Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

queeb posted:

the g13 joystick hurts my thumb :(

i just came back after quitting in 3.1, maybe 5 quests into the patch content. it's taken me a few days to get up to the xelphatol dungeon, but i can maybe play an hour or two a night. You can probably beat it all in a day or two.

also the story is rad so far

I did the same. Just finished what I assume was the end of the 3.3 MSQ last night. God drat was that awesome. Really happy that I got a piece of gear to push me to 205 ilvl from the dungeon prior to that because leaving the bridge to go get more gear would have felt real bizarre :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Holyshoot posted:

one of the few times i have seen "dont tell me how to play" used properly.

You had the perfect opportunity for a terrible awareness pun and didn't take it. :sad:

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
i mean, it's a little annoying if a healer lets me low enough that a crit would kill me, but generally before that happens i'm spamming storm's path and inner beast anyway, and i get the impression that was probably just a person complaining about a made up scenario rather than something that was actually happening.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.
I can't even remember the last time I noticed I got crit in roulette content.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Leofish posted:

"Look man, the boss could potentially kill me and WIPE THE RAID."

"Sir.. This is Sastasha dungeon."

ftfy

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

i mean, it's a little annoying if a healer lets me low enough that a crit would kill me, but generally before that happens i'm spamming storm's path and inner beast anyway, and i get the impression that was probably just a person complaining about a made up scenario rather than something that was actually happening.

same, if i dont die i dont care what my hp is at.

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004
Really great how much people overestimate how much healing is required in dungeons, especially on bosses. If I'm not running on fumes from blasting away all my MP on Maleficing Lava Scorpion to hell and back, somethings wrong.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Leofish posted:

"Look man, the boss could potentially kill me and WIPE THE RAID."

"This is Sastasha."

The FF14 equivalent of "Sir this is a Wendy's".

Edit: gently caress beaten. My e-honorrrrr

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Rainuwastaken posted:

I can't even remember the last time I noticed I got crit in roulette content.

I was really surprised when I learned that tanks could be crit in this game.
This was like a year after I started playing.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

If a DPS wants to solo a single mob in sub 50 content he can tank that mob by himself just fine and the tank doesn't need to lose their mind over it. I mean that non-sarcastically, because low level dungeon monsters don't hit hard enough to threaten a low level dps. The healer may need to heal him instead of the tank one time. By the time monsters hit for threatening amounts of damage, tanks have all the tools they need to get everything under control trivially.

Basically stay calm, hit your aoe aggro move twice, and tab around to smack everything with some single target skills. That's all sub-50 (and i would argue sub-60 at this point) tanking really needs to do.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

The early MRD quests should just have an entire conversation about how Overpower is all you need to tank from 1-60 in Dungeons. For MRD/WAR, combos are next level.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Is there a comprehensive list of changes/new stuff for stormblood somewhere that I can read to get mostly caught up?

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

IcePhoenix posted:

Is there a comprehensive list of changes/new stuff for stormblood somewhere that I can read to get mostly caught up?

Demicol posted:

https://gamerescape.com/2017/05/30/ffxiv-stormblood-role-analysis-healers/

Also has a link to all the other roles changes near the top.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

So the only changes/new stuff is the combat? Weird.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

IcePhoenix posted:

So the only changes/new stuff is the combat? Weird.

There's other stuff. Expanded inventory and Armoury slots for one thing, ways to increase your mount speed for others.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
maybe mention the new raid, zones, jobs, etc?

there is a lot in stormblood.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.

nuru posted:

The early MRD quests should just have an entire conversation about how Overpower is all you need to tank from 1-60 in Dungeons. For MRD/WAR, combos are next level.

Isn't that basically the point of the solo instance with all the dogs?

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
I'd be interested to know which stuff comes just with the patch and which comes with owning the expansion.

Elswyyr
Mar 4, 2009
So I haven't played this game since the start of this year, but I'm an EU player on excal and i've heard stuff about the lag being really bad post data center move. How has the rest of the eu diaspora dealt with that? vandes tell me what to do

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Omnicrom posted:

There's other stuff. Expanded inventory and Armoury slots for one thing, ways to increase your mount speed for others.

This is why I'm asking for somewhere that I can read about it :(

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I have now learned the term "honest healer" and the concept at once amuses and angers me at the same time.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

unseenlibrarian posted:

Isn't that basically the point of the solo instance with all the dogs?

I can't remember what one you're talking about but I leveled MRD 3 or 4 years ago.

Green Tea Erotica
May 5, 2010

Anything you can do I can do BETTER

Wacky Delly posted:

Seriously, give me Witch Hunters from Warhammer Online and I'll be set. Also, more games need to steal WHO's friendly and enemy targets. Seems like most have already adopted some form of public quests.

I think Tera and Blade&Soul both had cool idea of healing (or a lack of) in their games. But I can't bring myself to enjoy either of them. I think it's just how those games run, like an Engine thing that put me off to it.
I think the more popular / bigger budget (So basically, ESO/WoW/FFXIV? Maybe Star Wars) are too scared to try a DPS support or have failed at it and won't go back to it.
WoW recently tried this with Disc Priest, they can throw a healing buff on people that heals directly based off damage they do, and even their normal castable heal also puts on a DoT on the target if they aren't getting hit. But, I've never seen one in a Raid that wasn't, "Hey we need like an extra bit of DPS that isn't going to die, can you switch to Disc or go on your Priest alt?" Nobody does that poo poo as a main, which suuuucks! I love the idea. But finding a balance between DPS worth having and Heals worth Having is a line that either is hard to find, or players won't care to do it because it doesn't seem worth it/they want big numbers.

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

MMF Freeway posted:

I'd be interested to know which stuff comes just with the patch and which comes with owning the expansion.

QoL changes, expanded inventory, existing class/job changes, access to the new residential district should be available to everyone.

Elswyyr posted:

So I haven't played this game since the start of this year, but I'm an EU player on excal and i've heard stuff about the lag being really bad post data center move. How has the rest of the eu diaspora dealt with that? vandes tell me what to do

Actually it's kinda okay, I'm not noticing any difference

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

As far as I can tell the SCH dungeon dps rotation is going to be:

Bio, Miasma, Bane, Shadow Flare (now that the mobs are in one place) -> Broil forever.

Did I miss anything else?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

IcePhoenix posted:

This is why I'm asking for somewhere that I can read about it :(

Here's the mother load of info that should cover basically everything afaik

https://docs.google.com/document/d/14SbRI6EBkgUfQxaQM-qIwN7c__Hvuk4vW6VN11OlKUo/edit

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

yeah WAR tanking on huge pulls is basically spam overpower. When you've got like 8 mobs hitting you there's no point trying to combo. I just infuriate steel cyclone and then just smash overpower until everything is dead.

war owns

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

queeb posted:

yeah WAR tanking on huge pulls is basically spam overpower. When you've got like 8 mobs hitting you there's no point trying to combo. I just infuriate steel cyclone and then just smash overpower until everything is dead.

war owns

I can't bring myself to spam overpower that much because I don't like running out of TP and that ability is such a TP hog. Does running out matter a lot less than I think it does?

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
on huge pulls overpower is going to be insanely more potency per tp/gcd even if you starve yourself. on normal pulls it's probably more potency per gcd than anything else you can do but the potency per tp is so much worse that you'd not want to drain yourself.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!
With a big pull with a lot of guys, Overpower is not only the most useful in terms of being able to hit all of them, but also the most efficient way to spend that TP.

E:fb, My rule of thumb is about 5 or 6+ I'll stop caring about TP and just Overpower.

Ryanbomber
Sep 27, 2004

Green Tea Erotica posted:

But finding a balance between DPS worth having and Heals worth Having is a line that either is hard to find, or players won't care to do it because it doesn't seem worth it/they want big numbers.

FFXIV would be able to pull off Atonement/Fistweaving much easier because they already have a baseline of how much DPS a healer should do. You can balance their base healing and damage based off of that, while giving them tools to spend resources on stronger healing instead of damage to handle damage spikes.

It would be more of a play style change/job theme instead of a mechanical advantage.

Ryanbomber fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Jun 5, 2017

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Ainsley McTree posted:

I can't bring myself to spam overpower that much because I don't like running out of TP and that ability is such a TP hog. Does running out matter a lot less than I think it does?

It doesn't matter. Even if you run out you have solid aggro on everything.

And you do so much more damage with overpower it's more TP efficient to spam overpower. Like on 5 targets you're basically throwing a Fell Cleave every GCD for 100 TP.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.

Ainsley McTree posted:

TP regenerates incredibly quickly out of combat, to the point where as a DPS I have failed utterly if I'm anywhere north of 150 TP at the end of a trash pack. As a Warrior, your only real jobs between bosses are a) keep aggro on lots of dudes and b) do as much damage as you can. If you're fighting six dudes, every Overpower is worth 720 potency. At that point it's honestly worth just waiting two ticks of TP regen to toss out another one, and it's not like anybody is going to be taking aggro through all of that Overpower spam.

Embrace the AoE; only then will you truly understand how infuriating it is to watch people single-target giant packs of enemies down.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Countblanc posted:

Here's the mother load of info that should cover basically everything afaik

https://docs.google.com/document/d/14SbRI6EBkgUfQxaQM-qIwN7c__Hvuk4vW6VN11OlKUo/edit

This is excellent, thanks!

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Regarding Overpower spam, when a pack is down to it's last mob you generally want to refresh maim so you can chain it straight into the next pack for more glorious Overpower dps.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Well...it seems I've been a mediocre WAR for quite some time then. Better to learn late than never i guess though, thanks for the tips!

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

queeb posted:

war owns

Do your Maim combo first so you get that +20% damage.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
And if you're taking enough damage that it actually matters, Bloodbath, and see a stream of a lot of green numbers help keep you up.

It's just a shame that until the 16th, Berserk is level 22. And when Stormblood rolls around, it'll be shoved down at level 8.

edit: Oh snap, Bloodbath isn't a CCable skill anymore.

edit edit: wait, Bloodbath is _gone_ from tanks.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Jun 5, 2017

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Dragoons and ninjas I run into doing dungeons are also worried about "running out of tp" but the truth is, if everyone is AOEing, by the time you're out of TP everything is dead and you're moving on.

Also, geirskogul is not a substitute for proper AOE. If there are 4+ mobs, you should be doom spiking. Doom spike is 160 potency per mob and even though it costs a lot, it does insane damage. 4 mobs is 640 potency, 5 is 800, more than 6 is over 1000.

Speaking of which, did doom spike get nerfed for SB? If not, dragoon might be king poo poo of AOE for a while.

Mr. Nice! fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Jun 5, 2017

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Mr. Nice! posted:

Dragoons and ninjas I run into doing dungeons are also worried about "running out of tp" but the truth is, if everyone is AOEing, by the time you're out of TP everything is dead and you're moving on.

That's something I actually do dislike about DRG but I've come to accept it and get over it at least. I'm not enough of a bad that I single target dps on big pulls, I can at least say.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
also, some of this may change in Stormblood, where a lot of aoes are getting diminishing returns. why that is, i don't know. it seems bizarre to me to penalize aoe abilities for being used on large pulls.

• Locked thread