Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Onomarchus
Jun 4, 2005

Wait, from the last shot I think the goat may have run away. I wonder what that means.

Excellent show, anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

Now I'm back to wondering why the scientists were so selective about who goes through. As far as I can tell, anyone who fits in the sphere can go through, yet they only allow people who are morally righteous and/or mentally stable. Or maybe they just test whether the subject really wants to go or not?

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS

Raspberry Jam It In Me posted:

Is there a real life heart condition that would explain all the Kevin shenanigans like appearing to have no pulse or surviving a gun shot? Like some overdeveloped heart muscle or something?

yes

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

Nothing supernatural confirmed. Check and mate.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Ok

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

So, massacre aside, wouldn't this be the same version of what she told Kevin?

I think the one major takeaway from all of these postmortems is that the writers seemed to have pretty definitively come down on a "The 2% lived on in a world where the 98% vanished" explanation.

It would be wonderful if the DVD/Blu-Ray release of Season 3 had a standalone short/epilogue, like the final season of Lost's "The New Man in Charge," that let us see what the Sudden Departure looked like from their point of view.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

Fast Luck posted:

Nora was getting mad at people lying all episode long. She wouldn't let Kevin back because he was lying and she screamed at a nun for lying, so would she really lie to Kevin? Doesn't seem like it, but then again she got super enraged about the machine and then actually went and got in it, so maybe.

But she had also been lying, to herself and everyone around her, all season long about wanting to go through the machine.

El Jeffe posted:

Now I'm back to wondering why the scientists were so selective about who goes through. As far as I can tell, anyone who fits in the sphere can go through, yet they only allow people who are morally righteous and/or mentally stable. Or maybe they just test whether the subject really wants to go or not?

Based on a hint Lindelof said in his exit interview (he said the test was about attachment) I think the correct answer is that curing cancer or not shouldn't matter to the subject, since they're about to leave the world forever anyway. They should be totally single-minded about that resolve.

Lord Krangdar fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Jun 5, 2017

Jove
Jun 18, 2004

He doesn't come to us...we go to him...BOW DOWN, SLAVE.
Holy poo poo.

Kevin's most powerful Adversary was never *Patti*.

it was himself aka "The Most Powerful Man in the World".

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

Jove posted:

Holy poo poo.

Kevin's most powerful Adversary was never *Patti*.

it was himself aka "The Most Powerful Man in the World".

All Patti ever did to him was try and get him to confront himself.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Onomarchus posted:

So do they keep the goat? They keep the goat, right?
the goat bailed dude. Walked off at the end as Nora let go of the burden of her sins and then the doves and love returned because Nora <3 Kevin forever.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

Gorn Myson posted:

I teared up quite a few times during that. The most emotional bawling I got was right when the credits hit and I realised that we never saw Justin Theroux's cock.

I find it more satisfying to just let the mystery be

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Rad Lieutenant posted:

I find it more satisfying to just let the meat story be

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Goat was my favorite character

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Just saw it and lmao what a joke.

Kevin's superpowers are central to the show, and they are just written in without any kind of validation, just like an 8 year old writing a story where everything can happen. That's the level of writing here.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

oliwan posted:

Kevin's superpowers are central to the show, and they are just written in without any kind of validation, just like an 8 year old writing a story where everything can happen. That's the level of writing here.

Eat rear end poo poo bird

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
It's obvious that Nora was lying, because otherwise people from the other side would've come over before or after, plus the other way around. If only the scientists himself.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

A good thing about this show ending is oliwan has limited time left to ruin the thread

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Eat rear end poo poo bird

Sorry for giving my opinion on the TV forum dude, also whats wrong with eating rear end????

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Can someone tell me what was so important about holy Wayne's kids so that we had to spent multiple episodes with them?

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

oliwan posted:

Sorry for giving my opinion on the TV forum dude, also whats wrong with eating rear end????

Nothing, I was giving you a good option for spending your time. Since your wasting it here.

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

oliwan posted:

tell someone who cares IDIOT!

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Nothing, I was giving you a good option for spending your time. Since your wasting it here.

Well I've already wasted like 20 hours of my life on seasons 2 and 3, a little more won't be so bad

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

oliwan posted:

Can someone tell me what was so important about holy Wayne's kids so that we had to spent multiple episodes with them?

You've been saying season one was superior the whole time, why don't you tell us? To me the time spent on that plot-line is one reason why the first season was weaker.

This finale went back to the tone of season one, isn't that what you wanted?

I think you'd get a better reception if you could defend your own opinions (beyond just saying you teach English etc.) instead of always asking others to defend theirs.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

For me the saddest part was Matt playing Mad Libs with Nora, and him speaking of how afraid he was over the possible outcomes of his treatment.

They fell back onto something they liked to do as kids one last time before going on to face something scary and unknown.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
i'm getting the sense oliwan just doesn't dig the supernatural in his tellyvision

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Escobarbarian posted:

i'm getting the sense oliwan just doesn't dig the supernatural in his tellyvision

He's just a bad poster OP.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
If only Lindelof had told us not to expect answers, perhaps everyone's time could have been saved.

Too bad Lindelof is a notorious recluse who never gives interviews to anyone.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

Escobarbarian posted:

That's not true friend. Like I've said before, Angels in America is my favourite ever story, both the play and TV series.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I think it would have been great if old Kevin wasn't lying and Nora hallucinated her relationship with him.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

oliwan posted:

Well I've already wasted like 20 hours of my life on seasons 2 and 3, a little more won't be so bad

If only people had repeatedly suggested that you not waste more of your time by watching an entirety of a season for a show you clearly don't like :jerkbag:

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Josh Lyman posted:

I think it would have been great if old Kevin wasn't lying and Nora hallucinated her relationship with him.

That actually woulda ruled .

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Josh Lyman posted:

I really thought it was going there for a second.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

The more I sit on it the more I can see Nora telling the truth. Overall I still think she's lying, but I can buy a couple things:

1. The people that went over got what they wanted, and didn't feel like they had to try and come back. Maybe Nora was the first to stop going through with reconnecting. There's also the risk of what if it doesn't work a second time, and you die trying to get back to a world you were okay abandoning.

2. Maybe it was a lot of energy to recreate the machine on the other side, where manpower is so limited. Would be really interesting to see the world from the 2% and just how crippled it is.

3. The doctors in the 98% world are obviously a bit elitist about who can use the machine and wouldn't want anyone being able to operate it. There is also the matter of potentially not having the resources to run it so many times.

4. Maybe Nora's investigation led to the eventual discover and shutdown of the machine by government and it's not longer in use.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Klungar posted:

Lindelof did say that a John/Erika episode and a Tom/Jill episode would have happened if they had 10 episodes instead of 8.

It seems like they had a real tight budget which sucks. I saw where Lindelof talked about how money was so tight they couldn't pay for a new intro or theme.That's why they just kept using different songs on the same old intro.

You'd think with all the critical acclaim the show got that HBO would throw some more money at it in its final season.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

Niwrad posted:

It seems like they had a real tight budget which sucks. I saw where Lindelof talked about how money was so tight they couldn't pay for a new intro or theme.That's why they just kept using different songs on the same old intro.

You'd think with all the critical acclaim the show got that HBO would throw some more money at it in its final season.

To be fair they still got to do a lot. Got to go to a whole new country.

The number of episodes was due to scheduling, not budget.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Fast Luck posted:

Nora was getting mad at people lying all episode long. She wouldn't let Kevin back because he was lying and she screamed at a nun for lying, so would she really lie to Kevin? Doesn't seem like it, but then again she got super enraged about the machine and then actually went and got in it, so maybe.

Everyone else was telling stories and making themselves feel better. The wedding was just a bunch of people having a ton of fun and engaging in silly rituals. Maybe by the end she realized that being this buzzkill wasn't the way to go. She decided to tell a new story about herself.

Ausmund
Jan 24, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

oliwan posted:

Kevin didn't have superpowers. It just looked like he did.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

I loved that Kevin's heart thing proved there was nothing supernatural in the show at all.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

I loved that Kevin's heart thing proved there was nothing supernatural in the show at all.

How so?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Niwrad posted:

Did you read the big Vulture piece? It sounds like HBO did give them a relatively healthy budget, all things considered (Nora's wig in the finale cost $10k, the LADR machine set was $100k, they built all of Grace's ranch exclusively for the production and had to dismantle it when they were done, etc.) Probably could have saved some if they didn't shoot in Australia, but I think that was worth it for the change of scenery.

• Locked thread