Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
You can craft in Way of the strong when divines start being a thing. When you start Way of the demon you can use trash +10 gear to raise your favorite stuff or replace them entirely. I'm close to having a level 200 +20 Raikiri I made from scratch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

SMP posted:

But you don't make any money from disassembling do you? Or are you suggesting to sell the mats you get in return.

The mats. Unless it's been patched, selling the mats gets you more money than straight up selling the item you disassembled to get the mats. Also you won't need all those non-purple (? purple is NG highest color right?) mats anyway.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
You can craft purple mats out of lower tier mats.

CDHiggs
Dec 16, 2016

That night in Point Pleasant. Those red eyes Richard Gere would never forget.

Snak posted:

Don't get me wrong, From is great, but I think Nioh is great because it is really different from Soulsgames. So I mean, I think Team Ninja taking over is better than it being picked up by From.

Since we're comparing games, I've got to give the combat edge to Nioh, but literally everything else seems to fall to From. Worldbuilding, story, enemies, bosses, level design...hell, even the combat looks and feels more visceral than Nioh's.

That said, I absolutely love where Team Ninja is going with this series, and more power to them when they begin development on Nioh 2.

CDHiggs fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Jun 12, 2017

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Woah. Never been quoted from 200 bages back before.

But yeah, I can feel that.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I would love the sort of intimacy and dark nature of, uh, Dark Souls' world design applied to Nioh. If it came down to that or the zippy combat though, I'd definitely want the latter more than the former.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
If any of you are giantferret, I'm sorry I summoned you like 5 times in a row and kept dying to the same monkwheel ambush :smith:

I absentmindedly jumped into the Twilight version of the first DLC mission maybe 1/3 through my first NG+ run and am getting oneshot by everything. I have to dump a Sloth and trigger Discord on like every enemy to be able to survive each fight solo, and even summoned bros are having a hard time carrying me. I need one of those Tome avatars that's specced for throwing damage STAT.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
You know you can just block monkwheels, right? Even in light armor?

edit: Sorry, that came out mean.

They still kill me randomly, but very infrequently since I realized I can just block their entire charge and then dodge around them while they breath fire.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Snak posted:

You know you can just block monkwheels, right? Even in light armor?

edit: Sorry, that came out mean.

They still kill me randomly, but very infrequently since I realized I can just block their entire charge and then dodge around them while they breath fire.

Dark Souls trained me to be pretty adverse to dodging enemies that are rolling at me :v:

I can usually dodge the charge and baiting out the fire breath so I can smack the back face is my strat of choice, my issue is that even when they casually roll forward it does like 4000 damage in half a second. And that has no windup since it's technically not an attack, so it got me like twice like that. Also at that point there's a yokai cannoneer sniping at you all in a narrow corridor, it's a really evil little section they designed there.

Wheelmonks are one of the most annoying enemies for me still, should I just stand in front of them and hold block until they either charge a dash or try and flame me?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
That's literally what I do if there isn't another enemy shooting at me.

I wouldn't call them a fun enemy to fight, but after fighting a shitton of them, panicking is really what gets me killed against them now.

There are fights where a wheelmonk is mixed with other enemies, and even a few with multiple wheelmonks.

That is a whole different deal and no amount of tips of tricks really make that any easier.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
How much is the DLC, and is it worth going into before I've grinded up enough to be useful? I managed to get to a fairly high level on NG+ but I don't remember my exact progress.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
The dlc is a new endgame area on each difficulty, so you can just do it on Way of the Samurai.

The biggest reason to get it before you're ready to start it is to get the new weapon.

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.
You have to be wicked careful with wheelmonks as they will roll you dead in two seconds flat on the higher difficulties. Blocking helps but you will probably get burned.

Sloth them or keep your distance until they blow fire at you.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Snak posted:

The dlc is a new endgame area on each difficulty, so you can just do it on Way of the Samurai.

The biggest reason to get it before you're ready to start it is to get the new weapon.

Oh yeah I'm badly underleveled and geared, like I said I wasn't really thinking and didn't recognize that it was a DLC mission until I loaded in. I know I could just bail out and come back later but my Samurai honor forbids it :hai:

Walking on the backs of a series of summons last night I managed to limp to the last shrine, once I get the last 2 shortcuts opened up I think I'm good. Unless the boss gets a bunch of new moves or something I think I can actually take him normally. He wrecked my poo poo hardcore in both NG and NG Twilight, but I'm pretty good at reading all his moves now.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Monolith. posted:

You have to be wicked careful with wheelmonks as they will roll you dead in two seconds flat on the higher difficulties. Blocking helps but you will probably get burned.

Sloth them or keep your distance until they blow fire at you.

Water elemental shots are very effective.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Let me just lock in a particular line to reforge and mash that poo poo

The Pirate Captain
Jun 6, 2006

Avast ye lubbers, lest ye be scuppered!
That would be very convenient.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
I've beaten Way of the Samurai twice, just finished the DLC, basically at a point where my current skill level is not sufficient to deal with some of these dual bosses and tougher yokai gauntlets. Nobunaga/Yuki-Ona and Tachibana/Honda were both straightforward enough, but Okatsu/Hanzo and Nobunaga/Obsidian Samurai feel very cheap to me (the latter one only because of the gauntlet leading up to it).

Curious, were those latter two fights added in a patch or with the DLC? I took a few months off and I don't remember people talking about them. If so, are any of them necessary for the platinum? It'd be helpful if there's a list of patched-in missions that you don't need to beat.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Deified Data posted:

I've beaten Way of the Samurai twice, just finished the DLC, basically at a point where my current skill level is not sufficient to deal with some of these dual bosses and tougher yokai gauntlets. Nobunaga/Yuki-Ona and Tachibana/Honda were both straightforward enough, but Okatsu/Hanzo and Nobunaga/Obsidian Samurai feel very cheap to me (the latter one only because of the gauntlet leading up to it).

Curious, were those latter two fights added in a patch or with the DLC? I took a few months off and I don't remember people talking about them. If so, are any of them necessary for the platinum? It'd be helpful if there's a list of patched-in missions that you don't need to beat.

Most of the postgame missions were added in a patch.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
That's a relief. I suddenly got a bug in my bonnet to plat this game but that desire fizzled when I went up against some of those missions. Meeting on Another Shore and Nioh are the only two dual bosses from the base game, correct?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I just go back to those when I'm like halfway through Way of the Strong.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Buffing my thrown weapons with Nekomata/Bunny Rabbit and assorted accessories was enough to do in the nastier halves of Meeting on Another Shore and Nioh before they became a problem, not so with these new ones. The ninja fight especially feels like something I'm just gonna have to grind my way out of because it leaves virtually no openings.

Calling it now, there's a loving Date Masamune/Shigazane dual fight isn't there? lol I bet he's in centipede form.

One_Wing
Feb 19, 2012

Handsome, sophisticated space elves.
Ugh I'm currently doing post game stuff on Way of the Strong and if anything I think "Secrets of the Dead" is even worse than the dual fights. I finally beat it just now after three solid hours of attempts. I cheesed the human enemy at the end with moon shadow stun lock, I'm not sorry and I'd do it again.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
If this stupid loving piece of poo poo game would stop eating my clan rewards so I can get my stupid lovely skin I'd really appreciate it.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
1.12 adds a resource that allows you to choose your bonus from a list when you reforge. It will also keep the cursor on the last bonus you tried to reforge.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
1.13 already, what did yesterday's patch break?

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

Takes No Damage posted:

1.13 already, what did yesterday's patch break?

Forging. Bunch of people found themselves unable to craft certain items, such as Spears.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
I finally got back to playing Nioh tonight after ignoring it for the last couple of months. I was worried that after all the time I spent away from it, I'd have lost the muscle memory needed to play it. I think I still have a grip on it, though.

Picking up from where I left off, I'm in the ninja fortress, and I can't beat the ninja frog boss. On one of my attempts, I managed to get him down to a sliver a health left only for him to kill me :shepcide: For the most part, I can attack him fine when he's doing his big spear thrust attack by dodging/rolling off to his side and then attacking, but on my last attempt before giving up, I started getting the timing wrong where he'd still hit me. The first half isn't too hard, but when he starts leaving yokai pools and tossing bombs and stuff everywhere, that's where I trip up. I found that it was easiest to dodge the bombs by rolling towards him, but I can't figure out what you do when one sticks to you. I figured you had to do a roll to shake it off, but it seems like you've got to do two rolls for it to work.

One of the things I wanted to ask about was with weapon familiarity. Right now I'm using a spear to try and fight ninja frog, but I'm actually using a spear that doesn't do quite as much damage as the one I was using previously, but has a larger familiarity bar. What I've been trying to do is max out the familiarity of the weapons I have so I can use them for Soul Matching later on.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Block the bombs

Catfishenfuego
Oct 21, 2008

Moist With Indignation

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

Block the bombs

More specifically, the bombs stuck to you can still be blocked when they explode, so just hold block when it's about to go off.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Also I don't think weapon familiarity has any affect on soul matching. Your first playthrough you can ignore all that and just use the best drops you find.

For frogboss phase 2 save up some Sloth talismans and maybe try to hold on to living weapon until then.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Weapon familiarity is necissary for inheriting abilities.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Takes No Damage posted:

For frogboss phase 2 save up some Sloth talismans and maybe try to hold on to living weapon until then.

I haven't really put many points into magic, but I think I've got a lot of Onmyo Mage Locks that I haven't used, so I think that might be doable.

Snak posted:

Weapon familiarity is necessary for inheriting abilities.

Yeah, you have to reach maximum familiarity in order for abilities to carry over.

A dumb question: How much of a difference in difficulty do stats, armor, and weapon damage make? One of the things I picked up on while playing Dark Souls 1 in lieu of playing Nioh is that upgrading your weapons vastly helps in defeating enemies without issue. I ask because I've seen clips of Nioh in the late-game/post-game, and I see that weapons damage goes up to the four-digit range. I was curious if it was possible to get weapons that can take out strong foes or bosses in just a few hits, or if it just scales along with the enemies.

EDIT: Additionally, what's the consensus on the DLC? I haven't been following it, and I don't know if it's all come out yet, but I heard one of them added new weapon types.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Gear is super important. Way more important than in Dark Souls.

The short answer to your question is yes, it's possible to get gear that lets you kill bosses in 1 hit.

The long answer is... because, unlike dark souls, you can replay bosses and missions, and there are 3 difficulty modes (2 without the DLC), you won't normally be able to kill "new" bosses in only a few hits, but because of how the game scales, you will easily be able to kill early bosses in a few hits.

It's not really like Dark Souls at all in terms of being able to use a joke weapon an succeed by skill. It's like Diablo, where you need sick loot to do good damage. Mad skills will get you pretty far, but the difference in damage between low level gear and high level gear is many times what it is in dark souls.

I recommend the DLC. The new weapon is great, and the new missions (there are only 2) are quite large and cool. Some of the best missions, I think.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
3 if you include Gilded Deception, which is a whole level with 9 kodama and what would be considered a boss fight in a Souls game at the end.

Also I think I might plat this, just Samurai of Legend and Regular Smith Customer to go. Only quest I have left is the katana dojo mission.

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.
I would also recommend that you find a set of armor with bonuses you like find a good weapon to stick with and then upgrade both. Don't branch out to another armor set. You will go broke very quickly if you try to Soul match two sets of armor

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
I would recommend doing neither of those things and just using stuff you find because like, it's fine, at least as long as you're not in NG+. No idea where it really starts to matter. Only exception might be upgrading a few weapons with different elements so you can exploit weaknesses.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, you shouldn't be soulmatchingngear to keep it your level, that's super expensive. It's trivially easy to find or craft the same gear at a higher level.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
There's actually a sweet way to get all your forging, soul matching, and reforging done for free:

Just make sure your favorite set is Red Demon, Warrior of the West, or Kingo and thousands of poor sods will pay to do those things for you. Don't be like me using obscure armor set-ups that I have to forge and reforge myself because no one wears them end-game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

I would recommend doing neither of those things and just using stuff you find because like, it's fine, at least as long as you're not in NG+. No idea where it really starts to matter. Only exception might be upgrading a few weapons with different elements so you can exploit weaknesses.

You unlock another tier of quality in ng+, I wouldn't bother forging or soul matching until then. In ng just hang on to any weapon with an elemental effect and wear the best armor that keeps you in your desired weight class.

Edit: I thought the first dlc was at least on par with the base game, if you finish ng it's definitely worth it.

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Jun 30, 2017