Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Femur posted:

Their defense is poo poo, not improving during the regular season was probably a big mistake, as was playing Lebron 40+ mins a game, he's gassed now.

BitterAvatar posted:

Is KD really that good that's he is just exhausting Lebron on both ends or is more about a lack of production from the Cavs, forcing Lebron to expend precious life force on the court?

Even if CLE had a great defense it's questionable if they could stop this team. KD made two or three shots last night that looked alien.

LBJ isn't that gassed/running out of life force. His numbers are big it's just that he can't do it alone. You can't expect LBJ to put up 50/20/20 games in the finals against 2017 GSW. Even if he did that I'm not sure it's enough. Somebody else on the team NEEDS big games like Kyrie had last year.

SamuraiFoochs posted:

...Miami owned the villainy. I don't see that from GSW.

LBJ and Miami owned the villainy in 2011 and they lost in the finals. LBJ has said it was the wrong mindset to have. In 2012 and 2013 they dropped that and won two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

I feel better knowing that everyone else could see this is bullshit and not just Cavs fans.

Like there is seriously nothing the Cavs could realistically do barring LeBron, Kyrie and someone else having freak of nature games right now.

Durant is a coward. I'm trying my best o step away from the situation look at it from non-homer eyes and that's the only conclusion I could reach.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
Kevin Durant's biggest crime was betraying my friend metapod, and for that he is now my enemy

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Coward?? He was a fa and went were he wants.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Dejan Bimble posted:

Yeah he got in depth on the topic early on when hejust had a sometimees weekly podcast. The story was that Sam Mitchell was trying to show up the team and benched Rose and maybe Mo Pete whenthey tried doubling Kobe. So there's a sam mitchell asterisk on the 81.

I suppose there's an asterisk but it might not have mattered. His 60 points in 3 quarters against the mavs shortly before the 81 game easily could have been another 80+ game if Kobe hadn't sat the 4th because blowout, and I don't remember the mavs coaches refusing to double the dude who was torching them.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

euphronius posted:

Eh.

I mean I get it. But you look at the team he left? I think he could have beaten these guys. LeBron in hindsight...taking off the homer goggles? He had nothing. Can't blame him for going "gently caress this poo poo" and going to Miami. The team Durant left made the playoffs thanks to the efforts of one Russell Westbrook. The team LeBron left? Had one of the longest losing streaks in NBA History the year after and was in the lotto the very next year.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

BobHoward posted:

I suppose there's an asterisk but it might not have mattered. His 60 points in 3 quarters against the mavs shortly before the 81 game easily could have been another 80+ game if Kobe hadn't sat the 4th because blowout, and I don't remember the mavs coaches refusing to double the dude who was torching them.

No doubt, half of that team of 5'6 white guys Wilt Scored 100 on were probably hungover or something like that. it takes extreme circumstances for extreme outcomes to emerge

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

euphronius posted:

I mean, I understand someone's opinion that he was within his rights and likely made the best move for his career and still not like it.

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

best move for his career implies he wasnt already on a team with heavy odds to win a championship every year. but he was

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

FuzzySkinner posted:

Eh.

I mean I get it. But you look at the team he left? I think he could have beaten these guys. LeBron in hindsight...taking off the homer goggles? He had nothing. Can't blame him for going "gently caress this poo poo" and going to Miami. The team Durant left made the playoffs thanks to the efforts of one Russell Westbrook. The team LeBron left? Had one of the longest losing streaks in NBA History the year after and was in the lotto the very next year.

Also KD's team WAS UP 3-1 IN THE WCF with a young core and no real signs of trouble until KD left.

He might not be a coward for it but if you seriously try to argue he didn't take the easy way out even more than LeBron did then you're hopeless.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
I was genuinely excited for a Westbrook/Oladipo/Durant trio and the idea that there could've been 5 legit contenders in the west but instead it's only the Spurs and whatever team has it in them to injure Kawhi Leonard, the second best player in the NBA

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

FuzzySkinner posted:

Eh.

Playing with Russ sucks loving rear end

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

Is it true he blasts Taylor Swift in the locker room

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Also KD's team WAS UP 3-1 IN THE WCF with a young core and no real signs of trouble until KD left.

He might not be a coward for it but if you seriously try to argue he didn't take the easy way out even more than LeBron did then you're hopeless.

Yep.

EvanTH posted:

I was genuinely excited for a Westbrook/Oladipo/Durant trio and the idea that there could've been 5 legit contenders in the west but instead it's only the Spurs and whatever team has it in them to injure Kawhi Leonard, the second best player in the NBA

I was hoping we could see some like spurs-cavs, thunder-cavs, clipper-cavs finals.

The idea of guys like Leonard, Durant/Westbrook/Oladipo and Paul/Griffin/Jordan going against Kyrie/LeBron/Love had me drooling.

Instead.

This is what we're stuck with.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Ghost Dog posted:

best move for his career implies he wasnt already on a team with heavy odds to win a championship every year. but he was

His new team has way better odds.

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

Lockback posted:

His new team has way better odds.

ok. so would lebron if he signed minimum on the warriors after the 1st season with the cavs. i believe he had an opt out after 1st or 2nd year? either way, calling it "the best move for his career" would be incredibly disingenuous. saying it like that implies his career was going downhill cause of the team he was on and thats demonstrably false.

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP
Yes those 3 scoring champions and MVPS were truly the pits..

Zogo posted:

Even if CLE had a great defense it's questionable if they could stop this team. KD made two or three shots last night that looked alien.

LBJ isn't that gassed/running out of life force. His numbers are big it's just that he can't do it alone. You can't expect LBJ to put up 50/20/20 games in the finals against 2017 GSW. Even if he did that I'm not sure it's enough. Somebody else on the team NEEDS big games like Kyrie had last year.

LBJ and Miami owned the villainy in 2011 and they lost in the finals. LBJ has said it was the wrong mindset to have. In 2012 and 2013 they dropped that and won two.

A good defense would atleast give them semblance of control, and less likely that a streak will prolong into a run.

He looked gased to me, didn't shot much 2nd half game 2. Both games have been blown open in the 3rd quarter. If you're the king of the court, and your role players are poo poo, just score. He couldn't, didn't try, worried about this advanced stats maybe then? I was giving him benefit of doubt, but maybe he's a stat nerd and didn't want his stats hurting for the Jordan legacy war.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

Ghost Dog posted:

ok. so would lebron if he signed minimum on the warriors after the 1st season with the cavs. i believe he had an opt out after 1st or 2nd year? either way, calling it "the best move for his career" would be incredibly disingenuous. saying it like that implies his career was going downhill cause of the team he was on and thats demonstrably false.

if lebron had been playing for a few years for a team that was frustratingly close and couldn't quite put together the proper moves to geth them over the hump and then did this, yeah (he did this but also got paid and went to a no income tax state with his banana boat buds and hell, it was good!)

btw never forget KD's team traded away harden because the cheapass rightwing thief owners didn't wanna pay a bit of luxury tax, then one killed himself, and they never hired a coach that could reign in Russ' bad tendencies and turn him into an all world winner, why would KD want to peace out after they blew a 3-1 series lead, especially when it's such a cool city to live in?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Ghost Dog posted:

He gets to play way less minutes (which is important given his lower body injuries) if he signs a 4 year contract he'll only be missing out on less than 5% of the contract value (which is why he signed a short contract) and he's implied he's made up more than that with new opportunities (which I dunno if I believe was something he had to go to the Warriors, but he seems to).

It's his career and this is what he thinks is better for him. I'm not sure why people think they can argue otherwise.

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

the thunder are dumbasses but its kind of impossible to frame this as punishing a bad team because you know...they were a good team. a very good team. and again, no the thunder were not "frustratingly close". they were there. they werent failing in early playoff series, they were beating up on the best teams in the league. they were all but guaranteed another shot at the title and they likely would have won too. any failure to do so would be on the players not performing, kd included.

last years thunder team was arguably better than the actual champions team. I don't necessarily agree with that but its a defensible position to have.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Ghost Dog posted:

calling it "the best move for his career" would be incredibly disingenuous. saying it like that implies his career was going downhill cause of the team he was on and thats demonstrably false.

No it literally was the best move. Using the word best doesn't have strings attached to it.

RCarr fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Jun 6, 2017

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP
Was it better? too bad they proceeded to trade Ibaka.. so.. build for that future you crazy oil billionaires.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Dejan Bimble posted:

No doubt, half of that team of 5'6 white guys Wilt Scored 100 on were probably hungover or something like that. it takes extreme circumstances for extreme outcomes to emerge

excuse me i will have you know that the 1962 Knicks featured at least 4 black dudes and nobody was shorter than 6'2". BUt I guess yeah sure only three dudes were taller than 6'8" whatever. And yeah sure OKAY their tallest player was a 6'10" native american and yes he was too hungover to play during the 100 point game
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phil_Jordon
but still c'mon what the heck

I already forget who Booker scored 70 against

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

RCarr posted:

No it's literally a fact that it was the best move. Using the word best doesn't have strings attached to it.

words and phrases do, actually, have meaning rcarr im sorry but i looked it up and i think its true

or its wrong and i looked it up and it still says its true but if this is the reality we live in its gonna be rough times

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Time posted:

Kevin Durant's biggest crime was betraying my friend metapod, and for that he is now my enemy

thank you friend

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

hello reggie jackson let me be the first to say gently caress you for deciding to stop trying till you were traded

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Away all Goats posted:

Is it true he blasts Taylor Swift in the locker room

T. Swift:K. Perry::K. Durant:R. Westbrook ??
https://streamable.com/7cdi

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

EvanTH posted:

I already forget who Booker scored 70 against

My boys, and the Suns still lost pretty badly, so I was able to root for both my son and my actual boys.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

In just don't see why he had any obligation to return to Okc.

Like if Durant appeared out of nowhere last summer and could pick anywhere to go, who cares where he goes.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Ghost Dog posted:

words and phrases do, actually, have meaning rcarr im sorry but i looked it up and i think its true

or its wrong and i looked it up and it still says its true but if this is the reality we live in its gonna be rough times

How does using the word best have to imply his career was going downhill? That makes no sense. Like now that he's the best player in the league, it doesn't suddenly mean LeBron is some bum.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

euphronius posted:

why does everyone think this is the issue? Durant leaving is and was perfectly fine. The issue was HE WENT TO A TEAM THAT WON 73 GAMES THAT HE HAD A 3-1 ON IN THE WCF

E: Another issue is that KD won't shut the gently caress up and has to keep trying to justify his decision to the public

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

euphronius posted:

Like if Durant appeared out of nowhere last summer and could pick anywhere to go, who cares where he goes.

It's not even about returning to OKC or not.
Like I could understand him going to Boston, The Lakers or The Wiz at this point. Just drat...he made basketball really not fun to watch.

Like has anyone here had a good time watching playoff basketball this year? I mean I enjoyed the Cavs run and all, but man.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I enjoyed watching he cavs and the first 3 quarters last night were cool.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
It's really good to watch the warriors play, you should feel good about watching them.

It's okay to hope their owner suffers a heart attack loving the Larry Obrien trophy tho

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized
KD wanted to win a championship so signed for the best situation to win a championship.

The end.

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

RCarr posted:

How does using the word best have to imply his career was going downhill? That makes no sense. Like now that he's the best player in the league, it doesn't suddenly mean LeBron is some bum.

"best move for my career" reads like someone resigning in disgrace. like thats probably when its been used the most. or best move for my family, etc etc. its a dismissive thing that either simplifies something complex like joining a new team into something dumb like BETTER TEAM=BETTER or its meant as a handwave for further questions as to why you did something. maybe that doesnt apply and im being dumb it wouldnt be the first time

also was The Decision the only thing you never hated lebron on or are you being kind of a hypocrite. i gotta know, the people want to know

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

It's really good to watch the warriors play, you should feel good about watching them.

It's okay to hope their owner suffers a heart attack loving the Larry Obrien trophy tho

Ahah almost forgot that Joe Lacob bragged about loving the trophy. I like to think of myself as a fair sports watcher but I really cannot root for the yellow team here

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

of what

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized

The end of laughter and soft lies.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Ghost Dog posted:

"best move for my career" reads like someone resigning in disgrace. like thats probably when its been used the most. or best move for my family, etc etc. its a dismissive thing that either simplifies something complex like joining a new team into something dumb like BETTER TEAM=BETTER or its meant as a handwave for further questions as to why you did something. maybe that doesnt apply and im being dumb it wouldnt be the first time

also was The Decision the only thing you never hated lebron on or are you being kind of a hypocrite. i gotta know, the people want to know

I've known lots of people who left good jobs for better jobs because it was the best move, I've never known that phrase to have any sort of disgrace or anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Bieber shows us the way forward.

https://mobile.twitter.com/justinbieber/status/871872331135807489

• Locked thread