Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

I wonder if Chris Roberts has a surrogate in each office...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EC0mTMz9CdM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
I think you mean "kid".

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

AbstractNapper posted:

I think you mean "kid".

I'm more a 'Kid'.

edit: vvv Show us a tree, Derek.

Hav fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Jun 5, 2017

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

milk milk lemonade posted:

Ever heard of a tree or a lake ffs

I don't even know how to respond to that. But it's probably because clueless morons spouting bullshit, seemingly on cue, tends to leave me stumped.

The guy who looked at 4 screen shots taken from one small section of 4 distinct 256 sq. km map, and immediately assumed that was the entire map.

This is why we fight.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

someone please make a 3000 AD thread so Derek can post his poo poo game from 2003 in it.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

big nipples big life posted:

someone please make a 3000 AD thread so Derek can post his poo poo game from 2003 in it.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3792449

Terrible memory, Chris Kyle.

Galarox
Sep 23, 2015

Fun Shoe

D_Smart posted:

I don't even know how to respond to that. But it's probably because clueless morons spouting bullshit, seemingly on cue, tends to leave me stumped.

The guy who looked at 4 screen shots taken from one small section of 4 distinct 256 sq. km map, and immediately assumed that was the entire map.

This is why we fight.

Incoming! Duck and cover! :derp: :derp:

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
noted goode gaeme, lyne of dessenfe

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

D_Smart posted:

This is why we fight.

Just post a line of defense tree picture.

Bonus points if it also shows birds.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
I'm surprised more people didn't complain that Derek took two screenshots of two entirely different things/perspectives when trying to show off his shiny new shaders.

:cmon:, stop being a bitch and just post good screenshots instead of starting another war.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Squadron 42 will fund Star Citizen about as well as the Wing Commander movie funded Freelancer.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

trucutru posted:

Don't worry AP, this will buy us at least five more pages.

I mean they won't be good but they'll be there.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Squadron 42 will fund Star Citizen about as well as the Wing Commander movie funded Freelancer.

Yeah, I'm still trying to wrap my head round the concept of initially pitching one game, deciding to do two, deciding that they didn't have enough money for two, discontinuing the single player, reinstating the single player, then splitting the packs into an MMO and Single player 'cinematic' experience without having base mechanics in place.

Then I remember everything else.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Hav posted:

Yeah, I'm still trying to wrap my head round the concept of initially pitching one game, deciding to do two, deciding that they didn't have enough money for two, discontinuing the single player, reinstating the single player, then splitting the packs into an MMO and Single player 'cinematic' experience without having base mechanics in place.

Then I remember everything else.

At least once every six months, someone realises that we are now so many layers in that it is utterly impossible to explain SC to outsiders. Absorbing that much insanity in one go would make someone go… well… insane. Just collecting it all in one place would probably contravene some kind of strategic arms limitation treaty.

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

:eyepop:

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

D_Smart posted:

This is why we fight.

To be fair to the other guy, you could have taken a screen cap from somewhere that had foliage.

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!
After SC and Shroud finally fail, Lord British and Crobbler should form a new super-studio together to create a next gen Space MMORPG and put their natural skillsets to best use. Crobbler will direct the generation of weekly high fidelity ship JPEGs, and Lord British will run the cash shop where a large selection of space toilets for these ships can be purchased starting at $10 and up (none implemented in engine though). Like literally a two man dream team and a couple artists hired on. They can easily rake in $100-200K a month from whales for another decade with minimal work and live comfortably.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

trucutru posted:

Yeah, that was my first impulse. But I don't like cluttering the thread, and shilling my games. A lot of planetary pics are over at http://lodgame.com/mediapage/

Incitatus
Dec 16, 2005

The Meat Man was out of wings, Mr. William Ash More!:argh:

D_Smart posted:

Yeah, that was my first impulse. But I don't like cluttering the thread, and shilling my games. A lot of planetary pics are over at http://lodgame.com/mediapage/

Where's the fidelity?

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Jobbo_Fett posted:

I'm surprised more people didn't complain that Derek took two screenshots of two entirely different things/perspectives when trying to show off his shiny new shaders.

:cmon:, stop being a bitch and just post good screenshots instead of starting another war.

What are you going on about?

I posted this:

D_Smart posted:

Because creating a scene, is different from lighting it correctly. They may have only just created it, but now need to adjust environment lighting around the base, as well as lighting from the space surroundings.

LoD (2017) // complete and final lighting

LoD (2011) // original "base" lighting

I got this:

Ramadu posted:

thats...not actually a terrible looking game! that actually looks like it has some character. but derek, why does the planet have to be brown :( cant you make a cool forest planet or a monsoon planet or a bunch of coral atoll islands or somethin

So I responded with this, showing that the entire planet isn't just Brown, but has different topology and climate zones :

D_Smart posted:

We have four (Heatwave, Gulge, Nightbridge, Frostbite) different starbase areas on the planet; each with it's own climate system and topology. You can see them all here: http://lodgame.com/mediapage/

The exchange had nothing to do with "things/perspectives" - or shaders. Next thing I know, we're talking about trees, water, and loving birds (!).

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Incitatus posted:

Where's the fidelity?

It costs extra. And it's a DLC. :grin:

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Can I race go carts in that game?

MilesK
Nov 5, 2015

D_Smart posted:

This is why we fight.

Add the Fourth Stimpire to your computer game or GTFO.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

I've been playing Everspace a bit lately and determined that I am bad at space shooty games.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

hot balls man no homo posted:

:stonklol: because this SQ42 is supposed to be able to fund continued development of Star Citizen. It will be a mix of revulsion and nervousness about the game they actually paid for coming out.

This is the amazing part to me. Putting literally everything we know about Star Citizen aside for the moment, think of what they're implying with this plan. A bunch of spergs who paid for the MMO, not the single-player game, are already entitled to SQ42, so they're not gonna provide any income. Anyone even remotely interested in this project has already bought in. None of them bought in for the single-player game. Concurrent users average between 20-30 players - that's for the tech demo of the MMO, not SQ42.

There is literally zero demand for this game.

Now take all the facts you temporarily set aside and layer them back in, like Chris layers in the fidelity. The insanity, the mo-cap, the fact that to this day, 6/5/2017, there is no design document, plan for the game, or functioning game engine, but just a collection of art assets that keep getting refactored.

Now add on Chris Roberts, the Greek god of ineptitude, being in charge.

SQ42 is a financial black hole, not a source of funding. It was said some dozens of pages ago and it was right on the money: Star Citizen hasn't even begun development yet. A broken tech demo, fake cinematics, a flight model that's not much more than a camera moving through a model viewer - these things do not an MMO make.

Or a game. Or anything, really.

CaptainBtaksDad
Jun 3, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
Chris has been on record saying he thinks hes only currently tapped 10% of the market for his game.

lol

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Meridian posted:

Can I race go carts in that game?

LOL!! No, but we've got lots of vehicles:

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

CaptainBtaksDad posted:

Chris has been on record saying he thinks hes only currently tapped 10% of the market for his game.

lol

this isn't even his final form

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

CaptainBtaksDad posted:

lol

LOL!! Yeah. But to be fair, that was around $50m raised. And furthermore.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

thatguy posted:

Don't worry AP, this will buy us at least five more pages.

I mean they won't be good but they'll be there.

I really don't mind a slow thread when nothing is happening. Following this mess has been hilarious but time consuming.

https://twitter.com/SandiGardiner/status/871813562037002240

If he'd fallen off his bike and broken his wrists, productivity would probably have shot up.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

CaptainBtaksDad posted:

lol

:lol::lol:

It's much closer to reality to say that Chris has untapped the market for his game. By overhyping and under(or not at all) delivering, and spreading his cultist bullshit all over the internet, he's created a sense of burnout even amongst people who don't even care about the "game." Adding into the fact that the original Wing Commander titles weren't much more than antipatterns for future space games, and he's done more than any imagined "opposition" ever could to not only kill his own game, but enthusiasm for gaming in general.

Sometimes you have to kill PC gaming to save it.

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
I love Star Citizen, and all it's craziness
GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA
College Slice

phosdex posted:

I've been playing Everspace a bit lately and determined that I am bad at space shooty games.

Its quite a bit harder than I expected. I got to sector 3 once, and promptly dove into a black hole to keep from getting blown up by the talky quest guy that spawned in a gunship.

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT

CaptainBtaksDad posted:

lol

Well there are 7 billion people on the earth and only 1.8 million have bought in already. So using Chris logic, the demand will be enormous!

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

D_Smart posted:

What are you going on about?

Its almost like reading the thread backwards isn't a very Smart idea :smuggo:

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat
Boosh.

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

AP posted:

I really don't mind a slow thread when nothing is happening. Following this mess has been hilarious but time consuming.

If he'd fallen off his bike and broken his wrists, productivity would probably have shot up.

I bet those artists are just thrilled to be more efficiently unapproved again.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

AP posted:

"This is what I mean by girth. it's got to have more girth."

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Hav posted:

:wow:

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Hav posted:

I was chilling with my headphones on watching my favorite news stream in a small window and suddenly there's an idiot making hand gestures at me and explaining stupid poo poo, worst thing is he's the boss. Oh poo poo, that other idiot is going to take a photo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gradis
Feb 27, 2016

GAPE APE

Lets get some chavs from jeremy kyle on. maybe do a dna test as well.