Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Also more people loving hate Trump right now than back in November.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Also more people loving hate Trump right now than back in November.

That doesn't mean they will vote against republicans in 2018 though.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.
Man full credit to David Schulkin for trying to make the WH press corp fall asleep.

FYI Sculkin is basically an Obama hold over who got promoted, and iirc was unanimously confirmed by the Senate.

nerox
May 20, 2001

"But...but....but... first amendment!" Cries out from all the terrible people of the US who believe they should be able to say all this poo poo with no repercussions.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Trump is currently a noose around the GOP's neck. By 2018 they will be fully ingrained together unless they cast him off first.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

I realize I'm a bit late on this but HOLY poo poo SHUT UP SHUT UP SHUT UP YOU FAT PATHETIC ORANGE TURD.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Alter Ego posted:

I realize I'm a bit late on this but HOLY poo poo SHUT UP SHUT UP SHUT UP YOU FAT PATHETIC ORANGE TURD.

he won't and he will probaly double/triple down later.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

I don't get why this strat is dumb, Trump already proved you could rail against fake news and lose the popular vote by three million votes and still win.

He didn't really go at war with the media until after he won. He was using the media to beat Clinton over the head over emails while stonewalling questions against him.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

I don't get why this strat is dumb, Trump already proved you could rail against fake news and lose the popular vote by three million votes and still win.

it's a little weak in responding to "you've had two years in complete control of the government, let's take a look at what you did with that"

it's a way to try to insulate your base from bad coverage but it's a defensive move to staunch the bleeding, not a way to motivate people

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

mcmagic posted:

That doesn't mean they will vote against republicans in 2018 though.

Of course it does

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

evilweasel posted:

it's a little weak in responding to "you've had two years in complete control of the government, let's take a look at what you did with that"

it's a way to try to insulate your base from bad coverage but it's a defensive move to staunch the bleeding, not a way to motivate people

Its a strategy that can make sense if your chances look grim outside your base. They may figure that if they supercharge their turnout amongst their literally dying base, maybe they can still just eke out a win, or at least limit losses.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Trump is currently a noose around the GOP's neck. By 2018 they will be fully ingrained together unless they cast him off first.

Rigel posted:

Of course it does

We haven't seen proof of either of these. His base is still with him and the democrats have yet to effectively link him to congressional republicans.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Rigel posted:

Its a strategy that can make sense if your chances look grim outside your base. They may figure that if they supercharge their turnout amongst their literally dying base, maybe they can still just eke out a win, or at least limit losses.

right, but the key issue is that elections are 1.5 years away. they should be focused on what they can do with their power between now and then to have things to run on. that they're already planning on running a desperate staunch-the-bleeding campaign this early? that's bad news for them.

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

This whole thing about modernizing VA records sounds nice on its face. BUT, they are still going to deny just as many VA claims as before.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

mcmagic posted:

We haven't seen proof of either of these. His base is still with him and the democrats have yet to effectively link him to congressional republicans.

his "strong support" has dropped from 30% to 20%

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

mcmagic posted:

???
https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/democrats-are-overperforming-in-special-elections-almost-everywhere/
???

Capri Sunrise
May 16, 2008

Elephants are mammals of the family Elephantidae and the largest existing land animals. Three species are currently recognised: the African bush elephant, the African forest elephant, and the Asian elephant.

evilweasel posted:

his "strong support" has dropped from 30% to 20%

I'll believe it when I see it - where I live (Maryland) his actions have only made everyone I know love him even more.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

mcmagic posted:

We haven't seen proof of either of these.

Yes we have, pretty definitive, obvious proof actually. Trump is severely damaging the GOP's electoral chances.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
This is also a midterm election where the Dems will be extremely motivated to turn out, the GOP needs something substantive to run on in an election where Trump won't be on the ballot

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Wilhelm posted:

I'll believe it when I see it - where I live (Maryland) his actions have only made everyone I know love him even more.

Yeah, I'd really like to get a breakdown of what parts of his former base has left him. I guessing coal and military ditched him, while alt-right and racists are as gung ho as ever.

Pellisworth posted:

This is also a midterm election where the Dems will be extremely motivated to turn out

Have likely Dem voters mobilized that much in the few special elections we've had since E-Day?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

That doesn't prove that he's lost his base. It's clear that republicans are being hurt somewhat by him in lower turnout or in higher democratic turnout but we don't know what that scale will be in 2018.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Wilhelm posted:

Anecdotes are not data.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

The Democrats' biggest enemy going into 2018 is complacency. We can't assume that Trump and the GOP are so self-evidently bad that we can just point, say "Look how bad they are!", and coast to victory. We can and should point out the bad poo poo they're doing, but that absolutely must be paired with "and here's what we're going to do that's better."

Yes, 538 is showing a nice, big Democratic lead, but when it comes time to actually vote, it will take serious effort to translate that into gains in the House. Remember that we have gerrymandering and voter suppression to fight against, here. Just looking at a nationwide aggregate showing Dems ahead won't be enough.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

mcmagic posted:

That doesn't prove that he's lost his base. It's clear that republicans are being hurt somewhat by him in lower turnout or in higher democratic turnout but we don't know what that scale will be in 2018.

We said he's losing voters, not losing his base.

Well, he is losing people from his base as well though, but thats not the argument at hand.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

also democrats haven't been explicitly linking republicans to trump (a) because there is no need, everyone who hates trump knows to vote D and (b) congressional republicans are LESS popular than trump and (c) everyone else is saying why trump sucks they'd rather say why they'd be good

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Once the fires died at Benghazi a pile of ash and sludge congealed together and made the shape of a man. Lost and weak it found sustenance by sneaking into the homes of families with newborns , quietly it crept to the child's resting place. It placed its newly formed lips over the child's and took its essence. Many to this day claim it was like the last plague of Moses. The mornings were filled the wailing of berieved families. With its new gained strength this abomination stole away on a oil ship bound for the Americas. It slept in deep blackness of the oil in the hold like a child in the womb. The crew themselves were afflicted with a wastefulness and hunger that no meal would quell. Upon arrival in our land it fled during the night its oils slick body giving it a natural camouflage. It had by then fashioned itself into the form of a man completely. Like a dog that is lost and finds its way home over thousands of miles it made a journey to our Capital. There it would build its kingdom. It gave itself a name Trey Gowdy and set to it's dark task.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Jun 5, 2017

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Gonna wake up at 5:30 tomorrow just to put in my NJ primary vote before work.

e: just a shame that it was bought by yet another Democratic machine politician, it's going to be Corzine all over again

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Harrow posted:

The Democrats' biggest enemy going into 2018 is complacency. We can't assume that Trump and the GOP are so self-evidently bad that we can just point, say "Look how bad they are!", and coast to victory. We can and should point out the bad poo poo they're doing, but that absolutely must be paired with "and here's what we're going to do that's better."

Yes, 538 is showing a nice, big Democratic lead, but when it comes time to actually vote, it will take serious effort to translate that into gains in the House. Remember that we have gerrymandering and voter suppression to fight against, here. Just looking at a nationwide aggregate showing Dems ahead won't be enough.

i don't believe anyone who wasn't in a coma for 2016 will be complacent in any election in their lifetimes from here on out

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

evilweasel posted:

i don't believe anyone who wasn't in a coma for 2016 will be complacent in any election in their lifetimes from here on out

I sure as gently caress hope you're right.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

evilweasel posted:

This is why young people don't vote but they do when they get older.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Harrow posted:

If things don't change drastically, then although it could take a "serious" effort to outright win the house, they could lazily coast to mere gains in the house and falling just short of the majority.

Javes
May 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT APPEARING OFFLINE SO I DON'T HAVE TO TELL FRIENDS THEY'RE NOT GOOD ENOUGH FOR MY VIDEO GAME TEAM.
Would be cool if the white house acknowledged why these insurers are leaving state marketplaces.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Harrow posted:

I sure as gently caress hope you're right.

there will probably be some idiots in 2032 who weren't really aware of how bad the trump years were and who spout ~both parties are the same vote jill stein~ nonsense like some people did in 2016 because they didn't remember how ~both parties are the same vote ralph nader~ turned out in 2000, but that's 16 years from now and maybe the next generation will have less idiots bad at math

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Oxxidation posted:

Gonna wake up at 5:30 tomorrow just to put in my NJ primary vote before work.

e: just a shame that it was bought by yet another Democratic machine politician, it's going to be Corzine all over again

Vote for Wisniewski.

evilweasel posted:

I thought this after the Bush years...

evilweasel posted:

there will probably be some idiots in 2032 who weren't really aware of how bad the trump years were and who spout ~both parties are the same vote jill stein~ nonsense like some people did in 2016 because they didn't remember how ~both parties are the same vote ralph nader~ turned out in 2000, but that's 16 years from now and maybe the next generation will have less idiots bad at math

You know that the electorate has the memory of a loving hummingbird right? It doesn't deserve your faith in it.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Sanders - Trump is backing down on blocking Comey's testimony. Quelle surprise

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Chard posted:

Sanders - Trump is backing down on blocking Comey's testimony. Quelle surprise

They already said they wouldn't invoke privilege, but the reason isn't because they want the investigation to end ASAP, it's because Trump is a moron and waived his executive privilege tweeting about Comey.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

evilweasel posted:

also democrats haven't been explicitly linking republicans to trump (a) because there is no need, everyone who hates trump knows to vote D

This is the assumption that Dems made in 2016, and it absolutely didn't pan out: "Oh, look at Trump's negatives! We don't need to link Republicans to him; it will alienate those white affluent moderate suburbanites that we want to win, and people know not to vote for the party Trump's running with anyway."

The Dems need a big win in 2018. They can only do this if they remind Americans that it wasn't just Trump pushing to take away their health care; Paul Ryan and Mitch McConnell have been salivating over this for decades.

quote:

and (b) congressional republicans are LESS popular than trump

As a group, yes. But voters don't vote on which party they want to control Congress; they vote on whether or not the candidate in question should be elected/reelected. Individual representatives and senators tend to poll much, much better in their districts and states than their party as a whole.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

They're dunking on her for him getting into a slapfight with Khan.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
You guys remember how even with polls picking Hillary, electoral history said the Republican should win the election? And that one researcher who has correctly predicted every election in the last couple of decades said his data pointed to Trump regardless of common sense? Even when 'nothing matters', stuff still matters.

The GOP will lose the House in 2016 because every party loses seats after a President is inaugurated. The combination of Trump supporters pissed off at mainstream GOP obstruction and mainstream GOP voters despondent over the President will suppress their vote just enough for an energized Democratic base to flip enough seats to split the legislative branch.

The question now is how much will they lose and will the Senate be in play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
lmao they're doubling down in their misunderstanding of kahn's statement, despicable

• Locked thread