Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
Nah, twas a joke answer. I usually group them.

I used to be a "match the groups to folders" person but I gave up and haven't looked back. It's very freeing!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It's no big deal to let them fall out of sync in a regular project, I guess. The original point was that Xcake makes the sync automatic, and it does help you manage your stuff.

It seems like a lot of people don't have as negative a view toward .pbxproj as I do. When I have needed to use FileMerge to merge the fact that Person A added, renamed, moved or deleted files and Person B added, renamed, moved or deleted other files, I have found it so inscrutable that I just take everyone's additions, go into the project in Xcode and remove redundant file references, file references for nonexistent files, redundant entries in Build Phases, etc.

The pbxproj for a quite small project-- 2 targets (main and test), maybe 40 source files, a dozen XIBs (there's a blech for another day), is about 1000 lines--ridiculously large for what it's actually covering. In modern project formats, you can usually specify a source directory, a resource directory, your dependencies, and a few compile flags and be on your way. Using Ruby scripts to duct tape Apple's bad developer tools into usability is already standard--that's what CocoaPods and even Carthage are.

I'm also growing to believe that it's wrong to hide the raw representations of project/config files from developers. GUIs are great for convenience and discoverability, but you need to be able to organize and version and diff the raw representation.

brap fucked around with this message at 17:48 on May 13, 2017

uncle blog
Nov 18, 2012

Is it possible to rename a project and folders in Xcode without creating waves of issues? I'm using Git and CocoaPods in case that's revelant.

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
Honest question: is it weird that, for source code that's only gonna be used for one project, I don't really care where the files go or how they're organized? I just throw each project's source files into their own directory and call it a day (language & build system notwithstanding).

Every time I've tried to do it the "right" way and have the directory structure match the Xcode groups has just wound up being a waste of time at best, and caused extra work when the Xcode groups needed to get reorganized.

Of course, I don't have the negative view of Xcode and pbxproj that some do, so maybe I am weird v:shobon:v

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

uncle blog posted:

Is it possible to rename a project and folders in Xcode without creating waves of issues? I'm using Git and CocoaPods in case that's revelant.

If you weren't using CocoaPods then probably. With CocoaPods? Who knows. Maybe.

You can change the display name of a project without having to rename the project. Just use the new display name in iTunes Connect, etc.

If you need to rename a file, do it inside Xcode so that it's aware of the change, and it will issue the necessary git commands too.

If you rename a folder with source code in it, Xcode will, of course, no longer be able to find your source code. You can rename the folder that your whole project is in just fine, so long as you didn't hard code any paths anywhere.

Or just throw all the files in one folder (except third party stuff) and only worry about keeping the Xcode groups organized.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

uncle blog posted:

Yes.

But it might not be worth it.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Apple Goons, I'd like to mess around with iOS development, but have no access to anything running OSX to do so with. My understanding is that even using something like Xamarin requires access to an Apple computer to get the job done.

I assume the most cost effective way to solve this would be picking up a generation or two old Macbook of some sort. Are there any recommendations on a model or year of MB that would be cheap, but wouldn't sacrifice a great deal on the development experience? Or would doing some VM related shenanigans on my desktop be a saner option?

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

I think we recently agreed that any Macbook Pro since 2012 will be just fine.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

lord funk posted:

I think we recently agreed that any Macbook Pro since 2012 will be just fine.

I'm currently rocking my Macbook Air from Fall 2012. Aside from my battery lasting all of 45 minutes, it's able to run XCode and apps just fine. Probably not anything super intensive game wise but that's fine for me.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

:hf: ancient MacBook Air club!

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

pokeyman posted:

:hf: ancient MacBook Air club!

Sup bro.

Honestly, been thinking about upgrading but the problem is I just don't need to do it because somehow this dude is still hanging on.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Yep. Nothing in the current line really grabs me and this ol' shitbox is still humming. The Thunderbolt Display helps.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Any best practices when purchasing a used Mac? Expected cost?

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Warbird posted:

Any best practices when purchasing a used Mac? Expected cost?

Nah. But I'd grab an SSD and swap it out if you get one with a spinny disc.

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

He doesn't really stop the puck, but he scares the hell out of the other team.
Is it just me, or is Xcode especially bad about molesting storyboards since 8.3 or so? If I so much as look at a storyboard file, Xcode adjusts a dozen coordinates by 0.5 or sometimes 0.00000000001, even if I let it do its thing and commit the changes. It used to do that but then be happy for one version of Xcode if you let it do its thing once. Now it's every god drat time I open a storyboard file.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

I have a pet theory that opening storyboards on retina vs non-retina screens makes for some adjustments of 0.5 points but I've never confirmed it. Any chance that's relevant to you or your team?

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

pokeyman posted:

I have a pet theory that opening storyboards on retina vs non-retina screens makes for some adjustments of 0.5 points but I've never confirmed it. Any chance that's relevant to you or your team?

This is my theory too; I used to see it all the time when I had an old iMac at work, but I don't think I've seen it since I got a rMBP. I do always still run Xcode on a non-retina external display though, but it may still be something to do with the primary display.

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

On the Xcode device? That could be it. I do switch between external displays and built-in Retina display frequently.

alanthecat
Dec 19, 2005

pokeyman posted:

I saw that, with a corresponding Radar id, being discussed on the iOS-Developer Slack this week.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

alanthecat posted:

I saw that, with a corresponding Radar id, being discussed on the iOS-Developer Slack this week.

Well that's something I suppose! Now that I know there's a filed bug report I can go back to not reporting it myself.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
I only release an app every year and a half or so, but it still amazes me every time that the hardest part of the whole process is trying to get certificates and signing to actually work. Which crazy combination of restarting Xcode, revoking and reissuing certs, and randomly editing things will work this time? :iiam:

Inevitable Ross
Jul 1, 2007
Have you accepted Bob as your personal Lord and Savior?
Even using all of the fastlane tools isn't 100% bulletproof. Running cert/sigh until everything is happy used to be bulletproof.

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

Is there something broken with auto layout in 10.3.1? I've started getting UIViewAlertForUnsatisfiableConstraints in half of my view controllers where a UIView-Encapsulated-Layout-Height constraint has appeared that disagrees with all of the actual constraints I have in place. Picking one of my constraints at random and lowering its priority to 999 always gets rid of the warnings and, interestingly, never causes any layout problems.

edit: It seems that all of the views with this problem contain table views with self-sizing table cells. Self-sizing cells has been nothing but problems.

ManicJason fucked around with this message at 18:49 on May 23, 2017

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

I've completely sworn off self-sizing cells. Can't figure out how to use them without weird poo poo happening. I'm fully prepared to admit I'm doing something wrong. But I've tried so many times and it always ends in tears.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

pokeyman posted:

I've completely sworn off self-sizing cells. Can't figure out how to use them without weird poo poo happening. I'm fully prepared to admit I'm doing something wrong. But I've tried so many times and it always ends in tears.

Agreed. I threw it all out when it broke programmatically scrolling a UITableView to a specific offset.

Ain't nobody got time for that.

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

For what it's worth, they are working for me in several places.. just with these slightly disturbing log messages.

Let's never speak of the time I tried to use a self sizing table cell that contained a self sizing collection view. That also worked for a few iOS versions, but its duct taped logic started blowing up with assertion failures in iOS 9. It was never a good idea.

Huckleduck
May 20, 2007
giving you the hucklebuck
Looks like I'm going to WWDC. :coal:

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Huckleduck posted:

Looks like I'm going to WWDC. :coal:

Speaking of, is there a thread this year for it or keynote at least?

idempodunk
May 12, 2001
Toilet Rascal
Any thoughts on how early to line up for the keynote? I'm not sure what to expect with the venue change in terms of how many seats there are in the main auditorium...

Mikey-San
Nov 3, 2005

I'm Edith Head!
attn people who like to write tests

If you do testing with Xcode using XCTest, you don't want to miss session 409, "What's New in Testing". It is absolutely crammed with new stuff. Should be something interesting there for everyone.

Kallikrates
Jul 7, 2002
Pro Lurker
Mixed feelings on one hand some really nice things in Xcode 9, on another no news about XcodeKit or other extension points. All those radars Apple asked us to file so they'd know where to extend mostly unanswered.

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.
oh my god like 90% of the xcode 9 features are exactly what my team has been complaining about since we started writing swift code. this is amazing

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Groups match the file system now. Nice.

My Eclipse-using brain kept being surprised when they weren't the same.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

dc3k posted:

oh my god like 90% of the xcode 9 features are exactly what my team has been complaining about since we started writing swift code. this is amazing

Yeah, it's some great new features and it seems to even not be painfully slow now?

Too bad I can't use it because I am brain-damaged and incapable of using anything that isn't vim and I assume "all-new editor" means xvim is super loving broken.

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.
oh drat I didn't even think about that. Every time I switch to a machine without xvim installed I end up writing gibberish all over my files for a while until I get used to it :(

Vesi
Jan 12, 2005

pikachu looking at?

dc3k posted:

oh drat I didn't even think about that. Every time I switch to a machine without xvim installed I end up writing gibberish all over my files for a while until I get used to it :(

don't I knpxaow that feeling

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

The OP posted:

Anything to do with coding for anything Apple has ever made. Apple II through iPad mini. HyperCard through Swift.

Where can I find some resources or documentation for OS 7-8.5? I downloaded MPW and ResEdit (CodeWarrior 7's debugger doesn't work on OS X and CodeWarrior 8 crashes on startup for some reason) and got this far with the help of an online tutorial from 1996 and applying GS toolbox knowledge to the Mac. Turns out the Event Manager calls are the same on Mac OS 9 as they are on GS System 6.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Mikey-San posted:

attn people who like to write tests

If you do testing with Xcode using XCTest, you don't want to miss session 409, "What's New in Testing". It is absolutely crammed with new stuff. Should be something interesting there for everyone.

I'll be there!

idempodunk
May 12, 2001
Toilet Rascal
Protip: in Hall 2/3, the bank of seats to the very far left and front (near the TV) have power strips throughout. Looks like it may have been a press area.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

FLOOR_MASTER posted:

Protip: in Hall 2/3, the bank of seats to the very far left and front (near the TV) have power strips throughout. Looks like it may have been a press area.

Nice nice, stealing these now.