Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice
Voice of Resurgence sac to Evolution for Renegade Rallier sounds dirty

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Counters Company is a dumb name and I refuse to acknowledge it

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

triple sulk posted:

What do you all think of Counters Company (https://www.mtggoldfish.com/archetype/modern-counters-company#paper) in modern? Looking to finally get into the format having not really played at all since New Phyrexia/Innistrad, and doing some solitaire with it in Cockatrice it feels like a lot of fun getting the infinite mana combo off. I liked Twin a bunch when it was in standard, so I guess that makes sense as to why I like this. Just looking at the other decks in the meta, Grixis Death's Shadow seems cool, but it feels perhaps a little too focused in its win condition.

The land base isn't cheap which isn't a surprise, but I don't mind since it potentially carries over to other decks.

(Thanks to C-Euro for pointing this thread out)

Counters Company is one of the strongest decks in the current metagame, and the lands + hierarchs are useful pieces for lots of other decks. Seems like a solid choice if you're willing to drop the cash for it.

Voyager I posted:

Maindeck Eidolon of Rhetoric seems questionable in a beatdown deck, even as a silver bullet. You're a beatdown deck and the card doesn't really do anything to facilitate that game plan, so it's going to be really bad in the games you draw it naturally and don't want it for the matchup. I could see if it you're preparing for a meta that you know has a lot of combo, but otherwise it's kind of unimpressive. You might want more Rhinos as well; it's your best fatty in general and probably the default Evolution target except for maybe Baneslayer Angel?

No maindeck Pridemages also seems a little anomalous.

Storm is t1 at the moment and can't really beat an eidolon so I can see an argument for it. Living end is coming back a little as well. In a diverse meta the card does suck though.

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice
Also nulls Ad Nauseam and weakens control. Sort of a tangent, but I often change my deck & sideboard to tailor to whatever the people at the shop are playing and I wonder what pro players do to get a better feel for a tournament meta. Is it just grinding out tournaments and playing online?

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011

triple sulk posted:

What do you all think of Counters Company (https://www.mtggoldfish.com/archetype/modern-counters-company#paper) in modern? Looking to finally get into the format having not really played at all since New Phyrexia/Innistrad, and doing some solitaire with it in Cockatrice it feels like a lot of fun getting the infinite mana combo off. I liked Twin a bunch when it was in standard, so I guess that makes sense as to why I like this. Just looking at the other decks in the meta, Grixis Death's Shadow seems cool, but it feels perhaps a little too focused in its win condition.

The land base isn't cheap which isn't a surprise, but I don't mind since it potentially carries over to other decks.

(Thanks to C-Euro for pointing this thread out)

The deck is real good. Half of your matchups (almost any deck without interaction) feel unlosable, and you can win a lot of the other half if you navigate correctly. If you like to tinker with the last few cards of a deck to suit your local meta the archetype gives a lot of room for that too.

I'm looking into this version myself. It's the vizier combo incorporated into a Knightfall shell rather than the abzan company shell. I think the overall card quality is higher (knight of the reliquary > kitchen finks) and the reflector mages should buy time to bridge you into the grindy eternal witness phase of the game.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

little munchkin posted:

Storm is t1 at the moment and can't really beat an eidolon so I can see an argument for it. Living end is coming back a little as well. In a diverse meta the card does suck though.

My store has a pretty variable meta from week to week so yeah if I were to build it I would put the tutorable answers SB and leave the maindeck as general good/value creatures. Something like this I think, ignoring the slightly un-optimized mana (lands and dorks).

myDad posted:

Voice of Resurgence sac to Evolution for Renegade Rallier sounds dirty

It does but I don't know where I'd put them in the list here, and I kinda want four Evolutions too but could be talked into staying at three. Maybe cut the two Souls and then either a Pridemage or a ScOoze (or one of each?), then add Ralliers? Lingering Souls is really good though :negative:

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

uninverted posted:

The deck is real good. Half of your matchups (almost any deck without interaction) feel unlosable, and you can win a lot of the other half if you navigate correctly. If you like to tinker with the last few cards of a deck to suit your local meta the archetype gives a lot of room for that too.

I'm looking into this version myself. It's the vizier combo incorporated into a Knightfall shell rather than the abzan company shell. I think the overall card quality is higher (knight of the reliquary > kitchen finks) and the reflector mages should buy time to bridge you into the grindy eternal witness phase of the game.

It seems like I could go with the one I linked and at least I'd have lands in possession if I wanted to slot in the few cards that make that variation. Viscera Seer's ability seems nice and flavor wise I don't mind the splash of black. That said, I can see why the variation you linked would be good, too.

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011

triple sulk posted:

It seems like I could go with the one I linked and at least I'd have lands in possession if I wanted to slot in the few cards that make that variation. Viscera Seer's ability seems nice and flavor wise I don't mind the splash of black. That said, I can see why the variation you linked would be good, too.

The abzan build is great too, it's what I play right now. The kitchen finks also make burn a super easy matchup, and saccing your board to viscera seer can let you look at a crazy number of cards when comboing is your only out.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

uninverted posted:

The abzan build is great too, it's what I play right now. The kitchen finks also make burn a super easy matchup, and saccing your board to viscera seer can let you look at a crazy number of cards when comboing is your only out.

Isn't the Seer's thing that if you have the Vizier on, you can just infinitely scry and the Kitchen Finks keep coming back sans the -1/-1 added and you get infinite life and potentially win that way?

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011

triple sulk posted:

Isn't the Seer's thing that if you have the Vizier on, you can just infinitely scry and the Kitchen Finks keep coming back sans the -1/-1 added and you get infinite life and potentially win that way?

That's why you put it in the deck, but it's also just a nice card to have on the battlefield. If the opponent tries to remove one of your creatures, or you want to chump block, you get a free scry out of it. If you're in an irrecoverable situation and you need to draw the right card to win on the next turn, you can sacrifice all your incidental mana dorks and eternal witnesses and so on to try to find your last combo piece on the opponent's end step. Most of the cards in the deck have a similar story, they're part of a combo but they have applications beyond the combo.

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice
The Abzan version sounds like it has some more complex lines, gonna try it tomorrow though I'm missing a few cards (Horizon Canopy, Noble Hierarch).

e: @DangerDongs Duskwatch Recruiter has been huge in testing, it'd be even better if it didn't flip. Also had a singleton Tracker that I liked a lot; both have incredible, virtual card advantage

e2: roughed something out where the backup plan is a soft lock via Glen Elendra Archmage & Vizier alongside Eidolon of Rhetoric

myDad fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Jun 5, 2017

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I played Abzan Company before the combo, and one thing I really appreciated with the deck was that all the creatures like rallier, Voice, Finks, Tracker etc were powerhouses on their own that forced your opponent to react, and then you could just combo at instant speed while you had them backed against the wall from card advantage. The counter companies deck trades away so many of these high value creatures for the parts of the combo.

Has anyone tried a more traditional list, but something more like -2 Melira -1 anafenza +3 Vizier, -2 Wall of roots +2 devouted druid, and just a single Duskwatch recruiter and Ballista. This way you can preserve at least 2 voice main, and maybe tracker / C of Kruphix.

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

I'm waiting for your call
and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart
There's a Team Unified Legacy event coming up in LA, and I'm building the three decks for my team. I figure since you'll only have a 1/3 chance of running into Force of Wills, they should basically all be stupid combo decks. The missus practically only plays Elves, so I'll have her on that and thankfully there's very little crossover with any other combo deck. I'm thinking my buddy and I will be on Sneak and Show and then something with LEDs - Dredge, Storm or maybe even Belcher?

Thoughts on a format where only 1/3 of decks will have Forces? I'm pretty convinced that's gonna be the defining thing for matchups.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
I'd lean towards Belcher because then you're not fighting SnT for cantrips. Also because you're probably not the only team to figure out the general lack of forces, so going all-in on getting under the other combo decks will help there.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Ville Valo posted:

Thoughts on a format where only 1/3 of decks will have Forces? I'm pretty convinced that's gonna be the defining thing for matchups.

It sounds comically unfun.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
There's not much overlap between SnT and Breakfast Burrito :getin:

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

DangerDongs posted:

I played Abzan Company before the combo, and one thing I really appreciated with the deck was that all the creatures like rallier, Voice, Finks, Tracker etc were powerhouses on their own that forced your opponent to react, and then you could just combo at instant speed while you had them backed against the wall from card advantage. The counter companies deck trades away so many of these high value creatures for the parts of the combo.

Has anyone tried a more traditional list, but something more like -2 Melira -1 anafenza +3 Vizier, -2 Wall of roots +2 devouted druid, and just a single Duskwatch recruiter and Ballista. This way you can preserve at least 2 voice main, and maybe tracker / C of Kruphix.

I tried this for a while before going for a full 4/4 on druid on vizier. Honestly going all in on the combo pieces is just better and so much more consistent. The deck feels much less like a toolbox deck now, which is what I really liked about it, but wins a lot faster and more consistently instead. At least the sideboard is still a big toolbox and I often cut some combo bits when sideboarding.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Ville Valo posted:

There's a Team Unified Legacy event coming up in LA, and I'm building the three decks for my team. I figure since you'll only have a 1/3 chance of running into Force of Wills, they should basically all be stupid combo decks. The missus practically only plays Elves, so I'll have her on that and thankfully there's very little crossover with any other combo deck. I'm thinking my buddy and I will be on Sneak and Show and then something with LEDs - Dredge, Storm or maybe even Belcher?

If you're only facing 1/3 forces, belcher is a good pick. Give it to whoever prefers sitting around to playing magic. The average match will run in about five minutes including shuffling.

E: to be clear, I'm assuming belcher has close to 90% against non-fow, and about 10% against fow. The numbers work out very favorably for a T8 spot, but you're banking on dodging forces a bit.

leper khan fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Jun 5, 2017

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011
UB reanimator should be a good pick, it's supposed to beat up most other combo decks.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Ville Valo posted:

Dredge is unlikely to get there since you can assume at least one of the three will have DRS, and I would guess people try to spread out the insane cards, so you'll see a bunch of elves. If you want to next level people you can try the Sol Land decks, since turn one chalices or even three-balls (or thought-knot seers) should be good against the not-Force decks

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Modern fam, there are three upcoming PPTQs in Wyoming that I plan on going to. I've been slowly getting back into it since I sold my stash in 2013, but cards I bought in 2009 and 2010 are worth a shitload more now.

Hour of Devastation will have been released before the PPTQs start in August, but I'm for now going to presume that there are no major changes after the set's release and to the banlist. I'm expecting the meta to be reflective of what it looks like now, so Death's Shadow, (Eldrazi) Tron, Counters Company, Affinity, Burn, Storm, and Dredge.

The decks I have completed (as in: I don't have to make janky substitutions from my card pool) are Skred Red and R/W Prison. I want to be able to compete, so if I"m going to drive for two hours to Casper or four hours to Cheyenne, then I at least want to go 0-2 drop with something competitive. I'm afraid that Skred just isn't going to cut it and I'm probably over worried that R/W Prison is going to have its prison cards eaten by Abrupt Decay by BGx Death's Shadow decks. I can probably buy into another deck so long as it's rooted in red, green, or white over two months.

Typhus733
Aug 30, 2008
I would think any deck with main board chalice and blood moon would be in a pretty good spot right now actually.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Typhus733 posted:

I would think any deck with main board chalice and blood moon would be in a pretty good spot right now actually.

Then why aren't they showing up in the top eight? Is it because the format's saturated with Death's Shadow and other aggressive decks or is it because they are able to beat Chalice and Blood Moon?

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

Ville Valo posted:

I'm laughing real hard at this read and feel like you gotta go belcher or something else that pops off turn one or two so you can also dodge any DnT lists locking out whatever combo

Frozen_flame
Feb 14, 2012

Press A to Protect Earth!
Is there anyone here that has experience with GR Ponza? I'm planning on taking it to Vegas for Modern but some of the minor choices worry me, especially for the sideboard slots. Main questions are:
1) Mortars or Bonfire? I've really grown to love Mortars as an early interaction that can actually kill threats, but endgame Fireball is also pretty sweet. Maybe that's mitigated by Tracker and Kessig Wolf Run?
2) Defense Grid is what I've been running to help vs Control decks, is it effective?
3) Creeping Corrosion for Affinity/Lantern seems sweet, but would a Nature's Claim or third Ancient Grudge be better?
4) Can 4x Chalice fit without breaking the deck apart?

Also general deck advice really.

Deck: Vegas Ponza

//Lands
3 Stomping Ground
8 Forest
1 Kessig Wolf Run
1 Mountain
4 Windswept Heath
4 Wooded Foothills

//Creatures
4 Arbor Elf
2 Birds of Paradise
3 Tireless Tracker
1 Thragtusk
1 Stormbreath Dragon
3 Inferno Titan

//Spells
4 Utopia Sprawl
4 Blood Moon
2 Beast Within
4 Mwonvuli Acid-Moss
1 Primal Command
4 Stone Rain
3 Mizzium Mortars
1 Chandra, Flamecaller
2 Chandra, Torch of Defiance

//Sideboard
2 Defense Grid
3 Lightning Bolt
2 Anger of the Gods
1 Relic of Progenitus
2 Ancient Grudge
2 Grafdigger's Cage
2 Kitchen Finks
1 Creeping Corrosion

Display deck statistics

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Do be aware that your Utopia Sprawls will fall off any shocks you play them on under a Blood Moon, as they are Enchant Forest, not Enchant land.

For the same reason, Llanowar Elves seem better than Arbor Elf.

v-- Fair enough, retracted.

Shrecknet fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Jun 5, 2017

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Dr. Angela Ziegler posted:

For the same reason, Llanowar Elves seem better than Arbor Elf.

If you attach Utopia Sprawl to a basic Forest, then you'll get four mana from the enchanted land if you untap it with Arbor Elf.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Chalice in the deck with a 10 1 mana spells doesn't seem very good.

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice
Bonfire wins games, there's a couple people at the shop with Ponza & I think Bonfire is too good to ignore

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Frozen_flame posted:

Is there anyone here that has experience with GR Ponza? I'm planning on taking it to Vegas for Modern but some of the minor choices worry me, especially for the sideboard slots. Main questions are:
1) Mortars or Bonfire? I've really grown to love Mortars as an early interaction that can actually kill threats, but endgame Fireball is also pretty sweet. Maybe that's mitigated by Tracker and Kessig Wolf Run?
2) Defense Grid is what I've been running to help vs Control decks, is it effective?
3) Creeping Corrosion for Affinity/Lantern seems sweet, but would a Nature's Claim or third Ancient Grudge be better?
4) Can 4x Chalice fit without breaking the deck apart?

Ah, bad decks, my specialty.

I had been playing an Eldritch Evolution version to some success, but it got less good with an uptick in the number of lightning bolts being played around me. Your questions, in order:

1) Bonfire. Not only is it more powerful, and not only does it randomly snag wins through poo poo like Ensnaring Bridge, but it fits the curve better. Ponza really wants to go from 1CMC->3CMC, and if you're not doing that, it's typically not because there's a mizzium mortars target you want to deal with.
2) defense grid is not good because blue control is not good. just play smart and slam a blood moon. if there's some sick on blue moon, well, tough beats
3) Ancient grudge is more versatile and is still good against lantern since they have to mill you to win
4):

suicidesteve posted:

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

suicidesteve posted:

That's when you bring in Threeball and Bosejiu/Cavern of Souls! :eng101:

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Uh.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Trinisphere doesn't change the converted mana cost of cards ya dingus

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Star Man posted:

Trinisphere doesn't change the converted mana cost of cards ya dingus

Yeah, but spending CoS Mana on threeball's added cost will let you get around Chalice

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Yeah, but spending CoS Mana on threeball's added cost will let you get around Chalice

No it doesn't. Trinisphere just adds mana to the total casting cost of the card, but effects that change the total casting cost of a card do not change the converted mana cost.

Spending mana generated by Boseiju or Cavern of Souls to cast a spell will prevent Chalice of the Void from countering it, but Trinisphere just adds to the total casting cost.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

boseiju also gets turned off by your moons and doesn't cast your best one mana accelerant

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Star Man posted:

No it doesn't. Trinisphere just adds mana to the total casting cost of the card, but effects that change the total casting cost of a card do not change the converted mana cost.

Spending mana generated by Boseiju or Cavern of Souls to cast a spell will prevent Chalice of the Void from countering it, but Trinisphere just adds to the total casting cost.

So where exactly is your disagreement? He is saying that the added casting cost from Trinisphere makes it possible to use Boseju or Cavern uncounterable mana where it might not otherwise be possible. This of course stops working if you drop a Blood Moon.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

kirtar posted:

So where exactly is your disagreement? He is saying that the added casting cost from Trinisphere makes it possible to use Boseju or Cavern uncounterable mana where it might not otherwise be possible. This of course stops working if you drop a Blood Moon.

I guess there isn't one. But then what the gently caress are you doing playing janky poo poo like that and not just casting mana ramp spells on or ahead of curve like you're supposed to?

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice
It was a pretty bad joke lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frozen_flame
Feb 14, 2012

Press A to Protect Earth!
Yeah Chalice is a bad idea, hearing that out loud helps me listen to my gut and not make bad life choices. Any SB recommendations over the Defense Grids then? Rest is noted as well wrt what the deck wants to do.