Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

ReidRansom posted:

Haha oh man I'd never considered this aspect of the unfilled nominations.

This loving guy

I don't have anything to back up the assertion that it is what is holding up the nominations but there is plenty out there tying each tendency to Trump and the combination of them just makes sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!

Lote posted:

Hasn't a similar issue of religious liberty in the military been spelled out multiple times?

"If at first you don't succeed, cry again" is the conservative mantra.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

FizFashizzle posted:

lol a 25 year old contractor who'd been there for 8 weeks could access this poo poo

lol just lol

Never forget that Edward Snowden was a computer desk jockey for *Dell* when he was contracted to the NSA and stole all the poo poo

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Sessions is totally gonna try and give her the death penalty for espionage or some poo poo. This is gonna be an interesting first case against leakers.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

FizFashizzle posted:

lol a 25 year old contractor who'd been there for 8 weeks could access this poo poo

lol just lol

What is this 'Snowden' thing??

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

my bony fealty posted:

Never forget that Edward Snowden was a computer desk jockey for *Dell* when he was contracted to the NSA and stole all the poo poo

He'd moved on to Booz Allen Hamilton by that point, IIRC

Sinister_Beekeeper
Oct 20, 2012

FourLeaf posted:

I mean, I seriously think the Intercept was just covering their own rear end, they can't be that loving dumb.

Or wanting to throw the leaker under the bus since the leaks weren't flattering to our Russian friends.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

I don't know much about any of this, but everything about the names and language of those groups screams "christian rightwing extremist organization sad they couldn't oppress people" to me.

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011

Spaced God posted:

Sessions is totally gonna try and give her the death penalty for espionage or some poo poo. This is gonna be an interesting first case against leakers.

I agree. Consider how brutal the Obama administration was towards leakers. Now consider how much worse the DOJ under Trump will be.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Well, I don't think anyone ever expected a right-wing shithead to beg for handouts:

https://twitter.com/k_mcq/status/871783117266309122

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.

Ekster posted:

What is this 'Snowden' thing??

I dunno some nerd hacker poo poo I guess? They made a movie about it.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

Mr Interweb posted:

Well, I don't think anyone ever expected a right-wing shithead to beg for handouts:

They are against handouts until they need it.

I'm not even joking.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

empty whippet box posted:

I don't know much about any of this, but everything about the names and language of those groups screams "christian rightwing extremist organization sad they couldn't oppress people" to me.

Yeah the FRC are awful anti-LGBT and pro-life shitheads. Was founded by James Dobson.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Reminder that Hank Jr is an insecure shithead who wears the beard/glasses combo because of a scar he got when his private plane crashed.

Total Party Kill
Aug 25, 2005

reminder that today marks 13 years since ronald reagan died and it's days like this that make me wish there was a hell that his evil old rear end could be sent to. i'm glad reagan's dead

ShredsYouSay
Sep 22, 2011

How's his widow holding up?
I'm pleasantly surprised Trump hasn't yet said Orlando shootings could have been stopped if everyone had guns.

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011

Mr Interweb posted:

I mean, Ayn Rand collected SocSec and Medicare after decades of railing against evil public benefit programs.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Mr Interweb posted:

https://twitter.com/chartier/status/871836069607596033

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Skippy Granola posted:

I dunno some nerd hacker poo poo I guess? They made a movie about it.

Sneakers?

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
I'm probably in the minority on this, but I'm glad that the contractor that leaked the NSA document to the intercept was caught. There's no reason for that document to have been leaked.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

If you're going to leak something just leak it into the nether and wait for every news outlet to jump on it. Don't go specific.

I think that would work?

No, it was the NSA getting their hands on images of the actual document that was leaked that permitted them to determine that it was printed in the first place and start narrowing down suspects to "people who printed the document and physically carried it out". Dumping the image on the web would have done the same thing.

The Intercept should have read off on a phone call only enough of the document to prove it was in their possession but not given over the images of the document they had. The NSA knows whats in the document, its theirs, all the Intercept is doing is proving they have the document. From there they could generally describe the content and ask if the NSA denied it, or describe what they planned to publish and ask if the NSA wanted to deny that was accurate and/or argue it shouldn't be disclosed.

Boon posted:

I'm probably in the minority on this, but I'm glad that the contractor that leaked the NSA document to the intercept was caught. There's no reason for that document to have been leaked.

I would prefer the NSA to not be so hilariously easy to get information out of and I haven't read that document to know if its a thing the public needed to know. But media organizations need to be competent enough to protect their sources so when stuff that needs to be leaked is, the leaker is protected.

evilweasel fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Jun 5, 2017

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Dear Mr. President,

I volunteer to be ambassador to Costa Rica. I will also accept Dominican Republic, Switzerland, Luxembourg, or Australia.

Thank you, and GOD BLESS THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA,
Fitz

I presume there's actually a professional vice-ambassador that holds the hands of whatever random appointee who donated enought to the campaign got the titular position and who does most of the actual work.

Wouldn't you be better off just dumping these sinecures and let the professionals take over. That's pretty much what everybody else does.

Deptfordx fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Jun 5, 2017

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Boon posted:

Yes I too am glad that this woman's life is ruined because she wanted to confirm that Russia had a hand in affecting our election :downs:

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
No, you see welfare helps everyone regardless of skin colworthiness. Whereas private charity will ensure that those who deserve help get help.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Spaced God posted:

Yes I too am glad that this woman's life is ruined because she wanted to confirm that Russia had a hand in affecting our election :downs:

Why not both?

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Shifty Pony posted:

I don't have anything to back up the assertion that it is what is holding up the nominations but there is plenty out there tying each tendency to Trump and the combination of them just makes sense.
A prominent example is Elliot Abrams, a loyal Republican foreign policy hack, was blocked from deputy secretary of state at the State Department because he criticized Trump during the campaign. Same thing is going on all over in the administration, good luck getting nominated if you are on record as critical of Trump.

Even preliminary dealings with the administration has freaked out prospective nominations to the point where they refuse to come forward. One of the first questions they had for Michèle Flournoy, who Mattis wanted as his deputy, was straight-up "What would it take for you to resign?" She declined going any further after that.

Here is a good article to add a little more weight to how many established people have been disqualified because they've been critical of Trump at some point or another. And of course they've been proven to be completely correct.

quote:

Dozens of experienced national security officials who would have been natural fits for leadership posts, many of them former cabinet members or top aides to Bush, signed a public letter last August saying they would not vote for Trump.

“We are convinced that he would be a dangerous president and would put at risk our country’s national security and well-being,” they wrote in the letter.

Between them and the more than 120 national security leaders who had signed another letter a few months earlier, there are roughly 150 top Republican national security and defense officials that the Trump administration won’t consider.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Reminder.

Coal rolling.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
Greenwald's take on the Intercept story:

https://mobile.twitter.com/ggreenwald/status/871832554604818432

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

by the way, one reason you don't share IMAGES OF LEAKED DOCUMENTS is that the practice of fingerprinting documents to know what copy of a document leaked is literally decades old

that sort of stenography is so well known that Internet Spaceship Corporations in Eve Online, a Spreadsheet Simulator, both use that form of stenography and know to avoid burning sources with it

it's even mentioned in a loving tom clancy novel, along with an improvement on it (fingerprinting the words used, not just the image, so the stenography will survive being retyped and quoted)

yet the intercept is apparently too loving dumb to know that exists, jesus loving christ

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Boon posted:

everything should be leaked.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
And thats the story of how The Intercept never got a single leak ever again

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Ekster posted:

They are against handouts until they need it.

I'm not even joking.

Based on things I've seen said by idiot libertarians, I think they're perfectly okay with handouts if they have nothing to do with the government.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

PhazonLink posted:

Reminder.

Coal rolling.

Yeah, but that actually makes sense (in the context of being a Trumptard). This nimrod works for solar, however!

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Spaced God posted:

Sigh.

She doesn't get to make that decision and the document had no ethical concerns in a world where there is currently three investigations and the intel community has already confirmed that the Russians had a hand in our election. If you don't believe that then why the gently caress do we even have government institutions?

This reeks of a woman who was sick of her conservative Facebook friends telling her that there was no evidence and she just had to prove them all wrong.

evilweasel posted:

I would prefer the NSA to not be so hilariously easy to get information out of

What are they supposed to do? Strip search everyone that works in a SCIF on a daily basis?

evilweasel posted:

But media organizations need to be competent enough to protect their sources so when stuff that needs to be leaked is, the leaker is protected.

Yeah I agree that The Intercept hosed up, but that's besides the point that it shouldn't have been leaked in the first place. The fact that something is innocuous could be leaked by an NSA contractor is an actual problem, especially since she didn't bother redacting any elements of it and the loving Intercept actually redacted elements at the behest of the NSA. She deserves jail-time.

Boon fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Jun 5, 2017

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

Mr Interweb posted:

What's sad is that, apart from CRAZY EYES, she looks adorable and like someone I'd love to gently caress the right-wing crazy retardedness out of with my average-sized leftist dong.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Apoplexy posted:

What's sad is that, apart from CRAZY EYES, she looks adorable and like someone I'd love to gently caress the right-wing crazy retardedness out of with my average-sized leftist dong.

no one cares what you do with your sad dick

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011
!!!

FourLeaf fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Jun 5, 2017

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Apoplexy posted:

jesus christ, dude

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Apoplexy posted:

:goonsay:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Apoplexy posted:

"haha if I insult my own dick for being mediocre, people will laugh instead of focusing on my really gross comment about a woman"

• Locked thread