Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011

Zo posted:

Hey i'm under no illusion that we're anything more than above average players. Still, the stars aligned and 3 in a row felt pretty insane.

I hear ya, my first chicken dinner was the most adrenaline I've had pumping through my veins in a long time. I can't imagine what 3 would be like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

My first chicken dinner for duos ended up with 3 left (me, my team mate and an unknown) in the last circle, but we couldn't find the 3rd guy at all (the circle was really small and he was not showing up anywhere. So after looking for him again and again, and testing the outside and seeing that we you would die in less than 5 seconds, we just waited for the final circle to collapse while taking stims/prepping first aid.

My team-mate went down and I was about to go down too then I got the Chicken Dinner. Still puzzled about what happened there.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

i just got an 8 kill solo win. my 2nd ever win. this game is good, no other game iv'e played gets your adrenaline going like this one.

next game I died 5 minutes in

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

We got two duo wins yesterday. First game ended up in a beach with some houses. Last enemies were inside the houses, but they were left outside the circle. We killed them when they came out, rip.

Weirdest moment was when 2 guys with bike and 2 guys with uaz came into our house. My friend shot one guy off the bike, and their uaz flipped over because of a fence, and all three!! guys hunkered down next to it. Maybe they were all friends because they didn't shoot at each other? Well I unloaded a clip to the uaz and it blew up, killing them all.

Another game ended in a field. We went prone and squirmed through the last few circles. Dudes running standing around us and getting killed, while nobody spotted us apparently. In the end I accidentally killed my friend while panicking, but luckily I killed the last enemy too.

We had best success when fights didn't happen in the woods. Trees suck.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

this game gives me an adrenaline rush that I haven't had with the same intensity for years. last time I've had an adrenaline rush similar to what pubg does is when I was 14 having a danger wank in the living room when everyone went out, but came back earlier than expected.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

A tip for those just getting into the game, hold ALT and you can move the camera around without moving your body

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Somehow this game feels a lot like the old Socom games, and that's cool and good.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Fried Watermelon posted:

A tip for those just getting into the game, hold ALT and you can move the camera around without moving your body

also left click fires guns

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

also left click fires guns

you can also use a and d to strafe left and right respectively whilst aiming in a direction without the need to turn.

tab opens your inventory, it's the secret the high ranking players don't want you to know

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
haha I'm making fun of someone explaining the use of alt when my first question was how do you use scopes

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Tekopo posted:

My first chicken dinner for duos ended up with 3 left (me, my team mate and an unknown) in the last circle, but we couldn't find the 3rd guy at all (the circle was really small and he was not showing up anywhere. So after looking for him again and again, and testing the outside and seeing that we you would die in less than 5 seconds, we just waited for the final circle to collapse while taking stims/prepping first aid.

My team-mate went down and I was about to go down too then I got the Chicken Dinner. Still puzzled about what happened there.

The last guy probably fell through the map and was in the ocean directly underneath you. As long as you have stims / bandages you can win this scenario pretty easily

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Anyone ever get a crash with a "Bad service version" message?

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Socrates: is it better to get one kill and finish 3rd or 7 kills and finish 25th -The Art Of War pg 420

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I think the best thing to remind new players is to scrounge for berries in the forest. Its not immediately obvious that they're there and they are a little bit rare. But an immediate use full boost is really nice to have.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Honestly the best thing I ever discovered was one of those bushes. I thought it was just decoration foliage for the longest time, but I noticed it had an interact tooltip popup. Now I know why people love to camp that one part of the map that is a steep hill with loads of forest: height advantage and easy access to berries.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

haha I'm making fun of someone explaining the use of alt when my first question was how do you use scopes

I wasn't answering your question

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
Goddammit. My game keeps crashing with out of memory errors. I just crashed right when i was about to ambush someone too.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.

Loopoo posted:

Honestly the best thing I ever discovered was one of those bushes. I thought it was just decoration foliage for the longest time, but I noticed it had an interact tooltip popup. Now I know why people love to camp that one part of the map that is a steep hill with loads of forest: height advantage and easy access to berries.

my squad and I camp here all the time, we usually pick a bunch until our bags are full and then go drop them off at the houses directly southwest

if we get lucky with the circle placement we can just camp there until endgame and it's so nice having all those meds

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Tekopo posted:

There's a glitch that sometimes happens which allows people to swim under the map. Sounds like it might be the case here.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

THERE ARE NO BERRIES. ONLY LIES.

OtspIII
Sep 22, 2002

Doorknob Slobber posted:

I think the best thing to remind new players is to scrounge for berries in the forest. Its not immediately obvious that they're there and they are a little bit rare. But an immediate use full boost is really nice to have.

Wait, that's real? I thought that was just an elaborate in-joke.

Also, I actually didn't know the alt thing. :cry: I only realized how to use scopes yesterday, around a dozen games in, too. As someone who hasn't regularly played a hitscan shooter since my high school Counter Strike days back in ~2001, these tips are useful.

Edit: I don't know what to believe about berries any more.

OtspIII fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Jun 5, 2017

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

There are no berries in the game. It's a bad joke that goons want to run into the ground, as is tradition.

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
I once had an m24 with an 8x and then I saw someone at about 300 yards and he saw me too so I dropped the m24 and scope so he couldnt find it after he'd inevitably kill me but I forgot to drop my berries and yeah... never making that mistake again :(

Ashrik
Feb 9, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

OtspIII posted:

Also, I actually didn't know the alt thing. :cry: I only realized how to use scopes yesterday, around a dozen games in, too. As someone who hasn't regularly played a hitscan shooter since my high school Counter Strike days back in ~2001, these tips are useful.
Also, this isn't a hitscan shooter. All bullets are modeled physics objects, if the slow motion video shown by the devs is any indication.

OtspIII
Sep 22, 2002

Ashrik posted:

Also, this isn't a hitscan shooter. All bullets are modeled physics objects, if the slow motion video shown by the devs is any indication.

Christ. Well, that explains some things I guess.

Ashrik
Feb 9, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

OtspIII posted:

Christ. Well, that explains some things I guess.

There is definite bullet drop, so changing the range on your sights or using the range-markings on scopes has a purpose.

Bhaal
Jul 13, 2001
I ain't going down alone
Dr. Infant, MD

OtspIII posted:

Edit: I don't know what to believe about berries any more.
They only show up if you have a harvesting tool. Just upgrade your workbench asap and it should show up in the crafting menu. By far the easiest way to get one

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Bhaal posted:

They only show up if you have a harvesting tool. Just upgrade your workbench asap and it should show up in the crafting menu. By far the easiest way to get one

He means the sickle. Similar to how you need a crowbar to open up an airdrop crate.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

VulgarandStupid posted:

He means the sickle. Similar to how you need a crowbar to open up an airdrop crate.

Don't forget about the 50% potency bonus if you use the pan and a cooking fire. Yeah, it's a bit of a rip off from BOTW, but whatever, right?

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
put a pan on your back to block bullets on you rear end

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010
When you prone you can hear footsteps better. Old indian trick.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
the earth speaks to me, there's a guy behind a rock; 215, 100 meters

Teratrain
Aug 23, 2007
Waiting for Godot
Was this engine jank or is it a thing to spam crouch over and over to avoid being headshot? Just ran into a couple of guys that were jittering up and down as they engaged us.

We got wrecked anyway since our group loving sucked but that'd have been really lovely if they'd jittered past a headshot.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Enallyniv posted:

Was this engine jank or is it a thing to spam crouch over and over to avoid being headshot? Just ran into a couple of guys that were jittering up and down as they engaged us.

We got wrecked anyway since our group loving sucked but that'd have been really lovely if they'd jittered past a headshot.

Probably a bit of both. You want to jitter to prevent the enemy from lining up a clean shot on your brainmeats, and that there might be some engine jank that comes along with it is icing on the cake.

Ocatamai
Jun 18, 2004

Perfect and Elegant Maid
Aim for center mass so when they crouch they get themselves headshot for lowering their hitbox. If they don't, fire a three round burst so the recoil bounces upwards into their head.

Griever
Jan 19, 2006

Everything has its beginning
Got 2nd place in my first ever time playing this by channeling Snake.
I'd managed to flank the last guy and should've had him dead to rights with a foregrip-laser-SCAR but I experienced The Fear and emptied my entire clip into his immediate vicinity instead of his body.

That adrenaline rush though, christ.

I need to try making actual friends so I can try squad mode. Maybe a craigslist ad.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Griever posted:

I need to try making actual friends so I can try squad mode. Maybe a craigslist ad.

just join discord

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
Finaly got a duo chicken dinner where I did more then die stupidly. Only 3 kills, one of which was AFK, but still nailing some fool in the face with a K98 was worth it.

Makes up for landing on the school earlier and somehow being in the only place that didn't have a gun.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Squad chicken dinner with all 4 members at full health, gently caress yeah. I only got one kill though, because I am bad.

EDIT: Ok, not full health, but all alive.

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Jun 6, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
It seems like people are getting lower to the ground then me before opening their chutes, is there some trick I'm not aware of.

• Locked thread