Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012

esperterra posted:

Well, I know Marie Avergopolous is like two or three years older than me, so I'll go with her.

Our Greek genes keep us young.

Well you are right.
Actor playing Bellamy is even older, but he doesn't count as being sub18 as officially he wasn't part of the 100.

As for the prisoner ship : I really hope they aren't going to introduce the original prisoners who have been napping for the past 100 years, just to obviously break out and behave like gangbangers.
But.... yeah they're totally going to do that aren't they?

Kind of funny they that it is logical that the prisoner ship lands just right next to Clarke, instead of like ANYWHERE else on the planet. Just a minute earlier Clarke said Raven should aim for the small green patch, as the rest of the planet is Fubar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Evernoob posted:

Well you are right.
Actor playing Bellamy is even older, but he doesn't count as being sub18 as officially he wasn't part of the 100.

As for the prisoner ship : I really hope they aren't going to introduce the original prisoners who have been napping for the past 100 years, just to obviously break out and behave like gangbangers.
But.... yeah they're totally going to do that aren't they?

Kind of funny they that it is logical that the prisoner ship lands just right next to Clarke, instead of like ANYWHERE else on the planet. Just a minute earlier Clarke said Raven should aim for the small green patch, as the rest of the planet is Fubar.

It kinda make sense, I guess, considering that isle seems to be the only place in the planet that wanst ravaged by the huge radiation wave of death, for some reason

INH5
Dec 17, 2012
Error: file not found.
Also Clarke was beaming a radio message into space every day, and the prison ship could have easily homed in on that. I highly doubt anyone else was making any broadcasts from the Earth's surface.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
What I cant understand is how and why that isle survived the "prymefyra". Was that explained somehow?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
For the same reasons melting down nuclear power plants turn into continent spanning plumes of fire.

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003
It's funny how the distance to that island shrank from a half-a-season long quest through all kinds of poo poo to a half a day ride.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

BabyFur Denny posted:

It's funny how the distance to that island shrank from a half-a-season long quest through all kinds of poo poo to a half a day ride.

They didn't have a car the first time around.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

INH5 posted:

Also Clarke was beaming a radio message into space every day, and the prison ship could have easily homed in on that. I highly doubt anyone else was making any broadcasts from the Earth's surface.

I find it really implausible that there are no other surviving people out there in the entire world.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
AFAIK the grounders + the Ark survivors were already the last humans on earth, even before the primefyra

The grounders survived because Becca came to them and gave them nightblood, while the Ark people survived because they were on space. Apart from that, everyone else died (except Mount Weather people, who survived only by stealing blood from the grounders)

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
Wasn't there a shot this season of some lady getting nuclear toasted in Egypt? So there was at least one person there briefly!

INH5
Dec 17, 2012

Boris Galerkin posted:

I find it really implausible that there are no other surviving people out there in the entire world.

Regardless of whether or not anyone else survived Primefaya (and we can't really answer that question without knowing exactly where the inhabitable 4% of Earth's surface is), the Ark didn't pick up any radio transmissions from Earth for 97 years, so it seems highly unlikely that anyone besides Clarke would suddenly start broadcasting now. Or at least broadcasting with enough power to reach orbital altitudes.

misguided rage posted:

Wasn't there a shot this season of some lady getting nuclear toasted in Egypt? So there was at least one person there briefly!

I'd really like to know what was up with that, if they do go with the idea that the Grounders were only able to survive on the surface because of something Becca did. When I first saw that episode, I thought that the show was still going with the natural selection idea from Season 2, in which case it made perfect sense that people elsewhere would have evolved to survive too. But there have been enough hints that the Grounders are descended from Second Dawn people who survived in Cadogan's doomsday bunker before meeting Becca that I've started to wonder.

I mean, even if some people did decide to sail to the Old World for some reason, why would they go to Egypt of all places? Three entirely abandoned continents, and they decide to go live in a desert?

Not to mention other questions like: Why don't the Grounders remember how their ancestors survived? How are there so drat many of them after just 97 years, especially if they didn't have access to modern medicine for most of that time? How colossally mismanaged does a cult have to be to schism into 12 warring factions in less than a century, and how did a cult that badly run manage to secretly build such a large bunker in the first place?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
There's probably bunkers all over the world but they can't handle the radiation and they have no Arkers (that we know of) to steal bone marrow from.

How many Ark stations are unaccounted for?

INH5
Dec 17, 2012

Rhyno posted:

There's probably bunkers all over the world but they can't handle the radiation and they have no Arkers (that we know of) to steal bone marrow from.

How many Ark stations are unaccounted for?

IF Mount Weather is anything to go by, if other bunkers didn't have any Grounders to steal blood from, they'd be dead by now.

As for Ark stations, I believe that Alpha, Mecha, Factory, and Farm have all been accounted for, which leave 8 stations. But even if they managed to survive reentry and landing, unless they managed to stumble on another bunker or land in the 4% of Earth's surface that Praimfaya didn't kill, they're almost certainly dead now too.

INH5 fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Jun 1, 2017

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Mount Weather only needed Grounders to go outside, they were fine inside so there could be plenty of jerks all over the globe.

And those other Ark stations might have landed and found such bunkers and also survived.

INH5
Dec 17, 2012

Rhyno posted:

Mount Weather only needed Grounders to go outside, they were fine inside so there could be plenty of jerks all over the globe.

From 2x06:

Dante Wallace to Jasper: After what happened to Maya I'm sure it won't come as a surprise to you to learn we're not entirely safe here. Mount Weather wasn't built to last this long. Over time trace amounts of radiation seep inside. The breach in the dorm is an extreme example. We have methods for dealing with this but frankly, those methods pale compared to what we saw with you and Maya.

The "methods" that Dante refers to are, of course, the Grounders in cages.

INH5 fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Jun 1, 2017

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
That's Mt Weather, built by blue collar lazy Americans. The Japanese version has like quadruple airtight redundancies and it 4 times further beneath the earth.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

INH5 posted:

Regardless of whether or not anyone else survived Primefaya (and we can't really answer that question without knowing exactly where the inhabitable 4% of Earth's surface is), the Ark didn't pick up any radio transmissions from Earth for 97 years, so it seems highly unlikely that anyone besides Clarke would suddenly start broadcasting now. Or at least broadcasting with enough power to reach orbital altitudes.

I'd really like to know what was up with that, if they do go with the idea that the Grounders were only able to survive on the surface because of something Becca did. When I first saw that episode, I thought that the show was still going with the natural selection idea from Season 2, in which case it made perfect sense that people elsewhere would have evolved to survive too. But there have been enough hints that the Grounders are descended from Second Dawn people who survived in Cadogan's doomsday bunker before meeting Becca that I've started to wonder.

I mean, even if some people did decide to sail to the Old World for some reason, why would they go to Egypt of all places? Three entirely abandoned continents, and they decide to go live in a desert?

Not to mention other questions like: Why don't the Grounders remember how their ancestors survived? How are there so drat many of them after just 97 years, especially if they didn't have access to modern medicine for most of that time? How colossally mismanaged does a cult have to be to schism into 12 warring factions in less than a century, and how did a cult that badly run manage to secretly build such a large bunker in the first place?

But natural selection doesn't work like that. You don't "evolve" over the course of 97 years or approximately 3-4 generations (and I'm being really generous here).

None of this show makes sense if you really try to think about it. It's alright enough to not think about it too much though since it's entertaining. It does mean though that no real discussion about the world can be had since none of it makes sense.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Boris Galerkin posted:

But natural selection doesn't work like that. You don't "evolve" over the course of 97 years or approximately 3-4 generations (and I'm being really generous here).

But that's exactly how the arkers are supposed to have developed their radiation resistance, inst it?

INH5 posted:

That never made any sense

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

I just change the 100 years post-nuclear war into like, 300-500 years. Makes slightly more sense, but most of the time you just gotta chock it all up to ~*TV magic*~

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Rhyno posted:

And those other Ark stations might have landed and found such bunkers and also survived.

That is the beauty of the premise. Even after we spend a season or two fighting Space Austrailian Convicts, they can keep finding OTHER long lost bunkers around the world, full of random dicks. :cool:

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

This show has always had reverse Bethesda Fallout syndrome. Not enough time has passed for Grounders being tribal to make sense, unless ALIE 2.0 regressed them purposefully to avoid technology running rampant. Bethesda Fallout is so many years past the nukes they should be rebuilding (and were rebuilding in FO2, it's just ignored in 3-4) but everything is shanty towns.

It's an annoyance, but doesn't ruin the show for me. Seems the writers just wanted it to be 100 years later when the 100 went down so it all ties into the title. Lame, but w/e.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

In news that doesn't bode well for Kane, Henry Ian Cusick has joined the cast of Marvel's Inhumans. Its not a guarantee that he's gone as Inhumans is a limited series that's only 8 episodes. On the other hand we're coming up on the time that The 100 films their seasons so...

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

muscles like this! posted:

In news that doesn't bode well for Kane, Henry Ian Cusick has joined the cast of Marvel's Inhumans. Its not a guarantee that he's gone as Inhumans is a limited series that's only 8 episodes. On the other hand we're coming up on the time that The 100 films their seasons so...

Isn't Inhumans nearly finished though? I wouldn't get worried yet.

INH5
Dec 17, 2012

Boris Galerkin posted:

Not necessarily. Evolution can work very fast if the selection pressure is strong enough. The Black Death had a permanent impact on European immune system genes even though it came and went within a century.

Now, I agree the Arkers evolving that fast doesn't make sense, because this level of selection pressure generally leaves a lot of dead bodies, and while we know that there were a lot of dead bodies on the ground ("The Grounders who couldn't survive in the radiation didn't..."), there's no mention of any mass die offs on the Ark. If there had been, it's hard to see how the Ark could have survived.

Not that any of this matters in terms of realism, because nothing could survive prolonged exposure to levels of radiation that can kill a human in minutes, so even if the Grounders could survive on the surface because of magic nightblood or whatever, all of the plants and other animals would be dead and you'd basically end up with Cormac McCarthy's The Road.

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012

Johnny Truant posted:

I just change the 100 years post-nuclear war into like, 300-500 years. Makes slightly more sense, but most of the time you just gotta chock it all up to ~*TV magic*~

It's 300 years in the books anyways, why the writers insisted on making it 97 years for the series is beyond me.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Rhyno posted:

Isn't Inhumans nearly finished though? I wouldn't get worried yet.

Inhumans is filming its finale right now. It's not going to be a problem, yeah.

INH5
Dec 17, 2012

Sensenmann posted:

It's 300 years in the books anyways, why the writers insisted on making it 97 years for the series is beyond me.

The most likely explanation is that they had very different plans for the Grounders when they wrote the Pilot script (an early draft of the script that is available online strongly implies that the Grounders are descended from people who survived inside Mount Weather, like in the books) and they changed the timeline for unrelated reasons. Maybe they thought it was more plausible that the Ark would manage to survive for a century rather than 3.

On the other hand, the aforementioned early draft of the Pilot script said that the Ark had a founding population of 400 and a current population of just over 4000, after a strictly enforced one-child policy has been in place for at least 18 years. Those numbers aren't impossible, but they would require population growth rates that are in real life only found among groups that have both traditional agricultural lifestyles and access to modern medicine (like the Amish and the inhabitants of some developing countries), so they would be a lot more plausible with another century or two added to the timeline. So I have no idea.

Leaving that aside, the decisions they made after writing the Pilot are still pretty baffling. In particular, it's obvious that Trigedasleng is something they came up in between the first 2 seasons, as during Season 1 the Grounders always speak English even when there aren't any Sky People in earshot. Considering how expensive creating and implementing a conlang must be (you have to pay a linguist to create it, then teach it to the actors, then presumably have to shoot more takes due to actors screwing up the lines), it's kind of amazing that someone decided to create one for a show where it made perfect sense for everyone to speak English.

INH5 fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Jun 3, 2017

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

INH5 posted:

Not necessarily. Evolution can work very fast if the selection pressure is strong enough. The Black Death had a permanent impact on European immune system genes even though it came and went within a century.

Now, I agree the Arkers evolving that fast doesn't make sense, because this level of selection pressure generally leaves a lot of dead bodies, and while we know that there were a lot of dead bodies on the ground ("The Grounders who couldn't survive in the radiation didn't..."), there's no mention of any mass die offs on the Ark. If there had been, it's hard to see how the Ark could have survived.

Not that any of this matters in terms of realism, because nothing could survive prolonged exposure to levels of radiation that can kill a human in minutes, so even if the Grounders could survive on the surface because of magic nightblood or whatever, all of the plants and other animals would be dead and you'd basically end up with Cormac McCarthy's The Road.

They've said in season 2 that the original arkers were genetically engineered/modified to survive cosmic radiation in space and all their descendents have inherited these modifications. It's why the mountain vampires wanted their spinal fluids.

INH5
Dec 17, 2012

Raspberry Jam It In Me posted:

They've said in season 2 that the original arkers were genetically engineered/modified to survive cosmic radiation in space and all their descendents have inherited these modifications. It's why the mountain vampires wanted their spinal fluids.

The show keeps flip-flopping on this. In the Season 2 premiere, Dante Wallace says that the Arkers evolved to survive space radiation and that's why they can survive on the ground, but then in 2x11 Clarke has a line about how the Arkers were genetically engineered but the Mountain Men weren't that comes out of nowhere and is never elaborated upon. Then in the first episode of Season 4, Raven says that Arkers can survive "yellow" radiation levels because they adapted to space conditions, but then in a later episode during a barely audible conversation between Abby and Jackson, Abby says something like "Nice of [Becca] to share [nightblood] with our ancestors on the Ark," and I'm really not sure if that line was supposed to be sarcastic or not.

It really feels like this is something that the writers have had a bunch of arguments about but have never come to an agreement on.

Regardless, one thing that is pretty weird in retrospect is that Season 4 never showed the Arkers as better able to resist radiation/black rain than Grounders, even though them being more resistant to radiation than the Grounders, for whatever reason, is behind the entire plot of Season 2.

INH5 fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Jun 3, 2017

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!
Seems like you can assume they get some sort of gene therapy, either in vitro or after, to help with radiation exposure. Would help explain the discrepancy between being engineered and being adapted/evolved to it. Especially considering you're taking the words of someone with a medical background (Clarke) versus engineering background (Raven) and they'd presumably have a different view on the nature of just what is done.

More than likely, even this is overthinking it further than the writers have at any single time given this is the same show with, you know, a giant nuclear deathwave flowing over the entire planet.

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

I just binged season 4 yesterday. And I'm seeing surprisingly little speculation on where this random nightblood child came from.

Could she be Clarke's kid? Maybe she was a few months preggo from her brief moment with Bellamy in season 2 (I don't know time spans on this show. Seems like not too long ago) and wasn't showing when the nuke wave occurred. Now 6 years later she has this nearly 6 year old kid.

Unless she immediately started wandering the landscape after the wave and finds this baby in a cave surrounded by her dead parents.

Or it's a Becca clone she found in some cryo tube.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

latinotwink1997 posted:

I just binged season 4 yesterday. And I'm seeing surprisingly little speculation on where this random nightblood child came from.

Could she be Clarke's kid? Maybe she was a few months preggo from her brief moment with Bellamy in season 2 (I don't know time spans on this show. Seems like not too long ago) and wasn't showing when the nuke wave occurred. Now 6 years later she has this nearly 6 year old kid.

Unless she immediately started wandering the landscape after the wave and finds this baby in a cave surrounded by her dead parents.

I thought the kid looked more then 6 years old but maybe I'm wrong. Figured the only people she could find alive would be any other nightbloods floating around out there that didn't know it yet.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Zebulon posted:

Especially considering you're taking the words of someone with a medical background (Clarke) versus engineering background (Raven) and they'd presumably have a different view on the nature of just what is done.

Let's be realistic, we're talking about TV scientists/engineers here. Clarke (don't you mean her mother?) primarily has a medical background but this means that she's also a pseudo expert in unrelated things like engineering, quantum mechanics, and gardening. Raven is an engineer, but it also means she studied medicine and biology to the same level as Einstein did physics.

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!

Boris Galerkin posted:

Let's be realistic, we're talking about TV scientists/engineers here. Clarke (don't you mean her mother?) primarily has a medical background but this means that she's also a pseudo expert in unrelated things like engineering, quantum mechanics, and gardening. Raven is an engineer, but it also means she studied medicine and biology to the same level as Einstein did physics.

I know Abby is the full on doctor/medic, but Clarke's shown a fair bit of knowledge in the same areas, presumably having picked it up from her mom. A fair point regarding how every single specialist in a TV show is a super-polymath though.

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

latinotwink1997 posted:

Doesnt make sense that its her baby and speaking the grounder language. Why wouldnt she just speak her natural tongue to her own child if they're the only survivors

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Also, kid was pretty old for a 6 year old.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Just chiming in with one episode left to watch. It's like they forgot to fill the stupid decisions quota for the season and overcorrected in the last 4 episodes.

Edit: Holy poo poo they left without Clarke.

Ending edit: wat.

Kingtheninja fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Jun 5, 2017

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

latinotwink1997 posted:

Showrunners already confirmed she isn't Clarke's child. Kid's obviously much older than six, it was kind of funny they had to confirm she isn't Clarke's in the first place.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

esperterra posted:

Showrunners already confirmed she isn't Clarke's child. Kid's obviously much older than six, it was kind of funny they had to confirm she isn't Clarke's in the first place.

Clarke is a lesbian princess and the fandom would lose their poo poo if they revealed she banged Bellamy in a closet or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012

Rhyno posted:

Clarke is a lesbian princess and the fandom would lose their poo poo if they revealed she banged Bellamy in a closet or something.

Stop thinking in boxes please.

She's clearly bisexual.

• Locked thread