Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Trunko posted:

Haha did they remove the link to Something Awful that was under "discussion" on the Crawl webpage?
Did we scare all the devs away from this thread?

Internet Kraken posted:

We're just not focused on the important issues with Crawl right now like *checks tavern* ...removing Beogh!
Please don't tell me this is something actually being considered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Not really, no.

I posted a bunch of words about beogh issues and what I think beogh reform should be in that thread and people largely seemed to be into it. Not that the devs(dpeg in particular) seemed interested in beogh removal in the first place anyways.

LazyMaybe fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Jun 5, 2017

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Indecisive posted:

Holy loving buttshit how do you get a NaTm of chei off the ground, should I turn off everything but unarmed and transmutations until I can loving kill poo poo or what. I swear to gently caress I've died to every random trash mob in the first 5 floors, finally got to temple and promptly got destroyed by bees despite pulling them into a hallway because I just could not loving hit them. Should I just say gently caress casting and throw on the heaviest armor I can for a while since you don't get a useful spell until like lair anyway? what is the magic secret, aside from spamming poison breath on anything tougher than a cockroach

You get spiderform, aka the second best form after dragon, at level 3. Once you get spiderform you should use it in literally every fight unless having negative rPois will kill you, which is not often. The evasion, poison branding and extra base damage are all fantastic.

In the cases where -rPois might hurt, use iceform. It's worse than spiderform but for bees/spiny frogs/black mambas it works out okay. Really the transmuter starter book is one of the starters where you should learn every single spell in it.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Sticks to snakes is also secret tech

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
Where th heck you gonna find sticks in a flippin' Dungeon???

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

Maxmaps posted:

Did they change Wyrmbane? I'm at +18 and Bone Dragons aren't getting me to +20. Also, being a formicid of chei, is there even a Bardiche or something that can beat this green stick?

Wyrmbane has never gone above +18. If you find a high enchant bardiche with a good brand I would use it, otherwise I would use Wyrmbane and burn your enchant weapons on a ranged weapon. Any other race it's an automatic switch to shield but your wyrmbane does not enjoy that advantage over a bardiche.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
On the other hand, Chei stats probably make that Wyrmbane a monster of a weapon. That it's faster than a bardiche helps, plus far less skill investment required. Unless that bardiche has a holy brand and you're doing extended, of course.

Maxmaps
Oct 21, 2008

Not actually a shark.

jon joe posted:

On the other hand, Chei stats probably make that Wyrmbane a monster of a weapon. That it's faster than a bardiche helps, plus far less skill investment required. Unless that bardiche has a holy brand and you're doing extended, of course.

I found a +3 one of Chopping, but so far Wyrmbane's been basically breaking everything. I'm on the lookout for a triple sword as a possible upgrade, or as you said, a Holy Bardiche.

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

Maxmaps posted:

I found a +3 one of Chopping, but so far Wyrmbane's been basically breaking everything. I'm on the lookout for a triple sword as a possible upgrade, or as you said, a Holy Bardiche.

Triple swords and Bardiches both require 26 skill - for the cost of swapping to a triple sword you could raise 4 skills at 0 aptitude to 16. 3 skills for a bardiche. This is why I recommended using Wyrmbane and developing a ranged weapon. Also, if the resists on Wyrmbane let you slot AC, EV, or Slaying in other locations it's still better than a good bard or anything but an awesome randart weapon or a bard of speed.

I wouldn't trade it in on anything but like a +7 or higher bardiche of flaming or freezing and even then late in the game when your resists and other skills are solid. The weapon comparisons do not mention in the critical fights in Zot, branch ends, and the orb run you are likely to have might going and want to have more time to react to events, both of which make the higher attack speed on Wyrmbane more valuable.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

IronicDongz posted:

Not really, no.

I posted a bunch of words about beogh issues and what I think beogh reform should be in that thread and people largely seemed to be into it. Not that the devs(dpeg in particular) seemed interested in beogh removal in the first place anyways.

as someone who had a lot of fun with beogh, this actually does sound pretty good. the 'you passively recruit orcs you run into' idea is cool and all until you start to run into the actual annoying logistics issues with that

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.
Is there any way I can playing using webtiles (or online), but also get the nice QoL improvements of mouse interactive menues on the right side. The stuff like my current inventory, castable spells and other menu items that show up there make the game so much nicer to play since I have a hard time at the moment memorising every single key.

I could just download and play it offline but I also like the online score tracking and connection to other player's ghosts and stuff.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee
In short, no.

kickascii
Mar 30, 2010

Indecisive posted:

Holy loving buttshit how do you get a NaTm of chei off the ground, should I turn off everything but unarmed and transmutations until I can loving kill poo poo or what. I swear to gently caress I've died to every random trash mob in the first 5 floors, finally got to temple and promptly got destroyed by bees despite pulling them into a hallway because I just could not loving hit them. Should I just say gently caress casting and throw on the heaviest armor I can for a while since you don't get a useful spell until like lair anyway? what is the magic secret, aside from spamming poison breath on anything tougher than a cockroach

Played transmuter all weekend, died a lot. Here's how I started optimizing my early game. I was playing draconians and octopedes.
- get spider form castable first
- then put some points into fighting, unarmed, dodging
- not too many points because you want blade hands castable for lair1. Yellow fail rate will do.
- after blade hands pump more fight, unarmed, dodge
- if you play basic conservative, you should be fine till lair. Ie, dont move into unexplored tiles with an aggrod monster visible, use the stairs to split mobs liberally.
-fight pretty much everything in spider form
-Avoid dangerous areas and come back later.
-snakes are your trump card. Use them against yellow conned mobs liberally. You can usually use them to take out rares.
-hydras are nasty. Soften them up with wands and finish with ice form
-ice form is not great because you cant dodge for poo poo with it up. It's for bees, other yellow conned ice beasts, hydras. Spiny frogs only if you dont have blade hands yet.

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe
Spider form is considerably less attractive to Naga who lose the AC and egos from both their body armor and barding. Blade Hands is your goal and Spider Form and Sticks to Snakes is how you get there. I would be more liberal with the sticks to snakes with a Naga^Chei who cannot run from fights.

Statue Form is a no brainer if you can find it. Both Chei and Statue Form have less of a malus from Naga who already have slow movement and if you go Chei the movement loss from statform is inconsequential. You can win with Blade Hands if you don't find it, and I usually keep blade hands for situations where I don't want to be slowed in all actions.

The biggest mistake people make with Chei is not using the powers liberally. Bend time in almost every fight, temporal distortion on centaurs, slouch any time you need to even the odds in a fight. Chei pretty much demands you know how much danger you are in for any situation, and since Chei changes the power curve considerably your previous experience is not terribly helpful. You also need to be very aware of when noise might draw more forest friends. I try to not start any fight with Chei where I would not be comfortable berserking with Trog.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

IronicDongz posted:

Not really, no.

Did we really get accused of being overly attached to old flavor in our complaints? Because I am genuinely having trouble remembering the last time the thread's complaints were even about flavor. Even with HE removal (which, for the record, I support in retrospect), most of the complaints I remember seeing were about the loss of a mechanical niche.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

We complain about flavor a lot in here. Like a lot a lot.

I don't see why this is bad.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love
Fellow Crawlers... I just ignited V5 and it was perhaps some of the most fun I've had in a long time.

Worth getting a caster going just to experience the triumph that is 'sploding the entire ambush party.

10/10 would sink countless experience into best spell schools (Fire/Conj) again

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

PMush Perfect posted:

Did we really get accused of being overly attached to old flavor in our complaints? Because I am genuinely having trouble remembering the last time the thread's complaints were even about flavor. Even with HE removal (which, for the record, I support in retrospect), most of the complaints I remember seeing were about the loss of a mechanical niche.

Ogre M&F aptitude. Since the mechanical arguments were what they wanted to change about the species, all that was left was the flavor arguments that could be ignored. I still think M&F needs to at least match the Polearms aptitude because of player/monster discrepancy (most players are likely to only see ogres with big maces/clubs, since ogre mages with spears are way later in the game).

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Admittedly, it's never easy disentangling what people want from what they think they want, but I feel like we've gotten pretty decent at elucidating our reasons for wanting certain things gone/changed.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Always Remember Yiuf's Hammers.

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
Playing dungeon croquette with Yuif's hammers and Boulder Beetles

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Trunko posted:

Playing dungeon croquette with Yuif's hammers and Boulder Beetles
RIP Boulder Beetles. You were strange and quirky and kind of harmless.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

quote:

There are two good hostile status effects in the game and they are paralysis and slow. Petrify, fear, mesm, weak, sap, corr, flay, poison, sticky flame, constrict, etc. are all too weak to be impactful and their only effect is to annoy you and force you to either play slower or die (and make the game harder to learn). Some of them like sleep, confuse, flash freeze, roots, and petrify are direct variants of paralysis or slow with inferior design.

Seriously the people on Tavern sound like they are playing completely different games.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

quote:

their only effect is to annoy you and force you to either play slower or die (and make the game harder to learn)
That sounds pretty impactful to me! Learning to play slower is 90% of not dying anyway.

Internet Kraken posted:

Seriously the people on Tavern sound like they are playing completely different games.
Another tell is when they're handing out advice that's just fine for their own skill level but would get a less-skilled player killed. A lot of high-tier strategies have very little leeway for doing things wrong, but are great when you do things exactly right.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Internet Kraken posted:

Tavern has no idea what game balance is, film at fuckin 11.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

redneck nazgul posted:

Tavern has no idea what game balance is, film at fuckin 11.

The community of literally any game ever tends to be very wrong about game balance. Satisfying the requirements of even passable 'balance' for most players along the skill curve is very hard and most people do not think about the game outside of either their own skill level, or that of the very best players

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Internet Kraken posted:

:agreed:

This is going to sound elitist as gently caress, but the paywall does a lot to force a sort of level of thoughtfulness into posts. Anyone can make an account on Tavern, shitpost a bunch, and then disappear without losing anything. With SA, even the subconscious knowledge that you paid money for your account gives you a bit of investment in that persona/identity, and, as a result, you get a very different sort of forum culture.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
No it doesn't. It needs moderation, same as any forum. You get what you cultivate and SA mods have done a pretty good job of it here.

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe
Tournament 4 streak!

code:
             Escaped with the Orb
             ... and 3 runes on June 6, 2017!
araganzar the Wrestler (Troll Necromancer)         Turns: 67926, Time: 06:02:23

Health: 267/267    AC: 23    Str: 26    XL:     27
Magic:  41/41      EV: 22    Int: 18    God:    Okawaru [******]
Gold:   4006       SH: 27    Dex: 23    Spells: 2/40 levels left

rFire    + + +     SeeInvis +     - Unarmed
rCold    . . .     Gourm    +   s - +5 large shield of Claustrophobia {+Inv rF+ Dex+3 Stlth-}
rNeg     . . .     Faith    .   O - +2 robe {Archmagi}
rPois    +         Spirit   +   d - +1 hat of the True Pharaoh {*Corrode rPois rF+ Slay+5}
rElec    .         Reflect  .   P - +4 dragonskin cloak
rCorr    .         Harm     .   (gloves unavailable)
MR       +++..     Rnd*Rage +   (boots unavailable)
Stlth    +.........             F - amulet of Limitation {Spirit rC- Int+2 Dex+6 SInv}
Regen    1.4/turn               l - ring "Hotroza" {*Contam rC+ MR+ MP+9 Int+4}
MPRegen  0.3/turn               V - ring of Robustness {AC+8}
Couple of dicey moments but getting an early ring with wiz and relec and int 4 helped making it to statform immensely. Also found the ring "Zugonov" {rCorr rElec rPois rF+ Str+2} on D15 which made the midgame a lot easier.

I have a DDGl of Mak to Lair 2 now, so unless I do something dumb or never find a drat battleaxe I have a good chance at a 5 streak....

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Sage Grimm posted:

No it doesn't. It needs moderation, same as any forum. You get what you cultivate and SA mods have done a pretty good job of it here.
Well, yes, but you can't deny that ban dodging is, if not harder, at least significantly more expensive.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

kickascii posted:

Played transmuter all weekend, died a lot. Here's how I started optimizing my early game. I was playing draconians and octopedes.
- get spider form castable first
- then put some points into fighting, unarmed, dodging
- not too many points because you want blade hands castable for lair1. Yellow fail rate will do.
- after blade hands pump more fight, unarmed, dodge
- if you play basic conservative, you should be fine till lair. Ie, dont move into unexplored tiles with an aggrod monster visible, use the stairs to split mobs liberally.
-fight pretty much everything in spider form
-Avoid dangerous areas and come back later.
-snakes are your trump card. Use them against yellow conned mobs liberally. You can usually use them to take out rares.
-hydras are nasty. Soften them up with wands and finish with ice form
-ice form is not great because you cant dodge for poo poo with it up. It's for bees, other yellow conned ice beasts, hydras. Spiny frogs only if you dont have blade hands yet.

Thanks for this, very helpful. I guess I underestimated just how important it is to get spider form ASAP, been finding it much easier now. The first 3-4 levels are still a struggle of praying that I can 1v1 adders and poo poo but after that it's pretty manageable.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

PMush Perfect posted:

:agreed:

This is going to sound elitist as gently caress, but the paywall does a lot to force a sort of level of thoughtfulness into posts. Anyone can make an account on Tavern, shitpost a bunch, and then disappear without losing anything. With SA, even the subconscious knowledge that you paid money for your account gives you a bit of investment in that persona/identity, and, as a result, you get a very different sort of forum culture.

Your point is undermined by that quote coming from one of the most prolific tavern posters :v:

I think a big issue with Crawl's veteran community is they aren't judging stuff from an objective standpoint. After putting 100+ hours into this game, of course its gonna be significantly easier. Its a single player game, so the difficulty is set. Every game you play is a chance to improve but the game is never gonna get harder*, so once you learn how to play it then of course it seems easier. But a single-player game should feel a lot easier after hundreds of hours, cause otherwise the time investment required to be good at it would be insane. And even then, the number of players that can actually maintain impressive win ratios and streaks is pretty small.

*obviously changes across versions can make the game harder or easier, but the core mechanics remain the same. Someone who was good at 0.18 won't suddenly be poo poo at 0.19.

Mu.
Sep 15, 2003

The thing about Forevereal Modding Mu is that he loves editing files and wants others to download his permanent mods. Fully editing, rich text, altering files and loving it. Download his mods and enjoy it.

gammafunk
Dec 19, 2015

Not gonna lie, I'm pretty jealous of that Zot:5.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Translation for us webtiles plebians?

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

PMush Perfect posted:

Translation for us webtiles plebians?

I think the X is the orb, and the green < is the stairs

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Most of the level (everything except the lungs) is cut off entirely from his position thanks to the map-wide vault that got split in half by the orb vault. Which means he can ignore everything in it and also everything in the lungs that steps on a teleport trap.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
And technically it fulfills the algorithm for matching the orb vault with the map so it's a great edge case bug.

(The x you see is the cursor when you're looking at the entire map in ASCII mode so you can move your view up or down to see everything)

Space Cob
Jan 24, 2006

a pilot on fire is not fit to fly

Congrats on finding the dick and balls Zot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu.
Sep 15, 2003

The thing about Forevereal Modding Mu is that he loves editing files and wants others to download his permanent mods. Fully editing, rich text, altering files and loving it. Download his mods and enjoy it.
I just collected all 15 runes and then died on the ascension because a pan lord petrified me and then cast shatter for 135 damage. Thanks everyone.

• Locked thread