Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

drrockso20 posted:

Thanks, mind posting your Skype again, I'll probably message you about this tomorrow

DoctorMoriatt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Rip_Van_Winkle posted:

This weekend my fiance and I were spending time with her little brother, who is ten. He wanted to learn how to play Magic, so we went to our FLGS and got him a starter deck. He picked up on it quick and is very much enjoying himself. While we were there he wandered around excitedly asking what things were, and while he was looking through RPGs and ended up getting very attached to The Warren, a PbtA game about rabbits. We picked up a copy of that and we played for a few hours that evening with a couple friends. It's great, as PbtA stuff usually is. The next day he wanted to try another RPG before he had to go home so I ran a short, tonally cleaned up Shadow of the Demon Lord session just because it's very quick to get going and we had a great time going on a werewolf hunt. The werewolf turned out to be the mayor.

There's no point to this other than, hey, sometimes people do actually have fun playing games. We didn't even talk about caster supremacy all weekend.

what

you play ttrpgs and don't talk about caster supremacy?!

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Superstates are more common in alt history than zeppelins.

Well if you put an EU4 or CK2 or even HoI4 game on observer mode you'll definitely end up seeing the glorious Shia Aztec Caliphate spanning from the Pyrenees to the Sahara and the Mongol Empire sharing a border with Holy Roman France at the Danube so maybe they have a point on that matter

Serf
May 5, 2011

It's easy to not talk about caster supremacy when you play good games :smuggo:

Rip_Van_Winkle
Jul 21, 2011

"When life gives you ghosts, you make ghost-robots"

I think this is a philosophy we can all aspire to.

Arivia posted:

what

you play ttrpgs and don't talk about caster supremacy?!

No but I did tell him that 4E was world of warcraft and about the dangers of feminism infiltrating our beloved hobby.

e: for real though I just wanted his first TTRPG experience to be fun and accessible and not involve a bunch of paperwork and baggage before he could even get started. He said that he would like to play D&D proper at some point, but mostly because he listens to The Adventure Zone and wants to play what they're playing.

Rip_Van_Winkle fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Jun 5, 2017

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I still feel bad about giving a 10 year old my 3.0 core books. I used to work at a daycare and he was telling me he wanted to play D&D but his mom didn't know where to get the books so I talked to her about it and got the ok to give him the 3.0 set. A few weeks late I asked him about it and he said it was confusing and he didn't understand.

Had I more money I would have bought him a copy of Dungeon World but I did at least tell his mom about that and how it's a much better easier to understand system.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

But Dungeon World is literally free.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

Teaching kids indie RPGs before they get the chance to play D&D seems like a powerful technique.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Scyther posted:

Teaching kids indie RPGs before they get the chance to play D&D seems like a powerful technique.

It sounds like communism.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Arivia posted:

Even better :getin:

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

Arivia posted:

Sure, they're analogous in some sense.

If you teach your children about indie RPGs/Marxism before society tries to turn them into mindless followers of D&D/Capitalism, the crippling flaws and deeply undesirable realities of the latter become apparent.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

They will want to spite their parents and become ancaps or white nationalists who love pathfinder and myfarog instead

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Scyther posted:

I highly recommend this strat, its worked very well in my own life.

Serf
May 5, 2011

If you have to teach your kids D&D at least teach them 4E.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Teach children to do classical livejournal freeform, then Call of Cthulhu.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
No struggle but class struggle

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Scyther posted:

Teaching kids indie RPGs before they get the chance to AND NEVER play D&D seems like a powerful technique.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Dr Cheeto posted:

No struggle but class struggle

No longer will the martials be held down by the casters.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Xiahou Dun posted:

But Dungeon World is literally free.

Didn't know that. And what would I have done? Printed an entire PDF and given it to him?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I am Rob Heinsoo, and I'm here to ask you a question. Is a man not entitled to the protection of his niche? 'No!' says the caster, 'It belongs to the casters.' 'No!' says the person who's only ever played 3.Path, 'It belongs to to the casters.' 'No!' says the game designer, 'It belongs to the casters.' I rejected those answers; instead, I chose something different. I chose the impossible. I chose... 4e, a system where the martial would not fear the wizard, where the rogue would not be bound by petty stealth checks, Where the great would not be constrained by the small! And with the sweat of your brow, 4e can become your system as well.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Evil Mastermind posted:

I am Rob Heinsoo, and I'm here to ask you a question. Is a man not entitled to the protection of his niche? 'No!' says the caster, 'It belongs to the casters.' 'No!' says the person who's only ever played 3.Path, 'It belongs to to the casters.' 'No!' says the game designer, 'It belongs to the casters.' I rejected those answers; instead, I chose something different. I chose the impossible. I chose... 4e, a system where the martial would not fear the wizard, where the rogue would not be bound by petty stealth checks, Where the great would not be constrained by the small! And with the sweat of your brow, 4e can become your system as well.

I'm just giving fighters in my Pathfinder games adjusted feat-of-strength style casting for like two bonus feats. Simple easy solution, will make grogs flip their lid.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is Mike Mearls?

Serf
May 5, 2011

Mr. Mearls, tear down this edition!

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Scyther posted:

I run a game for a bunch of kids from ages 10 to 14. When we got together for our first "talk about the game and make characters" session, I gently tried to steer them toward Dungeon World. They were having none of that. D&D is what they'd heard of, and they wanted to play that. Marketing is powerful.

We're still playing 5e a year later, and they enjoy the fiddly nature of it that lets them sit around for hours at night making their favorite media characters into D&D PCs and what-have-you. One of them has proposed that I make a Hollow Knight lance-wielding halfling NPC, another is currently working on making Overwatch's Reinhardt as a paladin, etc. I'm still considering transitioning us to a better system, but one of the little ones is on the autism spectrum and extremely ADHD, and there is no earthly way he would be able to proactively hit the XP triggers in Dungeon World. For now, running D&D as as though it were Dungeon World or Burning Wheel works pretty well for kids that age.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
My experience with younger (middle schoolish) players is that they do better with a more structured system. Not overly fiddly, but complex enough that they can play with rule interactions and achieve a degree of system mastery. Hell, when I was in sixth grade several friends and I were playing 3.5, without anyone to teach us, and we did more or less fine. We even figured out that playing a martial sucked by ourselves.

My point isn't that DnD is a great system for kids, but don''t pretend that crunch is beyond their reach. In my experience, crunch is easier for middle school kids than roleplay is.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Middle school kids are at just the right age to get overly involved in mechanical complexities. It's why Minecraft is so popular. Well, that and YouTube.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Every kid born after 9/11 is being horribly ruined by media and the internet don't make this worse for these lost generations by cramming Dungeon World down their throats

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Dungeon World is good.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

It's all relative. I've got plenty of gripes with Dungeon World, and it wouldn't ever be my first choice, but if it's between that and 3e/PF/5e, then pass me the goddamn playbook.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

I'd shoot myself in the head

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

If someone offered me the choice between 3e, Pathfinder and 5e, and in this situation I had a gun, I don't know if my first choice of target would be myself.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
How are experiences with Marvel Heroic Rolepaying? I want to give it another roll when I get some time again, in a live game, but, the last time I ran it, no one could get their heads around the dice system and felt it was a "mother-may-I" system for some reason.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Covok posted:

How are experiences with Marvel Heroic Rolepaying? I want to give it another roll when I get some time again, in a live game, but, the last time I ran it, no one could get their heads around the dice system and felt it was a "mother-may-I" system for some reason.

the sloppy layout of the book makes learning it a pain in the rear end but once it clicked with me i really loved it

one thing that can help mid-play is remembering that by default(meaning no PP or SFX shenanigans) when you're doing an action you basically look at your character sheet and get one dice from each 'segment' of your sheet if they're applicable; your affiliation, your distinction, your power set and your specialty

(not sure what you mean by 'mother-may-i' system, though)

Covok
May 27, 2013

Brother Entropy posted:

the sloppy layout of the book makes learning it a pain in the rear end but once it clicked with me i really loved it

one thing that can help mid-play is remembering that by default(meaning no PP or SFX shenanigans) when you're doing an action you basically look at your character sheet and get one dice from each 'segment' of your sheet if they're applicable; your affiliation, your distinction, your power set and your specialty

By "mother-may-I", they felt like they needed the GM permission to pick dice instead of taking the initiative. As in, what dice can I use kind of situation?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
I hate this meme because as good as Dungeon World is and as bad as most versions of D&D are there's nothing wrong with the platonic ideal of the game that D&D is trying to be, and Dungeon World is absolutely not that game.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

^^^ dungeon world definitely needs a 2nd edition to fix its issues if it's gonna stand along the great pbta games that have been made since it first came out

Covok posted:

By "mother-may-I", they felt like they needed the GM permission to pick dice instead of taking the initiative. As in, what dice can I use kind of situation?

oh okay, i guess there's some of that by virtue of being a more narrative-focused game and not going into the nitty-gritty of 'this stat means hulk can lift exactly this many pounds' territory but i feel like superpowers are self-explanatory enough that there shouldn't really be too much back and forth about what can and can't be attempted at any given moment once players have a good read on how the game works

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I've always found that Dungeon World worked well for high-flying, crazy adventure for me and that third-party and fan-made playbooks that give players more class-specific narrative control than the base playbooks make it a more fun game. A hypothetical Dungeon World 2nd Edition that leans into that extra narrative control and maybe leaves behind some of the D&D-specific stuff would be great, though maybe that's just getting outside of Dungeon World's intended scope.

Brother Entropy posted:

Is there a good "generic" resource for the Cortex system? All I could find when I looked for that about a year ago was something that read like it assumed you already had Marvel Heroic Roleplaying or another Cortex game, but maybe it just also had a poor layout and didn't really understand it. I like what I've read about it and I want to read more into how it works.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Yeah Dungeon World is cool, but kinda showing its age at this point. Fellowship does the same thing but better. And if I was gonna introduce kids to roleplaying games I would go with like Beyond the Wall or a stripped-down d20 game of some sort since that's what people expect and it gives them room to expand into other stuff.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Harrow posted:

I've always found that Dungeon World worked well for high-flying, crazy adventure for me and that third-party and fan-made playbooks that give players more class-specific narrative control than the base playbooks make it a more fun game. A hypothetical Dungeon World 2nd Edition that leans into that extra narrative control and maybe leaves behind some of the D&D-specific stuff would be great, though maybe that's just getting outside of Dungeon World's intended scope.

Is there a good "generic" resource for the Cortex system? All I could find when I looked for that about a year ago was something that read like it assumed you already had Marvel Heroic Roleplaying or another Cortex game, but maybe it just also had a poor layout and didn't really understand it. I like what I've read about it and I want to read more into how it works.

A kickstarter just finished on just that book: Cortex Prime. They already have an SRD ready.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

While it'd be nice to see a post-AWorld edition of Dungeon World, I doubt we're going to get one since Sage and Adam don't seem to be anywhere near as involved with DW in general as they used to.

• Locked thread