Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Pellisworth posted:

ask if Trump believes climate change is real

please

then keep doing it every briefing until you get a yes/no

I want them to ask "does trump understand what climate change is, and how it works, at all?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

The Glumslinger posted:

Every single election you hear a billion of these, half of them are wrong, then 4 years later they all come back and do the exact same tour, just adding another rule to their "prediction" to cover if they hosed up the last election.

Exactly. They all fit their models to existing outcomes even though they (presumably) know that doesn't mean dick but also know that the public are stupid and don't understand that so they can nonetheless make the media rounds selling their new bullshit.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

My personal favorite was her response to Qatar, "uhh we have absolutely no idea despite visiting the region literally 2 weeks ago".

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

ReidRansom posted:

My worry would be that it would then draw the same sort of contempt republicans seem to have for other entities in that mold and face the same sort of fuckery they try pulling with those (massive pre-funding requirements for benefits, etc. as in the case of USPS), all with the unstated goal of government divestment and sale of assets and operation to for-profit enterprises.

yeah but it's not like they don't randomly gently caress with the funding of governmental entities too :v:

like I said I know nothing about the merits of this proposal and i'm predisposed to think its dumb because trump supports it, but i think people aren't quite grasping what exactly it is

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

The Glumslinger posted:

Every single election you hear a billion of these, half of them are wrong, then 4 years later they all come back and do the exact same tour, just adding another rule to their "prediction" to cover if they hosed up the last election.

It's also not that unlikely that a person will predict 10 coinflips where 4 of them the outcome was completely obvious

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

There really is not a good huckabee

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

i love this video more than most pets I've owned

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

evilweasel posted:

yeah but it's not like they don't randomly gently caress with the funding of governmental entities too :v:

like I said I know nothing about the merits of this proposal and i'm predisposed to think its dumb because trump supports it, but i think people aren't quite grasping what exactly it is

That's fair

And yeah it sounds like something that has been on various peoples' radar for some time now, but agree that Trump's support instantly sets me against it, unless I see really convincing arguments otherwise

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
It's beautiful that his tweets will probably be a major factor in bringing Trump down. He fucks up his own legal defenses (in the Muslim Ban and Comey testimony) and contradicts his own admin's messaging and policies, and everyone has to double down and insist that every tweet is 100% serious and correct.

Case in point: covfefe

Spicer couldn't even say it was just a silly error. He said "Trump and a small group of people know what it means."

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

*blinks S-O-S in morse code*

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
Also, it should be a fantastic week for Trump twitter dumps. Remember he fired his communications director who apparently was one of the people who kept taking Trump's phone away.

Sanders said just now in the briefing that Spicer is taking on some of the duties of the comm director in the meantime.

Comey testifies on Thursday and Trump is going to have zero filter this week.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

evilweasel posted:

the hillary campaign was generally criticized for doing too much stuff about why Trump sucks and too little about "here is what i, hillary clinton, will do for you".

They were, but they also were criticized for not effectively tying Trump to the Republican Party as well. The strategy was that Trump was so hated, he'd drag the rest of his party down with him, and unfortunately, that strategy didn't pan out.

quote:

so the democratic candidates want to run on their positive vision for america, run against republicans generally - and that includes the specific terrible things candidate x voted for, like the ahca - but to not waste their time on how much of a garbage person trump is and what a burning trash fire his administration is because if you don't know that by now, how is anyone going to convince you

I think this applies to the Republican base, however you define it, but one thing that I think we need to keep in mind in this discussion: most American voters are pretty drat politically ignorant. Most of them probably don't know how their representative voted on the AHCA. They may not know what the AHCA is, and they don't know how it personally affects them, their family, and their community. A lot of them don't even know who their rep is. To you and me, getting Republicans out of office on all levels is the top priority. We know why it's important that the HFC needs to never have legislative power over anyone ever again. Most Americans aren't politically aware or motivated enough to feel that, though. 2018's a midterm election, Trump's not personally on the ballot, and we need people to turn out and vote these absolute fuckers out of office. We need to make sure that non-Trump diehards understand that without a Republican Congress, there would be no AHCA, no cuts to Meals on Wheels, no slashing of food stamps, no Betsy Devos.

quote:

but you can perhaps be convinced that your representative voted to take away your health care and the democratic candidate is saying some sensible things that are good for you even though you still believe in your heart of hearts, because you lack a brain, trump still is fighting for you

:agreed: I think Americans should hate Paul Ryan at least as much as they hate Trump, personally. I hope the Dems do their best to make that happen.

Majorian fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Jun 5, 2017

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!
There was a poll about a month ago (which seems like an eternity) that showed than about 60% of the country thinks that Trump is "his own thing" and his positives/negatives do not reflect the Republican Party as a whole.

It was basically just Democrats and Democratic-leaning Independents that thought that Trump was representative of the Republican Party as a whole. There are quite a few people in the "disapprove" column that will still enthusiastically vote Republican in the midterms and aren't "base" Republicans.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

So here's a bit of a recap of Sarah's briefing:

- Starts with talking mostly about air traffic control and her kid's birthday(?)

- Lots of questions about Trump attacking the mayor of London

- Journalists ask where Spicey is

- Gets asked what the administration's response is to Qatar, to which Sarah basically replies "we have no idea", note that Trump visited that region 2 weeks ago

- Finally gets asked about Trump omitting article 5 during his NATO speech all on his own, gives a one-line non-answer, then immediately says that's it I'm gone

- In the final seconds you can hear a reporter shouting "you can stay longer?"

Note that she talked more about her kid's birthday than the article 5 debacle.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Majorian posted:

I think this applies to the Republican base, however you define it, but one thing that I think we need to keep in mind in this discussion: most American voters are pretty drat politically ignorant. Most of them probably don't know how their representative voted on the AHCA. They may not know what the AHCA is, and they don't know how it personally affects them, their family, and their community. A lot of them don't even know who their rep is. To you and me, getting Republicans out of office on all levels is the top priority. We know why it's important that the HFC needs to never have legislative power over anyone ever again. Most Americans aren't politically aware or motivated enough to feel that, though. 2018's a midterm election, Trump's not personally on the ballot, and we need people to turn out and vote these absolute fuckers out of office. We need to make sure that non-Trump diehards understand that without a Republican Congress, there would be no AHCA, no cuts to Meals on Wheels, no slashing of food stamps, no Betsy Devos.

The Quist campaign was so effective in getting the media to ask the Republican candidate about his position on the AHCA that the guy punched a reporter. They're running on heath care, there's no doubt about it. They will make very sure to tie their opponents to their vote on the AHCA (which is WAY less popular than Trump) and to all of the other stupid unpopular things the Republican congress is doing. There's no need to tie the Republican congress to Trump to make wavering voters hate the Republican congress: they're doing that themselves. People paid attention to the AHCA, they know it's the Republican bill, and most people will assume their Republican representative voted for it (even if they didn't).

There's no question Democrats will run on how terrible the Republican platform has been. There's just little benefit to tying Trump to it because Trump's policies (to the extent they exist) tend to be more popular than Paul Ryans and the fact he is a garbage human being has not been as effective as one would like.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Krispy Kareem posted:

That's so beautiful. At this point, we can trace Trump's stupider moves to petty beefs he's had with people. Obama loved the ACA, so screw that. Hillary was in charge of the State Department, yep let's gut that. Air traffic controllers may have routed planes over his club, let's privatize them.

The secret to getting Trump to do what you want him to do is make another group piss him off. If it wasn't for the Secret Service we could sell range targets with Trump's head at a gun show and Trump would suddenly be pro-gun control.

Stupid Secret Service.

Bu that can still happen?

Did gun stores/gun ranges that used pictures of Obama and Clinton ever actually face anything other than a finger wag?

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

evilweasel posted:

that researcher is a lying weasel

his "correct prediction in every election in the past couple of decades" relied on saying he got 2000 right when he picked gore because gore won the popular vote

so when he says he predicted a trump win, he means he predicted a trump popular vote win and guess what didn't happen
Whoa, unexpected slam against weasels right here.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Zero_Grade posted:

Whoa, unexpected slam against weasels right here.

you hate to see that kind of self hatred from the weasel community

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I fear Kushner 2.0 may short out before he gives testimony.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Pollyanna posted:

Yeah, I'd really like to get a breakdown of what parts of his former base has left him. I guessing coal and military ditched him, while alt-right and racists are as gung ho as ever.

Have likely Dem voters mobilized that much in the few special elections we've had since E-Day?

Yes.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/democrats-are-overperforming-in-special-elections-almost-everywhere/

Dems are doing about 14 points better, even when you count massive swings against them in CT where everyone hates the Dem governor.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

evilweasel posted:

The Quist campaign was so effective in getting the media to ask the Republican candidate about his position on the AHCA that the guy punched a reporter.

Was that the Quist campaign that actually engineered that, though? My understanding is that they didn't run very many negative ads at all - too few, in fact.

quote:

They're running on heath care, there's no doubt about it. They will make very sure to tie their opponents to their vote on the AHCA (which is WAY less popular than Trump) and to all of the other stupid unpopular things the Republican congress is doing. There's no need to tie the Republican congress to Trump to make wavering voters hate the Republican congress: they're doing that themselves. People paid attention to the AHCA, they know it's the Republican bill, and most people will assume their Republican representative voted for it (even if they didn't).

There's no question Democrats will run on how terrible the Republican platform has been. There's just little benefit to tying Trump to it because Trump's policies (to the extent they exist) tend to be more popular than Paul Ryans and the fact he is a garbage human being has not been as effective as one would like.

That's fair; I suppose what I'm advocating would probably be more appropriate in a presidential election year. I still think it would be helpful to remind voters, "Hey, you hate Trump? Want to kneecap his administration? Vote his allies out of office!" But who knows, maybe they're making that connection themselves. I concede it's possible.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service

empty whippet box posted:

I want them to ask "does trump understand what climate change is, and how it works, at all?"

https://twitter.com/ddale8/status/870775483016859648

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Harrow posted:

Regarding Trump's base still loving him, our pal Nate Silver has thoughts on that:

https://twitter.com/NateSilver538/status/871788305737756673

A lot of these complaints about his base always supporting him also seem to drastically misunderstand what's meant by the term "base." Trump's base will probably vote for him no matter what because that's what it means to talk about someone's base. When we're talking about the Democratic base, we're talking about Democratic voters who will vote for Democrats under all but the most extreme circumstances.

His base isn't even close to being the whole Republican party and the whole Republican party certainly isn't going to support him in 2020. The people who are still circling the wagons after all the scandals have aired and the dust has settled? That's his base, and it's probably not going to be all that large. The question is going to be what the GOP decides to do about walking into 2020 with a massively unpopular president that doesn't have the support of his own party.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

evilweasel posted:

i don't believe anyone who wasn't in a coma for 2016 will be complacent in any election in their lifetimes from here on out

"Boy I can't believe Florida was so close! I'll never stay home again! There really are differences between the candidates! Third party votes are also a waste."

-Voters after 2000

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
I don't give a gently caress about the GOP base or Trump's base or whatever the gently caress. 35% of the country are basically incurable white power fascists, and that sucks, but they don't decide anything by themselves.

poo poo that DOES matter, in no particular order:

-Idiots who flipped from voting Obama in 2008 or 2012 to Trump in 2016
-Idiots who didn't vote at all after previously voting Obama in 2008 or 2012
-Democratic turnout in general, especially in mid-terms when it's often just poo poo compared to Republicans
-Voter suppression
-The Democrats running non-garbage candidates

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

There was a poll about a month ago (which seems like an eternity) that showed than about 60% of the country thinks that Trump is "his own thing" and his positives/negatives do not reflect the Republican Party as a whole.

We surely can draw many important conclusions from the poll you are going to tell us about that we don't get to see.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

axeil posted:

"Boy I can't believe Florida was so close! I'll never stay home again! There really are differences between the candidates! Third party votes are also a waste."

-Voters after 2000

I think a lot of those people DID turn out.

But the new crop of 25-and-under-year-olds didn't believe them.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

axeil posted:

-Voters after 2000

In fairness, I think 2000 did create a big stigma on 3rd party voting

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

evilweasel posted:

his "correct prediction in every election in the past couple of decades" relied on saying he got 2000 right when he picked gore because gore won the popular vote

so when he says he predicted a trump win, he means he predicted a trump popular vote win and guess what didn't happen

Yeah in general all those models that boast about "never having missed an election since XXXX" are poo poo because there aren't a whole lot of data points and those models are probably highly miscalibrated.

Sunspot activity has never missed an economic recession, but if you seriously tried to argue we should look at sunspots to predict economic activity you'd be laughed out of the room.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

evilweasel posted:

Okay, so the researcher was dumb and wrong.

Republicans are still going to lose seats because even popular Presidents lose seats in the midterms if their party controlled the House. And Trump will never be a popular President.

It's just icing on the cake that his hardcore supporters won't necessarily come out and support Republicans and Republicans will be discouraged by Trump and his hardcore supporters.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

sean10mm posted:

I don't give a gently caress about the GOP base or Trump's base or whatever the gently caress. 35% of the country are basically incurable white power fascists, and that sucks, but they don't decide anything by themselves.

poo poo that DOES matter, in no particular order:

-Idiots who flipped from voting Obama in 2008 or 2012 to Trump in 2016
-Idiots who didn't vote at all after previously voting Obama in 2008 or 2012
-Democratic turnout in general, especially in mid-terms when it's often just poo poo compared to Republicans
-Voter suppression
-The Democrats running non-garbage candidates

This, 100%. And the word "idiots" is kind of the operative term there, unfortunately. As bizarre as it is for us to consider, there really are a lot of voters who are, in fact, so politically ignorant, that they'd vote for Obama and then somehow think voting for Trump is a good idea. These voters aren't irredeemable; they're just really, really politically unaware.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/vicenews/status/871791059659104256

28 districts

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

It's like we're in one of those dreams where our punches are too soft and we can't run fast no matter how hard we try. We're all dreaming, and no one will press the administration on any simple, straightforward question.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

evilweasel posted:

there will probably be some idiots in 2032 who weren't really aware of how bad the trump years were and who spout ~both parties are the same vote jill stein~ nonsense like some people did in 2016 because they didn't remember how ~both parties are the same vote ralph nader~ turned out in 2000, but that's 16 years from now and maybe the next generation will have less idiots bad at math
It will have less idiots with brains full of lead, at any rate. I mean, Michigan maybe not but everywhere else you can basically say this.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/871806943626768384
https://twitter.com/EricBoehlert/status/871805525905813504
https://twitter.com/aravosis/status/871805778814001152
https://twitter.com/JaredRizzi/status/871804846286004224
https://twitter.com/nielslesniewski/status/871805108975276034
https://twitter.com/politico/status/871798550572695552

https://twitter.com/owillis/status/871805158904270854

Party Plane Jones fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Jun 5, 2017

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

So Breitbart fired someone

https://twitter.com/k_mcq/status/871770296667299841

The reason is she said what is in Breitbart's heads

https://twitter.com/k_mcq/status/871138163728809984

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Leaving the Paris Accords gained Trump literally nothing and only ended up pissing off both regular and powerful people across the political spectrum. It was an amazing self own.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

You know, if we default on our debt and destroy the global economy, before I die in the mad max wasteland I'm gonna have myself a sensible chuckle about how loving stupid businessmen are for having supported a massively destabilizing incompetent rear end in a top hat in hopes of tax cuts.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Leaving the Paris Accords gained Trump literally nothing and only ended up pissing off both regular and powerful people across the political spectrum. It was an amazing self own.

It's not his fault you can't see the 7D chessboard. :smugbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.

Night10194 posted:

You know, if we default on our debt and destroy the global economy, before I die in the mad max wasteland I'm gonna have myself a sensible chuckle about how loving stupid businessmen are for having supported a massively destabilizing incompetent rear end in a top hat in hopes of tax cuts.

I'll call myself Lord Skipmungus and lead a band of blood-craved cannibals as we eat everyone who makes more than $100,000 per year.

• Locked thread