Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

im also just not even sure its true, no ones ever made that same choice as a in his prime mvp to join a team that was just in the finals. its such a brilliant career move i wonder what in the arithmetic has been so different for so many other people

Lockback posted:

I've known lots of people who left good jobs for better jobs because it was the best move, I've never known that phrase to have any sort of disgrace or anything.

im not really married to defending my personal connotations of that phrase in this context. lets just agree im wrong about it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

Time posted:

*gives chunkles the nod saying get over here* actually, if you look at this graph 📈, it says the rockets are the best 🚀 🚀 🚀

if you'll look at graph #43, you'll see that playing defense has a high correlation with being a chump who can't grow facial hair or worse, being a san antonio spur. quod erat demonstrandum

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
My only problem with Durant is I believed he really believed all the family stuff he said and was disappointed that in that it was just business and basketball like it was for everyone else, but it's hard to blame a guy too much for just being a normal person especially with the Thunder making sure to remind him that it's just a business over and over again.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Time posted:

Kevin Durant's biggest crime was betraying my friend metapod, and for that he is now my enemy

Poor Metapod.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Having fun being mad at the heel

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

chunkles posted:

if you'll look at graph #43, you'll see that playing defense has a high correlation with being a chump who can't grow facial hair or worse, being a san antonio spur. quod erat demonstrandum

lol

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Metapod posted:

why does everyone think this is the issue? Durant leaving is and was perfectly fine. The issue was HE WENT TO A TEAM THAT WON 73 GAMES THAT HE HAD A 3-1 ON IN THE WCF

E: Another issue is that KD won't shut the gently caress up and has to keep trying to justify his decision to the public

Thats cool to me

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

A Gnarlacious Bro posted:

Oh no it's a work

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

sportsgenius86 posted:

I believe it's possible to think that everything Durant did was a totally fair exploitation of the system and still think that he's a big bitchbaby coward for doing it.
My basketball sensibilities are offended by an MVP-level player joining a 73-9 team that won a championship the year before and if he easily wins a ring by doing so, it will only prove my point!

RCarr posted:

No it literally was the best move. Using the word best doesn't have strings attached to it.
It was not the best move because he has debased himself in the eyes of God

Fast Luck fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Jun 6, 2017

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

The Thunder didn't make much of a commitment to him in terms of winning a championship. They really have no one to blame but themselves.

He wanted a championship and while he could have won one with the Thunder it was much easier to go to the Warriors where it was a lock as long as people stayed healthy.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

A Gnarlacious Bro posted:

KD isn't a heel he's Roman Reigns not understanding why he's getting booed all the time

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Niwrad posted:

The Thunder didn't make much of a commitment to him in terms of winning a championship. They really have no one to blame but themselves.

Wtf is this revisionist history

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

EvanTH posted:

KD isn't a heel he's Roman Reigns not understanding why he's getting booed all the time

Roman Reigns is a heel you silly boy, he's a heel to people who smarmy smarks who take wrestling way too seriously

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Metapod posted:

Trading James Harden because they didn't want to pay the luxury tax. They decided what was more important.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

Metapod posted:

Niwrad posted:

Trading James Harden because they didn't want to pay the luxury tax. They decided what was more important.

No, you see this wasn't extremely bad and one of the worst moves in NBA history because...

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

it was pretty bad but he was not an mvp canidate at the time, its nowhere near one of the worst moves in nba history its probably not even top 10 *hopes 2 start list fight about worst nba moves*

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
It was extremely bad then and it's only gotten worse over time and it's easily the worst deal in NBA history in retrospect.

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

what else is in your top 10, a buff gay dude

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
Probably the unprotected pick the celts will use on fultz and the Barkley trade but I'm watching hockey now and don't wanna think of 7 more

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

The Lillard trade was really bad. Nets traded their lottery pick for half a season of Gerald Wallace who was going to be an UFA at the end of the season. The Nets were not in playoff contention either.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Niwrad posted:

Yep one move in 2012 defines the entire franchise forever. The actually paying the luxury tax, going after vets, and trades after that mean absolutely nothing

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Rick posted:

My only problem with Durant is I believed he really believed all the family stuff he said and was disappointed that in that it was just business and basketball like it was for everyone else, but it's hard to blame a guy too much for just being a normal person especially with the Thunder making sure to remind him that it's just a business over and over again.

Chris Paul, David West, and Tyson Chandler went through that same thing once the Hornets attempted to trade Chandler away to OKC.

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

the nets traded the house for a 200 year old kg and a only good enough to single handedly beat the raptors paul pierce i think it might win out on trading your 6th man away

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.

Metapod posted:

Yep one move in 2012 defines the entire franchise forever. The actually paying the luxury tax, going after vets, and trades after that mean absolutely nothing

I mean it does because it basically hosed them forever but you see it was the right decision in hindsight because...

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

It was extremely bad then and it's only gotten worse over time and it's easily the worst deal in NBA history in retrospect.

Look at the trade that gave the Lakers Magic Johnson.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Metapod posted:

They had arguably the best young core in NBA history and gave it up because their billionaire owner with a taxpayer funded arena didn't want to pay the luxury tax. Panicking and giving Enes Kanter a max contract a few years later would probably not make up for that.

That franchise showed where their loyalties lied when it mattered. Only when Durant was on the verge of leaving did they suddenly care about winning.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Isn't lebron basically the reason why that luxury tax thing was an issue in the first place

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
https://www.quora.com/How-did-the-Lakers-get-to-draft-Magic-Johnson-in-1979-and-James-Worthy-in-1982

quote:

In 1976 the New Orleans Jazz signed Gail Goodrich away from the Lakers. League rules at the time required one team to compensate another for signing away veteran players. As compensation, the Jazz and the Lakers traded a handful of picks, including the New Orleans’ first-round pick in 1979.[1]

In 1980, Ted Stepien — he of the Stepien rule fame — bought the Cleveland Cavaliers. Stepien was, to put it mildly, not all-in on the NBA draft, and began to trade away the Cavs’ draft picks; the team swapped future first-round picks (1982) and journeymen players who never amounted to much.

[1] The Jazz, obviously, stunk that year. The team, being at best average to begin with, was plagued with injuries as their three highest scorers all played less than fifty games.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Libertine posted:

I mean it does because it basically hosed them forever but you see it was the right decision in hindsight because...

Did I say it was the correct decision? Have I ever said it was the correct decision? No because it wasn't. But that doesn't mean a franchise is not committed to winning a championship cause get this they probably make it back to the championship in 13 if not for bev

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Niwrad posted:

They had arguably the best young core in NBA history and gave it up because their billionaire owner with a taxpayer funded arena didn't want to pay the luxury tax. Panicking and giving Enes Kanter a max contract a few years later would probably not make up for that.

That franchise showed where their loyalties lied when it mattered. Only when Durant was on the verge of leaving did they suddenly care about winning.

That's why they went after pau? That's why they kepted signing players like dfish and caron butler because they didn't care about winning?

EMC
Aug 17, 2004

It isn't as high profile as the Harden trade because of the teams involved but let us not forget about the Kings/76ers trade from like 3 years ago where the Kings cleared a heap of cap room (to sign players who then went elsewhere) and threw in Stauskas and a first round pick just because http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2015/7/1/8882061/kings-nik-stauskas-carl-landry-jason-thompson-trade-76ers

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

i think indicting them for their coaching and inability to find good role players when other championship teams just churn through them makes more sense

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Metapod posted:

That's why they went after pau? That's why they kepted signing players like dfish and caron butler because they didn't care about winning?

So they weren't cheap? Just grossly incompetent?

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
I can't wait for when people start saying KD could never get to the playoffs in OKC

They already kinda ignore that he was MVP with them

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

EMC posted:

It isn't as high profile as the Harden trade because of the teams involved but let us not forget about the Kings/76ers trade from like 3 years ago where the Kings cleared a heap of cap room (to sign players who then went elsewhere) and threw in Stauskas and a first round pick just because http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2015/7/1/8882061/kings-nik-stauskas-carl-landry-jason-thompson-trade-76ers

The most disastrous pick that no one talks about is the Clippers sending an unprotected 1st rounder to dump Baron Davis that ended up becoming Kyrie Irving

A pick that was unprotected to salary dump with an amnesty on the horizon

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Lessail posted:

I can't wait for when people start saying KD could never get to the playoffs in OKC

They already kinda ignore that he was MVP with them

I may be upset that there is no justice but what we make and that we will never have the power to make it because the cosmos was born broken, but discounting an MVP is just senseless.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Clippers trading Baron Davis and the pick that won #1 and became Kyrie Irving for Mo Williams has got to be WAYYY up there in worst moves. And the trade was straight up out of spite for Baron Davis.

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

actually you can discount derrick roses mvp and iggys finals mvp

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

KD left OKC because the best player he ever played with was Thabo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

If you go back in time teams would give up 1st round picks like nothing. I remember the Bulls getting a 1st for Luc Longley and a 1st for Steve Kerr after the breakup of the Championship team. Longley had a hosed up ankle and I don't even think played for Phoenix. Krause was all-in on "the process".

The Knicks giving up a bunch of assets for Carmelo when they could have just signed him as an UFA in the offseason.

• Locked thread