Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
time to try this puppy out

precision posted:

Not that I don't believe him, but as soon as that conversation started I knew for an absolute certainty that it would end with Laura saying exactly that, or something very close to it.

That's how you know you've got a good actor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
time to try this puppy out

And More posted:

Not sure what you thought would be achieved by those spoiler tags. :butt:

At least it's not really a spoiler

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

mallratcal posted:

I didn't notice Odin's eye until episode 3. I could be wrong but I don't think it was as obvious earlier on. :shrug:

Who is odin? This more book poo poo?

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
The insane background jazz soundtrack got a little overpowering in the scene where they were supposed to be having a quiet amd tense conversation with Vulcan.

Also confused about why CG Gun Town had nazi armbands?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

VagueRant posted:

Also confused about why CG Gun Town had nazi armbands?

They were "Nazi-esque." They bore the logo of the arms maker, not a swastika...but given the looks Shadow was getting, the message was pretty clear.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Sickening posted:

Watch last week's episode. Specifically the part in the interrogation room.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012

BIG HEADLINE posted:

They were "Nazi-esque." They bore the logo of the arms maker, not a swastika...but given the looks Shadow was getting, the message was pretty clear.
They...thought he was Jewish?

I'm being flippant. It was just so weirdly heavy handed as to be confusing. Just would've thought making it look like a totally normal town but with everyone carrying guns and staring at the dark-skinned guy would be the more resounding point to make. (US Christians shooting Jesus for being on the wrong side of the border had all the grace and subtlety of a hammerfist but it got the point across!) The Nazi imagery seemed really cloudy and half-baked.

And Vulcan's hateboner for Shadow was weird too. Was the implication that the god of fire/guns was...stoking the flames of racial hatred...to make scared gun owners shoot black people...? Never mind, he's dead now. Whatever that means. But erm, it obviously means something despite that unedited replay of Vulcan's name being stamped on every bullet...because Wednesday said he put a curse on the plant...by pissing in the furnace???

Mad Sweeney and Laura's bants really saved the episode for me.

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

I think since Vulcan was a product of his people's beliefs, it makes sense that he hates/fears black people because his believers do too. The Nazi imagery was way heavy-handed though, I agree.

It would have been funny to make him vaguely homoerotic considering his believers' love of handling hot metall poles.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Sickening posted:

Spoiler alert: they have overtly named this character in every episode since #2...

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Sickening posted:

Just because you didn't pick up on the glaringly obvious, explicitly stated things that are happening in the show doesn't mean it's "book poo poo."

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up
I know the fly is just visual shorthand to remind us that she's rotting and probably still not over her self destruction, but I keep thinking back to Beelzebub in Sandman and I'm expecting demons to show up.

But it's a good thing we have Lucifer so we can explore that universe hahahahaha great job Fox!

Caufman
May 7, 2007
When there's a widespread belief in a personal Jesus, you're going to end up with a lot of personalized variations of Jesus. Beyond race, they ought to be ideologically differentiated, too.

Now what really bakes me is the trinitarian issue. We saw a Latin-American Jesus, one of the biblical sons of God YHWH, struck down again by the sins of man. But did we also see God the Son, con-substantial with the Father and Holy Spirit, who will, on the last of the Last Days, come into his full glory and neverending kingdom on Earth?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Mad Sweeny aka Leprechaun Job is the real star of this show

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
I think it's supposed to be less racial tension and more of a reflection of how insular Vulcan's America is (and how it's necessary to support him) and how Shadow doesn't 'fit' (more ideologically, less ethnically) into that version of America. Wednesday just doesn't give a gently caress and/or is above it, but because Shadow is super on edge, everyone else is on edge around him as a defense mechanism. Shadow is rejecting of Vulcan's America, so Vulcan fucks with Shadow.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
An insular society is going to have unfriendly mores about race even if there are no explicitly supremacist creeds. Like Compe Anansi was saying, they think they're people and everyone else is someone to point a gun at.

etalian posted:

Mad Sweeny aka Leprechaun Job is the real star of this show

That's Audrey's role, tho.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

e X posted:

Mad Sweeney :allears:

He is the true protagonist of the show. Shadow is just along for the ride.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

SpookyLizard posted:

I think it's supposed to be less racial tension and more of a reflection of how insular Vulcan's America is (and how it's necessary to support him) and how Shadow doesn't 'fit' (more ideologically, less ethnically) into that version of America. Wednesday just doesn't give a gently caress and/or is above it, but because Shadow is super on edge, everyone else is on edge around him as a defense mechanism. Shadow is rejecting of Vulcan's America, so Vulcan fucks with Shadow.

No, it's good-ole' fashioned American racism. The show loving bludgeons you over the head with it.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

need a gif of rear end in a top hat wife owning Mad Sweeny in the cab

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

SpookyLizard posted:

Technical Boy alt account spotted

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Sickening posted:

Its been getting progressively more obvious and now its been straight up confirmed.

Wednesday.
Wotan.
Grimnir.

I think Peter Stormare called him Odin at one point already, but it was on the side of the missile clear as day. And Sweeny confirmed he's a god, and which god has one eye and talks to ravens...

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

My dad thought Mr. Wednesday was The Devil

Edit: No, I won't buy him an account

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
The single most disappointing thing about the technical boy is that he is literally smoking a synthetic toad skin and isn't vaping.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

It's not a spoiler that Ian McShane is Odin

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I just noticed that the sword Vulcan made for Wednesday has Yggdrasil on the blade near the hilt. A quick look around wikipedia showed that "yggdrasil" can mean "Odin's Gallows" which makes all the noose references make more sense. Also that Wednesday used the sword to slice Vulcan's neck.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Cojawfee posted:

I just noticed that the sword Vulcan made for Wednesday has Yggdrasil on the blade near the hilt. A quick look around wikipedia showed that "yggdrasil" can mean "Odin's Gallows" which makes all the noose references make more sense. Also that Wednesday used the sword to slice Vulcan's neck.

A quick wiki search of Norse mythology will explain this. That or play CK2 with an Old Gods start! :pcgaming:

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

SiKboy posted:

The eye has been getting progressively more noticable as the series progresses, they went out their way for the light to hit his eyes and reflect differently from each one (I'm assuming McShane is wearing a contact). Both eyes moves which real glass eyes dont do as far as I know, but theres really a limited amount they could do about that.

He mentions his single eye in the first episode.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sickening posted:

It's a guidance satellite system.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Ian McShane gets this pure, calculating, patient predator's expression on his face when he's listening to the wild, self-possessed gods like Mr. World and Vulcan ramble on about themselves and I really love it. Most of the time he comes across as this jovial, cuckoo old coot talking about love and magic and snow, and then there are these moments that show he's actually seeing things clearer than anyone else and is all the more dangerous for it.

(It's this one:

)

BrianWilly fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Jun 6, 2017

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
He has a really great face

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
I love the look he gives after Mr. World mentions how many people Shadow's mom banged in her life.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

OWLS! posted:

But don't you know that Catholics aren't Christians?

They invented it.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

SpookyLizard posted:

The single most disappointing thing about the technical boy is that he is literally smoking a synthetic toad skin and isn't vaping.

Who says you can't vape the secretions of toad skin?

BrianWilly posted:

Ian McShane gets this pure, calculating, patient predator's expression on his face when he's listening to the wild, self-possessed gods like Mr. World and Vulcan ramble on about themselves and I really love it. Most of the time he comes across as this jovial, cuckoo old coot talking about love and magic and snow, and then there are these moments that show he's actually seeing things clearer than anyone else and is all the more dangerous for it.

The look as he's killing Vulcan and then the look as he's pissing on the forge :allears:

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Rocksicles posted:

They invented it.

So we claim.

Capntastic posted:

My dad thought Mr. Wednesday was The Devil

Edit: No, I won't buy him an account

Gingerminge thought he was the devil, too.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Rocksicles posted:

They invented it.
Uh according to this Jack Chick strip we didn't and in fact are in league with Satan to fool everyone into idol worshiping and the Catholic Church is nothing but a gushed up extension of the Pagan Roman Empire Religion :v:

https://twitter.com/Pontifex/status/872052954798444546
Pope Frank must really be into American Gods right now

achillesforever6 fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Jun 6, 2017

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

achillesforever6 posted:

Uh according to this Jack Chick strip we didn't and in fact are in league with Satan to fool everyone into idol worshiping and the Catholic Church is nothing but a gushed up extension of the Pagan Roman Empire Religion :v:
I fail to see why Jupiter being Jesus' father would be bad.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Toplowtech posted:

I fail to see why Jupiter being Jesus' father would be bad.
It actually owns and the Church being an actually remnant of the Roman Empire is cool, but the people who complain about this are the people who listened to some jagoff and his 95 theses and invented a really bad not good awful work ethic that continues ruining progress in our world to this day.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Vulcan is basically what would become of Wednesday if had accepted the offer. A nice little retirement package, but nothing major.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

e X posted:

Vulcan is basically what would become of Wednesday if had accepted the offer. A nice little retirement package, but nothing major.
I think he realizes that what the new gods represents and offered to Vulcan is an unpleasant really superficial form of real basic emotions that lack all the subtleties of what he used to represent. Odin was the rune carver that tricked the world and to whom most adult males sacrificed or concecrated their life , they offer him to be re-branded as a big wmd destroying north korea. They turned the god of really master-crafted sublime ingenious creations into a mass producer of guns and ammo. No loving savoir vivre.

Toplowtech fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Jun 6, 2017

Caufman
May 7, 2007
Wednesday's retirement package would have been swankier than Vulcan's, though. You definitely cannot buy off the allfather with a rustbelt town empty of busty blonde babes with veiny mammories.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Interesting that this episode ended with the god Allah. I wonder if and how that's going to be handled? Or will the Djinn be the only Islamic deity-thing we see?