Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N
Truly, the natural-sounding and not at all machine-translated rallying cry of a generation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

So, uh, is the implication that the UK is about to declare war on France over football?

Then again, give it some time for Brexit to take off, crash and burn...

hambeef
Aug 21, 2004

Hargrimm posted:

Truly, the natural-sounding and not at all machine-translated rallying cry of a generation

No Goal.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

NOH GOHRU

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Hidingo Kojimba posted:

So, uh, is the implication that the UK is about to declare war on France over football?

Then again, give it some time for Brexit to take off, crash and burn...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Football_War

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Hidingo Kojimba posted:

The moral here is quite clear. No good ever comes from wanting to blow up the moon. Also your favourite children's entertainer sells drugs to kids, innocence is a lie and hope is dead.

She wasn't selling drugs. She was stealing souls! Entirely different.

Parts of souls, even.

I like the balance they struck, where Shiny Chariot is still clearly the better person of the two (making the world a better place with nasty incidental costs V. starting WWIII over a drat soccer match), but she was involved in enough questionable actions that Croix's whole "Where the hell do you get off criticizing me?" is a legitimate position.

Never seriously crossed my mind that the prof would have things to feel legitimately guilty about, and it makes some parts of the show flow much better. Nice touch.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
I really like the writing that went into Andrew over the course of the show, and also that it really does seem like the end result of him and Akko's relationship just seems to be Some Good Buds, one of whom was inspired to become a better person by the other. Him being the only important male character would likely have seemed tempting to make him into a love interest or something, but it really seems like they're not going in that direction and I commend the writing for it.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

I wonder if the moon has something to do with the Grand Triskelion. Perhaps she was trying to destroy the seal on it by force AKA blow up the moon? Croix's device is also aimed toward the sky, so she might have the same goal in mind.

It seems as though Chariot used dream magic as a last ditch effort to complete the ritual when she failed to find the 7th word, and eventually gave up her efforts after the magic wasn't strong enough. She lost the rod after the attempt failed, and then became a teacher in hiding until she came across Acco.

Daedalus1134
Sep 14, 2005

They see me rollin'

Well Diana still has her magic, and she was at the same childhood show Akko was at, so either it takes multiple shows to ruin your potential, or Ursula has been guilted into believing she was ruining childrens' futures by Croix.

Looking forward to Akko blowing up the moon.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Maybe the moon is just full of magic.

Blow up the moon Akko!

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~
Oh wow, it has been a while since a show got an audible gasp out of me. I was not prepared for that reveal.

I already can't stop speculating about next episode.

A despairing Akko hitches a ride on the rogue super-broom and goes to the moon to find some answers and/or blow it up. But when she gets there, she finds the true source of all magical power.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

Daedalus1134 posted:

Well Diana still has her magic, and she was at the same childhood show Akko was at, so either it takes multiple shows to ruin your potential, or Ursula has been guilted into believing she was ruining childrens' futures by Croix.

Looking forward to Akko blowing up the moon.
Did you forget that Diana lost her magic

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Malloc Voidstar posted:

Did you forget that Diana lost her magic

Yeah she did she just worked really hard to get it back.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Hargrimm posted:

NO ERA PENAL

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
I think she is/was storing the magic in the moon?

I think Ursula is losing her magic slowly or has a limited amount left which is why she left her broom behind so I guess the effects of the pollen aren't instant

pretty hosed up that Croix is literally the bad guy from Monsters Inc

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Jesus.... And Croix was trying to stop Chariots show in the past. She was trying to stop her. Holy poo poo.

Edit: Also before there was a theory that Croix can't use magic anymore because she got hit by the pollen (shes never cast a spell in the show yet). I think theres a much better explanation now that fully justifies her bitterness towards Chariot.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Jun 5, 2017

Daedalus1134
Sep 14, 2005

They see me rollin'

MonsterEnvy posted:

Yeah sorry I worded that bad, just that the effect is not irreversible. I think Ursula/Croix would have given it more investigation if they knew Diana had been there and had overcome it somehow. Still an amazing twist either way.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I wonder if this is the reason Croix is trying to drain negative emotions? She's seen what happens when you go for positive ones.

I also reckon that the timeline here was that Chariot tried to gather magic from positive emotions, she realised what the side-effects were, and then when she tried to shut the whole thing down, the built-up magic went out of control and blew a chunk out of the moon. This wasn't deliberate, but a huge, terrible mistake.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

MonsterEnvy posted:

Diana's mother probably passed her magic on to DIana and in turn ended her own life.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

MARK & SPONCERS

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

YouTuber posted:

Diana's mother probably passed her magic on to DIana and in turn ended her own life.

Chariot is a murderer.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Akko can and does cast magic. She might not have any talent for it but it's clearly not an unrecoverable condition.

I wonder how well-known the whole Chariot business is. She was not respected in the magic world, after all.

Tenebrais fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Jun 5, 2017

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties
Chariot = ... Charlatan?!

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Nephthys posted:

Jesus.... And Croix was trying to stop Chariots show in the past. She was trying to stop her. Holy poo poo.

Edit: Also before there was a theory that Croix can't use magic anymore because she got hit by the pollen (shes never cast a spell in the show yet). I think theres a much better explanation now that fully justifies her bitterness towards Chariot.

Yeah, wow, I think the part that hit me the hardest was seeing how that fantastic and magical innocent extravaganza at the beginning of the show just took on a whole other level of darker meaning. It's like this beautiful, wonderful little event that enchants the audience (and the viewer) -- the reveal is just shocking! It's kind of like emotional whiplash, a sense of betrayal almost. Really well done episode!

To paraphrase the immortal words of some Paradox Forums poster:

quote:

The level of betrayal I felt when Chariot gave her show tore something from me that I'll never be able to recover. They tore away my ability to respect anything, and they tore away my ability to feel human.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Tenebrais posted:

Akko can and does cast magic. She might not have any talent for it but it's clearly not an unrecoverable condition.

Her extreme lack of talent - to the point of not being able to do something as incredibly basic as riding a broom - is because of Chariot draining her dreams, at least as far as Ursula herself thinks. It's possible that a single show simply couldn't drain all of someone's magic, hence why Akko still can do things, she's just very unskilled at it.

I think it's likely that Chariot never meant to hurt anyone with that risky of a gamble. We've seen how old magicians work, they arent willing to show off in public. It's very possible that Chariot thought that her show would only attract people that would never go to Luna Nova, after all, no self-respecting mage family would allow their children to watch such a terrible spectacle that goes against every rule of the magic world. And she was almost right!...except that one of the biggest magic families happened to allow it, or was unable to stop it; and a random child with no connection whatsoever to the magic world ended up loving it thanks to Chariot's own actions and had enough spunk to actually get into it.

No one was meant to get hurt (or rather, get hurt in ways that they'd actually realize) but that did not go as planned due to Akko and Diana. The former was a massive heart-break for her, realizing just how she hurt a poor, innocent girl's future. The latter could very well become a new hope, showing how the effects are not permanent with enough hard work and determination, after all, Diana is still a top-class mage despite having her magic and dreams drained.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Blaze Dragon posted:

Her extreme lack of talent - to the point of not being able to do something as incredibly basic as riding a broom - is because of Chariot draining her dreams, at least as far as Ursula herself thinks. It's possible that a single show simply couldn't drain all of someone's magic, hence why Akko still can do things, she's just very unskilled at it.

I think it's likely that Chariot never meant to hurt anyone with that risky of a gamble. We've seen how old magicians work, they arent willing to show off in public. It's very possible that Chariot thought that her show would only attract people that would never go to Luna Nova, after all, no self-respecting mage family would allow their children to watch such a terrible spectacle that goes against every rule of the magic world. And she was almost right!...except that one of the biggest magic families happened to allow it, or was unable to stop it; and a random child with no connection whatsoever to the magic world ended up loving it thanks to Chariot's own actions and had enough spunk to actually get into it.

No one was meant to get hurt (or rather, get hurt in ways that they'd actually realize) but that did not go as planned due to Akko and Diana. The former was a massive heart-break for her, realizing just how she hurt a poor, innocent girl's future. The latter could very well become a new hope, showing how the effects are not permanent with enough hard work and determination, after all, Diana is still a top-class mage despite having her magic and dreams drained.

One wonders how skilled Diana would be if she weren't​ drained at all. Then again, she might never have gained the incentive to work to her full potential otherwise.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I don't think it's even clear that she knew that harvesting dreams had side-effects that extreme. It seems easy to think of it as a free, harmless power source - I mean, where would you even begin to guess what the downsides might be?

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
This really caught me by surprise. :stare:

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
You know this will probably be reversed (also this is probably why Akko "leaves Luna Nova" like Diana predicted way back) but man that's loving cruel.

theGrooseofLegend
Dec 29, 2013
You see, I was wondering why Akko would be so upset that her role-model revealed herself in the preview. You'd think she'd be ecstatic over it. Guess that explains the reaction.

I also like how they made Diana's appearance in the Chariot show more plot-relevant than just a hint of her character. She'll probably be pivotal to Akko regaining her yay.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

I have a hunch that the final word might be Forgiveness. Chariot was unable to forgive herself for taking the dreams of young witches, and there'll be some sort of redemption arc for her.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

GIVE HER MOJO BACK :cry:

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

sincx posted:

So... how does this little plot twist work with the whole "LWA is an allegory for the anime industry" thing?

Something that is really inspiring but you get too hook onto it and you can't see how its derivative of the stuff that came before it?

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
Holy poo poo, guys and gals.

... holy poo poo.
Also this:

There Bias Two posted:

I have a hunch that the final word might be Forgiveness. Chariot was unable to forgive herself for taking the dreams of young witches, and there'll be some sort of redemption arc for her.

100%

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Snooze Cruise posted:

Something that is really inspiring but you get too hook onto it and you can't see how its derivative of the stuff that came before it?

Yeah. It's already been brought up that one of the inspirations for the show was Miyazaki talking about "Panda and the Magic Serpent".

It inspired him. He fell in love with it. It was the reason he went into animation. And when he went back to it...

Turned out it sucked eggs!

As a metaphor, it could also be pointing out how someone's initial desire to get into anime to make more stuff like the anime you liked (even if what you liked was, in and of itself, original and creative) can lead to just making more cookie-cutter imitations of what came before with no voice of your own. It's not fatal, hard work and just watching more stuff can fix it well enough, but the same things that give inspiration can prevent people from actually doing anything worthwhile with that inspiration. I mean, assuming this beat is primarily metaphor rather than something that came in from approaching the story as a story.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

ep 23 pv
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxDd5K1ZOeQ

finale pv
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFIpHxLYzFQ

chariot has a lightsaber and croix is a sith

Blank Construct
Jan 20, 2010

Shepard.

Nap Ghost
It's ending all too soon :(

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Season two if it sells well though

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHqdESArkqU&t=10s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

chiasaur11 posted:

Yeah. It's already been brought up that one of the inspirations for the show was Miyazaki talking about "Panda and the Magic Serpent".

It inspired him. He fell in love with it. It was the reason he went into animation. And when he went back to it...

Turned out it sucked eggs!

As a metaphor, it could also be pointing out how someone's initial desire to get into anime to make more stuff like the anime you liked (even if what you liked was, in and of itself, original and creative) can lead to just making more cookie-cutter imitations of what came before with no voice of your own. It's not fatal, hard work and just watching more stuff can fix it well enough, but the same things that give inspiration can prevent people from actually doing anything worthwhile with that inspiration. I mean, assuming this beat is primarily metaphor rather than something that came in from approaching the story as a story.

Yeah, like the show seems to be going in the direction of saying "its cool whatever it is that inspires you to get into something, but you need to grow past it." And you have Diana, who used to be in the same place Akko is, who does this very thing by focusing on the fundamentals of magic itself.

• Locked thread