knock you out somewhat swiftly and go back to doing whatever.

Maybe I am just doing it wrong.

Cruisers are hard mode. With that said some of the tools that cruisers get make them immensely dangerous and capable of absurd amounts of carrying. However, the skill floor is quite high, relative to a DD or BB (IMO), but their ceiling is also higher because of the aforementioned tool set.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]

rex rabidorum vires posted:

Cruisers are hard mode. With that said some of the tools that cruisers get make them immensely dangerous and capable of absurd amounts of carrying. However, the skill floor is quite high, relative to a DD or BB (IMO), but their ceiling is also higher because of the aforementioned tool set.

I practically only play cruisers, and am only so-so with battleships. I mean, cruisers have a lot going against them, and they are definitely the weakest of the 3 main ship classes, but I don't think all of them are necessarily hard mode.

That said I actually think the skill ceiling is higher for destroyers given what most destroyer captains have to do, and you are super vulnerable to other destroyer captains who play better than you.

az
Dec 2, 2005

Listening in to someone playing against Kaga's on discord made me take a look and just lol

US

EU

edit: kaga holding top wr on both servers, 5th highest damage before both t8s. sidenote, no american carrier except for the saipan has a postitive wr on either server.

az fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Jun 5, 2017

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

The Ultimate Kaga deal is actually a relatively reasonable one for once. $15 extra is not all that much extra compared to the base cost, and the doubloons alone are worth more than that.

On another note, with most of the upcoming scenarios apparently requiring divisions to get into, I suppose I should finally get around to joining one of the US goon clans if I can. I'll probably hop on Discord at some point in the near future for more details, but just curious if there are slots open at the moment.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man

On one hand, Kaga is one of those ships I want for purely historical reasons. On the other, I hate playing carriers and I hate playing against carriers.

Also I kind of want a Hood but I really need to watch my wallet.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]

Sperglord Actual posted:

On one hand, Kaga is one of those ships I want for purely historical reasons. On the other, I hate playing carriers and I hate playing against carriers.

Also I kind of want a Hood but I really need to watch my wallet.

Yeah, I have a Saipan I never play. I think I will pass. I also feel the same about Hood, but the price for what you get actually makes that decision rather easy.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
The Kaga's WR might be artificially high right now because the sort of player who buys one is playing it INSTEAD of the Saipan currently, and the Saipan counters Kaga very well.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

kaesarsosei posted:

The Kaga's WR might be artificially high right now because the sort of player who buys one is playing it INSTEAD of the Saipan currently, and the Saipan counters Kaga very well.
Yeah IIRC the last time someone posted the asia server stats (where it's been out for longer) it has a sub 50% WR. I'd check but phone posting atm.

Cippalippus
Mar 31, 2007

It actually needs more battleships, since we have 3 battleship lines and 6 cruiser lines. I mostly play cruisers, but that doesn't mean we don't need diversity.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

No torpedoes on the Nelson. Uninstalling. :colbert:

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Cippalippus posted:

It actually needs more battleships, since we have 3 battleship lines and 6 cruiser lines. I mostly play cruisers, but that doesn't mean we don't need diversity.

It does need more battleships but it needs less battleship players.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:
So loving ready for KGV at T7

Also I hope the premium version is the Price of Wales so I can make a Price of Whales joke

Cippalippus
Mar 31, 2007

orange juche posted:

It does need more battleships but it needs less battleship players.

I enjoy battleships gameplay. 5 battleships per side, as it seems that the cap is, makes games interesting. If there were more cruisers around, there would be less destroyers: a good cruiser piloted by a good player is virtually unkillable for a DD.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC
Cruisers are definitely hard mode in that you can't gently caress up ever. But the reward is that they actually straight up are the best DPS in the game by a large margin and most cruiers lines retain the ability to ambush and 1 shot BBs at close range with torps. Especially strong a re some of the bastard fire starting ones that also can give themselves concealment (cough Belfast/Kutuzov cough).

It also is imo a lot of fun but requires constant attention. You can't just be like, oh well, nose tank at med long range and still expect to rack up damage like in a BB. While I main German BBs, I definitely have enjoyed my time doing German cruisers on the side minus Yorck.

edit: RN BB TX. Only 8 guns? I know they are big guns but thats less than even the Yamato. Whats the corresponding strength?

ZombieLenin posted:

At lower tiers carriers aren't that annoying. I agree actually that they probably should have never been in the game at all given the fact that carriers were always going to be hard to balance in a naval gun surface combat game.

That ship us sailed though. I don't know how you would fairly "remove them" from the game, or balance them in a way that makes them more appropriate to high tier games.

My personal idea is to make Torp bombers a lot less attractive by doing something drastic like halfing or thirding their HP and give their torps double range and have them fire a spread like ship borne Torps. Historically, Torp bombers had it rough with AA and don't drop at point blank range, in formation to making walls of torpedoes. They usually had to duck and weave, drop at a considerable range to not commit suicide. Airborne torpedo hit rates were not great historically. Allow manual drops at all levels so if you want to go for that suicide run, your planes will probably all die before they all drop and even if they do drop, its a dodgable spread at some range rather than an interpenetrate wall.

In the meantime, buff DBs by making them immune to surface borne AA until they make their drops and then they are only vulnerable for a few seconds before only fighters can attack them again. Basically turn them into infinite range firestarters and slow but steady DPS that will have staying power throughout the game.

MikeC fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Jun 5, 2017

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?

az posted:

All Carriers Are Bastards

I had one last night that was sneaky as gently caress. He torped the poo poo out of me with a stacked drop, but fortunately I didn't flood. He then hit me with two dive bomber waves, and got a fire.

So, I repaired, and counted my blessings.

Then one of the dive bombers that had been flying off came back and hit me with two fires.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Evil_Greven posted:

I had one last night that was sneaky as gently caress. He torped the poo poo out of me with a stacked drop, but fortunately I didn't flood. He then hit me with two dive bomber waves, and got a fire.

So, I repaired, and counted my blessings.

Then one of the dive bombers that had been flying off came back and hit me with two fires.

Yeah the DB juke is a powerful tool.

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Because the goof is all mine.
I'm glad that when I come back after not playing for a year or so that the exact same issues with carriers still exist

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Here's another new battleship on the way

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Jun 6, 2017

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man

Ugly.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

That just looks glorious.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
On the subject of cruisers, I hit the Myoko. I'm still losing but they're 90,000k+ losses. :v: Good solid CL, lot of fun.

Also grabbed the New Mexico, and I am not a huge fan. When I get low-tiered I can use my AP to smash everything. When I'm high-tiered, I bounce. A lot. Not a fan of the dispersion or its slow speed, either. It feels like I should be shooting HE more than I do, but I'm just so used to AP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man

Minenfeld! posted:

That just looks glorious.

Glorious didn't look like someone tried to model it after a goblin shark. :v: