Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

well why not posted:

lmao starting at 'just' $4999.

Well it would cost $7000+ if you built it yourself sans monitor so you see

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

eames posted:

That iMac pro is Apple's :fuckoff: to all the complaining "prosumers", although I'm pretty sure it'll cost $10k maxed out.

My fear is when this sells poorly they'll say "See, nobody wants a Pro-focused workstation system!" and then cancel the new new Mac Pro.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Tim Cook saying 'badass' is like hearing your mum say it.

eames
May 9, 2009

So do the new MBPs get Kaby Lake or just a frequency bump and faster SSD?

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

enojy posted:

Well it would cost $7000+ if you built it yourself sans monitor so you see

litterally have a 7 thousand dollar pc here for a C level to run excel, this is a loving bargain.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

eames posted:

It's Kaby Lake across the whole Mac lineup.

eames
May 9, 2009

Tab8715 posted:

It's Kaby Lake across the whole Mac lineup.

even the Macbook Air? :popeye:

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

eames posted:

If they have the onboard H265 decoding, they have to be Kaby. I don't think Skylake has that capability.

eames
May 9, 2009

bobfather posted:

If they have the onboard H265 decoding, they have to be Kaby. I don't think Skylake has that capability.

Polaris does, even 2016 15" MBPs support it. :shrug:

As for the iMac Pro, that's a 160W TDP CPU and Vega was pictured with two 8-pin connectors so probably around 400W TDP right behind the screen in a form factor originally designed for laptop hardware. :tif:

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
All my new PC parts are at home and I'm honestly feeling okay about the change. The new iMacs are nice, but not that nice.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

eames posted:

Polaris does, even 2016 15" MBPs support it. :shrug:

As for the iMac Pro, that's a 160W TDP CPU and Vega was pictured with two 8-pin connectors so probably around 400W TDP right behind the screen in a form factor originally designed for laptop hardware. :tif:

Those new fans have their loving work cut out for them.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
The iMac Pro is impressive and yet really, really dumb.

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

ASK ME ABOUT BEING A GROWNUP WHO FUCKS A REAL DOLL
As a non computer guy, why is it dumb?

eames
May 9, 2009

I took a screencap, it mentions a 500W PSU so 400W TDP is probably not far off.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

GoldfishStew posted:

it's gonna be pretty hot running which may be an issue for it's longevity and end up being subject to a lot of fan noise

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

GoldfishStew posted:

1) Lots of Apple's long-time customers are mad about the last Mac Pro being hard to maintain and upgrade because of its design, and this is even worse

2) General risk of it literally catching on fire (or at least hard drives or other hardware dying prematurely) because of all that high-end stuff crammed behind a metal shell with tiny vents

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

I'm not too worried about apple vertically integrating a discreet GPU,18 core CPU, and mitigating heat. They're targeting small periods of high-compute times, like compiling and encoding.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
So make an awesome Hackintosh instead. The great thing about the iMac Pro is that it makes support for expensive Xeons and unreleased Vega parts a certainty for at least the next 3-4 years.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
The actual standalone New Mac Pro is coming next year. If the single-socket iMac is starting at $4999, I fear for what the new multi-socket box will cost.

eames
May 9, 2009

incoherent posted:

I'm not too worried about apple vertically integrating a discreet GPU,18 core CPU, and mitigating heat. They're targeting small periods of high-compute times, like compiling and encoding.

yeah nothing to worry about because their last vertically integrated thermal solution left them so much headroom :thunk:

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

kefkafloyd posted:

multi-socket box

The hell do people use more than 18 cores for in a workstation that isn't on the GPU?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Roadie posted:

2) General risk of it literally catching on fire (or at least hard drives or other hardware dying prematurely) because of all that high-end stuff crammed behind a metal shell with tiny vents

oh brother

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

kefkafloyd posted:

The actual standalone New Mac Pro is coming next year. If the single-socket iMac is starting at $4999, I fear for what the new multi-socket box will cost.

Eh, a chunk of that is the display. I'd expect the new Mac Pro to be in the $3000 - $3500 range for the base model.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

How butt hurt should I be about buying a 2016 15" tbmbp last month?

I like mine a lot so I've been avoiding the keynote.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Housh posted:

How butt hurt should I be about buying a 2016 15" tbmbp last month?

I like mine a lot so I've been avoiding the keynote.

Is it within 30 days of purchase? If so you can just take it back no questions asked.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

wdarkk posted:

The hell do people use more than 18 cores for in a workstation that isn't on the GPU?

I didn't see anywhere they're doing dual sockets. I suspect that will be the districting mac PRO feature (along with dual GPUs).

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

Is there a 15" non-touchbar MBP already ffs

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

incoherent posted:

I didn't see anywhere they're doing dual sockets. I suspect that will be the districting mac PRO feature (along with dual GPUs).

I'm wondering if they'll bother with it at all for the Mac Pro. I mean, 18 cores is a lot. If you can use 36 cores, isn't your program better off on the GPU?

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

wdarkk posted:

Virtual machines, video rendering tasks, audio tasks...

Give someone a dual socket machine that supports dual GPUs and they'll find something to do with it.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

wdarkk posted:

I'm wondering if they'll bother with it at all for the Mac Pro. I mean, 18 cores is a lot. If you can use 36 cores, isn't your program better off on the GPU?

That's why I'm worried about sales of the iMac Pro and the impact on the Mac Pro redevelopment.

eames
May 9, 2009

The 120 Hz variable refresh rate display in the iPad is great news for Macs as it'll trickle down (sigh) eventually.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

$1799 for a 13" bah

Bob Morales fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Jun 5, 2017

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Luceo posted:

Is there a 15" non-touchbar MBP already ffs

I just built a PC. Apparently everything in Tomb has those glass areas like on Botanist. It's time for our MBPs to rest.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

Arivia posted:

I just built a PC. Apparently everything in Tomb has those glass areas like on Botanist. It's time for our MBPs to rest.

No ma'am! It still lives, and can hang on until Apple sells me what I want to buy!

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
I'm still using a 2009 Mac Pro with frankenflashed video cards.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Roadie posted:

I'm still using a 2009 Mac Pro with frankenflashed video cards.

Luceo and I have identical non-Retina 2012 MBPs with the 650Ms. It's just painful to play WoW on now. He has probably kept his in better shape though.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

Arivia posted:

Luceo and I have identical non-Retina 2012 MBPs with the 650Ms. It's just painful to play WoW on now. He has probably kept his in better shape though.

Mine's doing alright in WoW, and not even on the lowest settings. Only things like Withered J'im's fog effect storm really drag it down to unplayable :pcgaming: levels. This laptop's been such a trooper, but goddamn I wish Apple would sell something that I want.

edit: Then again, I barely play at all these days :v:

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Luceo posted:

Mine's doing alright in WoW, and not even on the lowest settings. Only things like Withered J'im;s fog effect storm really drag it down to unplayable :pcgaming: levels. This laptop's been such a trooper, but goddamn I wish Apple would sell something that I want.

Yeah I'm just tired and want :pcgaming: all the time. Doom with 60 fps locked at 1080p Ultra mmmmph

Edit: and I'm still raiding and my partner has been waiting not so patiently to play a bunch of games that don't work on MacOS. It's just time for me I think.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Arivia posted:

Not an MBP, I mean, but one of the 40-pound boxes. I've got plenty of :pcgaming: and have basically no reason to even think about buying another machine yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

Arivia posted:

Yeah I'm just tired and want :pcgaming: all the time. Doom with 60 fps locked at 1080p Ultra mmmmph

Edit: and I'm still raiding and my partner has been waiting not so patiently to play a bunch of games that don't work on MacOS. It's just time for me I think.

Fair Windows and Following Seas, goon friendo.