Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

The panther with full survivability is also hilarious, you're a tiny as hell dual-PPC poptart, but you have the armor of a mech twice your tonnage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Skoll posted:

A game I will refuse to play out of principle. Assuming it ever releases.

It won't.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Duke Nukem Forever finally did. ;)

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

veedubfreak posted:

Duke Nukem Forever finally did. ;)

In that event, I guess the good news for Skoll is that if he toxxes it won't matter as SA will be dead and gone 10 years from now.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot
Can anyone explain to me how I'm supposed to play the Arctic Cheetah Prime?

I've tried Small Pulse Lasers, ER Large Laser, ER PPC, and ER Medium Lasers and I can't seem to do any damage in any of those builds. I pretty sure I'm playing it wrong to boot.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

Agrajag posted:

Can anyone explain to me how I'm supposed to play the Arctic Cheetah Prime?

I've tried Small Pulse Lasers, ER Large Laser, ER PPC, and ER Medium Lasers and I can't seem to do any damage in any of those builds. I pretty sure I'm playing it wrong to boot.

6 SPLs is the standard meta build.

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe
6 AC2 is still the primo dakka build, right?

Skoll posted:

A game I will refuse to play out of principle. Assuming it ever releases.

They better give that poo poo for free to founders because there is no way I'm paying 60 bucks for it.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Artificer posted:

6 SPLs is the standard meta build.

I seem to do the worst with spls. I end up spending more time running away than getting shots on target.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Agrajag posted:

I seem to do the worst with spls. I end up spending more time running away than getting shots on target.

Are you new to the game? Lights and assaults are the most challenging classes to play for pretty much the opposite reasons.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Cyrano4747 posted:

Are you new to the game? Lights and assaults are the most challenging classes to play for pretty much the opposite reasons.

started just over a week ago i think

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

I wouldn't really recommend light mechs until you have a better grasp of the maps and systems.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
I play it with 5 spls and 2 srm4s, just for a bit more oomph opening up backs.

Also, yes, you'll do a lot of running away. Just need to learn to engage correctly, something i still gently caress up more often than not.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Agrajag posted:

started just over a week ago i think

Yeah, screw around in a medium or a heavy for a while. Whatever's up on the trial mechs will be fine. Don't get me wrong, the arctic cheetah is a great mech, but it's not really newbie friendly.

In both assaults and lights you really have to know the maps and they're unforgiving. In lights you have to know how the battle flows and when you can run in and use your speed and maneuverability to gently caress people up while they're distracted by your team mates. You also really have to know the map to know what your attack and escape routes are. If you gently caress up you are a fragile little thing and will die.

As an assault you're slow enough that you need to know where to go right off. If you get out of position you're going to be a while getting back. You have a ton of guns and armor but if you get caught out of position can die easily to a light jumping behind you. You're also a prime target so need to know how to spread damage by twisting.

Mediums and heavies are tankier and in between the two and just a lot more newbie friendly as a result. I'm a big fan of the hunchbacks as newbie mechs as they will teach all the major gameplay types (AC, laser boat, missiles) plus are good for corner peeking and hill humping AND teach you to toso twist. The Thunderbolt is also good as a newbie heavy, although there are plenty of heavies that are good at it.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

https://www.reddit.com/r/OutreachHPG/comments/6ffufp/growing_cbill_release_delay_for_mech_packs/

Someone put through some interesting numbers on the times between release dates of mechs.

Edit: Also they're doing an energy weapon rebalancing.

It will go poorly.

Artificer fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Jun 6, 2017

armchairyoda
Sep 17, 2008
Melman

BattleTech posted:

They better give that poo poo for free to founders because there is no way I'm paying 60 bucks for it.

lol, nice username/blatant lie combo.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Artificer posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/OutreachHPG/comments/6ffufp/growing_cbill_release_delay_for_mech_packs/

Someone put through some interesting numbers on the times between release dates of mechs.

Edit: Also they're doing an energy weapon rebalancing.

Wow, yeah, that's pretty bad. Nearly a year of exclusivity on a pair of assault mechs that are likely to be best in class for each faction.

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe

armchairyoda posted:

lol, nice username/blatant lie combo.

I've had enough :pgi: for a lifetime, I'll be good now...probably.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Agrajag posted:

never stop moving, never be the main thing they're focusing on, never shoot a robot more than three times before running away, your mission is to survive to the end.

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.
Your heat should never be zeroed out. If you're running away it should be after you've taken a shot, even if it's just a pot shot. You're limited in the amount of damage you can put out during a game, and lights have to start shooting early and then maintain their shooting throughout the match to be able to pull their part of the weight.

The only exception is if you are just plain getting chased by overwhelming numbers, and if you're squirreling properly then you'll post relatively low numbers. The impact on the match even with those small numbers can be huge if you take two or three heavies/assaults out of the fight and have them hunting around instead of fighting in the team fight.

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...
It may seem counter intuitive, but the faster the light you are and the closer to the enemy team you are, the more you need to not rely on stopping, turning, and running away. Use enemy mechs as cover and just charge through an enemy team if you have to. It's better to have an out while engaging, but sometimes the best cover is the enemy. If you are an ECM light, I strongly suggest investing in the two ECM nodes. It makes it easier to sneak up on, and escape from, the enemy team.

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.
Using enemy mechs as cover is a technique to be used at all weights, just be sure you aren't giving cover to the enemy mech from your teammates when you're doing this.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

quote:

Balance Adjustments
As mentioned in some previous posts and updates, June brings with it an initial phase of Energy weapon adjustments. Full details will be provided with the June Patch Notes, but the focus of this pass is twofold: provide better role definition between the different Energy types, and most importantly, foster a better baseline balance between IS and Clan Energy weapons.

I wasn't aware that energy weapons needed rebalancing. Do you guys think it will be a normalization of range and heat generation between IS and Clan tech?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Agrajag posted:

I wasn't aware that energy weapons needed rebalancing. Do you guys think it will be a normalization of range and heat generation between IS and Clan tech?

nah. that's way too core to what makes MW a battletech game. If anything I'd expect them to dick with burn times.

Sonderval
Sep 10, 2011
Weren't they going to gently caress with the damage dropoff at one point?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Sonderval posted:

Weren't they going to gently caress with the damage dropoff at one point?

Pretty sure they already did. It's why if someone's hitting you at near max range with cERLL you barely notice.

Lonjon
Jun 26, 2007

Books are the real treasures of the world!
Fun Shoe
Lighttalk

Never run directly towards or away from an enemy that is aware of you. Doing so gives away a free kill. Always approach an aware enemy at angles.

I always run away from even fights. Last thing I want to do as a light is get stuck in a 1 v 1 dogfight with another light.

1 vs 1 fights against assaults are not even. The light robot has the advantage. Sneak up on that fat bastard and shoot him in the asscrack.

I almost always fit pulse lasers in lights. Their ability to focus damage in one spot is invaluable for fast janky fights.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Finished my 25 cadet bonus matches, so now I've got around 16 million c-bills kicking around while I figure out which mechs to start with.

I see that the OP recommends the Stormcrow or Timberwolf to start, and I like the idea of being able to swap components instead of buying whole new variants, but I can get like three IS mechs for the cost of that one Timberwolf or Stormcrow. Plus wouldn't that lock me into playing Clan in the faction play matches?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Finished my 25 cadet bonus matches, so now I've got around 16 million c-bills kicking around while I figure out which mechs to start with.

I see that the OP recommends the Stormcrow or Timberwolf to start, and I like the idea of being able to swap components instead of buying whole new variants, but I can get like three IS mechs for the cost of that one Timberwolf or Stormcrow. Plus wouldn't that lock me into playing Clan in the faction play matches?

First off, you don't need to be worrying about faction play for now. poo poo, you need 4 mechs to make a drop deck, and plus it kind of sucks.

Second you don't need to worry about the raw number of mechs you buy for now. They recently changed things a lot, so you odn't need multiples of the same mech any more.

I'm a huge fan of the hunchback as a beginner mech, but the timberwolf would also be a great pick, possibly better with the changes that they made. You can out fit a TB for just about any of the major play styles, so it'a great one to start with.

Thinking about it as I write this, yeah, get the timber wolf. That's one that you'll keep using for a long, long time.

Swiller of Beer
Jan 2, 2003
Cold Hearted S.O.B.
Soiled Meat
The best mindset to play lights is to be as annoying as possible. Cause chaos behind the enemy lines and then bail. Shoot butts when available. Vulture kills of cored mechs. Be the mosquito that doesn't get swatted. If you're really worried about your damage numbers carry an extra arty strike.

teepo
Oct 14, 2004

yospos
aren't the new weapons and poo poo coming out next month?

balance is going to be all sorts of hosed and it'll be glorious

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Lonjon posted:

1 vs 1 fights against assaults are not even. The light robot has the advantage. Sneak up on that fat bastard and shoot him in the asscrack.

Beware fast assaults like the Victor and Gargoyle, they can turn fast enough to catch you if you don't hit and run.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Also a lot of IS mechs have hidden costs - endo/ff/engine upgrades. A timberwolf is good out of the box, and omnipods give you the ability to completely change your mech for cheap.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

PoptartsNinja posted:

Beware fast assaults like the Victor and Gargoyle, they can turn fast enough to catch you if you don't hit and run.

Beware the Victor and Executioner, no matter who you are.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Cyrano4747 posted:

First off, you don't need to be worrying about faction play for now. poo poo, you need 4 mechs to make a drop deck, and plus it kind of sucks.

Second you don't need to worry about the raw number of mechs you buy for now. They recently changed things a lot, so you odn't need multiples of the same mech any more.

I'm a huge fan of the hunchback as a beginner mech, but the timberwolf would also be a great pick, possibly better with the changes that they made. You can out fit a TB for just about any of the major play styles, so it'a great one to start with.

Thinking about it as I write this, yeah, get the timber wolf. That's one that you'll keep using for a long, long time.

Alrighty, Timberwolf it is.

I guess I was thinking about faction play mostly because it at least seems like it's a good way to earn c-bills what with the bonuses and from what I was reading it's the only way outside of events to get free mechbays. That the case?

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
It is the only way to get mechbays outside of events but it's loving awful and not good cbills because of the queue downtime.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Alrighty, Timberwolf it is.

I guess I was thinking about faction play mostly because it at least seems like it's a good way to earn c-bills what with the bonuses and from what I was reading it's the only way outside of events to get free mechbays. That the case?

They changed poo poo up a while ago to where those mech bays are a seriously ugly grind. If you run out of mech bays you're way, WAY better off just holding off until they put them on sale and dropping a few real dollars. That said, they're given away during events often enough.

Also faction warfare is not a money maker unless you're in a coordinated group that can routinely win. Otherwise you're a lot better grinding for c-bills in solo queue.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Oh gently caress, wait! Don't buy a Timberwolf! The mobility changes gutted it. The Hellbringer is a much better generalist recommendation in the current game-state.

Also, hey, can someone set our contract to Clan something or other? There's a bunch of FW challenges coming with the new event, and it would be nice to take the easier side this time around.

Edit: These Challenges. The final reward of a Battlemaster-1G is nice. It's a pretty good robit.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Jun 6, 2017

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Timber is still fine.
Ebon Jag does everything the Timber does but is a little faster, no jumpjets.
Night Gyr does the same thing as both but goes slower and can mount shittons of ballistics.

All 3 are still excellent mechs.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

God yes change to clan contract. The challenges are to win invasion games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

veedubfreak posted:

Timber is still fine.
Ebon Jag does everything the Timber does but is a little faster, no jumpjets.
Night Gyr does the same thing as both but goes slower and can mount shittons of ballistics.

All 3 are still excellent mechs.

Ehh, the Timber is... okay? But it's no longer a flexible jack of all trades. For every role it can fill there, are at least one or two other clan heavies that do the job much better.

I wouldn't recommend it as a start mech anymore.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Jun 6, 2017

• Locked thread