Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

My assistant sucks. :sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

If you wanna get autistic you could try flashing opengapps

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
This is how mine looks when I hold the home button from the Bookmarks page of the Awful app:

Since I just set up this phone, maybe one of my core Google apps is out of date and I just have to wait for it to update.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Vykk.Draygo posted:

This is how mine looks when I hold the home button from the Bookmarks page of the Awful app:

Since I just set up this phone, maybe one of my core Google apps is out of date and I just have to wait for it to update.

I think you need a Play Services update because yeah, that interface is way out of date. You don't even have the blue Assistant settings icon, you still have the dots.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I'm on 11.0.55 :shrug:

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

I guess it's server side since I just checked and I'm on all the same versions of Google and Play Services as my girlfriend and she has all the fancy stuff that I don't.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

a/b testing is how they roll

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Jesus Christ, this dude
https://www.reddit.com/r/GooglePixel/comments/6f4epo/phone_stolen_not_showing_up_on_find_my_device/

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

LastInLine posted:

I guess it's server side since I just checked and I'm on all the same versions of Google and Play Services as my girlfriend and she has all the fancy stuff that I don't.

It fixed itself over night.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

What's so special about the Daydream View headset that makes it worth $70 compared to some $20 headset on Amazon? Is it mostly the controller?

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Vykk.Draygo posted:

What's so special about the Daydream View headset that makes it worth $70 compared to some $20 headset on Amazon? Is it mostly the controller?
Yes. But it's not very good so don't bother. The Pixel overheats so it randomly crashes. The sensors suffer from drift. The focal length can't be adjusted so it's blurry around the edges for some people. All in all it's a very mediocre offering which is a shame because the controller and headset are quite comfortable and nice to use.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Tunga posted:

Yes. But it's not very good so don't bother. The Pixel overheats so it randomly crashes. The sensors suffer from drift. The focal length can't be adjusted so it's blurry around the edges for some people. All in all it's a very mediocre offering which is a shame because the controller and headset are quite comfortable and nice to use.

Counterpoint: my XL has never overheated despite long sessions. My sensors only have noticeable drift in a long documentary on Netflix. Daydream is pretty neat and a solid phone VR experience.

Whether a phone VR experience is worth buying into is another matter entirely. I got my View free.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Google Now/Assistant's attempts to learn from my behavior continue to be, by turns, adorable and a little creepy.

It's getting pretty good at occasionally pulling up the bus schedule for the bus stop I just left, and I had a friend flying to London last Friday, and after I looked up her flight a few times to make sure she got in safely, it's decided that I need to hear about every single Virgin Atlantic flight between here and there, to the point of adding them to my calendar so I get notified for a day. I think it's stopped doing that, finally.

I know there are probably things I could do to make it more accurate but honestly I'm enjoying watching it learn.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Finally got my Pixel from the world's worst Swappa seller. Everything seems great, except that Assistant doesn't seem to be giving me the option to take a screenshot and share it, in any app. It worked just fine on my 6P. The only option I have it Send Feedback. Am I missing something glaringly obvious?

You can also just hold power + volume down. It snaps a screenshot then puts it as a notification to share or save or whatever.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

incogneato posted:

You can also just hold power + volume down. It snaps a screenshot then puts it as a notification to share or save or whatever.

Of course, but I don't really want my screenshots being saved to my device. I prefer to send them off and then be done with them forever. Regardless, the problem is fixed now.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Of course, but I don't really want my screenshots being saved to my device. I prefer to send them off and then be done with them forever. Regardless, the problem is fixed now.

Don't they get saved anyway?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I got loving Android O DP2 installed and I ain't got no keyboard button in the Assistant.

Also, that Andromeda thing apparently got cancelled. Android all the way until the end of the universe!

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

nimper posted:

Don't they get saved anyway?

If they do, I don't know where. They aren't in DCIM or Pictures/Screenshots.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
My brother called me today from a TMO store for some last-minute advice because he was about to buy a Galaxy Edge to replace his ancient phone that doesn't get used much. After a 5 minute conversation and an Amazon search, a Moto G5+ is on its way!

:feelsgood:

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend

Vykk.Draygo posted:

If they do, I don't know where. They aren't in DCIM or Pictures/Screenshots.

I'm *fairly sure* that they don't get saved if you send them from Assistant. If you do use power+vol down there is an option to delete the screenshot in the notification once you've sent it.

e: but if you share it, the notification has been acted on and the convenience of that delete option is nil. So nevermind gently caress us all each and every one.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

For those with the ad-supported g5 and a little bit of technical inclination, here are some instructions to remove the lockscreen ads

https://www.reddit.com/r/MotoG/comments/6e1cc4/moto_g_amazon_edition_remove_app_that_displays/

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

FistEnergy posted:

My brother called me today from a TMO store for some last-minute advice because he was about to buy a Galaxy Edge to replace his ancient phone that doesn't get used much. After a 5 minute conversation and an Amazon search, a Moto G5+ is on its way!

:feelsgood:

As there is no phone with that name, probably a good idea.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

The Sony Xperia XZ Premium looks like it should be out soon. Is the default recommendation here still to ignore anything that isn't a Pixel or Motorola?

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Variable_H posted:

The Sony Xperia XZ Premium looks like it should be out soon. Is the default recommendation here still to ignore anything that isn't a Pixel or Motorola?

Respect is earned, not given

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Variable_H posted:

If you like paying $800 for a device that ships with the fingerprint sensor disabled, the XZ Premium is the phone for you

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

If you're spending pixel money, get a pixel. Simple

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Some people might say we're getting closer to when the Pixel2 will come out so you might want to wait. Of course, this is Google, so there's a high chance that they'll announce it and then it'll be another 6 months (or never) before its widely available. A better argument against buying a Pixel now is that we're already 25% of the way through the 2 years it'll be getting updates. I still think thats fine, but real sticklers might think thats unacceptable.

Generally speaking, if you need a phone, you should just buy a phone instead of trying to time the absolute best time to buy...otherwise there's like a 3 day period once a year thats a good time to buy a phone.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I live in the middle of Europe, the Pixel is still not available here (at least from Google).

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I'm getting a refurb Pixel this week and I'll happily sell it to one of you goonlords this fall when I get the Pixel 2

I'm the new hotsauce, I'm not sure I'm happy about that.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
On my Nexus 5X the lockscreen widget for spotify is visible pretty much always, the pocketcasts or poweramp widgets show up sometimes but always disappear sooner or later. Is the reason for this that the 5X can't keep all three apps in memory? There would be enough space on the lockscreen for multiple widgets.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
RAM.

I always loose my Google Play Music notification on my 5x if I pause it and do such intense things like looking at twitter on Chrome or watching a YouTube video.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Sounds like OnePlus is on the right track RAM-wise imo

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Uthor posted:

RAM.

I always loose my Google Play Music notification on my 5x if I pause it and do such intense things like looking at twitter on Chrome or watching a YouTube video.

Dr. FAUXTON has her Spotify cut out when the phone does the HDR processing on photos. Plays fine right up until the HDR progress bar comes up. It's presumably just feature creep since she uninstalled FB months ago.

Jul 11, 2003

by astral
Did the Beta (Android O) for my Nexus 6p. It made the phone unusable. It become unbearably slow. I then dropped my phone in a bunch of water and it became literally unusable. Ordered a used Pixel XL 128GB....is getting the daydream vr (used) worth it?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Incessant Excess posted:

On my Nexus 5X the lockscreen widget for spotify is visible pretty much always, the pocketcasts or poweramp widgets show up sometimes but always disappear sooner or later. Is the reason for this that the 5X can't keep all three apps in memory? There would be enough space on the lockscreen for multiple widgets.

Something with the app itself, no idea what. I've used seemingly similar folder based players, some are persistent, some go away soon after pausing and doing something else.

Boywunda
Jun 25, 2003

5436 posted:

Did the Beta (Android O) for my Nexus 6p. It made the phone unusable. It become unbearably slow. I then dropped my phone in a bunch of water and it became literally unusable. Ordered a used Pixel XL 128GB....is getting the daydream vr (used) worth it?

I've been in the beta for some time as well. I've begun to really dislike my 6P. Super slow, and I guess it's related to the beta. RAM being the biggest issue on top of the slowness. Apps getting kicked out of RAM and redrawing, or releaunching is super annnoying, especially when it was great before. I'm gonna flash back and opt out of the beta (if that's even possible). But what I don't want to do is flash custom. I've remained unrooted for this long, and I'd rather not go down that route. Or I just deal with it until Xmas, when my contract is up and I get something different.

I;ve been a Nexus user for years, I'm thinking about going down the OEM route next time. I used to be heavy into rooting and custom ROMS, but I've since lost interest. Now I just want a fast usable phone, with a somewhat decent UI. Has Samsung improved on their lovely lime green and blue UI?

Jul 11, 2003

by astral

Boywunda posted:

I've been in the beta for some time as well. I've begun to really dislike my 6P. Super slow, and I guess it's related to the beta. RAM being the biggest issue on top of the slowness. Apps getting kicked out of RAM and redrawing, or releaunching is super annnoying, especially when it was great before. I'm gonna flash back and opt out of the beta (if that's even possible). But what I don't want to do is flash custom. I've remained unrooted for this long, and I'd rather not go down that route. Or I just deal with it until Xmas, when my contract is up and I get something different.

I;ve been a Nexus user for years, I'm thinking about going down the OEM route next time. I used to be heavy into rooting and custom ROMS, but I've since lost interest. Now I just want a fast usable phone, with a somewhat decent UI. Has Samsung improved on their lovely lime green and blue UI?

People tend to say the Pixel is always very snappy with a top of the line camera. I'm not sure if thats true but I've read it in a few "months later" reviews.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

5436 posted:

People tend to say the Pixel is always very snappy with a top of the line camera. I'm not sure if thats true but I've read it in a few "months later" reviews.

Still true.

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

Noticed my pixel XL randomly rebooting every once in a while. It seemed to only happen when connected to a car I was renting but still odd.

Would like to add that the camera def still owns months later. Very quick an responsive. This is coming from a S6 Edge that would actually vibrate for about 10 seconds each time I opened the camera, ruining basically every attempt at capturing a moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Boywunda posted:

Given your complaints with the 6P, the phone you should get is the Pixel.